*** ACL Festival Fanviews Here 10/12/14 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,922
Pearl Jam
Austin City Limits Festival
Austin, TX
Set List
Oct. 12, 2014

01. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
02. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
03. Corduroy
04. Mind Your Manners
05. Given To Fly
06. Lightning Bolt
07. Immortality
(“You are better off smoking something green than taking something that someone hands you without knowing what it is.  That happened to me once but at least we got a song out of it.”)
08. Severed Hand
09. Daughter/Mother-(Waters) 
10. Even Flow
11. Sirens
12. Do The Evolution
(Ed introduces Steve Gleason and talks about ALS.  Steve requested the next song for his wife.)
13. You Are
14. Unthought Known
15. Down
16. Jeremy
17. Yellow Moon
18. Black (during the instrumental break shakes hands with the ASL interpreter.)
(Ed talks about Aldo from Peru, who was in an industrial accident and lost his hearing.  He wasn’t able to attend shows but recently had surgery that helped restore some of his hearing.  He is in the audience tonight and some friends raise him up on their shoulders so Ed can see him.  Ed says they are going to play the next song extra loud for him)
19. Lukin
20. Porch (Mike destroys one of the globes with extreme prejudice.)

Encore Break

21. Better Man
22. Alive
23. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
(“This one is called ‘Love the Neighbors’, It is a lullaby.”  ACL has a curfew and Pearl Jam played long last weekend.  And this weekend.)

24. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    thanks Sea :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Steve Gleason request dedicated to his wife, "You Are"....Steve, you are a badass.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    mcrok said:

Steve Gleason request dedicated to his wife, "You Are"....Steve, you are a badass.

And knows how to pick a song too.

Great show tonight. So amazed how the band can crush a crowd that size. Fun to watch. A festival setlist but expected.
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    edited October 2014

mcrok said:

Great show tonight. So amazed how the band can crush a crowd that size. Fun to watch. A festival setlist but expected.
    I thought that was implied in my statement
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    mcrok said:

mcrok said:

I thought that was implied in my statement
    Yeah, and it was implied in your statement too.

Yes, and I was just saying he knows how to pick them too (a common phrase). He just doesn't pick Alive or Better Man but picks an awesome song like You Are.

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    Had a great night, ACL was a killer festival. My first show of the tour so I was pumped for this. It's moments like Steve Gleason and Aldo that just make you appreciate the live experience even more. Thank you PJ and Austin!
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    It's always fun to watch your band flat-out murder a festival crowd. I got to see that twice in a week.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I had a blast tonight! ACL is such a positive atmosphere! Thanks everyone who made this happen, and thanks to the band for another great show!

Thank you!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Mike destroys one of the globes with extreme prejudice

Would love to see footage of this \m/
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,933
    Someone on Facebook mentioned the band 'dialled in' their performance. Harsh comment for those there!? How was Ed's knee. Supposedly he's been struggling!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

Someone on Facebook mentioned the band 'dialled in' their performance. Harsh comment for those there!? How was Ed's knee. Supposedly he's been struggling!?

I don't think they have ever dialed in their performance. Was a great show. Ed's voice was cracking a little more than usual but that isn't unexpected. It may have been the festival setlist and playing some songs shorter to fit everything in. It is too big a crowd to get singalongs going for daughter and other songs.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Are you fn' kidding me??? marker in the sand the other night....severed hand last night...ya'll know my love for the avacodo lp.... whats my odd's to get to hear one of these 2 in Moline or st paul...... or,...maybe more i'll get luckily enough to hear "gone" which is my fav from the lp and haven't heard it live yet.... either way,...great setlist...love how well LBolt and given were killer the other night in the 1st encore and they can be just as stellar early in the set here...
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782
    Hobbes said:

Mike destroys one of the globes with extreme prejudice

Would love to see footage of this \m/

Even reading that gave me a little thrill.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

I don't think they have ever dialed in their performance. Was a great show. Ed's voice was cracking a little more than usual but that isn't unexpected. It may have been the festival setlist and playing some songs shorter to fit everything in. It is too big a crowd to get singalongs going for daughter and other songs.
    Dialled in and mailed in are opposites...dialled in is to kickin ass as mailed in is to goin thru the motions. It's not rocket surgery
    Vancouver 1998, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013 - Toronto 2000, 2003 - Gorge II 2006
    Seattle I 2009, 2013 - Calgary 2011 - Edmonton 2011
    EV solo VAN II 2008, Las Vegas I, II 2011
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Hope they come back to ACL in a few years. Always nice to see them there.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Yeah I still can't put it into words.... 9th show and perhaps my fav even though I was at Randall's islands back in the day.

Mike smashing the light was pretty funny. He looked fucking possessed and hit it like three times and it finally shattered.

If post a pic but I don't have a URL. We were about 5 people back from the rail and they completely blew my mind. They're just such pros nowadays.

Gotta say stone was a bit secondary though- I love me some stone but he almost didn't even join the band for the bow! He was stoned or something, seemed a bit aloof :)
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    LoveBoatCaptainDaveLoveBoatCaptainDave san antonio,tx Posts: 461
    awesome show and great setlist!! thanks guys!
    san antonio tx 2003
    austin tx 2009
    EV san antonio tx 2011
    dallas tx 2013
    austin tx 2014
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,845
    Great festival set and the perfect ending to an unforgettable week. Thanks for the memories Austin.

17th show and my first Instellar
    I've now heard my favorite song Black one time seven years in a row
    You Are a high school favorite of mine and my first in a while
    Severed Hand.....amazing as always
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    Anyone go to both ACL shows? How did the crowd compare to both?
  • Options

Dialed in didn't sound ri

Dialled in and mailed in are opposites...dialled in is to kickin ass as mailed in is to goin thru the motions. It's not rocket surgery
    Dialed in didn't sound right to me but went with the original poster. I assume you are joking with the rocket surgery comment (i.e. brain surgery vs. rocket science) but if not....
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    vedpunk said:

Anyone go to both ACL shows? How did the crowd compare to both?

I went both weeks. Might depend on where you are, but I reckon the crowd was better the second week for both PJ and the Replacements. PJ's set was better for a festival. A few in there which lost almost everybody like Down, You Are, Yellow Moon ... but they were interspersed with the likes of Jeremy, Black, etc. and it didn't lag like the middle section last week. I'd say the peak of both shows for crowd response was Jeremy. I think Yellow Moon was a poor choice to follow, but after it was done, it was a home run with the finishing songs.

Replacements killed it again. Started off with Alex Chilton and Left of the Dial (as opposed to leaving them until late), and never let up. Paul playing while laying in a hammock was hilarious. Shattered his guitar properly at the end. I really hope it wasn't their last show.

Pearl Jam 9/10
    Replacements 10/10
  • Options
    12inchdoc12inchdoc Posts: 36
    edited October 2014
    Went both weekends as well. Agree with Alfonz in regards to crowd. Seemed to be more idiots yesterday as saw 2 skirmishes break out during show, but security ended those quickly.

Was hoping that weekend 2 setlist would've been vastly different from weekend 1, but no complaints as energy level was amazing and who doesn't love hearing the "popular" songs.

On a side note, I thought the Replacements were much better yesterday, than last week. Whether it was flow of their set, crowd energy, their humor, they brought it!
    Post edited by 12inchdoc on
  • Options
    If anyone who was at the festival either weekend has video of the sign language interpreters for Pearl Jam, I'd be grateful for a link. Thanks!
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    I'm shocked at how different the two ACL performances were....from the set lists, to the audience reaction & participation, to even Eddie's banter and involvement. It even looks like there were twice as many people at ACL 2. I really wish I went to the 2nd show.....damn.
  • Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    This was my 15th show and another great one. Festival set list for sure, but the crowd was great and the band fed off of it.

Was a bit disappointed to see Release was scratched as opener, and also a little bummed that I didn't get any songs I haven't heard yet, but it was a really fun show. Yellow Moon was a strange choice for me and briefly settled a really energetic crowd, but Lukin > Porch punched everyone in the face and they forgot about it.

We were just a few feet from the rail directly in front of sign language folks. Ed was enamored by them and came to sit right by them to watch several times, eventually high fiving the woman doing Black during Mike's solo.

Being close on Stone's side, I must disagree with the post suggesting he was off. He looked to be in great spirits, rocking his couple of solos, duck walking and bouncing a bit. He was late to join the full band bow at the end because he was at the front of the stage waving at folks (and drinking a Stella).

Mike was badass as always. The globe assault during Porch was funny. It shattered on about the third guitar swing and pieces looked to fly right past Jeff's face.

Immortality in the 6 spot was nice, and Severed Hand was rockin. Great sing alongs to the hits and overall great crowd response.

Loved the show, honestly. But do wish the band would end the Binaural embargo for shows I attend and especially wish they'd stop playing Light Years the show before I see them EVERY TIME! I will get that song one day.

Final notes - the Peruvian guy bit was really cool, especially when they located him in the crowd. He was so appreciative. Baba was a brilliant choice. Crowd absolutely loved it and sang loud. Ledbetter dedication to the neighbors was funny and during Ledbetter Ed called for another tambourine and tossed it to a wounded vet in a wheelchair up front. Great moment.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Always a bummer when ACL is over.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,458
    " Yellow Moon was a strange choice for me and briefly settled a really energetic crowd, but Lukin > Porch punched everyone in the face and they forgot about it."

I can see what you mean but Yellow Moon is a badass slow to midtempo song and people should be glad to hear it but they probably don't know it so they don't respond appropriately.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited October 2014
    Forgot to mention earlier somehow but how am I the first to mention how they fucked up DTE?!?! Classic, Ed screwed up the verse- sang the second verse twice- then Jeff and Mike laughed together and when it got in the hallelujah part it was all jacked up. Lol, can't wait to hear the boot because it was a hilarious moment when the rest of the band was like wtf?!?

Edit-

Remembered how just after Ed ran to his bottle of wine, shrugged, and pounded a huge slug off of the bottle. You could tell he was like oh shit but fuck it!
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    Yes, they did royally screw up evolution! I was bumming to see release was crossed off the setlist. Fantastic show though.
  • Options
    darthdarth Houston, TX Posts: 139
    Great show as always and we did notice Ed's voice not as strong but still sounded good. He seemed a bit tired honest but he still gives his all! "Down" was an awesome surprise to hear as this was my 9th show. Also 9 shows and 9 different opening songs...impressive.

Also I respect a group like The Replacements but they did have some dick fans. My wife and I were sitting and picked out spot for Pearl Jam along with several other PJ fans and all they did was complain about being in their way and how without their band we wouldn't have PJ blah blah. We and most the PJ fans in the area just ignored them and let the old punk hippies dance to their 3-chord band but ah well not everyone can have fans as great as our.

Overall most the ACL crowd was respectfull and very cool as Austin is a great city. My wife is pregnant and I asked a few people smoking cigs or weed to please blow it away from her and such and almost all of them had no problem doing that. Austin is a second home to me since I ahve family there and a great place for shows but I do hope they return to Houston one day!

Would have been great to hear "Release" but I'll take this band anyway I can get them and "Porch" was an awesome version as Mike breaking the ball was classic and the look on his face priceless. Great day at ACL and cant wait to see them gain as always!
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14