Options

Looking for low watt tube amp

2»

Comments

• Options
    BHealy wrote: »
    I got the Princeton 68! It sounds amazing- I ended trying a Marshall 15 watt, a Blues Junior, and the Princeton at Guitar Center. I was totally sold on the Princeton. It just sounded so much warmer than the Blues Junior, and the Marshall actually sounded horrible, honestly. I don't know if something was wrong with it, or there was something interfering with it, but even the cleans had a horrible buzz, on both channels. I think my wife was a little disappointed in the Marshall because it was cheaper. :)

She told me later she didn't want to say anything at the time, but she totally loved the sound of the Princeton. Thanks guys for all your input!

Awesome congrats on your new purchase
  • Options
    That's awesome to hear! Funny about you're wife, too. Happy jamming!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Thanks guys!! I'm really enjoying it so far! Really versatile, and my old amp really didn't have reverb....I didn't know what I was missing. :)
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Glad you found your sound! It's always really hard to recommend gear to fit someone else's tastes and style, but I'm glad we were able to help in any way possible.

I've heard similarly poor reviews of the cheaper Marshall tube gear, so you certainly aren't alone.

I'm sort of a sucker for the Princeton myself. I actually own a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is usually one of the amps on the Holy Grail list. But most of the time, I find myself wishing I had a Princeton Reverb instead. Those classic Fender circuits are classics for a reason!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Glad you found your sound! It's always really hard to recommend gear to fit someone else's tastes and style, but I'm glad we were able to help in any way possible.

I've heard similarly poor reviews of the cheaper Marshall tube gear, so you certainly aren't alone.

I'm sort of a sucker for the Princeton myself. I actually own a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is usually one of the amps on the Holy Grail list. But most of the time, I find myself wishing I had a Princeton Reverb instead. Those classic Fender circuits are classics for a reason!

Thanks! This was great discussion and really helpful! But, you make a good point- you just really need to go plug in and try them out. The demo I saw (granted it was a Marshall promo) on the Marshall 15 watt made it seem really appealing....oh well. I was partial to the Princeton anyway.

I've heard good things about the Deluxe Reverbs!! My neighbor's Dad has an old one that is like new, that's been sitting in his house practically unused for decades. He loves it.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    It took me years and years of spending money on EL84 power tube amps before I realized it was all about the 6V6s for me...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    It took me years and years of spending money on EL84 power tube amps before I realized it was all about the 6V6s for me...

Its hard for me to describe a sound in words, but "warmer" comes to mind (the 6v6s).