Options

When Did Pearl Jam Fans Get so Old?

Comments

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    It's interesting that a lot of the people I've met through PJ who are around my age (I am 22) are sorta cut from the same/similar cloth when it comes to music. A lot of us are obsessed with the music we listen to in a way I feel our peers may not be. And pretty much nobody I know who likes PJ around my age are into Top 40 music very much. Just an observation!

Also, I love thinking about how our stories may be similar regarding PJ, but the years are different. I was a confused 15 year old with not many friends and little to no self esteem, as well as a little angst. I found PJ through Ten and my entire world opened up. I don't know where I'd be without them to help me through my high school, college, and now twenty-something years. Just for me, that journey began in 2008 instead of 1991. We're all here because PJ's music has resonated with us in some special way--a way that age ultimately transcends! Which I think is pretty damn cool. :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    samjam said:

It's interesting that a lot of the people I've met through PJ who are around my age (I am 22) are sorta cut from the same/similar cloth when it comes to music. A lot of us are obsessed with the music we listen to in a way I feel our peers may not be. And pretty much nobody I know who likes PJ around my age are into Top 40 music very much. Just an observation!

Also, I love thinking about how our stories may be similar regarding PJ, but the years are different. I was a confused 15 year old with not many friends and little to no self esteem, as well as a little angst. I found PJ through Ten and my entire world opened up. I don't know where I'd be without them to help me through my high school, college, and now twenty-something years. Just for me, that journey began in 2008 instead of 1991. We're all here because PJ's music has resonated with us in some special way--a way that age ultimately transcends! Which I think is pretty damn cool. :)

\m/
    rock on, sister!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    COrockCOrock Denver, CO Posts: 4
    I am 19 and saw PJ a couple weeks ago in Denver with my 50 yr old dad, though I am a much bigger fan than he is. To any of you who have mentioned feeling sad about being older - don't. It's really not that great to be young in today's society. The music today is missing something. I would throw away all of my technology and privileges in a heartbeat if it meant that I could be a teenager in the 90s.
  • Options
    COrock said:

I am 19 and saw PJ a couple weeks ago in Denver with my 50 yr old dad, though I am a much bigger fan than he is. To any of you who have mentioned feeling sad about being older - don't. It's really not that great to be young in today's society. The music today is missing something. I would throw away all of my technology and privileges in a heartbeat if it meant that I could be a teenager in the 90s.

\m/
    Rock on too, sister
    it was pretty fun!!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 729

I may be 48 and been a fan since 1991/2, but as long as the boys can rock out on stage, I'll be rocking it out in the audience!

here here!
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    lolobugg said:

COrock said:

\m/
    Rock on too, sister
    it was pretty fun!!!!
    How many "rock ons" are you gonna rock on buddy? =))
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    COrock said:

Ha. I much more enjoyed life WO all the technology. Especially at work.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 275
    COrock said:

I was a teenager in the 90's. I've never seen that sentiment before - it was always something like " I wish I was a child of the 70's". Teenager in the 90's. I like it.

• Options
    CaelumCaelum Illinois Posts: 25
    COrock said:

One thing I'm grateful for about being the age I am now, which had me in my late teens in the mid-90s, was that we sort of had both worlds -- we were coming of age before the explosion of internet and cellphones, and had lots of good music in the mainstream, including videos (good ones) on MTV, yet we were still young enough to be on the ground floor with the new technology when it came around -- so we greatly experienced both sides of it.
    St. Louis '00, East Troy, Wis., '03, St. Louis, '03, Champaign, Ill., '03, Chicago '06, Milwaukee Summerfest '06, PJ20 East Troy, Wis., '11, Wrigley Field, '13, St. Louis '14, Moline '14, Milwaukee '14
  • Options
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

COrock said:

\m/
    Rock on too, sister
    it was pretty fun!!!!
    How many "rock ons" are you gonna rock on buddy? =))
    \m/ \m/
    Two for you, BB!!!
    Rock on, Rock on!!!!
    :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159

COrock said:

I was a teenager in the 90's. I've never seen that sentiment before - it was always something like " I wish I was a child of the 70's". Teenager in the 90's. I like it.

I felt that way in the 90's. I would think how cool would it of been to see Led Zeppelin or all those classic rock bands in their hey day. In retrospect we had had it pretty good being teen's in the 90s. We lived through one of the greatest Rock era's (possibly the last one :( ). The 90's were still still close enough to the late 60s/70s that the older rock bands were still touring and weren't overly old yet. Hence we got the best of both worlds being able to see both Modern and Classic Rock bands. Ticketmaster was crooked but not nearly as crooked as they are now. Ticket prices were much more modest and add-on fees were smaller. Internet tickets didn't catch on until the end of the 90s so you still had a pretty good shot at tickets. Rock music was still popular in a good way and had massive radio play.

I liked the 90s... At least the early to mid 90's. Rock started to fizzle out with bands inspired band bands who were inspired by Seattle bands by the end of the 90s :)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I like Motown and doo wop. I'm a millennial.

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I think the Foos are more media savvy then most.Grohl is master of jumping genre and picking up fans.He plays with everyone from John Paul Jones to Zac Brown to Stevie Nicks and Corey Taylor.He is at home in Rock,punk,blues and now some country.To identify with the youth I think you first have to put your product in front of them,not make them come to you.Foos have done well with this.Even some years ago with the Learn to Fly Video and the Big Me Mentos thing just as one example.Sound City and Sonic Highways as another,and A Nirvana stint at HOF with multiple popular hipster artists(Lorde)singing as yet another.Oh yeah and rocking out tiny clubs and doing Crowdfunder shows when your one of the biggest bands in the world,Dosent sour your cred with the latest generations either.
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    My concert buddies at Leeds were young women of 22 and 19. As a mother of 3 in my late 30s i didn't feel out of place at all in their company - it is so easy to find common ground with people of all ages when you share a love of the same music.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I think the Foos are more media savvy then most.Grohl is master of jumping genre and picking up fans.He plays with everyone from John Paul Jones to Zac Brown to Stevie Nicks and Corey Taylor.He is at home in Rock,punk,blues and now some country.To identify with the youth I think you first have to put your product in front of them,not make them come to you.Foos have done well with this.Even some years ago with the Learn to Fly Video and the Big Me Mentos thing just as one example.Sound City and Sonic Highways as another,and A Nirvana stint at HOF with multiple popular hipster artists(Lorde)singing as yet another.Oh yeah and rocking out tiny clubs and doing Crowdfunder shows when your one of the biggest bands in the world,Dosent sour your cred with the latest generations either.

Well said RR. Only problem, I can't stand lorde. She butchered that song on the HoF show. What's with her freaking out? So fake.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

rr165892 said:

Well said RR. Only problem, I can't stand lorde. She butchered that song on the HoF show. What's with her freaking out? So fake.
    I'm not a fan of hers either,but it does show that the Foos can connect with a broader/younger fan base as they listen to her.It really shows a forward thinking approach to music and gaining fan base.
  • Options
    swtlewswtlew Posts: 71
    "When you rock with me I will understand, as that is something everybody, everywhere, every age, does in the same language."
    I want to rock and roll all night, and part of every day. - M. McCready
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Zod said:

COrock said:

I felt that way in the 90's. I would think how cool would it of been to see Led Zeppelin or all those classic rock bands in their hey day. In retrospect we had had it pretty good being teen's in the 90s. We lived through one of the greatest Rock era's (possibly the last one :( ). The 90's were still still close enough to the late 60s/70s that the older rock bands were still touring and weren't overly old yet. Hence we got the best of both worlds being able to see both Modern and Classic Rock bands. Ticketmaster was crooked but not nearly as crooked as they are now. Ticket prices were much more modest and add-on fees were smaller. Internet tickets didn't catch on until the end of the 90s so you still had a pretty good shot at tickets. Rock music was still popular in a good way and had massive radio play.

I liked the 90s... At least the early to mid 90's. Rock started to fizzle out with bands inspired band bands who were inspired by Seattle bands by the end of the 90s :)
    I agree as I was a teen in the 80s.Already old enough to drink as the 90,s rolled in.It was great seeing Van Halen,Cheap Trick,AC/DC,Maiden,journey,etc in their prime.Stadiums packed and filled to the top.Hanging out playing Atari, getting High and listening to Dokken,Sabbath,Zeppelin and Van Halen.Good fucking times.Chasing tourist girls who came down for spring break.
    Us latch key kids made our own fun and it was great.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    COrock said:

yeah that's a good statement.
    The 90s were literally the last decade/movement in teen angst rebellion. I feel fortunate to have been a teen back then. It was still like the 70s and 80s where you had to seek out good music and unique bands no one heard of unless you only watched MTV all day.
    MTV was a huge influence on teens but it wasn't everything.
    Nothing for me personally was better than seeing a flyer or newspaper ad with a show booked in your hometown or reading in print a new album on the horizon. back when you got tshirts, bootlegs or merch from flea markets and you didn't know if it was authentic from the band, you just knew it was cool...what put me over the top as a PJ fan was the 3-4 hour pirate radio broadcasts in '95 and '98...what else could you ask for from a band??
    NO ONE WAS DOING WHAT PJ DID IN THE 90s
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I miss being a teen in the 90s...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    deenieskateeniedeenieskateenie Australia Posts: 22

COrock said:

yeah that's a good statement.
    The 90s were literally the last decade/movement in teen angst rebellion. I feel fortunate to have been a teen back then. It was still like the 70s and 80s where you had to seek out good music and unique bands no one heard of unless you only watched MTV all day.
    MTV was a huge influence on teens but it wasn't everything.
    Nothing for me personally was better than seeing a flyer or newspaper ad with a show booked in your hometown or reading in print a new album on the horizon. back when you got tshirts, bootlegs or merch from flea markets and you didn't know if it was authentic from the band, you just knew it was cool...what put me over the top as a PJ fan was the 3-4 hour pirate radio broadcasts in '95 and '98...what else could you ask for from a band??
    NO ONE WAS DOING WHAT PJ DID IN THE 90s
    THIS. =D>
  • Options
    I remember before the internet
    I used to call the Ticketbastard rep and make them read off all of the upcoming shows in hopes that someone cool was playing.
    They probably used to hate me but because I lived in a small town I had no access to the "free Music weeklies" that advertised shows in Atlanta.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

I used to call the Ticketbastard rep and make them read off all of the upcoming shows in hopes that someone cool was playing.
    They probably used to hate me but because I lived in a small town I had no access to the "free Music weeklies" that advertised shows in Atlanta.

Do you remember Ck 101 "Rockin the Tri-delta" out of Sparty?I used to spend some of my summers as a counselor at A camp in Hendersonville.(early 80s)Would always listen to that station.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    rr165892 said:

lolobugg said:

Do you remember Ck 101 "Rockin the Tri-delta" out of Sparty?I used to spend some of my summers as a counselor at A camp in Hendersonville.(early 80s)Would always listen to that station.
    I know the camp you are speaking of. My cousin was a volunteer counselor there.
    Funny thing is I have only lived in Ashevegas since 2001.
    I grew up in Alabama and spent time in Atlanta.
    I must've missed that radio station.
    There were some cool AOR stations when I first moved here before Clear Channel swallowed them up.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

rr165892 said:

lolobugg said:

There were some cool AOR stations when I first moved here before Clear Channel swallowed them up.
    I still can't believe you're from bama Logan! You roll with the tide? Hahaha
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661

I miss being a teen in the 90s...

Some of the best years of my life !
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

rr165892 said:

lolobugg said:

I still can't believe you're from bama Logan! You roll with the tide? Hahaha
    Hell yeah, man.
    The Tide for me is like how you feel about your Rangers.
    I only pull for winners. (j/k- I am a Cubs fan too.)
    you won't see me in any Auburn shit ever!!!!
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I'm 35 and very happy about coming of age in the 90's. I think one day future generations will look back on that decade in the way we now perceive the 50's; as a time of relative peace and innocence/charming naivete. I'm extremely grateful for having been an adult in 2001 and not having my young mind only know a post 9/11 world. It's a blessing to have lived and known life on both sides of that epoch. My earliest memories of the world outside my town are of watching The Wall come down on TV and sadly those in their 20's are probably much different.

I first saw Pearl Jam when I was 20 but loved them since I was 12. So yeah, I'm older now but I'm not bummed about it, I cherish it.
  • Options
    october22 said:

I'm 35 and very happy about coming of age in the 90's. I think one day future generations will look back on that decade in the way we now perceive the 50's; as a time of relative peace and innocence/charming naivete. I'm extremely grateful for having been an adult in 2001 and not having my young mind only know a post 9/11 world. It's a blessing to have lived and known life on both sides of that epoch. My earliest memories of the world outside my town are of watching The Wall come down on TV and sadly those in their 20's are probably much different.

I first saw Pearl Jam when I was 20 but loved them since I was 12. So yeah, I'm older now but I'm not bummed about it, I cherish it.

well said.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2014
    lolobugg said:

october22 said:

well said.
    Yes it was. Totally agree and also feel grateful for having been able to grow up before the new millennium. Not only in the 90s (which were fantastic - my entire high school and university years were during that decade, and I'm so happy about that timing! Even though things started to slide by 1998 or so, lol), but also as a younger kid in the 80s, when we could run wild around the neighborhood without supervision and actually grew up with freedom and independence (from adults and from technology) instead of being constantly supervised and dependent. I really mourn the loss of that ability for kids born later. It's such a shame that society allowed that to happen, to the detriment of their kids' development, IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata