Options

Canadian Soldier shot on Parliament Hill

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
This just does not sound like an incident you would read about happening in Canada!
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/world/americas/canada-parliament-gunfire.html?_r=0

OTTAWA — An unidentified gunman traumatized the heart of the Canadian government on Wednesday, killing a soldier guarding the National War Memorial and then entering the nearby Parliament building, where he fired multiple shots. Police officers rushed to secure the building and move occupants to safety as they hunted for the assailant.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper had been inside Parliament at the time of the shooting but was evacuated safely, Reuters reported. The entire area, known as Parliament Hill, was placed on lockdown as police reinforcements arrived.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just nuts. I didn't even know there was another incident a couple of days ago.

(anyone else find it odd that people would TWEET in the midst of shit like this going down?)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,773
    Odd? No. Seems to be he norm. Tweet , film, post during bad shit. Abhorent? Absolutely.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited October 2014
    Parliament Hill attack: 1 gunman dead after soldier shot at National War Memoria
    lhttp://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliament-hill-attack-1-gunman-dead-after-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-1.2808710

There's been 3 shooting incidents in Ottawa, The War Memorial, Parliament Hill and Rideau Centre. And a soldier was run down by an extremist in Quebec earlier in the week.

In Quebec...

Canadian soldier dies in Quebec attack ‘linked to terrorist ideology’

http://globalnews.ca/news/1625585/canadian-soldier-struck-by-car-in-quebec-has-died/
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    hedonist said:

(anyone else find it odd that people would TWEET in the midst of shit like this going down?)

That is strange. The last thing I would do would be to get on social media at a time like that. Strange!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Sad ... very sad.

Will be interested to see who is behind these attacks.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

That is strange. The last thing I would do would be to get on social media at a time like that. Strange!

I don't think so at all. Most of the tweets are from journalists who are on the hill everyday. Just doing their job.

• Options
    I'm worried about how our government is going to react to this. I wouldn't be surprised if they used something like this to push their agenda.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

I don't think so at all. Most of the tweets are from journalists who are on the hill everyday. Just doing their job.

The article has changed from when it was initially posted.

I don't know, something like this going down, I think I'd be more of a simple human being going through this than just doing my job. Seems like that could wait, no? Especially while ordered to lie on the floor for safety purposes.

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    I got some friends there right now at a convention, scary shit. They are all safe lockdowned in a hotel
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

I got some friends there right now at a convention, scary shit. They are all safe lockdowned in a hotel

Yeah, I have some friends on parliament hill too. They are all safe.
  • Options
    It appears all the politicians are safe ... in anyone was wondering or concerned.

• Options
    dignin said:

BLACK35 said:

Good to hear!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    lukin2006 said:

Sad ... very sad.

Was it IS???
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
  • Options
    badbrains said:

lukin2006 said:

Sad ... very sad.

Was it IS???
    probably too early to say ...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Jason Kenney نVerified account
    @kenneyjason

Condolences to family of the soldier killed, & prayers for the Parliamentary guard wounded. Canada will not be terrorized or intimidated.

• Options
    badbrains said:
    WOW!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Apparently soldier was shot has now passed ... RIP ...

He was guarding the national war memorial...

UPDATE: Soldier killed in War Memorial attack; gunman killed, others still sought

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/soldier-shot-at-war-memorial-in-ottawa

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited October 2014
    Jason Kenney is a world class douchebag and will be the first to use these incidents to promote broad islamophobia.
    News flash, Jason....looks like canada IS being terrorized. And every time there is a terror attack, the terrorists themselves blame western foreign policy. our intelligence agencies have admitted its nearly impossible to monitor / stop 'lone wolf' attacks by disgruntled people with no ties to extremist organizations. Sooooo...canada WILL continue to be terrorized. But I'm sure, in the meantime, we will see increased surveillance and further erosion of our privacy.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options

Jason Kenney is a world class douchebag and will be the first to use these incidents to promote broad islamophobia.
    News flash, Jason....looks like canada IS being terrorized. And every time there is a terror attack, the terrorists themselves blame western foreign policy. our intelligence agencies have admitted its nearly impossible to monitor / stop 'lone wolf' attacks by disgruntled people with no ties to extremist organizations. Sooooo...canada WILL continue to be terrorized. But I'm sure, in the meantime, we will see increased surveillance and further erosion of our privacy.

I agree on both counts, Kenny is an asshole and the conservatives will use this to our detriment. (as shown by his tweet)
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

dignin said:

BLACK35 said:

Good to hear!
    Thanks, glad your friends are safe too.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited October 2014
    Three shooting incidents now - war memorial, in parliament, and in a nearby shopping centre. Not sure if anyone was actually shot in the mall. Just says there was a shooting incident there. Obviously more than one shooter, and sounds like only one of them is caught/dead.
    Way too much speculation on it being some kind of Islamic-inspired terrorist attack. I'd say the reason for this is that Canadian war planes and troops just left Canada yesterday for the Middle East to begin their active military involvement against ISIS (which I am somewhat against btw). WAY too early to assume that that is anything other than a coincidence though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    I heard today the female from Afghanistan the won the Nobel Peace Prize was supposed to become a Canadian Citizen today.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    PJ_Soul, come on. It's not WAY too early to assume this is a direct relationship to all of this bullshit going on in the world today. As if it's completely isolated. No way. Our CF18's take off yesterday, the following day an armed forces member is murdered outside Parliament Hill, 48 hours after that RCMP officer was killed by being hit by a radical. To be able to put two and two together is necessary.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited October 2014
    evsgjamm said:

PJ_Soul, come on. It's not WAY too early to assume this is a direct relationship to all of this bullshit going on in the world today. As if it's completely isolated. No way. Our CF18's take off yesterday, the following day an armed forces member is murdered outside Parliament Hill, 48 hours after that RCMP officer was killed by being hit by a radical. To be able to put two and two together is necessary.

It actually IS way too early, because we have NO idea who the shooters are! For all we know they have some other gripe with the government, or are just mental cases. Yeah, maybe it's related to Canada's role in the fight against ISIS or something, and that seems the most likely scenario, but before we know who the shooters are, it makes no sense to to assume anything, and I am VERY against the media in particular making such assumptions before they have any facts whatsoever. I'm not trying to be PC here (I definitely do not have a reputation for that, haha). I'm just using logic and restraint. I am pretty sure that the police do not go by the "put two and two together guys!" theory that you've outlined to solve cases, lol!!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    evsgjamm said:

You have absolutely no idea. It is too soon.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    I had a choice to use restraint or to be presumptuous and I chose the latter in this story. That's the side I'll remain on during this event. I'm going with "the most likely scenario" as you put it. Can't be any other way in my opinion. Not this time. No way.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    Can't be Islamists.. that violence is just a myth according to the other thread here.

RIP to the soldier and my condolences to those affected by today's attack. Just horrible.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    You guys should ban the gunz.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:

You guys should ban the gunz.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to say that. I would take my country guns laws over your country laws any day of the week.

anyway, this is a really a sad story and i hope the families can move past this.