Options

Concert Merchandise

I am certian this subject is posted somewhere, but I could not find it anywhere, so here goes...

At the last 3 concerts I attended: Brooklyn, Charlotte, Mikwaukee, I was in the door within 30 minutes of them opening and in line to buy merchandise. At all 3 by the time I was talking to the sales person all the buttons and stickers had been sold. At Milwaukee the sales person told me one person bought 50 of each.

So I go on eBay yesterday just for kicks and see these are selling for up to 10x of face value!!

Isn't there a way the number purchased at a concert can be limited so more fans can purchase merchandise and fewer people can be profiting from our love of the band? Or can these high volume items be offered through 10C for members?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Questions a lot of us have been asking, especially about trying to limit the show specific merchandise so people can't buy 50 at a time. Guy next to me in Detroit literally bought 10 of the Hockey jerseys.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I bought one of the Denver stickers on ebay for $41 and didn't have to wait 5 hours in line to get it
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    TUTMAN08 said:

I am certian this subject is posted somewhere, but I could not find it anywhere, so here goes...

At the last 3 concerts I attended: Brooklyn, Charlotte, Mikwaukee, I was in the door within 30 minutes of them opening and in line to buy merchandise. At all 3 by the time I was talking to the sales person all the buttons and stickers had been sold. At Milwaukee the sales person told me one person bought 50 of each.

So I go on eBay yesterday just for kicks and see these are selling for up to 10x of face value!!

Isn't there a way the number purchased at a concert can be limited so more fans can purchase merchandise and fewer people can be profiting from our love of the band? Or can these high volume items be offered through 10C for members?

Thanks

It's how so called fans are funding their tour. They stop at the merch line, stock up on that city's goods and up on ebay withing 5 mins of purchasing.

10 hockey jerseies? Holyfuck, ya he's NOT flipping.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238012/2014-us-tour-merch-thread/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/234577/this-has-to-stop/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238213/time-to-start-limiting-sticker-purchases/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/236049/10c-a-request-regarding-sticker-and-pin-badge-buttons-for-fall-tour/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238747/lincoln-merchandise-line/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238753/no-line-at-mellow-johnnys-right-now/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238423/st-louis-merch-line-inside-security/p1
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/238146/st-louis-merch-lines/p1

And those are just the ones I've participated in!

Basically during the tour this was discussed at length. Around the 3rd show sometimes the merch staff limited the quantity. I can't remember which show it was but when it first opened they limited it to ten, then 5, then eventually 2. The thing is 10c doesn't staff these merch booths, it's venue staff. And 10c can't really police every single aspect of what people are doing for every show. They're called on to do something about the GA line, about the merch line, and really they've got other shit to do, I'm sure. I've never worked for them so I don't know 100% what the day to day responsibilities are but I would imagine they increase exponentially during the actual tour. Someone has to facilitate all the stuff GETTING to the venue on time and being accounted for, plus calculate all the sales and manage (more like damage control, amirite?!?) the inventory once the show shuts down. Set up and break down of the merch booths at each venue from an inventory management point of view sounds like a nightmare to me lol.

That's not to say nothing should be done, because it really sucks that they sell out and the stuff winds up being resold at insane costs. I've got shut out of merch at shows AND I waited in line for 3 hours like a jackass. I don't think there's a simple solution. If anything, I think it might help if they were able to put the stickers and pins up for sale in the shop, because it would discourage (though certainly not eradicate) flippers at the merch booths because once they're available in the shop the resale value decreases. Yes, you will have some suckers buying at inflated prices on the bay but at the same time people like the members here who value their time more than the resale price would know they can get it in the shop later (like with the posters).
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    I just don't understand why 10club doesn't just print more of these tour stickers and just sell them online. They would make A TON of money! Plus they would be making fans all over the world very VERY happy.

If there's a huge demand for certain products, why not fill that need? Make the customers happy. The stickers were not signed & numbered. Right? So they can still print more of these. Plus have you seen the bootlegged Pearl Jam stickers out there? It's kinda scary purchasing stickers on eBay because of counterfeits. Check out all those PJ poster images > stickers. There's A LOT out there. If they can sell & make those, I'm sure they can scan the latest PJ tour stickers and print / make reprints of them.

Which is why it blows my mind 10club can't just sell them @ the store. They can create a direct link from the http://pearljam.com/goods/ with "Stickers". All official Pearl Jam stickers. They can do it. I know they can. No idea who inside is saying no to this idea & sale. Just stop it already. Pearl Jam fan's all over the world want this. You know it. Paying & non paying 10club members want to purchase tour stickers online @ pearljam.com, like they do for their posters & official bootlegs.
  • Options
    i just stopped caring about this stuff...not worth the time to wait to pay the reasonable price, and not worth the money in the after-market...
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I'm only interested in items for the shows that I attended. I'm pretty sure no more waiting in line for me. I'd rather go have some fun.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    I waited in line at wrigley. Never again. I'll get merch inside the arena when the doors open. Its not worth waiting hours for a few shirts and a poster. I could care less about stickers or buttons.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    I highly doubt they will ever put city specific stickers in the shop. First off their $2 stickers and they are very specific so that only so many people would want them if they were easily had. The biggest problem, IMO, is the collector mentality that revolves around the band. People just want hard to find or limited things no matter what it is or if they have any intentions of using them, it pains to think how many PJ records are out there and will never get played because the person who bought them doesn't even own a turntable. If people knew stickers would be readily available they would be no where near as in demand as they are now. Also, if you want to stop flipping simply don't buy anything on eBay or the lost dogs forum here who h is full of flippers.
  • Options
    demetrios said:

I just don't understand why 10club doesn't just print more of these tour stickers and just sell them online. They would make A TON of money! Plus they would be making fans all over the world very VERY happy.

If there's a huge demand for certain products, why not fill that need? Make the customers happy. The stickers were not signed & numbered. Right? So they can still print more of these. Plus have you seen the bootlegged Pearl Jam stickers out there? It's kinda scary purchasing stickers on eBay because of counterfeits. Check out all those PJ poster images > stickers. There's A LOT out there. If they can sell & make those, I'm sure they can scan the latest PJ tour stickers and print / make reprints of them.

Which is why it blows my mind 10club can't just sell them @ the store. They can create a direct link from the http://pearljam.com/goods/ with "Stickers". All official Pearl Jam stickers. They can do it. I know they can. No idea who inside is saying no to this idea & sale. Just stop it already. Pearl Jam fan's all over the world want this. You know it. Paying & non paying 10club members want to purchase tour stickers online @ pearljam.com, like they do for their posters & official bootlegs.

I think it is probably more labor intensive than the profits would be worth.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    demetrios said:

I wish 10 club would sell the tour stickers at the shop. I think the issue might be shipping costs. People will complain they won't pay x amount to have a tour sticker shipped to them.
  • Options

demetrios said:

I wish 10 club would sell the tour stickers at the shop. I think the issue might be shipping costs. People will complain they won't pay x amount to have a tour sticker shipped to them.
    They could purchase CDs, shirts & other merchandise @ the store and just buy a few stickers in the order. If you're just gonna buy 1 sticker for 2 bucks & it costs 8 dollars to ship to Canada, yeah, that wouldn't make any sense.
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    Anyone know why they stopped preordering posters for people with tickets? Was it cost? I'm sure people wouldn't mind a small surcharge for preordering merch for shows they're attending. Could preorder stickers too.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited November 2014
    They sell REGULAR Pearl Jam stickers in the shop for $1.00...why could they not sell the tour stickers for $2.00 too??
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Horse2345 said:

Anyone know why they stopped preordering posters for people with tickets? Was it cost? I'm sure people wouldn't mind a small surcharge for preordering merch for shows they're attending. Could preorder stickers too.

I don't think they liked the idea of a fan with a secured ticket & poster combo to also have a chance to pick up a 2nd poster @ the merchandise table. But that shouldn't make any sense when the past few show's a customer could pick up 2 - 50 posters at one merchandise table.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    derbydave said:

They sell REGULAR Pearl Jam stickers in the shop for $1.00...why could they not sell the tour stickers for $2.00 too??

Just a general PJ sticker has a much wider market and longer life span then an event sticker. They could print out as many as they wanted and sell them for years.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    derbydave said:

Because it's been the same handful of $1 stickers for how long? I think the logistics of it + the admin costs make it fruitless for them.
    Think about it. They did a 12 date tour in 11 cities. They have the stickers designed & printed. Who knows if they're printed in the same place or where it's located. So for arguments sake let's say they're printed locally or they're printed and shipped to the 10c warehouse in Seattle. They order x amount based on their sales projection, do they order extra and keep it in the w/h until after the show? They'd be willingly holding back stock knowing they sold out of it on every single show previously, which ppl would then complain about too. So maybe they ship the whole order to the venue, and since they had more printed, they have leftover stock. They then have to ship it back to the wh in Seattle, take an inventory, enter the data into their system AND update their website for each design. In this case it's 12 designs, being shipped back and forth of 11 different cities. Shipping costs, labor for data entry, website updates, plus manual labor packing/unpacking is going to add up to a lot more than whatever their profit margin is on a $2 sticker. The ones they sell currently probably got ordered in huge bulk on a good deal, i.e. when they were test driving printers to find a printer for the show specific orders, and only incur that one shot admin fee to enter and update. Same can be said for the pins. The lapel pin is the exception since it's $10, and there's only one. They do this with the posters, yes, but look at the price difference. They'd have to raise the sale price of the stickers for this to be viable, which might not seem like a bad thing to us now, but if they're sold cheaper at the venue it's encouraging the resale market. If they're sold at the higher, cost effective price so they can be sold online, people bitch about the price hike and sales drop. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't on this one.

I gotta say I would LOVE if they included the show specific stickers and pins in the shop, from a business perspective I don't see it making a lot of sense for them to do.
    Post edited by ldent42 on
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    demetrios said:

Horse2345 said:

I don't think they liked the idea of a fan with a secured ticket & poster combo to also have a chance to pick up a 2nd poster @ the merchandise table. But that shouldn't make any sense when the past few show's a customer could pick up 2 - 50 posters at one merchandise table.
    If I recall, the posters that did receive the pre-sale treatment were from 2009, and there was a bit of complaining here about the actual artwork. They're big here on not disparaging "friends of the band" so when the negativity flooded in for Tomorrow's work, the 10 Club probably washed their hands of the practice of selling posters sight unseen.

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    jamburger said:

demetrios said:

Horse2345 said:

If I recall, the posters that did receive the pre-sale treatment were from 2009, and there was a bit of complaining here about the actual artwork. They're big here on not disparaging "friends of the band" so when the negativity flooded in for Tomorrow's work, the 10 Club probably washed their hands of the practice of selling posters sight unseen.

I did that purchase, and I would do it again, even though I will NEVER frame either poster.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    demetrios said:

My opinion is they want demand to exceed the supply, which creates interest. It's not just about stickers and buttons, but show specific shirts, posters, limited items they put up for sale at 10 club...they do the same thing over and over. I would bet most of the sticker and button collectors wouldn't care to collect these items if they were perceived to be unlimited in quantity and weren't 'collector's items'.

I work in printing and know how little it costs to print extra posters (most of the cost is in design, prepress, plates, the press make ready, etc). For example, there might be a set price to print 1000 posters. To print another 1000 posters generally might only run the price up another 20%...not double the price as some might think. They're going out of their way to not meet the demand on these items. That's why so many of us waited in line for 2 hours and the posters, stickers and buttons were already long gone.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    you only have to look on ebay and the prices people are selling them for to see the problem i mean £20/25 plus for sticker and badge its just madness but an easy way to stop it imo would be to sell them in the merch shop on here like they did the flags ........i thought the flags were going to be a special "that gig" thing but hey ho 2 weeks after the gig they are on sale here and you dont see THEM being flipped for loads of ££ on ebay do you .............that my take on it
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Said it before and I'll say it AGAIN, people are funding there tours like this. There's 1 guy on ebay who 100% went on tour and bought a shitload of merch and has them all up for RIDICULOUS amounts of $$$$$. He doesn't give 2 shits about what any of us think. Everybody is built differently.
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    St. Louis merchandise line was brutal. Opened late, rained early, no limit, and the people working the merchandise truck moved like zombies. There were rumors that one guy (nicknamed leisure suit guy) bought about 40 posters. Stickers and pins were gone when I finally got my turn but was able to get a poster. Milwaukee was tons better. The people working the booth were organized and quick. Both cities the people in line were good. Didn't see anyone jump in line which I heard happened in Detroit.
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    Saw "Leisure Suit Guy" again in Moline...
    with his buddy we nicknamed "Slick" because they actually did jump line!!!
    Luckily they were held to a 2 poster limit in Moline!!
    Saw them scalping tickets later that day too.
    Sure hope they took a bath on those HORRIBLE St. Louis Posters,
    I didn't even want to buy the one 1 that I got!!
    LOSERS L-)
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave said:

LOSERS L-)

Damn, Dave. You really don't strike me as someone who would speak ill about many people, so these people must have really bugged the crap out of you. There's a story there . . . :-? I suppose that if we had a thread called "Leisure Suit Guy," it would probably get shut down, eh?
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

derbydave said:

LOSERS L-)

Damn, Dave. You really don't strike me as someone who would speak ill about many people, so these people must have really bugged the crap out of you. There's a story there . . . :-? I suppose that if we had a thread called "Leisure Suit Guy," it would probably get shut down, eh?
    The St. Louis merch line was probably the MOST brutal one I was in this year!
    They opened late & the weather was horrible.
    Eddieshometown is telling the TRUTH...
    this guy bought 40 POSTERS!!!!
    AND he & his buddy jumped the line in Moline too!!!
    I have no LOVE for flippers or line cutters!
    I apologize for my negativity Amy ;)

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited November 2014
    derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

LOSERS L-)

I'm sorry. Missed the 40 poster purchase. I see how I missed it. I just flipped right to your comment off of the forum front page.

Did they buy that poster sight unseen? I mean, 40? Um, do I recall it being Popeye with Leprosy? Yes. Yes, it is. I double checked. Really? /:)

For whatever it is worth, I knew that there had to be something particularly irksome for you to say that.

Flippers and line cutters should go to that special place in hell that Kat has reserved for those who RickRoll. ;)
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

derbydave said:

deadendp said:

derbydave said:

LOSERS L-)

I'm sorry. Missed the 40 poster purchase. I see how I missed it. I just flipped right to your comment off of the forum front page.

Did they buy that poster sight unseen? I mean, 40? Um, do I recall it being Popeye with Leprosy? Yes. Yes, it is. I double checked. Really? /:)

For whatever it is worth, I knew that there had to be something particularly irksome for you to say that.

Flippers and line cutters should go to that special place in hell that Kat has reserved for those who RickRoll. ;)
    :-bd

• Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    None of the merch I've seen is worth what they're asking at the venue, much less 10X face value. The people who are "funding their tour" with desparate fans willing to help are vultures and selfish a-holes...plain and simple.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited November 2014

None of the merch I've seen is worth what they're asking at the venue, much less 10X face value. The people who are "funding their tour" with desparate fans willing to help are vultures and selfish a-holes...plain and simple.

$35 for a t-shirt is crazy. I definitely pass on more shirts now. It has to be insane how much they make on merch. I wonder if it is more than they make on ticket sales.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on