Options

No Way: The Most Underrated PJ Song

KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,437
IMHO
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    this is my white whale
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 916
    Heard it in belfast, great song
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

IMHO

Opinion noted and seconded.

I have a dream of PJ doing the whole Yield album on tour. I even like Push me/pull me. There is some funky bass and guitar on that track!
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited October 2014
    Insignificance is IMO, because they only play it once or twice a year and that is a song that could be played every show with the way it whips the crowd into a frenzy, plus it is so complicated musically because of the timing and intricacy to play and the lyrics are phenomenal, like seriously who doesn't want to see this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzobeA6cCqY

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    Is it underrated?
    It's a fucking AWESOME song!!!!! But I'm not sure it's underrated or under-appreciated. Doesn't pretty much everyone love it? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yes, quite underrated, IMHO.
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    I don't know if Insignificance is underrated as much as under-played. Really hope I get this one in Moline tomorrow!
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • Options

I don't know if Insignificance is underrated as much as under-played. Really hope I get this one in Moline tomorrow!

ME TOO!!! LOVE Insignificance live!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Is it underrated?
    It's a fucking AWESOME song!!!!! But I'm not sure it's underrated or under-appreciated. Doesn't pretty much everyone love it? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3P8Hn8Id0
  • Options

Yeah, exactly. I have seen a LOT of top ten lists that include this song... so not underrated. Underplayed. But they've been playing it more lately. I was SO happy to see it last year in Vancouver! I might have freaked out a little. ;))
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

well that is true, but I think sometimes Eddie bases his setlists off of what he thinks the fans want to hear. Here are the stats for Insignificance, by the way I fucking love No Way too! Yield is my second favorite album behind Vs
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/songs/?song_id=257
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    No way no way is underrated.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Is it underrated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3P8Hn8Id0
    Great show!!
  • Options
    Love love love "no way"! I pretty much love all Stone songs
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I've been listening to riot act recently & I have a newfound appreciation for Ghost. I know is a favorite for some people, but I am not sure if it would be considered under appreciated
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

I've been listening to riot act recently & I have a newfound appreciation for Ghost. I know is a favorite for some people, but I am not sure if it would be considered under appreciated

Ghost fucking riules
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Love the song, from a seminal album, great guitar sound from stone. It's hard to say what underrated is, maybe underplayed is better. I agree ghost is a real grower , and would love to hear marker in the sand or speed of sound live. Every song is part of the evolution of the band and a reflection of the conscious world at that time and pearl jam are good at tapping into this, that's why some songs have longevity , because they represent certain feelings. No way is like this IMO making a stand, but aware of the control or controllers.....yield......
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    It's in a weird tuning I think isn't it? I remember when yield came out I was learning guitar and I brought it in for the instructor to teach me. He couldn't figure it out completely because it was drop D but a variation somehow. Makes me wonder if that's part of the reason they don't play it much? Not that it should matter because a lot of their songs are in weird tunings and they have a crap ton of guitars off stage
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    IMHO

Opinion noted and seconded.

I have a dream of PJ doing the whole Yield album on tour. I even like Push me/pull me. There is some funky bass and guitar on that track!

I had to quote myself because my dream came true and I wasn't at the show...
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    i read that post and was like, 'man, how many days before milwaukee was that posted because that's some psychic shit right there'.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    Is it underrated?

Agreed. Just underplayed.
    2005: Kitchener / London / Hamilton | 2006: Toronto 1&2 | 2010: Hartford | 2011: Toronto 1&2 / Hamilton
    2013: London, Brooklyn 1&2 | 2014: Detroit | 2015: New York | 2016: Ottawa / Toronto 1 / Wrigley 1
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    Underrated by Stone maybe.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Didn't/doesn't Stone dislike the song? He said something along the lines that "it has a good opening groove but doesn't really go anywhere."

Maybe it was me who thought the first part of that statement.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Every time I see this thread I get No Way stuck in my head for at least an hour. :P
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,041
    edited February 2015
    Underrated maybe. Underplayed absolutely!
    One of my favorites for sure.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    It is one of the few Pearl Jam songs that I never get bored of listening to (ironically most of those songs for me come off of Yield).

No Way has a great groove and I love the production on it for Yield. I think it falls short though live and so I can understand why they don't play it a lot. It might be a better live song for smaller venues and a higher percentage of die hards in the audience.