Options

St Paul vs Moline

1st time seeing back to back shows on a tour and my wife and i observed something that we think is funny and sweet at the same time.
Both shows were epic, yet so different. Moline, no code was a great surprise, smaller venue, great energy etc........Ed got hammered and messed up all kinds of stuff, which i love, shows he's human. Great to see him having a blast and being in the state of mind most of us were in. Loved it and will never forget that show.
Fast forward to St. Paul. That was the best music ever heard by these ears. Crisp, on point, vocals top notch, didnt hear a mess up but im sure there was a few. Seems like the St. Paul show was about the music with a recognizable setlist for the common fan. My bet is this boot will sound better than any other show on this tour. Footsteps, unreal. Props to XCEL on their accoustics, best ive heard at indoor arena.
Here's the difference, MOMMY was there in St. Paul. It was obvious to my wife and i that Moline was Ed's last night out for a while without his wife around, he knew it and he partied it up right in front of us, it was awesome. In St. Paul it was obvious he was on good behavior and wanted to show off his chops to his wife. Took very few breaks (wink,wink), left for only about 30 seconds during even flow. He was there to delivery the best sounding music to not only the fans, but for his wife at her 1st show on this tour. Right after Ed mentioned his wife was there in St. Paul we looked at each other and said "no wonder, he's showing off for his wife". Music and vocals were the best i've hear from the band yet. He must still really love her!!!!!!!!!!

Alpine 9-03-11
Alpine 9-04-11
Wrigley 7-19-13
Moline 10-17-14
St. Paul 10-19-14
Wrigley 8-20-16
Wrigley 8-22-16
Wrigley 8-18-18
Wrigley 8-20-18
Vegas 05-20-22
St. Paul 08-31-23
St. Paul 09-02-23
"Live in the Present Tense"

Comments

• Options
    In St. Paul, there was a big group from the EB Foundation there, including children. I was sitting across the aisle from them and he was running over and interacting with them all night, that probably played a part in is alcohol intake, or lack thereof.
  • Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    Yeah, my guess is that it had more to do with the EB Foundation and patients than his wife being there (but she's included in the EB side of things, so, there's that connection...?). Either way, they were both pretty great shows!
  • Options
    as someone who went to St. Paul but really wished I had seen the Moline show, I would have to agree. I can't compare to Moline but I think the best part of the St. Paul show was that they sounded really good. I was bumming about missing out on the No Code and Yield album setlists but you are exactly right and makes me feel more excited about the MN show.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    Very few flubs, high energy show with the hits. Jeremy was about the only one left off for hits. Moline was different but had charm. St. Paul was a "look what we can do with our back catalogue".
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited October 2014
    Was at both, enjoyed both for different reasons. St. Paul got the awesome LBC with Jumping Jack Flash! LBC is one of my alltime favourites, so it was such a treat to hear it at ACL where I wasn't expecting it, with the new intro, and then again in St. Paul!
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Moline was awesome and epic, had a great time and thought that may me the top of the shows I was going to.
    St Paul was awesome and so loud and so fun, you could feel the energy coursing through the building. Did I mention loud.
    So here is my take away - they were both great shows but for me St Paul takes it, because while on paper Moline was the "better" show in person it was St Paul. The band was on fire, I got Released finally and the crowd was insane and deafening.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    MS23098MS23098 Posts: 102
    Agree they sounded a little tighter in St. Paul, while I still liked the set better in Moline, they were both great shows. For me I think They both would be instant top ten shows of the ones I've been too if I were to try and rank
  • Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    I think I personally had more fun at St. Paul because I had room to dance and flail all I wanted. We ended up peeking at the rail at the back of the lower section before the show, but stayed there because security didn't ask us to leave. I had a blast taking up all the room I needed to dance back and forth between empty spots in the crowd so I could get a better view. :-)
    Actually enjoyed a couple who pretty much stayed seated for most of it, because they were giants I couldn't see around when they stood for 1/4 of the show! hehehe