Options

The pros & cons of autumn

SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
Every season has it's pros & cons. For autumn:

pro: The turning of the leaves is beautiful.
con: Once the leaves have died, I have to rake them off the lawn.

pro: No more mosquitos or gnats.
con: It is getting colder.

What are your pros & cons of autumn?
ELITIST FUK

Comments

• Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    pro: pj fall tours
    con: for every fall, there's a winter ahead
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Pros: Football and Hockey season.
    Con: Winter is coming.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Pro: beautiful trees, often nice weather for walks, cool nice air.

Con: it's getting darker and darker...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    No cons! Truly none; I love this season through and through.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year" :D
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,431
    Pro: MLB Postseason
    Con: Gets late much earlier
    Con: October 15 tax deadline - huge amount of stress for a CPA
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Pros: HOCKEY!

Cons: NONE, I love the fall/winter in the northeast. Moved back to Cali in 09 and missed the fall/winter in the north east. Came back to the north east and bam, ice cold winter blues! Loved it.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Pros: not many. The opportunity to wear cozy sweaters??
    Cons: lots. Autumn here means brown leaves rather than blazing colours, and rain, rain, more rain and the prospect of 4 or 5 more months of rain before spring comes. Lots of mud. And did I say rain?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Pro: Halloween and Thanksgiving
    Con: The beginning of the Christmas consumer push.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited October 2014
    Pros: Baseball playoffs, hockey, horror movie marathons.

Cons: Everything else!! I'm just a summer guy. I couldn't care less if I never saw a red/orange/yellow leaf, a snowflake, or a temperature below 70 ever again. I don't need three shitty seasons to appreciate the ONE good season.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

Agree with this one!!!

Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    Pros: Halloween, Thanksgiving, leaves changing color, hockey, baseball playoffs, football
    Cons: cooler weather (I hate the cold)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,536
    edited October 2014
    All pros, no cons. I love the Fall! So glad summer is finally over! Now to start dreading next summer. :))
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    And, that smell of fireplaces, wood burning. And how the light has been changing; I'm sure it's a personal thing but I find it comforting and beautiful and nostalgic.

Granted, SoCal autumns/winters are typically mild but we DO get some bit of seasons changing.

Fuck you, summer!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Pro - Leaves are changing colours and they do it in the most amazing way here in Michigan, things are getting cozier, perfect weather for all kinds of soups and stews

Cons - way too short here, winter is coming too soon, and staying for too long haha, the sky has menopause, which leads to unpredictable weather in the beginning
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Pro - Leaves are changing colours and they do it in the most amazing way here in Michigan, things are getting cozier, perfect weather for all kinds of soups and stews

Cons - way too short here, winter is coming too soon, and staying for too long haha, the sky has menopause, which leads to unpredictable weather in the beginning

HALTS MAUL! The sky has menopause =)) =)) =))
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited October 2014
    I agree with

a lot but I've got a bunch more cons to add on. The leaves might look pretty for about 30 seconds but when they're on the ground and you have to walk through them (especially when it has rained recently) it's a nightmare for me and my pants that tend to reach the floor cuz I'm too short. Worst is on stairs or any kind of metal grate/manhole cover/etc cuz I live in fear of slipping and falling and busting up my leg/back.

If we get another winter like last year I dont know WHAT the fuck I'm gonna do. That's a HUGE concern that I'm trying not to think about.

Oh! Pumpkin Spice Lattes = pro.
    Pumpkin Spice everything else = con
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Another pro is that it is getting so cold that the neighbours don't let their dogs out in the evening so they cannot howl at the train for what feels like half an hour anymore :P

Ident - get some spikes for under your shoes! I am trying not to think about the coming winter either. I love snow and it is awesome that there is a good winter in Mi, but last year was the hardest winter I have ever experienced in my whole life. and the longest too. Michiganders told me it wasn't like that in more than a hundred years, so I am hoping it was just one year that stood out. I am looking forward to snowmobile rides!
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    A con for my area is that we've been suffering from an Indian Summer that just won't end...it's like a bad fever that just won't break!!!! And this is not at all normal...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    SD48277 said:

pro: No more mosquitos or gnats.

Forgot to mention, I got two mosquito bites today. Driving me nuts.

Leeze I think if I started walking around with spikes on my shoes the NYPD might make an appearance lol. Plus I dont think they will work with my fancy new orthotic thingies.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Dang! I hope you will survive fall and winter without breaking any limbs :)
  • Options

Leeze, I think that is one of the best descriptions I've heard in a long time: "the sky has menopause." =))
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Pros: I absolutely love love love that thickly-metallic smell of on coming snow!! I also love the chilly crisp winds, great for long brisk walks!! I love the leaves changing colors, but it's no where near as magnificent a process here in Colorado, as it was in Oklahoma or Arkansas. ( no where NEAR the variety of colors here). I love inventing new soups, and finding new books to read. I love how my pets get fuzzier, all the better for snuggling. Fires in the fire place, Christmas and Thanksgiving, and scarves. The crazy annoying sound of my footsteps across freshly fallen snow.
    The amazingly eerie silence after the snow falls. The glittery reflection of the snow in the sunlight.

Cons: icy roads, blizzards, unless I'm not having to work, then I love it! The day ends ands earlier. Cabin fever strikes right around Jan...having to dig out my car, but at least I'm not in Canada, hear it's tons worse there! And not having horses anymore.. For some reason I miss them
    During the Fall seasons worse than any other time.. Wonder why that is??
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Autumn....

Pro: I had a crush on a girl named Autumn back in Junior High School :x

Con: She barely knew I existed =(( ....sigh...
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    SD: you don't have to rake the leaves! http://www.scotts.com/smg/goART2/InfoHowTo/mulching-leaves/11800002///
    (that's a PRO!)

PRO: crunchy leaves to step on
    CON: it rains here so much, the leaves don't really have a chance to get crunchy

PRO: pumpkin pie/bread/muffins/cookies
    CON: pumpkin spice everything else-perfume, air spray, car freshener...I can sometimes 'taste' it when I walk through a store

PRO: the rainy season is starting...(I hope) Now when people visit, they will think it's a miserable place to live and never want to move here. {evil laugh}
    CON: needles EVERYWHERE! all over the yard, the driveway, the vehicles, the patio, the gutters, the roof, the dogs' paws (thanks to that magical "glue" called tree sap), the cat's fur, the doormat inside AND outside the house, the random needle on the couch that pokes your bum when you sit down...

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

PRO: the rainy season is starting...(I hope) Now when people visit, they will think it's a miserable place to live and never want to move here. {evil laugh}

This doesn't apply to me, does it? But, but....I was going to bring my hedgehog and everything.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    SD48277 said:

RKCNDY said:

This doesn't apply to me, does it? But, but....I was going to bring my hedgehog and everything.
    Of course not! I would love to see you again and meet your hedgehog!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless