Breakerfall
Insignificance
Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
Crazy Mary
U
Do The Evolution

ENCORE 2
Yellow Ledbetter

This was my first Pearl Jam show and it changed my life. I’d been a huge fan since Vs. but hadn’t managed to see the band live yet. Early spring of 2000, or maybe it was winter, not sure: I’m sitting in my apartment in Montana looking at this mailing I'd gotten from the Ten Club. Pearl Jam’s doing a US tour in the fall! Cool! I'm graduating from college in the spring and have applied to a few grad schools but have no idea where I’ll end up going, but I see that San Bernardino is on a Saturday night and I figure wherever I’ll be will be close enough to get there. So I check the box for tickets to San Bernardino and send it back in the mail.

Ended up going to grad school in southern California. I was miserable, stressed out, hated my life, hated myself, etc. etc. etc. October 28 comes around. In those days, even though everyone had assigned seats, you had to line up early for the best seat in your block. Got to the venue early and waited in the Ten Club line for a while, surrounded by people who had taken a couple weeks off work to see a bunch of shows. It seems stupid now to say it, but that was a revelation to me – these people weren’t miserable with their lives like I was. I decided then and there that for the next tour I’d be doing that as well. And I did. Totally changed my life.

The show: looking at the setlist now I’m pretty impressed, but at the time I had no idea what was going on because it was my first show. Rearviewmirror as the opener? And then Go, Animal, SOLAT, GTF? I’d crap my pants if that happened now. I remember Ed saying, “Hello, San Pedro!” I remember Ed talking about the jobs they’d each had before launching into Leatherman, Better Man, and Nothingman – that was rad. I remember the guy jumping on stage during Elderly Woman and Ed protecting him from security. I don’t remember Ed crowdsurfing during Porch but I wish I did.

I’ve seen them 28 times since this show but this is the one that started it all for me, 14 years ago. Thanks, Pearl Jam!

Comments

• Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 457
    Yep, great show. I was there too. I like how it opened like a 93/94 show. Good times.
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209
    Agreed, great show. This was my second show, Vegas (for the tenth anniversary) was my first! I was on the lawn with a huge group of friends and we had the best time. Of the 24 shows I've been to, I'd put this in the top five.
    grace and peace
  • Options
    KC48939KC48939 Missoula, MT Posts: 45
    When I get home tonight I'll try to find my ticket to see where we were sitting - we were in the seats at the front, probably 20 or so rows back but I remember it felt like miles away.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't listened to this boot in forever, did Ed reference someone starting a fire?
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    Damn, that's a good setlist. Anyway I can listen to the boot?
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
  • Options
    Ed did reference someone starting a fire as there was one started in the lawn section. It got cold but I remember thinking that this show was really fun and high energy. I remember that dude crashing upon the stage and accosting Ed, was actually kind of scary for a moment. This was a total meat-head rowdy show though. Super fun and memorable though. Every time I drive to LA from Vegas and pass by this former Blockbuster pavilion venue, I think about this awesome show.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,427
    edited October 2014
    I remember this show...it was very cold that night......Supergrass was the opening act.

Oddly enough, the woman I would meet 6 years later,and eventually marry, was sitting in the same row as me that night!

Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't listened to this boot in forever, did Ed reference someone starting a fire?

Ed did reference someone starting a fire as there was one started in the lawn section. It got cold but I remember thinking that this show was really fun and high energy. I remember that dude crashing upon the stage and accosting Ed, was actually kind of scary for a moment. This was a total meat-head rowdy show though. Super fun and memorable though. Every time I drive to LA from Vegas and pass by this former Blockbuster pavilion venue, I think about this awesome show.

I was on the lawn and there were several fires. It was a little insane.
    And didn't Ed dance with the kid that made it on stage before telling him to have a nice night in jail? :-)
    grace and peace
  • Options
    samsonite said:

And didn't Ed dance with the kid that made it on stage before telling him to have a nice night in jail? :-)

Yeah, I think so. I wish there were video of this! I pretty vividly remember Ed's face when security came out to get the guy - protecting the guy, like, "Don't you dare take him away!" Pretty cool, especially since I think Ed was pretty startled when the guy first jumped up there.
  • Options
    Gosh, such a great fucking show! It was my first show as well. I was back in the lawn with Samsonite. I remember it started to rain either right before or right as they came on stage. It was definitely a magical night that began both mine and Samsonites Pearl Jam journey (even though that asshat got to be at the 10th anniversary Vegas show before that). I totally forgot about the kid that jumped on stage. Ed did dance with him and then told him to have a nice night in jail. Also fire pits are very common at that venue. They're partly for warmth but mostly for fun.. I don't think it was the fires he was concerned with.. If I remember correctly he could see a pit was starting at one. In fact I was at this venue this last weekend and there were about 15 fires going at one time.
  • Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    I was there! Was it this show that when that guy finally left the stage, Ed said "Have a nice night in jail, young man"? Also I can't remember if it was this one or the tour when they went to Irvine that the band took a long break before the first encore because they had a fight about Ed stage diving.
  • Options
    dogtown said:

I was there! Was it this show that when that guy finally left the stage, Ed said "Have a nice night in jail, young man"? Also I can't remember if it was this one or the tour when they went to Irvine that the band took a long break before the first encore because they had a fight about Ed stage diving.

You're right on both counts! From the Five Horizons concert chronology:
    During 'Porch' Ed looks like he is trying to figure out how to get up to the lighting rig -- but instead, he CROWDSURFS. Jeff looks kind of irked at this behavior. Before the first encore Ed apologized for leaving the crowd out in the cold but there was a small fight backstage. "Don't worry, no one is quitting the band yet," he said sarcastically. ... During 'Elderly Woman' a guy jumps onstage. Once Ed realizes that he is no threat he pushes security away and let him stay onstage throughout the song. The guy is a real ham, standing between Jeff and Ed and pantomiming the lyrics. After the song, as the the guy is led away by security, Ed says: "Have a nice evening in jail young man ... by the way, if you have the urge to do that, I highly recommend you don't ..." Then he comments, "Ya know ... when he was leaving, I gave him a guitar pick and he turned and said to me, 'Can I ask you a favor?'" (which gets tremendous applause because it was only due to Ed's intervention in the first place that he wasn't kicked off the stage immediately.)
    It's been great to hear from other people who were at that show!
  • Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    Great memories, I wish I'd been better about writing down these things after the shows throughout the years.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,457
    This show will always stand out of the 25 left coast shows I've been to as there were so many cool moments as mentioned. The venue was amazing, the set list killer. Now getting out of the parking lot and driving back to Vegas? That was not so fun.
  • Options
    Was there... super tight show. Radical energy. One of the 10-15 boots from 2000 that I own. I would own and play a lot even if I did not attend. Went to the Greek show in LA proper, too, and Berdo blew it outta the water.
  • Options
    Will be listening to this bootleg Friday night! Since this show I've been lucky enough to see the band 29 more times, in Australia and all over the U.S. And it was only 16 years ago//can't believe it's been 16 years!
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    Yes I was there also... I did most of the west coast on this tour including Vegas! We were walking in late for this one and about shit my pants when I heard RVM right as my ticket was being scanned. Is this the only time they've opened with it?? anyway, great show as they worked there way up the coast for the legendary tour closers in Seattle.
  • Options
    finkingfinking Posts: 5
    Anyone know if there was a show poster? Want to frame it with my ticket stub.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    edited April 2017
    Yeah. May be hard to find one, but looks like the price is reasonable.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1751

Try checking the lost dogs forum to see if anyone has a copy they want to sell.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...