Options

Now that the dust has completely settled, what do you think of the new forums?

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
edited October 2014 in The Porch
Okay folks, time to agitate the hive a little. Most of us know that the format of the PJ forums was completely revamped early this year. It was not well received. Many threatened to leave the forums and even the TC altogether. Some actually followed through on the threat.
But, it seems to me that most of the issues that people had were fixed over time and we now have a pretty damn good message board. Or do we? Thats what I hope to find out with this poll!

Now that the dust has completely settled, what do you think of the new forums? 94 votes

Get Right! The new format is an improvement over the old.
23%
red mosMayDay10vaggar99bootlegger10my2handsForce Of Natureon2legscoach pjmelflashChazzboyo79KV4053RP112579Kearn5yMedozKcmaliszeikiTryanjp2323scurtisMean Joe 22 votes
Grievance. The new format is worse than the old.
23%
cincybearcatIndifferencemookeywrenchfall by the waysidemusicismylife78pjradioSprunkn7rssesqstawamusHollisBrownGiven to...DissidentmanUpSideDownarqdimitrispearljamwavesrollbyOceanInDisguise13giventofly69Brane_of_JFKjcarhart 22 votes
Indifference. The new format is no better or no worse than the old.
53%
gimmesometruth27jeffbrmcgruff10quasi2-feign-reluctancebazzerTravelarDead Man WalkinggoldrushlolobuggiOnlyownMymindpdalowskypjsteelerfansilver39PA JammerItIsAllAboutPJJimmyVPM16037HesCalledDyerDS80666 50 votes

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Works great for me. Like it.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    Like the new forum but I didn't dislike the old. Both work great for me
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I miss being able to "search users' posts"...like, I will remember a certain member that started a thread, but I don't remember the title, just some hilarious comment they made, and I can't find it easily anymore. image

I like that the new board lets you embed YT videos and post larger pictures...but that's about it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    just happy we still have a common place where we can all share our passions with each other. I fancy some aspects of the new boards and miss some from the old. At the end of the day, I'm just glad we are all still here
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829

just happy we still have a common place where we can all share our passions with each other. I fancy some aspects of the new boards and miss some from the old. At the end of the day, I'm just glad we are all still here

+1
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355

+1

+2
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    edited October 2014
    I'm still partial to vB forums--vB3 was probably as good as message boards will ever get--but the real priority was having a user friendly forum again. I can live with what we have now, the change just could have been executed better.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited October 2014
    It's just fine. It is worse than the old forum, but indifference is the closest option for me. There are a few things that were better on the old forum - you could delete posts, you could edit PMs and see if sent ones had been read, and the constant email notifications are awful now (had to turn them off) - but for the most part, it's just fine. One thing i don't get is why the huge ugly sidebar is the default view. Why not make the view without the ridiculous sidebar the default? Because it's clearly the better view, and it is not obvious to newcomers how you get rid of it. But these are petty issues. The main point is who participates in the forums..... the new format sure drove a lot of people away. It surprises me how many felt so profoundly affected by a change in the appearance of a message board.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

But these are petty issues. The main point is who participates in the forums..... the new format sure drove a lot of people away. It surprises me how many felt so profoundly affected by a change in the appearance of a message board.

Yes and yes! I'll admit it took me a bit getting used to but that was on this old dog.

Works / used fine by me.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    There are certain improvements and there are certain things I miss having. But it works, and that's good enough for me!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why not make the view without the ridiculous sidebar the default? Because it's clearly the better view, and it is not obvious to newcomers how you get rid of it.

I always forget to click on the grey bar that separates the two. But when I do, man what a difference.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Why not make the view without the ridiculous sidebar the default? Because it's clearly the better view, and it is not obvious to newcomers how you get rid of it.

I always forget to click on the grey bar that separates the two. But when I do, man what a difference.
    Far from a newcomer and holy hell I never once even recognized this!! Mind = blown. (It's the little things in life, ya know?!)
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    this incarnation of the new board is better than the white page of death. it drove a lot of people away, and i think the community kind of suffers a bit as a result, but in the end the forum is about the people who use it and the community that we find within it. it is what we make it, and we get out of it what we want to get out of it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

this incarnation of the new board is better than the white page of death. it drove a lot of people away, and i think the community kind of suffers a bit as a result, but in the end the forum is about the people who use it and the community that we find within it. it is what we make it, and we get out of it what we want to get out of it.

And then some.

I like the surprises, even if in hindsight.
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    I always hear about how there was a big change in the format of the forums but I'm too new to have seen the difference. What was so different about them?
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • Options
    i remember being annoyed, but I honestly can't remember what the old version even looked like
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    I like this version, but I also liked the old version too. There isn't actually anything I miss about the old one (I hardly ever used PMs or searched other user's posts etc) but I understand why sites need to be updated/revamped. The only grievance I have is that the shitstorm of negativity that surrounded the initial change drove some people away; it could have been handled better
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    My whole thing with the "change drove people away" is that if a new look on the forum is enough to make people stop using it, those people have bigger problems in life than how a message board looks could ever fix.
  • Options

My whole thing with the "change drove people away" is that if a new look on the forum is enough to make people stop using it, those people have bigger problems in life than how a message board looks could ever fix.

yeah, probably true
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    meh.

The embedded pix and video is the best part.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I still like the look of the old boards better, but it is all a question of getting used to it, I guess. I like that when you click a link now, it opens in another tab/page. I am thankful for the black background and the size of the font because the first version with the white and the tiny font was terrible. I like the implementation of pigger pic and video.
    I do not like that you cannot delete your post anymore. And that there is no little info list on whose birthday it is. And that the change drove so many away. But times, they are a-changing... And who wanted to stay in touch had possibilities to do so.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited October 2014

Lol. Yeah, well i don't want to insult anyone who freaked out enough to leave and stop posting, but I definitely found it to be a huge and puzzling overreaction!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I'm still running the greasemonkey script to view the forum. Not a big deal for me, but I do think it was better before.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I still hate it. But fuck it, what else am I going to do?
  • Options
    I dont like the new style. I saw no problems with the way the old forums were. I hardly ever visit this forum anymore, and the new style is the reason. Seems like this is a sentiment shared by many. The forum isn't as active in general, as it once was. And I think the change has alot to do with that.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722

I'm still running the greasemonkey script to view the forum. Not a big deal for me, but I do think it was better before.

Yesterday I was giving serious thought to updating the legacy script (the one that looks like the old boards with color coded thread icons). Is that something people would be interested in?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Mike D88 said:

Yesterday I was giving serious thought to updating the legacy script (the one that looks like the old boards with color coded thread icons). Is that something people would be interested in?
    Oh hi there! Thank you so much for sharing these scripts, and I am so glad they still work with the 10C forum updates! I'm using the classic 10C Fix for Users With Eyes. Love that it removes the side bar that takes up so much space. Your work is much appreciated.

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    More people stayed than left sounds like.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    There are things with the new forum that annoy me. That being said, there were things with the old forum that annoyed me. There are also things about both that I like, so I guess I'm at a draw. Given my preference though, I like the old forum better.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I dont like the new style. I saw no problems with the way the old forums were. I hardly ever visit this forum anymore, and the new style is the reason. Seems like this is a sentiment shared by many. The forum isn't as active in general, as it once was. And I think the change has alot to do with that.

if people really left because of the format change, thats truly a shame. I bet there are 10 members for every 1 that never visit the forums at all. I don't want to tell the TC how to conduct their affairs, but perhaps they could mention the forums in the monthly newsletter?