When Did Pearl Jam Fans Get so Old?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

october22 said:

I'm 35 and very happy about coming of age in the 90's. I think one day future generations will look back on that decade in the way we now perceive the 50's; as a time of relative peace and innocence/charming naivete. I'm extremely grateful for having been an adult in 2001 and not having my young mind only know a post 9/11 world. It's a blessing to have lived and known life on both sides of that epoch. My earliest memories of the world outside my town are of watching The Wall come down on TV and sadly those in their 20's are probably much different.

I first saw Pearl Jam when I was 20 but loved them since I was 12. So yeah, I'm older now but I'm not bummed about it, I cherish it.

well said.
    Yes it was. Totally agree and also feel grateful for having been able to grow up before the new millennium. Not only in the 90s (which were fantastic - my entire high school and university years were during that decade, and I'm so happy about that timing! Even though things started to slide by 1998 or so, lol), but also as a younger kid in the 80s, when we could run wild around the neighborhood without supervision and actually grew up with freedom and independence (from adults and from technology) instead of being constantly supervised and dependent. I really mourn the loss of that ability for kids born later. It's such a shame that society allowed that to happen, to the detriment of their kids' development, IMO.
    well said!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited November 2014
    lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

october22 said:

I'm 35 and very happy about coming of age in the 90's. I think one day future generations will look back on that decade in the way we now perceive the 50's; as a time of relative peace and innocence/charming naivete. I'm extremely grateful for having been an adult in 2001 and not having my young mind only know a post 9/11 world. It's a blessing to have lived and known life on both sides of that epoch. My earliest memories of the world outside my town are of watching The Wall come down on TV and sadly those in their 20's are probably much different.

I first saw Pearl Jam when I was 20 but loved them since I was 12. So yeah, I'm older now but I'm not bummed about it, I cherish it.

well said.
    Yes it was. Totally agree and also feel grateful for having been able to grow up before the new millennium. Not only in the 90s (which were fantastic - my entire high school and university years were during that decade, and I'm so happy about that timing! Even though things started to slide by 1998 or so, lol), but also as a younger kid in the 80s, when we could run wild around the neighborhood without supervision and actually grew up with freedom and independence (from adults and from technology) instead of being constantly supervised and dependent. I really mourn the loss of that ability for kids born later. It's such a shame that society allowed that to happen, to the detriment of their kids' development, IMO.
    well said!!!!
    1998 was the last truly awesome year for me
    shit, I didn't mean to quote myself.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

october22 said:

well said.
    well said!!!!
    Agreed.

(speaking as a child of the 70s.......... :-B )
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

october22 said:

well said.
    well said!!!!
    1998 was the last truly awesome year for me
    shit, I didn't mean to quote myself.

Class of 98 right here. It was a good year for me !! Man, I miss it !
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    Just turned 43 today, and yep, I'm old. Where is the part of the forum where we see the birthdays? I was looking forward to see my avatar up there!
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    igotid_8 said:

Just turned 43 today, and yep, I'm old. Where is the part of the forum where we see the birthdays? I was looking forward to see my avatar up there!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    The new forum doesn't have the bdays listed. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Kidney stones
    False teeth
    Bifocals
    White hair...not grey but WHITE!

YEAH I FUKING OLD!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Kidney stones
    False teeth
    Bifocals

YEAH I FUKING OLD!

=))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Kidney stones
    False teeth
    Bifocals

YEAH I FUKING OLD!

=))
    2 bum knees
    A sore back
    My feet hurt

And my doctor wants me to exercise more?

Hey doc? Exercise would probably land me in intensive care!

• Options

lolobugg said:

Kidney stones
    False teeth
    Bifocals

YEAH I FUKING OLD!

=))
    2 bum knees
    A sore back
    My feet hurt

=)) x 100
    too much, man!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

Kidney stones
    False teeth
    Bifocals

YEAH I FUKING OLD!

=))
    2 bum knees
    A sore back
    My feet hurt

=)) x 100
    too much, man!!!
    when did I start feeling old?

When I realized I was more than content to stay home on the weekend, and watch the cooking network.

• Options
    And let's not forget the bottle of antacids that I keep on the nightstand.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

damn, Speedy
    I hope you got insurance.... :))
    and let's not forget the fact that you gave away your life savings to the PJ Queens Forrest Hill crowd sourcing Ponzi scheme. maybe some senility creeping in?
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I wake up on Saturday.
    And the 1st thing that comes to mind?

Damn, I can't wait to go back to bed!
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

damn, Speedy
    I hope you got insurance.... :))
    and let's not forget the fact that you gave away your life savings to the PJ Queens Forrest Hill crowd sourcing Ponzi scheme. maybe some senility creeping in?
    Hahahaha

It's hell getting old!

• Options
    When I started realizing that fishing was my only exercise?

I knew dammed well I was getting old
  • Options
    I'm glad of my age now so I'm not some wasted shithead (referring to my younger self, not anyone here) and can enjoy the show for what it is. I would love to have a time machine and go back in time to see some of the early PJ shows sober to take it all in. It's too bad the arrow of time only goes one way. I can't wait for the next tour and for all us old fuckers to get together again!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

october22 said:

well said.
    As a young kid in the late eighties and early nineties I enjoyed those same freedoms. I didn't get a cell phone till I was 17 when I needed one for work, and my biggest requirement was that it had Snake. Never had a beeper. I was fortunate to be one of them free range kids let loose on the street. I'm fairly certain it's why I'm a)not scared of my own shadow b) able to talk to people face to face, in conversation c)navigate unknown lands (like Brooklyn!) efficiently on my own. I live near an elementary school and when I see those kids huddled together in a corner texting each other I weep for humanity (on the inside). We even used to go trick or treating with friends in the building or friends' buildings or blocks etc. These kids only go to stores now, I haven't even bought candy in years.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

It's still very possible to let your kids grow up without constant supervision, to allow them to develop independence and confidence. The tough part is when none of their friends are allowed to share this with them. Walk to school? Nope, they're not allowed. Go downtown on the bus together? Nope. Go to an event without parents there to supervise? No, no, no. Hard to see these kids doing well off at university in 3 years. And all of this because of overhyped fears and misinformation.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf