Options

Hoping to ditch cable- help please

BronyBrony Posts: 628
edited November 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
I currently have Fios. Almost $300 bills every month for the "Triple Play" bundled along with my Iphone. I would love to only use wifi to watch TV. Is that possible? Im not very tech savvy, I have heard of apple tv....someone told me i can watch recent tv shows on Hulu?.....i stream netflix thru my Wii. Any ways to watch NFL or NBA games? I cant live without RedZone channel. Are there any alternatives? I feel like i am a slave to Verizon. I need to break the chains.

Thanks
Post edited by Brony on

Comments

• Options
    ps- my 2 year "contract" is up next month. no need for 300 channels or a land line phone
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    My friends recently did the same, only kept internet and the very basic cable. Stream everything through Netflix and Hulu plus. They get basic channels and can watch some games that way. They are pretty happy with it, saved a lot of cash.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    cable bills suck, yes.

but my cheap brother-in-law is trying to cut the cord by streaming, etc. and, I must say, it's less than optimal. channel surfing is non-existent and the TV picture often looks like what it is....a big version of a computer stream.

I do know that he has some ideas in the works to make it better...

roku?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Brony said:

I currently have Fios. Almost $300 bills every month for the "Triple Play" bundled along with my Iphone. I would love to only use wifi to watch TV. Is that possible? Im not very tech savvy, I have heard of apple tv....someone told me i can watch recent tv shows on Hulu?.....i stream netflix thru my Wii. Any ways to watch NFL or NBA games? I cant live without RedZone channel. Are there any alternatives? I feel like i am a slave to Verizon. I need to break the chains.

Thanks

If you're willing to pay, I'm pretty sure you can get the NFL and NBA packages and stream those through Apple TV or another streaming device.
  • Options

Brony said:

Thanks

If you're willing to pay, I'm pretty sure you can get the NFL and NBA packages and stream those through Apple TV or another streaming device.
    yes, willing to pay if its the legit service....didnt know if it was even an option, thanks
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    imalive said:

cable bills suck, yes.

but my cheap brother-in-law is trying to cut the cord by streaming, etc. and, I must say, it's less than optimal. channel surfing is non-existent and the TV picture often looks like what it is....a big version of a computer stream.

I do know that he has some ideas in the works to make it better...

roku?

Google chromecast?

I will probably cancel my satellite sometime next year, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and just general downloading will be my viewing options.

Google just announced a new tv (google tv? Nexus?) box.

I think its called Google tv nexus player.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    nearly $300.00 a month for the cable bundle you are signed up w/ along w/ your iphone. the iphone is on the same bill? i think you're saying you have a landline house phone & a iphone?

(so let's just say it's $300.00 instead of almost)
    $300.00 X's 12 months = $3,600
    that is out of order!

i haven't had tv of any sort in like 6-7 years. im not a sports guy so missing games is easy for me. i love & need music so that's what i have on. youtube, cds, vinyl get me through. sometimes i'll rent a dvd or maybe find a movie in its entirety online. i've used netflix before but cancelled.

i'm in iowa & in iowa one can rent a house or apartment for $300.00 a month. actually many peoples' house payments are right around $300.00
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I would love to get rid of my cable bill, but I could just never do it because of sports.
  • Options
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Well, we finally said...FUCK CABLE!!!!

I have hulu and netflix and apple TV.
    This should be interesting.

I have no idea what is in store for me.

So basically I no longer have any sports stations?
    OH OH!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Took me a couple of days to figure out.
    That said....
    FUCK CABLE TV!!!!!

Hulu/Netflix/ and my standard stations will work just fine.

I just saved $130 a month
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Amazon Prime, which includes streaming of some TV shows and movies, has a deal where its $72 instead of $99 today.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited January 2015
    Absolutely. Just pay for WiFi and then $8 a month for Netflix (and a way to stream it to your TV - I personally use Chromecast and my android phone; works great, and much cheaper and easier than Apple TV). You're all set. I've been thinking about doing the same thing.
    There are also websites that stream live games, if you're worried about missing sports like Speedy. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    Absolutely. Just pay for WiFi and then $8 a month for Netflix (and a way to stream it to your TV - I personally use Chromecast and my android phone; work great, and much cheaper and easier than Apple TV). You're all set. I've been thinking about doing the same thing.
    There are also websites that stream live games, if you're worried about missing sports like Speedy. :)
    Honestly...Once I thought about it
    Im really not missing a damned thing as far as sports goes. Hahahaha

Ive maybe watched 4 Cubs games in the last 5 years
    I haven't watched a Bulls game, in its entirety, in a decade.
    I still get my Bears games on Sundays.
    I can still watch the Super Bowl and World Series.

Fuck it...Im good

I work nights, I don't watch TV at all during the week, other than coming home and watching my News stations.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Also find a trusting friend that has HBO and Showtime that will let you use their provider login to stream their apps. I have two friends using mine. Plenty of good shows and movies to watch on there. No commercials and they carry pretty much every episode of any show they have aired.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited January 2015
    I have the Roku on my TV and it works great for Amazon, Hulu, Netfix, Youtube and many other channels. We cut our sattelite service off as I too was tired of the $100 bills just to watch a few things on it. The only downside is sports. I have to watch those on my laptop as I cant get them on anything on the Roku.

Although I think MLB just came out with their subscription app for all the games. The NBA might have it also if you are ok with paying a lot to get them.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Its a damn shame it took me so long to realize Cable TV will basically be obsolete in the next 5 years. Hulu/Netflix/online streaming is OBVIOUSLY the way to go. In a matter of 2 hours yesterday, once I had everything set up and situated, I realized that Cable TV will soon go the way of a VCR or typewriter. Goodbye $150 cable bills.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    There are so many apps that show movies and tv shows, even live tv. Showbox and xbmc to name a couple. I use them all of the time.
  • Options
    There are so many apps that show movies and tv shows, even live tv. Showbox and xbmc to name a couple. I use them all of the time.
    I cant tell you how happy I am to be rid of that fucking cable box. The cable companies have been nothing but PIECES of SHIT, to their customers, for the last 20 years. EVERY single one of us, HATES THE CABLE COMPANY, for various reasons. I could go on and on, but why bother? Everyone here, has dealt with the Cable Company, and knows EXACTLY what I am talking about.
  • Options
    And again, as far as sports?
    I still have CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and WGN. So I get all my golf in the summer, I get all my Bears/ football games on FOX, I get plenty of Cubs games(The Cubs who I haven't truly watched in 5 years, because they suck monkey balls). What else? I will still get plenty of March Madness. I will still watch The Masters. Plenty of College Basketball if I want to watch.

So basically Cable wants me to pay an extra $100 a month for Sports Center? Or the NBA on TNT?
    FUCK THAT!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Watched The Interview last night on the Roku for $2.99. Didn't even actually have to pay as Vudu gave me a $5 credit for signing up. Screw cable and sattelite.

For March Madness you can watch all the games online for free on cbs.com. As long as you have a good internet connection it works better than TV in that you can see all the scores and time left and just click on the game that either is close or ending soon.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Got rid of of sat 2.5 years ago ... never ever would I go back, ever.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Yea but I mean if you have internet you haven't really gotten rid of the cable company have you? If it were only me I'd get rid of cable and just use some else's password for ny1.
    I have that showbox app on my phone. I'm afraid to use it. I don't understand how it's safe.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited January 2015
    The thing about this is that something has to change dramatically soon. Cable isn't just going to become obsolete while we enjoy all of these alternative options for practically nothing. Once the major networks can't get the commercial dollars anymore because of Netflix and all the rest, they are going to figure out a way to get money out of us directly. So enjoy it while you can folks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    we cut cable about a yr ago & just kept the internet. we're now etfl x $200/month.

bought a Roku--subscribe to Netflix & Hulu. Plus, a buddy hooked us up with his HBOGO & WatchESPN feed. So, we're good!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The thing about this is that something has to change dramatically soon. Cable isn't just going to become obsolete while we enjoy all of these alternative options for practically nothing. Once the major networks can't get the commercial dollars anymore because of Netflix and all the rest, they are going to figure out a way to get money out of us directly. So enjoy it while you can folks.

Yup...

I think we will start to see a lot of major stations/sports leagues etc start to go with a streaming app option.... but then you will see stations band together in different apps so you will have to subscribe to things you dont want to capture things you do want.... then paying for internet that the cable companies (Comcast) control.... we will end up back here, probably paying more.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

I know here in Canada Shaw and Bell (both own satellite companies and operate ctv and global) have both tossed out the possibility that over the air the stations might not be sustainable ... i'm not sure about that. The internet has changed everything ... the sat/cable/tv stations/movie studios remind me how the music industry got caught off guard by the internet ...

I'll never go back to sat or cable ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    I would love to do it. But there's still too many live sporting events on cable TV for me to get rid of it. I know there are websites where you can stream games illegally, but that's unreliable and the quality is usually garbage.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    mfc2006 wrote: »
    we cut cable about a yr ago & just kept the internet. we're now etfl x $200/month.

bought a Roku--subscribe to Netflix & Hulu. Plus, a buddy hooked us up with his HBOGO & WatchESPN feed. So, we're good!

Right here. This is where we're headed.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I am hoping it is building towards cafeteria style tv, where I can just pay a small fee for the channels/services I want and not have to subscribe to all the added bullshit that comes with cable/satelitte. I think these channels more and more are going to start looking at it as an opportunity to connect directly with consumers.