*** St Louis Fanviews Here 10/3/14 ***

Comments

• narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Sarava said:

narnia said:

Check out Ed and Mike @ 4:12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRLZthnoDls

Oh cool, that is my video!

What a great time the show was. I can't imagine Moline living up to this show. But maybe it will since I have GA for Moline. The crowds up high are kind of subdued. It looks like all you guys down low had more fun :)

Thank you Pearl Jam!
    Thanks for sharing the video!
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • ItsJenItsJen Missouri Posts: 1
    Andi Kyle is my sister. We were at the show with her two daughters. Andi has terminal cancer, and we weren't sure she'd be able to go to the show since she'd been hospitalized for nearly three weeks. All the stars lined up: Andi was discharged from the hospital and we were able to bring her to the show (with the support of her medical team), and getting that dedication was so unexpected and heartwarming. It meant so much to Andi, me, and her girls. xoxoxo
  • CooterCooter Posts: 153
    mcgruff10 said:

Anybody know the attendance for the show. The only seats left were uppers behind the stage.

Yeah. Attendance was 17,500 from a roadie talking to some friends of his he hooked up in 117 row E (right in front of our 10C seats but whatever I'm not complaining). Apparently they only sold 11,000 in 2010. So that's impressive.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Cooter said:

mcgruff10 said:

Anybody know the attendance for the show. The only seats left were uppers behind the stage.

Yeah. Attendance was 17,500 from a roadie talking to some friends of his he hooked up in 117 row E (right in front of our 10C seats but whatever I'm not complaining). Apparently they only sold 11,000 in 2010. So that's impressive.
    Wow that's awesome!!!!!

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JasonTeckJasonTeck St. Louis, MO Posts: 179
    edited October 2014
    This is Jason from St. Louis & I would like to say I had a great time meeting all the peeps in the Merch line while we were waiting for the trailer to open! There was the dude from Latrobe, PA (sorry AB stole your beer company), the couple from Cincy area (Young Tim Curry), the girl with the Bullseye hoodie also from the Cincinnati area and the dude with the Lightning Bolt work jacket who seemed to know EVERYONE! I am really bad with names but if you see yourself in this photo of you all "cuddling to stay warm" please say hello!

Anyway, to the show... such a great setlist! I always feel that St. Louis gets high energy shows! Corduroy (which was performed for the first time at the Fox Theater in St. Louis 20 years earlier), Lukin, Imagine, Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns & the Mamasan Trilogy; such a great night of music! Plus Ed mentioned my friend and her mother while talking about the many stories/letters they receive. Her name was Lars (even though he said "some dude" & her mom's nickname was Mooma). So cool to know that he took the time to care about her situation and every else that he mentioned. That is why I LOVE this band and why they are one of the BEST bands in the world!!!
    Post edited by JasonTeck on
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • SD18336SD18336 NYC Posts: 4
    YLed2 said:

SD18336 said:

JimmyV said:

I was impressed by the lady at her hundredth show and who was sitting behind the stage. We hear so much complaining about seat location, yet here was someone who after 99 previous shows was still happy to just be in the building. Thought that was very cool.

If you are here, say hello. We toasted you in the rafters.

@Jimmy V -- thanks for the nice post. Indeed, I'm content as long as I am in the show. I always try for great seats, but in the end, all that matters is being inside once the lights go down and you see their silhouettes take the stage.

I'm still in a daze from the other night and prob will be for a while.

Ps - I lived in Bos for 8.5 years and still consider it my adopted hometown.

Much love to all the Boston PJ fans.

Sarah Jane
    Sarah Jane,

You deserve an applause. Congrats on your 100th show and what I'm sure was a memorable moment at the show. I'm sure it's been quite a journey!

=D>
    Yled2,

Thanks :). Truthfully, words seem too inadequate in describing the feeling.

Much love <3
  • CM234968CM234968 St. Louis Posts: 166
    I have to say that PJ did our town right and played their asses off on Friday night. I couldn't believe how tight the band was. When you pair that set list with their performance, it's difficult to say that it isn't your favorite show of all time if you were fortune enough to be there. It was only my 11th show but first in the pit so that may have something to do with it too. I was excited to have plans for two shows on this tour...after Friday, I know that won't be nearly enough to satisfy but I'll be more than grateful for what I can get.

For all of the visitors to STL, thank you for joining us and we hope to see you next time. Hopefully you enjoyed the city as much as we did having you here. We often get a bad rap thanks to network news but I know we have a lot of good things going on here. I hate to hear that the one dude got yanked for grass, but that's likely a risk at any show. It sounds as though the manner in which the removal occurred was excessive and that is certainly unfortunate.

Hope to see some of you in Moline.
    1998 - St. Louis; 2000 - St. Louis; 2003 - St. Louis, Champaign; 2004 - St. Louis (VFC); 2009 - Seattle 1 & 2; 2010 - Kansas City, St. Louis; 2013 - Wrigley; 2014 - St. Louis, Moline; 2016 - Wrigley
    HI SARAH JANE!!!
    Your moment in the spotlight was a highlight for me! It was so sweet to see you genuinely moved by the recognition of the band. I almost had tears in my eyes for you and I don't even know you lol! Congrats and here's to many more =D>

Sarah,

Wow. Really?!? Thank you so much!! It was all I could do to not start sobbing. I hope I didn't embarrass myself too much, lol. The emotion was so overwhelming for me because the role PJ's played in my life, like many of ours, has been fundamental, and incredibly significant.

Keep RITFW ;)

• My first US PJ show. Great fun at pre-party meeting friends for first time. Too cold & wet to brave merch line, but easy getting 10C tickets, Stone's side, section 103.
    Understood delay for ball game, & at 8.30 Pendulum was an awesome opener, beautiful Low Light, & singalong Small Town before a hyper Go : boom!! After 2 outdoor concerts the previous times, this was my first arena gig since '06, & the sound doesn't dissipate, it reverberates, a gorgeous feeling. Classic DTE, fast MYM into an improved My Father's Son set the tone, before the baseball score improv brings local cheers and Corduroy & Lightning Bolt are belted out and I need to slowdown lest I knock over my friend with my manic air guitaring.
    A man next to me, with his wife & 9 year old son, went for merch during Pilate, & returned but said not much left, so considered going myself, but couldn't miss a minute. Glad I didn't as Even Flow was special, with Mike's slow blues-like intro to his solo tantalising before he shredded again & again. Swallowed Whole completed the new album numbers, much to the later chagrin of the 9 year old who kept pleading for Sirens!
    Then the awesome 6 in a row - all my favourites, as we sang our hearts out - rocking Why Go, headbanging Not for You, Daughter/WMA (for Ferguson), Jeff-owned Jeremy, rip roaring Lukin, topped off by Rearviewmirror - no matter how many times I hear or see RVM it continues to amaze, the jam, the force of the lyrics, the light show. Perfect end to set, & time for a seat!
    Next was a surprise, yet given the recent local & world events probably not much of one. A lovely Imagine, which most of the crowd sang before a beautiful Just Breathe : Ed's golden voice! One for the collectors Ed said with Thin Air into another glorious note for note (for me too) Footsteps before the quieter set ended with Ed encouraging us to give a hand to 'the poor fuckers at the back' as they played Last Kiss to those behind the stage. For an alleged not so popular tune, the crowd sure got into it, but as my friend said, Ed makes it a fun song. A lady at her 100th show scored Ed's wine bottle (he hardly drank at all) before a few announcements led into 'not a sad song' a thumping Once, another favourite Down, before another highlight : Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns during which the band gelled tightly & Mike's solo shined. Then they topped themselves as Porch ended Encore 1 : it's where I needed 6 sets of eyes, so much happening with each musician, Mike & Matt together, Ed is everywhere (including being held up by the audience singing the last part), Stone in his own little world before Jeff joins him, Matt thumping, just wild yet tight music!! Sounded terrific.
    Another sit down before Given to Fly had us singing again, short Setting Forth before Better Man had us helping Ed out as normal, with Ed doing his Pete Townshend windmill-like impressions a few times. I knew the end was near as Stone was handed old faithful for Alive - a 'fist punching the air' rollicking version as the lights came on. Baba O'Riley had us doing the same as Ed did the tambourine give away & Roger Daltrey impression - swinging the microphone & it's lead wildly.
    So at 11.25, Ed said his goodbyes & we were done. How they keep up the energy continues to enthral - we were spent! Ed's stories were funny and the whole band were laughing & smiling all night - even Stone. As we had the jumbo black & white screen our side I often watched the great close up shots, and Stone can still pull a face! Another thing I noticed for just the second time, & better than 9 months ago in Sydney, was the light show which had me taking more phone pics then normal. Fantastic crowd topped off another great PJ experience.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    SD18336 said:

JimmyV said:

I was impressed by the lady at her hundredth show and who was sitting behind the stage. We hear so much complaining about seat location, yet here was someone who after 99 previous shows was still happy to just be in the building. Thought that was very cool.

If you are here, say hello. We toasted you in the rafters.

@Jimmy V -- thanks for the nice post. Indeed, I'm content as long as I am in the show. I always try for great seats, but in the end, all that matters is being inside once the lights go down and you see their silhouettes take the stage.

I'm still in a daze from the other night and prob will be for a while.

Ps - I lived in Bos for 8.5 years and still consider it my adopted hometown.

Much love to all the Boston PJ fans.

Sarah Jane
    Hi Sarah Jane!

I am the same way - always try to get the best seats but ultimately just happy to be in the building. We were way up in section 319 but the view was still great and the music even better!

Congrats to you on your milestone show, on your wine bottle, and on bring recognized by Ed. 100 shows is amazing.

Hoping next year you can return to your adopted hometown and add a pair of Boston shows to that total. :-)

Jim

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    JimmyV said:

Wow. Just...wow. This day started at 4:45am, featured a frantic trip to the airport, a 2 1/2 hour flight to Chicago, a canceled connection to St Louis, a rental car, a 300 mile trek across southern Illinois...all to get to this show. And it was worth every second.

The main set had that great energy that we know and love. They sounded great and the crowd was hot.

The second encore though...HOLY SHIT. Imagine was mind blowing. Beautiful to hear and hard to believe it was actually happening. I got chills and I was not alone.

The highlight though for me was Footsteps. Finally after all these years I heard the song I most wanted to. It was incredible. Incredible.

I say this a lot but not often enough... Thank you. Thank you Eddie. Thank you Mike. Thank you Pearl Jam. You guys are the best.

JimmyV, we went through the same thing, made for a little bit of a hurried day, but the show totally made up for any travel woes! The band's energy and the audience were on point in St. Louis. The only thing that got in the way of the show was the Cardinal's/Dodgers game which got the show started a little late!
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
    RhinoJam said:

JimmyV said:

Wow. Just...wow. This day started at 4:45am, featured a frantic trip to the airport, a 2 1/2 hour flight to Chicago, a canceled connection to St Louis, a rental car, a 300 mile trek across southern Illinois...all to get to this show. And it was worth every second.

The main set had that great energy that we know and love. They sounded great and the crowd was hot.

The second encore though...HOLY SHIT. Imagine was mind blowing. Beautiful to hear and hard to believe it was actually happening. I got chills and I was not alone.

The highlight though for me was Footsteps. Finally after all these years I heard the song I most wanted to. It was incredible. Incredible.

I say this a lot but not often enough... Thank you. Thank you Eddie. Thank you Mike. Thank you Pearl Jam. You guys are the best.

JimmyV, we went through the same thing, made for a little bit of a hurried day, but the show totally made up for any travel woes! The band's energy and the audience were on point in St. Louis. The only thing that got in the way of the show was the Cardinal's/Dodgers game which got the show started a little late!
    Haha...I loved the energy in the room during that game and am happy for all the awesome people we met who saw their team win, but I'd lying if I said I wasn't quietly rooting for that rally and inning to end. ;-)

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Amazing show, great crowd energy. I didn't expect that kind of performance in such a shithole of a city, made me appreciate chicago that much more.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031

Amazing show, great crowd energy. I didn't expect that kind of performance in such a shithole of a city, made me appreciate chicago that much more.

Thanks for visiting our "shithole" of a city. Nice of you to show respect.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    am i the only out of towner that actually enjoyed st louis and the people?
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • CM234968CM234968 St. Louis Posts: 166

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself Chicago.

1998 - St. Louis; 2000 - St. Louis; 2003 - St. Louis, Champaign; 2004 - St. Louis (VFC); 2009 - Seattle 1 & 2; 2010 - Kansas City, St. Louis; 2013 - Wrigley; 2014 - St. Louis, Moline; 2016 - Wrigley
    nycrats said:

Nope. We really enjoyed it, too. Would happily go back.

• Does anyone have photos or videos from when Eddie came out into the crowd???? I would be forever grateful :)

*edit* JimmyV - I agree, that was really awesome to see!

Shoot me your email and I'll get it to you. I was right next to it and got a good minute of it
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

Seriously? Are you trolling for trouble man?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • SarahMcNadiaSarahMcNadia Ontario / Québec Posts: 195
    nycrats said:

I LOVED it and want to go back!!
    An empty cup in the middle of the sea..
    Buffalo 12-Oct-2013 * Cincinnati 01-Oct-2014 * St. Louis 03-Oct-2014
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031

nycrats said:

It's a great city! Please come back and see it again. (Hopefully for a PJ related event sooner than later!)
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993

nycrats said:

I am from Chicago and had an awesome time down there. The people were nice, the atmosphere for the Cardinals playoffs was awesome, the arch was great to see up close finally. I definitely have nothing but great things to say about St. louis and the trip we just had. I'll definitely be back.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    Oh and how cool was it when everyone was going nuts during that 8 run inning the Cardinals had before PJ took the stage? I'm a White Sox fan, but couldn't help but cheer on that rally. I hope they go on to win the World Series.

nycrats said:

It's a great city! Please come back and see it again. (Hopefully for a PJ related event sooner than later!)
    Yes!! Wouldn't mind catching a ballgame or doing some more power play arm dances at a Blues game lol
    Sarava said:

Oh and how cool was it when everyone was going nuts during that 8 run inning the Cardinals had before PJ took the stage? I'm a White Sox fan, but couldn't help but cheer on that rally. I hope they go on to win the World Series.

I thought that was great too!
  • They dedicated a song to my friend Seth who passed away earlier this year after falling 250 feet from a cellphone tower he was working on. Seth's favorite band as the same as all of us and his brothers is pearl jam. His memorial was filled with pearl jam songs and eddies into the wild. His brother tony sent them a letter to say thankyou for their music as it helped shape Seth into the great guy he was. His birthday was the same day as the concert and we had about 30 people with us that celebrated the day remembering Seth full of amazing people and friends and the best show I've seen yet from them (this is my 7th show, 1st in the pit). For them to dedicate setting forth for Seth is the most amazing gesture that I could have ever hope to see. It was very emotional and a moment that his family nor I will ever forget. Thankyou to the great fans that I got to meet and thankyou Pearl Jam for the best night I've ever had! I can't say enough how it meant to is all! Truly the greatest band ever and I the most amazing fans as well! You all deserve a round of applause for the way everyone showed up in St. Louis!
  • SloopJohnBSloopJohnB Illinois Posts: 33
    I have so many stories from this show, I don't even know where to begin. It was my first time seeing Pearl Jam from the GA, and I wanted to be on the rail. I showed up early, and I got it. Directly in front of Mike. I made friends in line, and saw a friend for the first time who flew in from Seattle. We met over the Twitterverse and had the time of our lives.

I made a sign that said "BALLS IN YOUR MOUTH" because that's my sense of humor. Mike was so confused. hahahahaa Finally, Eddie saw it during "Daughter" and pointed to it and said, "That's funny!" Everyone immediately to my right flipped out. We had such a blast. I don't think my husband and I have ever danced our asses off at any other concert quite like this one. We HAD to, we were Mike's cheer leading squad!! It was my husband's 40th birthday and he wore the Sub Pop "Loser" shirt I got him, and Eddie pointed him out and motioned to his own shirt as if to say he liked the shirt, which of course he had back in the 90s. He was so stoked.

But one of the coolest things ever was this moment with one of the kids I'd been standing in line with all day, Aaron. Right before the show we found out Aaron had been bedridden for two years from lyme disease; he had only recently begun walking again. He told us how Pearl Jam had helped him through this awful time. Well, who should Eddie happen to give his microphone to but Aaron during "Alive." I have chills thinking about it. Aaron didn't have a sign mentioning his situation, but he had a cast on his hand because his lyme disease gave him tendinitis. Maybe Eddie saw the cast and singled him out? We'll never know for sure, but watching Eddie coax Aaron into singing that verse of "Alive" is something I'll never ever forget. I saw someone got a video of it on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qNGe313T4 That's my husband and I freaking out to the right of Aaron after Eddie walks away. During "Baba," Eddie came back and pointed to him and tossed him a tambourine. I mean, it doesn't get much more magical than that.

Hey Aaron, if you're out there, here's the picture I took of you when the lights went up after the show ended! So happy for you, bud! image
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Sarava said:

Yeah, it was incredible, and I'm a Sox fan too. Very cool that they put it on the big screens. Nobody had done anything like that against Kershaw. When it was 6-1, I figured it was over, no chance. A Cards fan in front of me commented that he was glad he was at the show instead of staying home to watch them lose, I wonder if he still thinks that, heh. I just love playoff baseball, anything can happen. As an added bonus, the Royals game went to extras so I was able to catch the end of that at Maggie's after the show. I'm pulling for them too.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

I have so many stories from this show, I don't even know where to begin. It was my first time seeing Pearl Jam from the GA, and I wanted to be on the rail. I showed up early, and I got it. Directly in front of Mike. I made friends in line, and saw a friend for the first time who flew in from Seattle. We met over the Twitterverse and had the time of our lives.

I made a sign that said "BALLS IN YOUR MOUTH" because that's my sense of humor. Mike was so confused. hahahahaa Finally, Eddie saw it during "Daughter" and pointed to it and said, "That's funny!" Everyone immediately to my right flipped out. We had such a blast. I don't think my husband and I have ever danced our asses off at any other concert quite like this one. We HAD to, we were Mike's cheer leading squad!! It was my husband's 40th birthday and he wore the Sub Pop "Loser" shirt I got him, and Eddie pointed him out and motioned to his own shirt as if to say he liked the shirt, which of course he had back in the 90s. He was so stoked.

But one of the coolest things ever was this moment with one of the kids I'd been standing in line with all day, Aaron. Right before the show we found out Aaron had been bedridden for two years from lyme disease; he had only recently begun walking again. He told us how Pearl Jam had helped him through this awful time. Well, who should Eddie happen to give his microphone to but Aaron during "Alive." I have chills thinking about it. Aaron didn't have a sign mentioning his situation, but he had a cast on his hand because his lyme disease gave him tendinitis. Maybe Eddie saw the cast and singled him out? We'll never know for sure, but watching Eddie coax Aaron into singing that verse of "Alive" is something I'll never ever forget. I saw someone got a video of it on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qNGe313T4 That's my husband and I freaking out to the right of Aaron after Eddie walks away. During "Baba," Eddie came back and pointed to him and tossed him a tambourine. I mean, it doesn't get much more magical than that.

Hey Aaron, if you're out there, here's the picture I took of you when the lights went up after the show ended! So happy for you, bud! image

awesome....I saw the kid on the screens but didn't know the details. Great stuff

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville