how much should a person know about a band before wearing their shirt?

Comments

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    I find people who quote themselves in their sig to be posers too. But I'm thinking "to each their own". Here in the real world, I really don't care what clothing other people are wearing.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

I find people who quote themselves in their sig to be posers too. But I'm thinking "to each their own". Here in the real world, I really don't care what clothing other people are wearing.

Here in the real world, I agree 100% with leeze, wear whatever the fuck u want.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Last week I saw a young girl, maybe 13 years old, walking down the street with her family wearing a Ramones shirt. I thought "Fuck yeah!". She could have been wearing some Katy Perry shit or Taylor "Jab a screwdriver in my ear" Swift crap. Pretty sure she couldn't name one Ramones song, but once again I thought "Fuck yeah!". \m/

I am like fuck no! because I bet she knows all the Katy Perry and Taylor Swift songs, that is called being a poser, the world already has too many posers. And if you are wearing a family members shirt of a band you don't know, I think that earns you an exception, I think it's cool if that guys daughter wants to wear his shirts, I am talking about people who buy shit at the mall because they want to seem trendy, I would say just be yourself, why is everyone trying to impress everyone? makes no fucking sense, never let others define you, that shit should come from within you, own it, and work with it, and do the best you fucking can. I mean if any of you want to be posers, more power to you, just ain't my thing
    But what if my thing is wearing shirts for bands I don't have a clue about? Should I let you define me and not wear those shirts? Or should I just do what makes me happy and wear what I want to wear and not care what a guy on a message board thinks about my shirt?
    you definitely should not give a damn what I think, just as I don't give a damn what you think when I am making my apparel choices, just thought we were discussing t-shirts just like the threads who said you shouldn't wear Pearl Jam shirts to a Pearl Jam show, which I thought was lame, and obviously many think my view is lame, that is fine, I don't make my opinions so the majority will like it, that is a weak ass way to live your life, if you like wearing shirts of bands that you have no idea who they are then go for it, I would never tell anyone what they can or cannot do, my suggestion would be that it is false advertisement but whatever, but I will always support freedom of choice as long as your choices aren't hurting anyone else, and what clothes you wear obviously don't, so rock on whatever you decide to wear
    Ok... So one minute you're calling people posers and the next minute you support freedom of choice?

Not sure what your point is with this thread or if you have one.
    it really depends on why you are wearing it, do you think any of the members of Pearl Jam would wear a shirt of a band they hadn't listened to? I seriously doubt they would, but if you think it makes you look cool to wear a shirt of a band you never listen to, then go for it, a lot of cool people make unfortunate fashion choices, doesn't make them bad people, and really people who are trying to be cool by misrepresenting themselves, I just feel sorry for them because you should never have to do that to try to get people to like you, it starts when you are younger and hopefully they get enough encouragement when they are younger so they can learn to just be themselves, be who you are and be proud of it, and I always have a fucking point, thank you
    You lost me awhile ago, Hank. I'm not sure what kind of shirts members of Pearl Jam wear in their spare time. I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about stuff like that. But it does seem strange that you put this much thought into other people's wardrobes.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    With the last three posts.

This really should've been a poll :D
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    In answer to the original question, I think it depends on the shirt:
    If it was a generic pearl jam shirt, you must be able to name all band members birthdays and name the setlist of their first show.
    If it was an album shirt, you must be able to recite all lyrics on demand, and backwards.
    If it was a tour shirt, you must have gone to at least 5 shows, have the pj stat tracker app and caught a guitar pick.
    If you can't do that, you have no right wearing a bands shirt!!!
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    Seriously though, wear what you want and no one should judge you by that. I have shirts (non band) that just look good and I have no idea if they mean anything.
  • And what is it with young people wearing their pants so low these days?
  • And what is it with young people wearing their pants so low these days?

Hey big guy. Start a thread with this question. This thread is a trap. :)

And what is it with young people wearing their pants so low these days?

Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!

(couldn't resist :D)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This thread.....holy fuck.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2014
    hedonist said:

pants on the ground, pants on the ground - looking like a foo with your pants on the ground =))

This is my edit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

I'm now stupider for having read this....

lol

hedonist said:

pants on the ground, pants on the ground - looking like a foo with your pants on the ground =))

This is my edit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc
    Yep! And cheers!

All these pages are something else, and over what? Some cotton and a few moments in time.

Goodness, gracious, great balls of (misplaced) ire!
  • Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    I guess I'm at a point in my life where I just don't give a shit.
  • I guess I'm at a point in my life where I just don't give a shit.

That is the place to be in.
    Don't give a shit and don't be an asshole are really the only rules you need.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Last week I saw a young girl, maybe 13 years old, walking down the street with her family wearing a Ramones shirt. I thought "Fuck yeah!". She could have been wearing some Katy Perry shit or Taylor "Jab a screwdriver in my ear" Swift crap. Pretty sure she couldn't name one Ramones song, but once again I thought "Fuck yeah!". \m/

I am like fuck no! because I bet she knows all the Katy Perry and Taylor Swift songs, that is called being a poser, the world already has too many posers. And if you are wearing a family members shirt of a band you don't know, I think that earns you an exception, I think it's cool if that guys daughter wants to wear his shirts, I am talking about people who buy shit at the mall because they want to seem trendy, I would say just be yourself, why is everyone trying to impress everyone? makes no fucking sense, never let others define you, that shit should come from within you, own it, and work with it, and do the best you fucking can. I mean if any of you want to be posers, more power to you, just ain't my thing
    But what if my thing is wearing shirts for bands I don't have a clue about? Should I let you define me and not wear those shirts? Or should I just do what makes me happy and wear what I want to wear and not care what a guy on a message board thinks about my shirt?
    you definitely should not give a damn what I think, just as I don't give a damn what you think when I am making my apparel choices, just thought we were discussing t-shirts just like the threads who said you shouldn't wear Pearl Jam shirts to a Pearl Jam show, which I thought was lame, and obviously many think my view is lame, that is fine, I don't make my opinions so the majority will like it, that is a weak ass way to live your life, if you like wearing shirts of bands that you have no idea who they are then go for it, I would never tell anyone what they can or cannot do, my suggestion would be that it is false advertisement but whatever, but I will always support freedom of choice as long as your choices aren't hurting anyone else, and what clothes you wear obviously don't, so rock on whatever you decide to wear
    Ok... So one minute you're calling people posers and the next minute you support freedom of choice?

it really depends on why you are wearing it, do you think any of the members of Pearl Jam would wear a shirt of a band they hadn't listened to? I seriously doubt they would, but if you think it makes you look cool to wear a shirt of a band you never listen to, then go for it, a lot of cool people make unfortunate fashion choices, doesn't make them bad people, and really people who are trying to be cool by misrepresenting themselves, I just feel sorry for them because you should never have to do that to try to get people to like you, it starts when you are younger and hopefully they get enough encouragement when they are younger so they can learn to just be themselves, be who you are and be proud of it, and I always have a fucking point, thank you
    You lost me awhile ago, Hank. I'm not sure what kind of shirts members of Pearl Jam wear in their spare time. I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about stuff like that. But it does seem strange that you put this much thought into other people's wardrobes.
    and I think it's strange that you would care so much as to actually care, this is suppose an opinion post, everybody have their opinion and discuss it, I never knew that people having opinions about t-shirts was rocket science, either you agree or disagree, and if you disagree, trust me, my feelings won't be hurt, and actually more people agreed with me than I thought ever would, so hey that's cool, and the people that take the other side on every issue, I am accustomed to it, so it really doesn't even phase me anymore. Difference is when I think a thread is ridiculous I will just ignore it, but I do appreciate everyone taking the time to read it and comment, and Pearl Jam rules so at least we have that in common, and if we hung out before or after a show, trust me would get along great, I have never met anyone from this board or from Facebook that I didn't get along great with, and that is plenty of validation for me, caring what people who have never met me, doesn't matter to me
    validationrunoni'mlostcaringdoesn'tmatter.

For the love of all that's right and logical...please re-read these four pages.

If you're not willing to acknowledge contradicting yourself, so be it.

Pointing it out isn't the same as being a dick; moreso about suggesting maybe there's another view you can take.

This doesn't even have anything to do with tshirts anymore.
    hedonist said:

Pointing it out isn't the same as being a dick; moreso about suggesting maybe there's another view you can take.

yeah no contradiction, what is surprising the lengths some will go to try to change someone else's mind about something so meaningless and insignificant that was only intended for entertainment purposes and since you missed that, then you miss the whole thing, life is not suppose to make sense, when you try to introduce logic, you limit yourself, but have fun with that, because there is no scientific equation for the human spirit and trying to get me to think just like you, is futile, we disagree, who gives a fuck, they are just fucking t-shirts? and who cares which direction a thread goes? so you are the thread police now? telling people their threads have to stay on topic, talk about not making any sense
    and since I don't care which way this thread goes, unlike some people, here is a bonus, fresh off the presses HUNGER STRIKE Live Temple of the Dog Pearl Jam Chris Cornell Bridge School Benefit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro5FT9NxNCg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Hank, I read your initial and latest post, and they seem to contradict.

Lame or not lame?

Respect or no respect?

Hope you can see the disconnect.

(it's a fucking t-shirt!)

no they don't contradict, just because I think it looks lame, doesn't mean I don't respect your right to wear it, the first one is a opinion, the second is a belief, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and it is my opinion, but I do thank you for your concern
    It was a comment, not a concern (not even sure where you picked up that my brow was furrowed over this).

Guess we see what we want or need to see.

:-B
    as Stone would say "it's all good in the hood"
    God I hate that photo, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

and I think it's strange that you would care so much as to actually care, this is suppose an opinion post, everybody have their opinion and discuss it, I never knew that people having opinions about t-shirts was rocket science, either you agree or disagree, and if you disagree, trust me, my feelings won't be hurt, and actually more people agreed with me than I thought ever would, so hey that's cool, and the people that take the other side on every issue, I am accustomed to it, so it really doesn't even phase me anymore. Difference is when I think a thread is ridiculous I will just ignore it, but I do appreciate everyone taking the time to read it and comment, and Pearl Jam rules so at least we have that in common, and if we hung out before or after a show, trust me would get along great, I have never met anyone from this board or from Facebook that I didn't get along great with, and that is plenty of validation for me, caring what people who have never met me, doesn't matter to me
    Stay gold, Ponyboy.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
    always

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
    always
    Do you guys think it's ok for Emilio's character to wear a Mickey Mouse shirt even though he prob NEVER went to Disneyland? I'm just saying since we're talking about the real world here.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    badbrains said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
    always
    Do you guys think it's ok for Emilio's character to wear a Mickey Mouse shirt even though he prob NEVER went to Disneyland? I'm just saying since we're talking about the real world here.
    THE HORROR...THE HORROR!!!! =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

derbydave said:

badbrains said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
    always
    THE HORROR...THE HORROR!!!! =))
    He's a fucken poser, look at him. Get your ass kicked by a guy in a Mickey Mouse shirt, get the fuck out of here. =))

Mite not be a bad costume for Halloween. Put a shitload of gel in my hair, wear a Mickey Mouse shirt with jeans and a pack of cigs rolled up my sleeve. People ask, I tell them "I'm Emilio's character in outsiders, stay gold poney boy." Or is it "golden"? I don't fucken know. =))
    part of the video was missing so had to piece it together from 3 separate clips, hope you like it, they gave Eddie a customized Minnesota Wild jersey, you can tell he loved it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTYxVc-ioQ

hedonist said:

yeah no contradiction, what is surprising the lengths some will go to try to change someone else's mind about something so meaningless and insignificant that was only intended for entertainment purposes and since you missed that, then you miss the whole thing, life is not suppose to make sense, when you try to introduce logic, you limit yourself, but have fun with that, because there is no scientific equation for the human spirit and trying to get me to think just like you, is futile, we disagree, who gives a fuck, they are just fucking t-shirts? and who cares which direction a thread goes? so you are the thread police now? telling people their threads have to stay on topic, talk about not making any sense
    I think you mis-read; to suggest I was/am trying to control this thread? Nope. I was saying that the mindset exceeds that of the original post.

To suggest I want you to think like I do? Again, nope.

Thanks for your insight into me, though - as well as the old "just a joke" routine.

Contributing toward a topic is just that. If thoughts and input conflict, so be it. We're all free to toss our coins into the mix. No malice here, just candor.
    badbrains said:

Monday morning :D
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

I think you mis-read; to suggest I was/am trying to control this thread? Nope. I was saying that the mindset exceeds that of the original post.

To suggest I want you to think like I do? Again, nope.

Thanks for your insight into me, though - as well as the old "just a joke" routine.

Contributing toward a topic is just that. If thoughts and input conflict, so be it. We're all free to toss our coins into the mix. No malice here, just candor.
    you are always starting conflict in my threads, so you call it whatever you want, I am immune to your criticisms at this point, because since you never have anything positive to offer
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1paja7_pearl-jam-marker-in-the-sand-columbus-2010_music
This discussion has been closed.