Options

Wilco

Comments

• Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    edited September 2016
    kasedoug said:

Anyone not near a record store interested in getting the indie exclusive pink vinyl of Schmilco? Going to the listening party at my local store and can pick up a copy for you at my cost + shipping to you. PM me if interested.

If anybody's looking for the pink indie exclusive version of Schmilco, I have one available for $24 + shipping. Please let me know. Thanks!
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250

My Schmilco chewing gum got me! I was like "WTF?!?!?" hahahahaha
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,839
    mca47 said:

??? schmilco chewing gum?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    mca47 said:

Haha now you can pull it on someone else.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Having a hard time understanding if people like the new album. What are the thoughts here?
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Having a hard time understanding if people like the new album. What are the thoughts here?

Haven't heard all of it yet but so far i dont Iike it that much..i didn't like star wars either.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options

I'm planning on giving it a few spins over the weekend. I did hear a couple songs live in Chicago a few weeks back and I liked them but we all know live sounds different than the album version, especially when it comes to Wilco. After their last few albums I've learned not to get my hopes up and I'm ok with that. I'll always have Being There and Summerteeth and the Mermaid Avenue albums to soothe my disappointment.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    scurtis said:

mca47 said:

Haha now you can pull it on someone else.
    And I did! It was awesome! hahahahahaha
  • Options

I honestly haven't heard it yet. Heard the singles they released and those were good.
    I have the vinyl but no turntable yet. Ha
    Got the digital download code, but haven't downloaded it yet...

• Options
    Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    kasedoug said:

kasedoug said:

Anyone not near a record store interested in getting the indie exclusive pink vinyl of Schmilco? Going to the listening party at my local store and can pick up a copy for you at my cost + shipping to you. PM me if interested.

If anybody's looking for the pink indie exclusive version of Schmilco, I have one available for $24 + shipping. Please let me know. Thanks!
    Is the indie version the opaque one?
  • Options
    The pre-sale version is the clear, orange one.
  • Options
    acpaxton01acpaxton01 Oklahoma Posts: 172
    I really enjoy Schmilco. I've listened to it several times through and it might be my favorite since Sky Blue Sky. It's nowhere near the level of Being There - Summerteeth - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - A Ghost is Born, but they aren't that band anymore, so I try to enjoy them for what they are now and not get too hung up on what they used to be.
    October 17, 2000 Dallas, TX
    April 3, 2003 Oklahoma City, OK
    September 22, 2012 Atlanta, GA
    November 15, 2013 Dallas, TX
    November 16, 2013 Oklahoma City, OK
    October 8, 2014 Tulsa, OK
    May 1, 2016 New York, NY
    May 2, 2016 New York, NY
    August 13, 2018 Missoula, MT
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    Air23 said:

kasedoug said:

kasedoug said:

Is the indie version the opaque one?
    Yes, opaque pink according to Discogs.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076

I was prepared to hate it, based on some early commentary. So I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't that bad. Folks on the Wilco message board seem to be raving about it, but I honestly wouldn't put it high on my list of favorite Wilco albums. Definitely on the lower end of the spectrum. But I have, and will be, playing it a lot as it's new and I rarely listen to the older albums anymore anyway. Usually I fall back on live recordings as my choice of listening material.

I am still digging Star Wars a year later. I think I was lukewarm to it at first, but I've yet to "put it away" like I have with older albums. Be interesting to see how I feel about Schmilco this time next year, or even next month. Also, Schmilco is much more enjoyable as a "headphones" album than a "riding in the car with the windows down" album, which is how I listen to most music.

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,490
    Gotta say. Besides Common Sense I kinda loved this the first spin through.

Wound up on a long drive today with some nice weather and totally loved the vibe
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,645
    loving this disc
  • Options
    PJM3333PJM3333 Chicago Posts: 291
    Yep, another classic by one of my favorite bands!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
    2016-Lexington, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018-Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Really like it after a couple of listens
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    I am listening to Schmilco on Spotify right now......seems like a very low-key record, yet it has some catchy tunes with nice melodies.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Star Wars is really good, my 2nd fave of theirs behind A Ghost Is Born. Will pick up Schmilco next week on vinyl along with the new Nick Cave..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    This album is epic.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Definitely a grower, but it may break their streak of albums that I really enjoy.
  • Options
    listened to it yesterday, it was good. I think i need to listen to it a few more times though to get a better opinion
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,478
    New Wilco records always take time to sink in-at least a month. Just put it on repeat and let it play.
    I am liking a few of the songs off the bat. Someone to Lose, If I Ever Was a Child and We Aren't the World (Safety Girl) are really good.
    There area lot of experimental sounds on this record.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    Seeing Wilco 3x in the next 3 days in L.A.!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    I haven't even been able to get passed the first 3 songs. I have tried probably 6 times now, and each time I am forced to leave it. Stupid work. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Kay, managed to listen to it a few times now.... To be honest, it's boring the shit out of me. To be fair, I hold every other Wilco album up to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and they have never even come close to making another album that good IMO. So really I'm not so much a Wilco fan. I'm just a YHF fan, lol (Actually Star Wars is also pretty good). But even by "not-YHF" standards I think Schmilco is boring. Although it's got one thing going for it: there isn't a hint of country. That I like. So I don't hate it or anything.... it's just bland for me. I doubt I will ever choose to listen to it again.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Kay, managed to listen to it a few times now.... To be honest, it's boring the shit out of me. To be fair, I hold every other Wilco album up to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and they have never even come close to making another album that good IMO. So really I'm not so much a Wilco fan. I'm just a YHF fan, lol (Actually Star Wars is also pretty good). But even by "not-YHF" standards I think Schmilco is boring. Although it's got one thing going for it: there isn't a hint of country. That I like. So I don't hate it or anything.... it's just bland for me. I doubt I will ever choose to listen to it again.

yeah i hear ya. don't hate but don't love it either. i liked Star Wars a lot though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

yeah i hear ya. don't hate but don't love it either. i liked Star Wars a lot though.
    Yes, Star Wars is good. I'm actually listening to it right now in an attempt to wash the Schmilco off my brain. :lol:
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

I've listened to it just the once so far on vinyl, I liked it, not as good as Star Wars (that's a great little record that) but, sounded pretty good. Quite mellow, perfect Sunday morning record I'd say.. :)

Didn't you like A Ghost Is Born PJ_Soul?? That's their best imo, so many great tunes on that one!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.