Options

how much should a person know about a band before wearing their shirt?

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
you see all the Ramones and Nirvana shirts and even Led Zeppelin or The Who by people who can name more than 2 albums or 10 songs, some call it being a hipster or a poser, I just call it being lame. Because when you a shirt of a band you assume that person would have a little bit of knowledge about that band, certainly I would never expect anyone to be a geek like I am with Pearl Jam otherwise it is just a fashion accessory

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited October 2014
    image removed by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    Nothing to everything.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    PJ_Soul said:

Nothing to everything.

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Image removed by Admin

=)) exactly what I had in mind
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    you do realize that nirvana is a state of being in i think buddist beliefs ??
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    and not everybody idolize stars
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

lol I had to go to the ER but everything is going to be cool so I appreciate the laughs while I am here
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    I'm working in a restaurant and theres a lot of young girls coming wear those shirts with Ramones or Stones logo, and my common joke is this..''if you can name 10 songs, the dinner its free''..i have never loose..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    51%
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Nothing. If someone likes the design of a t-shirt then buy it. Doesn't matter whether it's a band shirt, sports shirt or any branded shirt.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    There are few people more obnoxious than those who deem themselves the Shirt Police and demand anyone wearing a band (or sports team, or movie themed) shirt answer their self-important pop quiz. While I don't personally wear band shirts for bands I don't know and love, I have no respect for obnoxious twits who think it's their job to police everyone else's clothing choices.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    At this point in my career, other peoples "lameness" needs a bigger target than their choices in fashion.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    About 6 months ago, the one girl at work was wearing a Misfits shirt. Loving GD Misfits, I commented on it. She shook her head and kind of gave me an odd look. I was talking to my other coworker who loves The Misfits. (She just saw them at the Agora this past weekend.) Turns out that she had talked to her about it earlier that day. "Mary had no idea who The Misfits are! She just bought it because she liked the shirt!" I told her that we needed to educate her.

I only purchase and wear shirts of bands that I've seen. I did have a Led Zeppelin shirt that I wore to death, but 1. I can name their albums. 2. I own their albums. 3. At least I saw Robert Plant and Jimmy Page a few times. Sadly, I did not see them as a band. I did have a Nirvana shirt that I wore to death. Saw them at a Halloween show the University of Akron in 1993.

Because of mass marketing stores (not advertising their names here) I think that more band shirts have become available to a purchasing audience than normally wouldn't have been. I suppose that it is up to us to help educate those who don't know. Mary may receive A Walk Among Us and Static Age from me for Christmas. Let's pull together to teach them that there was music before they were born and that it was and still is GOOD music!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited October 2014

JWPearl said:

lol I had to go to the ER but everything is going to be cool so I appreciate the laughs while I am here
    Too many chalkie white tube rips??? Lol
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

I'm working in a restaurant and theres a lot of young girls coming wear those shirts with Ramones or Stones logo, and my common joke is this..''if you can name 10 songs, the dinner its free''..i have never loose..

>:)
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

JWPearl said:

Too many chalkie white tube rips??? Lol
    no, poisonous mushrooms :(
  • Options
    boyo79 said:

Nothing. If someone likes the design of a t-shirt then buy it. Doesn't matter whether it's a band shirt, sports shirt or any branded shirt.

yeah I would never wear the shirt of a band unless I actually listen to their music
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    boyo79 said:

This. It is an article of clothing.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Dog Loyal said:

There are few people more obnoxious than those who deem themselves the Shirt Police and demand anyone wearing a band (or sports team, or movie themed) shirt answer their self-important pop quiz. While I don't personally wear band shirts for bands I don't know and love, I have no respect for obnoxious twits who think it's their job to police everyone else's clothing choices.

Amen to this.

(shirt police :D)

You too, tiki.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    23scidoo said:

Hahahahaha
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    boyo79 said:

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    deadendp said:

About 6 months ago, the one girl at work was wearing a Misfits shirt. Loving GD Misfits, I commented on it. She shook her head and kind of gave me an odd look. I was talking to my other coworker who loves The Misfits. (She just saw them at the Agora this past weekend.) Turns out that she had talked to her about it earlier that day. "Mary had no idea who The Misfits are! She just bought it because she liked the shirt!" I told her that we needed to educate her.

I only purchase and wear shirts of bands that I've seen. I did have a Led Zeppelin shirt that I wore to death, but 1. I can name their albums. 2. I own their albums. 3. At least I saw Robert Plant and Jimmy Page a few times. Sadly, I did not see them as a band. I did have a Nirvana shirt that I wore to death. Saw them at a Halloween show the University of Akron in 1993.

Because of mass marketing stores (not advertising their names here) I think that more band shirts have become available to a purchasing audience than normally wouldn't have been. I suppose that it is up to us to help educate those who don't know. Mary may receive A Walk Among Us and Static Age from me for Christmas. Let's pull together to teach them that there was music before they were born and that it was and still is GOOD music!

The Misfits Crimson ghost logo is quite fashionable. It has even invaded hiphop in one form or another.

I too asked a gal wearing a Misfits hat whether she liked the Michael Graves or Glen Danzig era Misfits or are you really new and like Dez? She looked at me like I had 10 heads.

It's fashion now. Mainstream. What's old is new. What's new is cool...

I guess it's like asking a dude/dudette wearing a Bilabong shirt if they surf?

Sometimes it's just fashion.

:-)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    a few years ago I was riding to a business meeting with a co-worker. He was about 10 years younger than me, or maybe more.
    Nirvana came on the radio...he asked me "which band is this?"
    I replied "Nirvana, you know- Kurt Cobain". He gave me a puzzled look. I realized that he had never heard of Kurt Cobain.

Next question for him was "Have you ever heard of Courtney Love?"
    He replied "Yeah, I know who Courtney Love is"

I almost pulled over and threw him out on the highway.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I enjoy wearing my husband's football jerseys. Jerry Rice and a couple others are the only ones I know.

The horror!
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    lolobugg said:

a few years ago I was riding to a business meeting with a co-worker. He was about 10 years younger than me, or maybe more.
    Nirvana came on the radio...he asked me "which band is this?"
    I replied "Nirvana, you know- Kurt Cobain". He gave me a puzzled look. I realized that he had never heard of Kurt Cobain.

Next question for him was "Have you ever heard of Courtney Love?"
    He replied "Yeah, I know who Courtney Love is"

I almost pulled over and threw him out on the highway.

lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited October 2014
    I've been warned so I'll keep it nice: zero. The answer to the question is friggin zero. People can wear whatever the hell they want with zero knowledge of the contents on the shirt.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    23scidoo said:

Yet, while you can name 10 songs, there is no prize for you.

• Options
    jamburger said:

23scidoo said:

Yet, while you can name 10 songs, there is no prize for you.

Made me think of

• Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    ^^ That's the guy that would quiz you for a free dinner. He knows his soup better than you do.
This discussion has been closed.