Options

St. Paul General Admission Question

Hello everyone,
I know there have been a lot of questions about G.A. this tour and how it works and I have read them all. My wife and I were lucky enough to both win two tickets from lottery last spring for St. Paul and we decided instead of taking friends, we are going to take our 14 and 13 year old daughters. They have grown up on Pearl Jam and it has been a soundtrack of their short lives.. All three of them are less than 5'5" and after reading many comments and seeing some pictures from G.A./ Pit I am starting to wonder if this is such a good idea. From looking at pics, it looks like 90% of people are 6 foot plus dudes. My girls of course are jacked and want to get in line super early to try to get as close as possible. Can anyone who has been a part of this before offer any advice/suggestions? Anyone ever been up close or in middle with children? Is it relatively safe, or would it be better to be a little off to one side or another? This is a once in a lifetime experience for them, and I want it to be as fun, yet safe as possible.

Thanks for any thoughts, Joe

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    You should just put them on your shoulders!
    http://youtu.be/0wCCBMlHnRM
    I'm sure they'll be fine. There was plenty of room in the back of Lincoln's GA.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Get there early, like 6am. You will be on the rail. Nothing to worry about. The drunk assholes will be behind you. Just extremely hard if not impossible to get to the restroom and back.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Anyone else able to chime in? Thanks!
  • Options
    Just food for thought and not trying to be confrontational... In my opinion, I truly question parents' thought process on subjecting their young children to a night of standing in tight quarters generally among a fan-base of adults occupying said space. Are these parents really thinking about what is best for their children or are they more concerned about themselves being as close as possible to the band using the façade of having a family bonding experience? Are these parents more focused on providing an experience they yearned for rather than acting as truly responsible parents?

If you are going to be “on the rail”, are you prepared for having a drink spilled on your child? Are you ready to make your way in and out of the crowd to go to the restroom? Is your child ok with having you and others pressed up against her/him for 3 straight hours? Are they ok with constantly looking up rather than looking forward?

I have been fortunate enough to have my parents take me to rock and roll concerts in my early teens. From my seat, I envied those in front of the stage. I looked forward to being big enough to handle myself in GA. But you know what my parents taught me? The night was always about the music, the band’s performance, the feelings all of that generated in me, not your proximity to the band.

I held that with me through my times in GA and appreciated my good fortune to be able to make and get the most out of each and every show. After getting married and bringing my 5’4” wife to shows, I realized GA is not the best experience for her. Now as a father, I do not think GA is the best experience for my young children. I understand GA in 2014 is not GA in 1992. I believe GA in 2014 consists of fantastic, generous, learned people. But is it really the best possible location a parent can provide a child to have the best possible experience? In my opinion, the answer is no.

I think you have worthy intentions. I hope to follow your example of steering my children toward this music. But I think we will disagree on this topic. I do hope you and your family have the best possible time at the show in St. Paul.
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options
    Wow. Subjecting my kids in a façade of family bonding? This band is not getting any younger and this is the first time in many, many, years they are actually coming to Minnesota. My kids love the band and this is probably the only chance to see them together. Thanks for your thoughts, but it is not about us at all, it is about trying to give them a pretty amazing memory. My wife and I have travelled all over USA to see them over the years and now we get to see them in our home state. I never even said anything about " the rail". I was just asking if some of my concerns were warranted. As far as having 4 reserved together that is impossible due to Ten Club rules..... Sheesh
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited October 2014
    Dude. You'll be safe. GA is cool. Most people are decent. If your kids want rail, then get there early morning. If not, then just have fun during the day and chill with your family in back of GA. Either way they will have great time. Let them decide.

I was rail by myself in Phoenix. Back of GA in Cincy with my wife. Would rather have fun with my wife and kids (too young for shows at 3 and 4 yrs old) then worry about it. It's great music regardless.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Well the wife and I just drove back from last night's concert in Moline. All I can say is WOW!! What an amazing night! Yeah we will be getting in line early tomorrow with our kids and hope for the best. Hopefully it will be a night they never forget.....