Options

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PEARL JAM FAN CROWDFUND CAMPAIGN LAUNCHES NEW WEBSITE

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2014

hedonist said:

Honestly, I don't think questioning the initial post(s) and sensing a lack of credibility/integrity for not being upfront from the get-go is the same as being an asshole.

Anyone has a right to air their skepticism as much as the proponents do to attempt this shindig.

That's been my main issue, plus the "article".

No offense to Ms. Soul :D

I was referring to our manner of response, not the responses themselves. To question the motive and founding of this whole thing is wise. I was referring to the bickering. By our I include myself, cause I KNOW I can be a downright bitch sometimes.
    :))
    I can only speak for myself and if it makes me an asshole, so be it. Pretending you stumbled upon something, saying it seems legit and trying to get people on board without initially revealing yourself as the organizer IS SHADY. I apologize for the shitty grammar. I hope it doesn't get quoted in some half assed newspaper article.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

hedonist said:

Honestly, I don't think questioning the initial post(s) and sensing a lack of credibility/integrity for not being upfront from the get-go is the same as being an asshole.

Anyone has a right to air their skepticism as much as the proponents do to attempt this shindig.

I was referring to our manner of response, not the responses themselves. To question the motive and founding of this whole thing is wise. I was referring to the bickering. By our I include myself, cause I KNOW I can be a downright bitch sometimes.
    I can only speak for myself and if it makes me an asshole, so be it. Pretending you stumbled upon something, saying it seems legit and trying to get people on board without initially revealing yourself as the organizer IS SHADY. I apologize for the shitty grammar. I hope it doesn't get quoted in some half assed newspaper article.
    Ok ok.. That part WAS shady, yes. But I don't think his original idea was shady, meaning I don't think this was set up to be a scam. I think his initial intention was based on a fervent belief that as fellow fans we'd all be on board... And based on that notion, I don't believe he was or IS trying to rip people off. Like I said the way this was gone about was waaaaay off! And I don't think this guy realizes how much is involved in what he's undertaking. PJ employs hundreds if people to do these things in the course of a tour. And I honestly believe planning that should be left to professionals. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the WL people, I think they're doing great things, and even though they have a much better shot at pulling off a campaign like this, I think it should be left to the professionals, period! Unless either party, WL, or this guy and his crew if any, are willing to bring in real hands on deck, there's just too much risk involved. And believe me when I say the WL have a much harder job to pull off The Gorge than this guy and this tinkly fink venue( historic or not, I fear you've not taken I to account all the side orders for space requested- I.E. The I'll take seven tickets etc- fir space accounted into availability for stock
    Public access). Either way.. Yes the original undertaking of this campaign came across as shady. But look at some of the reactions he's gotten.. Wouldn't you have a little trepidation about putting yourself into that line of fire?? But ultimately you are right. He should have been honest. Good luck to both campaigns.. You're BOTH gonna need it! Trust!! I've seen entire institutions and promotions corps take themselves down in bad name trying to pull stuff like this off! Anyways.. Good luck to all of you involved.. I will still eat my words if they do this Forrest Hills thing!
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

hedonist said:

Ok ok.. That part WAS shady, yes. But I don't think his original idea was shady, meaning I don't think this was set up to be a scam. I think his initial intention was based on a fervent belief that as fellow fans we'd all be on board... And based on that notion, I don't believe he was or IS trying to rip people off. Like I said the way this was gone about was waaaaay off! And I don't think this guy realizes how much is involved in what he's undertaking. PJ employs hundreds if people to do these things in the course of a tour. And I honestly believe planning that should be left to professionals. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the WL people, I think they're doing great things, and even though they have a much better shot at pulling off a campaign like this, I think it should be left to the professionals, period! Unless either party, WL, or this guy and his crew if any, are willing to bring in real hands on deck, there's just too much risk involved. And believe me when I say the WL have a much harder job to pull off The Gorge than this guy and this tinkly fink venue( historic or not, I fear you've not taken I to account all the side orders for space requested- I.E. The I'll take seven tickets etc- fir space accounted into availability for stock
    Public access). Either way.. Yes the original undertaking of this campaign came across as shady. But look at some of the reactions he's gotten.. Wouldn't you have a little trepidation about putting yourself into that line of fire?? But ultimately you are right. He should have been honest. Good luck to both campaigns.. You're BOTH gonna need it! Trust!! I've seen entire institutions and promotions corps take themselves down in bad name trying to pull stuff like this off! Anyways.. Good luck to all of you involved.. I will still eat my words if they do this Forrest Hills thing!
    I agree with a lot of what you said and am in no way saying dude was trying to rip people off. I was just turned off by the initial dishonesty. It's always good practice to be upfront when trying to sell people on an idea or product in general. Hey, if they make it happen, awesome. I just won't get behind it financially myself, that's all.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    There was this and the initial nonsense on facebook that was handled very badly. Anyone raising questions or legit concerns were simply deleted from the group - silenced.

I too think that Dan has only the best intentions in pulling this thing off, but certain elements have been handled so badly its untrue.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I agree with Paul. Early on, questions on FB have disappeared, ignored or met with these phony "canned" responses starting with stale things like "we are doing our best to ensure..." come on... but he seems to have adjusted a bit. That first impression put people on edge against or skeptical about this.
    WTH are the $1000 worth of goodies anyways and who is going to purchase that and with what $?

Im not sure how it would have gone down, or if enough people would agree on anything, but it would have been much better if this guy brought it to maybe the board before launching to make it "crowd" sourced and people would have had a chance to kick ideas around and had a better feel for the start of the project. It seems that a lot of logistical things are set up to fail here with the venue, location (way too far for a one off show), and the price point ($80 i lower than a typical ticket, no?).

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    I don't know, something is just off. To get sort of a break by having a newspaper actually run a story about it only to use half the article space to talk about the controversy surrounding it? I mean it makes absolutely no sense to do that on any level. And then to endorse the article with a tweet?

Certainly not the team I'd choose to organize my next campaign!!
  • Options
    Watch our segment on the CW11 news last night, we are staying strong!

http://video.pix11.com/Fans-raise-money-to-bring-Pearl-Jam-to-Queens-28164852#.VGrLMKq9KnN
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not on Facebook or Twitter so not sure what (if at all) in the realm of questioning anything has been addressed (though by comments posted here, seems they've been *poofed* away).

I actually feel bad for the band at this point. After all the energy spent - and given - touring and traveling and heeding numerous requests over the past how many months? Would never presume to speak for them but if in their shoes, I'd want to be kindly and unselfishly left the fuck alone to spend well-earned down time as I want and with whom I want.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    hedonist said:

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter so not sure what (if at all) in the realm of questioning anything has been addressed (though by comments posted here, seems they've been *poofed* away).

I actually feel bad for the band at this point. After all the energy spent - and given - touring and traveling and heeding numerous requests over the past how many months? Would never presume to speak for them but if in their shoes, I'd want to be kindly and unselfishly left the fuck alone to spend well-earned down time as I want and with whom I want.

bravo.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    hedonist said:

Well said.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    MSnider44MSnider44 San Diego Posts: 746
    This crowdfunded potential concert is merely a selfish act / request, and personally, I sincerely hope the band isn't even thinking a nano-second about this. I also hope they realize most of the 10C is not on board with this. Leave the guys / crew / family alone. Let them tour when and where they want. They've given us, the fans, enough over the years / decades. This is their time to do what they want to do, when they want to do it. This has the potential to put them in a weird spot, and it definitely gives us already-satisfied fans a bad look.
  • Options
    this is awesome
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    This should be embarrassing to all Pearl Jam fans. Makes us look like lunatics whether we care or not about this show.

I wonder how the Foo Fighters crowdfunding show was handled and if there was any pushback in the Foo Fighters fan base. I would expect the Foo Fighters fan base is more easy going and is more about the music, but the PJ fan base is more intense and opinionated when it comes to the band as the band's base was built on music but also political and social awareness issues.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    IBTL ;)

Every time I click on one of these threads I just kind of laugh. I know they did add a show in Newcastle in 2006 and Eddie started reading the names off the petition on the bootleg, and thanked the guys who got it going... but I am sure they just want to pretend this whole thing isn't even happening, probably even the Wishlist one and we all know they actually talk about/endorse Wishlist stuff.

This whole thing just feels too random. Why would you purposely pick a venue that EVERYONE says has an early noise curfew? I guess it would be easy for the band to play and NOT be expected to play a 3 hour show for once these days... :) Anyway good luck to everyone who chips in and can get to NY.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options

This should be embarrassing to all Pearl Jam fans. Makes us look like lunatics whether we care or not about this show.

I wonder how the Foo Fighters crowdfunding show was handled and if there was any pushback in the Foo Fighters fan base. I would expect the Foo Fighters fan base is more easy going and is more about the music, but the PJ fan base is more intense and opinionated when it comes to the band as the band's base was built on music but also political and social awareness issues.

Well, another one popped up in the UK... they raised money and the band didnt acknowledge it. Some people are gracious. Some people are attacking the band for not acknowledging the effort. Then you know, the peanut gallery having opinions on both sides.

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited November 2014
    Here's a prime question for the OP. Have you contacted or attempted to contact the band's booking agents with this idea, so that they even KNOW about it? But most importantly, has the venue agreed to this? Or are you just blindly trying to raise money in the hopes that everything falls into place?
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    $1000 mystery boxes seems a little crazy to anyone who is not closely involved in this event planning. Who is going to shell out $1000 for 4 $80 tickets and ????
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

IBTL ;)

Every time I click on one of these threads I just kind of laugh. I know they did add a show in Newcastle in 2006 and Eddie started reading the names off the petition on the bootleg, and thanked the guys who got it going... but I am sure they just want to pretend this whole thing isn't even happening, probably even the Wishlist one and we all know they actually talk about/endorse Wishlist stuff.

This whole thing just feels too random. Why would you purposely pick a venue that EVERYONE says has an early noise curfew? I guess it would be easy for the band to play and NOT be expected to play a 3 hour show for once these days... :) Anyway good luck to everyone who chips in and can get to NY.

They picked that venue because the organizers live right by it. They can just walk to the show. For everyone else, it seems like a bad venue, but for the two or three organizers it's the greatest venue of all time, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PJ_Soul said:

IBTL ;)

They picked that venue because the organizers live right by it. They can just walk to the show. For everyone else, it seems like a bad venue, but for the two or three organizers it's the greatest venue of all time, lol.
    true. why pick such a small venue in their biggest market in the usa?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JimmyV said:

hedonist said:

Well said.

Agreed! Well said for sure...they give and give, and even if this is from a good hearted place it's still asking for more.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Starting a thread for the band to play xyz is not a problem. When money and people's credit cards get involved there becomes a problem.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    At least because of this debacle neither group will get anything off the ground.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Where's that face palm emoticon when you need it??

:fp:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I don't want to contribute to a concert I can't attend. Maybe that's what the OP fails to see. On that note, if you want to invest in art, music, then check out my band's fundraising campaign over at
    Bwhahahaha!!!! Fucking hell! This is getting more hilarious by the day. What a circus...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,428
    Okay, just for shits & giggles:

so, what happens if there are MORE pledges then there are tickets to fill those pledges? (that are SUPPOSE to get you a seat for the show) I guess you're not assured a seat then?
This discussion has been closed.