Options

*** Chicago I Fanviews 5/16 Here ***

124»

Comments

• Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    swanny66 wrote:
    I haven't seen em since 91. I really liked the show. The set list was there to appeal to both the hardcore and casual/hits fan. Blood and Save You were my favorites. That being said, I thought the crowd was rather calm. Mostly standing and not really getting into the faster songs. Just my opinion. I would hate to say that a U2 crowd is more enthused.....but I am. And I was in a fanclub section. But with all the texting, camera photos, etc., I'm suprised anyone noticed PJ was on stage. Please folks....leave em at home for once! But PJ kicked ass.....crowd was lame.

And, the singing along gets a bit old to me. Trust me....the people around me couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

dude - I totally agree with you about the texting and the singing. Please people - it's fun to sing a long when required but not all the time! There was a guy next to me trying to out HEY Ed on Hide your love away. What's the point?
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    Being from the west coast, it's always been a dream of mine to see the Fellas in Chicago, in Ed's hometown. I took a half day off from work and flew in, with about an hour and a half before showtime. After taking the subway into downtown, I quickly chugged a bottle of cheap red wine before meeting up with my friend for the cab ride over. This was also my first experience with the 10c. I've been a member since 99, but I've always just not had my shit together come tour time. In 2000, I cant really remember why I didnt get tix, but in 03 I sent in checks to the Club for all the shows I wanted to see, not seeing the "money order only" part of that big email the 10c sent out beforehand. So after realizing I wasnt getting any tickets ( no one from the 10c told me) I had to scramble and buy tickets through craigslist. Needless to say it was great to finally use my membership for its intended purpose, and boy did I get hooked up with seats. 112, row 1, seat 15,16. Just off the floor about 30 feet from the stage on Mike's side.

For the show: Incredible energy from the band and audience. They played their hearts out and the fans were nuts. The setlist was very standard, yet Im not complaining because I got my Lowlight, which was THE song for me. I love this song so much--I couldnt believe that the boys came through for me.

Someone in their fanview near the top mentioned that they though Mike was off during Even Flow; I noticed this too. In fact, even though Mike was playing with lots of energy, I definitely think he's played better. His solo during corduroy was under par and maybe he was trying to just shake things up during even flow, try out new licks and phrases, because his solos during the instrumental part were unusual and not his usual wild, virtuoso self. I was actually intrigued and excited that he was trying to step outside of the formula, but maybe what I was hearing was him just being "off." Dunno, I'll have to listen to the download to see what actually was going on.

Pearl Jam kicks ass. My neck hurts from headbanging.

Can I get a "Rival" in LA pleeeeease?
    Matt and I are friends.
  • Options
    emignacioemignacio Posts: 12
    hi all ~

I just wanted to write re: my thoughts on the show...I'd been going to pearl jam shows since "ten" (I'm really old!), so I've been lucky enough to see 'em in Chitown (my home town) in various venues - including the Regal Theater and the old Chicago Stadium (one Jeff's birthday) :o)

Anyway, like all of you, each show "speaks" to me in different ways. It's true that for this show, they played tons of "staples", but (maybe it's me), it's always different for me depending on the position of the song in the setlist - and also what happens *during* the song

This show was no different....They'd opened with "Release" back on June 18th, 2003, but because I absolutely love that song and because it's helping me get through a really tough year, it was such a relief to hear it ...

Hearing and seeing the first four songs of the new album after "Release" was also absolutely incredible, cuz there's so much energy there! Though it was slightly different, it sort of reminded me of the beginning of the Vancouver show last September, when they launched into "Go", "Animal", and "Save You" right after "Release" in that we'd gotten kind of comfortable and then - BAM! - they totally hit you with amazing amounts of energy!

Then, hearing "Given to Fly, "I'm Open", and "Present Tense" all within the first set of songs sort of helped solidfy my strength ('cuz Pearl Jam just does that for me).

Hearing "w.m.a." after "Daughter" also was amazing for me because I, literally, wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now had it not been for "w.m.a". (I'm a prof and work with a youth organization in Chicago :o) ) Being from Chicago, that song really opened my eyes RE: my world around me, and when I'd heard that song - then bought the stickers and the shirt which highlight that song - it made me want to find out more...And, 10 years later, I ended up working with legal, police, and youth organizations with my students in hopes to try to make a change (at least) in the West Side of Chicago.

On a completely non-personal or non-related note - hearing a part of "Atomic Dog" in the middle of "Blood" was fun cuz I loves George Clinton! LOL

But, other stuff which sort of "spoke" to me -- the first encore, though seemingly diverse, was especially moving for a couple reasons: (1) the segment in which Ed mentioned technically being in Seattle, but always "a kid from Chicago". This, I can completely and utterly relate to because in the past 10 months, I've moved from Chicago to WA (1/2 hour away from Seattle) because of work. But, Chicago is in my blood...and, I'd really been missing it a lot. So, it's good to know that this feeling is "normal" - and it was really quite eerie in a weird way to hear him articulate *exactly* how I'd been feeling about my move; and (2) I needed to hear all the songs in the list, in that order, and with every detail - especially the "we belong together" at the end of "Black." This, too, was eerie for me as, like I said, I needed to hear the sentiments/feelings/emotions conveyed in each of these songs, in this exact order, and with all the spontaneous additions at the end....way eerie - but so needed.

RE: all the singing -- we did get loud. I was in the front row, center (like I said, I'm really old!), so I got to hear everyone around me and behind me singing. It seemed that, at least with "Betterman", it was sort of expected (?) I don't know if you all remember this as I did, but Ed started "Betterman" but physically moved away from the microphone and signalled to us that we had to start it. He'd done the same thing at the middle and definitely end of "Black"....So, it's no surprising how loud we'd gotten; we were kind of spurred to sing :o)

The texting was kind of funny, but it looked like people were trying to feed the setlist to other members on this board so they could post it here lol Ah, the power of technology. RE: the picture taking - yeah, I brought my camera, and took pics while simultaneously pogo-ing and headbanging. Not surprisingly, about 1/2 didn't come out lol But, gosh...I took tons of pics cuz it was a dream to be where I was. I honestly felt bad after a few songs, though, so I tried to put the camera away. But, then the harmonica came out.. then the tambourines, and I'd whipped it out again to snap a few pics. :o( Sorry if it bothered some of you; I'll *try* not to do that at the Gorge!

Anyway, other cool/odd things --- as stated in another thread somewhere --

* Jeff and Mike (I think) launching into "War Pigs" in the middle of "Alive"...

*Ed collapsing at the end of Alive...

* Mike having a "Spinal Tap" moment (his guitar wasn't plugged in so he couldn't turn it up to 11 so to speak...one of the techs fixed it - unbeknownst to Mike - and then he had a Butch Vig moment and we all heard crazy chords and feedback :o))

* the little girl - and Rob (the fan Ed talked to about being at every Chicago show since they were called "Mookie Blaylock") - getting the tambourines during "Baba O'Riley"...

* the changed words to "w.m.a" ("president" in place of "policeman") - especially as it was sung after "Unemployable"

and, tons and tons of other stuff.....

Anyway, yeah, this is a long and incoherent thread, but I just wanted to write and say that, yeah, it may have been packed with "greatest hits", but regardless, it always seems really fresh to me :o)

Also - thanks so much all at the Ten Club for the tix! I'd brought my best friend, Alice, with me, and both of us are ever-grateful. (Plus, Alice got an Ament guitar pic -- Thank you! :o) )

And, thank you, of course, to Pearl Jam for everything.....

take good care &m if you got down here, thanks for reading this blather!
    Em
    make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today
  • Options
    bookofbiffbookofbiff Posts: 4
    emignacio wrote:
    * Mike having a "Spinal Tap" moment (his guitar wasn't plugged in so he couldn't turn it up to 11 so to speak...one of the techs fixed it - unbeknownst to Mike - and then he had a Butch Vig moment and we all heard crazy chords and feedback :o))

Yeah it was funny. I happened to look over at him when it happened. He was strumming along to the song and the tech came out and changed a cord and suddenly sound burst out of the amps startling Mike. He stood there for a second and kind of laughed at himself. He walked off behind the amps with a big embarassed grin on his face. When he came back out he sat down to watch the rest of the song as if to say "Well you played this much of the song without me... let's see how the rest goes."

You can see some of the pictures I took here:

http://www.thebookofbiff.com/2006/05/16/pearl-jam-photos-from-the-chicago-united-center-show/
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    bookofbiff wrote:
    Yeah it was funny. I happened to look over at him when it happened. He was strumming along to the song and the tech came out and changed a cord and suddenly sound burst out of the amps startling Mike. He stood there for a second and kind of laughed at himself. He walked off behind the amps with a big embarassed grin on his face. When he came back out he sat down to watch the rest of the song as if to say "Well you played this much of the song without me... let's see how the rest goes."

You can see some of the pictures I took here:

http://www.thebookofbiff.com/2006/05/16/pearl-jam-photos-from-the-chicago-united-center-show/
    check your pms....

i have a couple picture taking questions for you....

great pics .........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    bookofbiff wrote:

those pics are awesome.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • Options
    clk019clk019 Posts: 84
    Waiting for my ride to Grand Rapids and want to give the two Chicago shows their due. Went both nights and they were my first as a fan club member…thanks by the way.

First night

Never sat (stood) on the floor before and I realize there are a lot of tall people. Energy was great but I found it hard to maintain throughout the day because we went with a large group that was split up into pairs, which was fine as soon as new friends were made in the seats around me.

My Morning Jacket had some decent jams but I’m left feeling like the band doesn’t translate well into a big venue. I caught some of their live stuff off the web and it sounded good but it was from a neighborhood street fest in Chicago. I think their sound is too fine and minute and the subtleness of it can get lost.

As soon as the intro music came on I was ready. It was then that I realized just how much you get from seeing the stage clearly. I had been to three Alpine shows and 03 was the first in reserved seats and I thought I had never before seen a show until that time.

Being in the back of the floor was nice because for the first time I have seen there was an extensive light show. Regardless of opinions (cause I love the lasers), I’m all for it. It creates a much different atmosphere and being dead center towards the back you get the full perspective. Also, the sound is doubly intense.

Having seen various setlists I knew what to expect and welcomed it with open arms. It’s new for the shows I’ve been to (sig) for there to be chunks of albums played back-to-back. But now looking I take that back. There have been a couple with vs tunes played in triplets. I like it…and it moves well from one song to the next.

After the trio of new ones which are great live, Low Light was pretty sweet, and with my girlfriend next to me it was extra special. From there, I almost wish the crowd knew the spoken word part to I’m Open. That would have been a special thing. The noodling segued into ID/Shit pretty well. That is a song that I only just got around to listening to a lot. It was nice to hear it played. My first three shows I knew Pearl Jam’s music but heading into these shows I felt I knew and respected the entire catalog of music much better.

Mike’s even flow solo seemed out of whack at the beginning at the show but upon listening to the boot it’s excellent but would be topped by the following night…more on that later. At the show the guitar was way over the top of the mix and it sounded like he wasn't in time, which made it way interesting...a jazz improv type sound.

I have no qualms at all about the first night. I read a lot of posts and whatever. I think if I hadn’t spent the past however many months/years listening to album after album and bootlet after bootleg my experience would have been sharper – I need to learn to fast/everything in moderation – but then I wouldn’t have made it through many days with a smile on face while waiting in an everly increasing traffic mess in this city.

Also, I felt I was trying to pace myself – dumb move – and save myself for three other shows. That’s what Thursday was for though – to rest right? My girlfriend, all 5’3” of her had a good time and enjoyed watching the crowd as much as anything. This was her third show and she liked second best, just behind Alpine a couple years because, well it’s Alpine and you are outside.

I, I never wanted
    To write these words down for you
    With the pages of phrases
    Of things we'll never do

7/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/9/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06 – (WOW), 5/19/06 – (DOUBLE WOW), 5/20/06, 8/5/07, 6/17/08, 5/7/10, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 10/20/14 – (THE MOST MAGICAL THING EVER).

• Options
    clk019clk019 Posts: 84
    And to the cute girl standing next to me on the floor, you are cute and all but I don't enjoy trying to elbow you aside for standing room.....

I, I never wanted
    To write these words down for you
    With the pages of phrases
    Of things we'll never do

7/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/9/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06 – (WOW), 5/19/06 – (DOUBLE WOW), 5/20/06, 8/5/07, 6/17/08, 5/7/10, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 10/20/14 – (THE MOST MAGICAL THING EVER).

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    ~
    What’s a Fanview?

A Fanview is an exclusive Message Pit thread for fans that attend a concert and want to share their experience with fans that could not.

Does a Fanview need to be certain length?

No, your Fanview can be one word “AWESOME,” a few lines or a short story.

What if I’m not a great speller or the best at grammar?

Don’t worry about this, do the best you can. The Grammar Police take a holiday for these types of threads. Trust me, I speak from experience.

I have a couple incredibly interesting comments on the show -- but I wasn’t there -- should I go ahead and post them here anyway?

No, this thread is reserved for the lucky fans that attend the concert.

I need to ask a question about the concert -- but I wasn’t there. Should I ask it here?

No, I’m trying for pure Fanviews from the fans who attend the concert.

Are you a Ten Club member? Consider posting your member number and seat location with your Fanview.

A Fanview can include but is not limited to such things as your description of Pearl Jams set, the opening bands set, what it took or how you got to the show, how was the pre-party, what did you do after the show, how did you feel?

Welcome “thefireiscooking” (my little sister) and everyone else new to the Message Pit. It’s always nice to see new “user names” and first time posts.

A special Thank YOU to everyone who has posted a Fanview so far, they have been really fantastic…let’s keep it going.

See ya tomorrow at Chicago II. Peace out, edwho & thefireiscooking
    ~
    Who are you people (edwho & thefireiscooking)? Why are you the designated fanview thread starters? Plus, I hate this pointless reminder post about what a fanview is. Sorry, I just think it's pointless.
  • Options
    I miss the days when fanviews were e-mailed in to Kat and Sea....and when the message board was just the message board.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Drove down from Minneapolis to see the show. We stayed at a hotel in Rosemont, so we took the blue line all the way down to the UC. However, I thought the closest stop was Western and not Med. Center. So we get off at Western to find out we're pretty much the only white guys walking around as far as we could see. There are run down buildings and other shit, too. We got approached by an older, haggard woman looking for crack. Thankfully there was a McDs in the area and pointed us in the right direction.

My 10c number is 229xxx and our seats were 11th row in section 112. I figured we wouldn't be on the floor and I was actually glad we weren't. These were about as perfect as they could be given the circumstances.

Thoughts by songs:

Release: In Chicago, you knew it'd open one of the nights. Always a treat to hear.

World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Comatose: The new songs sound awesome live, and a great high energy way to start the shows. If that thread about Tim's comments is true, I'm pretty disappointed the band feel that they aren't getting the reaction they'd hoped for. I know I, for one, was into these songs as much as any other. One of the things I was most looking forawrd to about seeing these shows was being able to yell, "I SAID YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!' during Severed Hand. The lighting is fantastic, though I do think the lasers are a bit much for Pearl Jam. The band clearly love playing these songs and I love hearing them.

Given To Fly, Low Light: Holy shit, Low Light. In the middle of a set! While I don't think it was the best version I've ever heard, it's still a definite treat to hear.

Corduroy, I'm Open, I Got Shit: I'm Open into I Got Shit worked real well. Amazingly enough, it appeared to me that everyone in the Fan Club sections just stood there during I'm Open. I'd have figured that, as only the second live version of this EVER, that there'd have been a bit more excitement about it, but whatever. Granted he isn't speaking the verses, but still...

Even Flow: My goal was to make it back from my piss break before the Mike solo. I missed that mark by about 15 seconds. I was singing along in the hallways, though, and a few other people and I shared excited 'Yeahs!'.

Unemployable: 2006's Cropduster. I just can't get into this song.

Daughter/(W.M.A.): Eddie motioned for the band to continue as they were winding down Daughter. WMA was a highlight for me, even in this form. The lyrics were modified a bit to something about the president, I think.

Present Tense: After hearing PT open in Thunder Bay, I've a new appreciation for this song. This version didn't seem that tight, though, but I loved the build near the end of the track. Crowd was lively for this one.

Do The Evolution: My favorite sing along! aWOO-HOO!

Jeremy: Jeremy continues it's comeback on PJ setlists. Crowd was definitely into this one. I wonder how the guy this was dedicated to felt about having this song done 'for you'? It'd be a great moment for me, no doubt.

Save You: Yes! Save You makes it's debut this tour. I don't care how many times they play it, I fucking love it. Fuck me if I care! Turns out this is the ONLY track from Binaural or RA played tonight.

Porch: Love the jamming. LOVE IT! A great way to end sets.

1st Encore: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away: My traveling companion loves this song so he was super excited to hear it again (he went with me to Boston 04 also). But this time we got to hear it together, since in Boston he had left to get a beer and watched it from the aisles.

Better Man, Come Back: I'm still not a big fan of Come Back. I do think they could turn this into a YL-like crowd pleaser over time as they get more accustomed to playing it. That ending is just asking for crowd participation.

State Of Love And Trust, Black, Alive: SOLAT is always great to hear. I think I've seen the Black/Alive set closer combination more often than not now. And I am NOT complaining about that! Black brought a tear to my eye. Mike is fucking amazing. The mirror ball in Alive was awesome. Crowd was a bit more subdued than during other Alive's I've seen, but still a fun way to end the set.

2nd Encore: Go: This was the only song that I thought that the lasers fit well with. An amazing spectacle and something to look forward to in future shows.

Blood /(Atomic Dog): Fuck yeah! Crowd ate this one up.

Indifference: FUCK YEAH! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! Mike had problems with his guitar though and ended up just sitting this one out. Too bad.

Baba O'Riley: Fucking awesome!

Yellow Ledbetter: My friend hadn't heard this one live yet so it was a treat for him. I just watched the crowd to see the reactions of people. The two shirtless guys along the second balcony railing were pretty entertaining.

All in all it was a solid if unspectacular show. Nothing stood out as completely amazing (that stuff came on the second night!), but nothing was bad either. The crowd seemed a little lackluster, especially on the floor, which was surprising. If I were ranking the shows I've seen (this was #7) it'd be right in the middle. The highlights for me were hearing the new stuff live for the first time, and I do think these translate very very well in a live setting, and clearly the band is getting off on playing them. They definitely seem into these. I was, too.
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Who are you people (edwho & thefireiscooking)?

Pearl Jam fanatics.

aNiMaL wrote:
    Why are you the designated fanview thread starters?

I launched a Fanview thread for Toronto II 5/10 because none were started...and it became sticky.

It was the day after Toronto I 5/9 and no Fanview thread for that one either. So I started a Fanview thread for the one too and it became sticky too.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I hate this pointless reminder post about what a Fanview is. Sorry, I just think it's pointless.

Footsteps, Release, 5 Horizons and Synergy Fanviews only included views from the fans in attendance of the concert.

aNiMaL wrote:
    I miss the days when fanviews were e-mailed in to Kat and Sea

My Toronto II Fanview “thread model” was Sea’s Fanview thread for one of the South American Pearl Jam show.

--

Got a question about a concert but you weren’t there?

Got an interesting comment about a concert but you weren’t there?

Please start a new thread.

Peace out, edwho
    ~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    Drove down from Minneapolis to see the show. We stayed at a hotel in Rosemont, so we took the blue line all the way down to the UC. However, I thought the closest stop was Western and not Med. Center. So we get off at Western to find out we're pretty much the only white guys walking around as far as we could see. There are run down buildings and other shit, too. We got approached by an older, haggard woman looking for crack. Thankfully there was a McDs in the area and pointed us in the right direction.

My 10c number is 229xxx and our seats were 11th row in section 112. I figured we wouldn't be on the floor and I was actually glad we weren't. These were about as perfect as they could be given the circumstances.

Thoughts by songs:

Release: In Chicago, you knew it'd open one of the nights. Always a treat to hear.

World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Comatose: The new songs sound awesome live, and a great high energy way to start the shows. If that thread about Tim's comments is true, I'm pretty disappointed the band feel that they aren't getting the reaction they'd hoped for. I know I, for one, was into these songs as much as any other. One of the things I was most looking forawrd to about seeing these shows was being able to yell, "I SAID YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!' during Severed Hand. The lighting is fantastic, though I do think the lasers are a bit much for Pearl Jam. The band clearly love playing these songs and I love hearing them.

Given To Fly, Low Light: Holy shit, Low Light. In the middle of a set! While I don't think it was the best version I've ever heard, it's still a definite treat to hear.

Corduroy, I'm Open, I Got Shit: I'm Open into I Got Shit worked real well. Amazingly enough, it appeared to me that everyone in the Fan Club sections just stood there during I'm Open. I'd have figured that, as only the second live version of this EVER, that there'd have been a bit more excitement about it, but whatever. Granted he isn't speaking the verses, but still...

Even Flow: My goal was to make it back from my piss break before the Mike solo. I missed that mark by about 15 seconds. I was singing along in the hallways, though, and a few other people and I shared excited 'Yeahs!'.

Unemployable: 2006's Cropduster. I just can't get into this song.

Daughter/(W.M.A.): Eddie motioned for the band to continue as they were winding down Daughter. WMA was a highlight for me, even in this form. The lyrics were modified a bit to something about the president, I think.

Present Tense: After hearing PT open in Thunder Bay, I've a new appreciation for this song. This version didn't seem that tight, though, but I loved the build near the end of the track. Crowd was lively for this one.

Do The Evolution: My favorite sing along! aWOO-HOO!

Jeremy: Jeremy continues it's comeback on PJ setlists. Crowd was definitely into this one. I wonder how the guy this was dedicated to felt about having this song done 'for you'? It'd be a great moment for me, no doubt.

Save You: Yes! Save You makes it's debut this tour. I don't care how many times they play it, I fucking love it. Fuck me if I care! Turns out this is the ONLY track from Binaural or RA played tonight.

Porch: Love the jamming. LOVE IT! A great way to end sets.

1st Encore: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away: My traveling companion loves this song so he was super excited to hear it again (he went with me to Boston 04 also). But this time we got to hear it together, since in Boston he had left to get a beer and watched it from the aisles.

Better Man, Come Back: I'm still not a big fan of Come Back. I do think they could turn this into a YL-like crowd pleaser over time as they get more accustomed to playing it. That ending is just asking for crowd participation.

State Of Love And Trust, Black, Alive: SOLAT is always great to hear. I think I've seen the Black/Alive set closer combination more often than not now. And I am NOT complaining about that! Black brought a tear to my eye. Mike is fucking amazing. The mirror ball in Alive was awesome. Crowd was a bit more subdued than during other Alive's I've seen, but still a fun way to end the set.

2nd Encore: Go: This was the only song that I thought that the lasers fit well with. An amazing spectacle and something to look forward to in future shows.

Blood /(Atomic Dog): Fuck yeah! Crowd ate this one up.

Indifference: FUCK YEAH! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! Mike had problems with his guitar though and ended up just sitting this one out. Too bad.

Baba O'Riley: Fucking awesome!

Yellow Ledbetter: My friend hadn't heard this one live yet so it was a treat for him. I just watched the crowd to see the reactions of people. The two shirtless guys along the second balcony railing were pretty entertaining.

All in all it was a solid if unspectacular show. Nothing stood out as completely amazing (that stuff came on the second night!), but nothing was bad either. The crowd seemed a little lackluster, especially on the floor, which was surprising. If I were ranking the shows I've seen (this was #7) it'd be right in the middle. The highlights for me were hearing the new stuff live for the first time, and I do think these translate very very well in a live setting, and clearly the band is getting off on playing them. They definitely seem into these. I was, too.
    Great fanview, AndySlash! I wasn't there, but reading your review made me feel sorta like I was. Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Great fanview, AndySlash! I wasn't there, but reading your review made me feel sorta like I was. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, man! I just re-read it and cringed at some of it, but I'm glad it translated well to you.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I wish I was in the midwest for this show! Hands down, a great setlist!!!
  • Options
    i just wanted to add something real fast. since you bastards all bought up the 10c tickets for this show in like 5 minutes, i had to suffice for tickets behind the stage on stone's side (which was cool - i recommend you try it once because the band's-eye view of the audience is something to behold).

we also had a clear view of the side stage where most of the techs are busy teching. and right before pearl jam took the stage (house lights still on) who shows up? jill and olivia. they were beboppin around back there, waiting for the show to start. as master/slave started clanking out, jill popped on a small set of protective headphones for olivia. they danced to WWS and during mike's solo in even flow, ed came over and waved to them. AWESOME to see him enjoying being a father. i'm happy for them all.
    ~I'd list my shows here, but I've long since lost count~
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Addled23 wrote:
    Did anyone else out in the smoker corral feel like we were being herded out there to be executed? Our group kept waiting for the snipers to appear in the United Center windows to take us out. :)

they had a smoker corral? damn! i had to sit in the floor and smoke so nobody would see me. the people around me got a kick out that. they covered for me.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    yieldgirlyieldgirl Posts: 21
    It was a decent show, I met people next me from Louisville and Crestwood KY. Hey if that was you send me a pm!! I think one guy said he went by LBC72 or something.
    " I think the thing that has always driven me to play music is the feeling you get when you just close your eyes and play. When you shut off the logic in your brain, and play from your heart. I think that's what made me become a musician - that feeling you get. Especially, if you are with a group of people who are in the same zone, and heading towards that same place in the song. I think you share an intimacy in those situations that you can only compare to sharing intimacy with a lover. I think it's the same place. It's a feeling that I crave for sure. " Jeff Ament
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I've seen PJ live 3 times in Chicago, and I have to say this was their best one by far. The guys had so much energy and life; it's like they were bouncing off the walls, especially Eddie and Mike. The new album is the best they've put out in years, and this show totally rocked!
    The crowd seemed pretty enthusiastic, except for the people in my section (320, great view of the stage, right next to it!). They were just kind of sitting there, while my best friend and I were up dancing and singing. But by the end, everybody was on their feet cheering the roof off of the place.
    I'm a Beatles nut too, so when Eddie sang "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" it was like the combination of two perfect worlds for me. Just awesome. And "I Got Id" and "State of Love and Trust" both in one night?!? How cool was that?!
    I really regret not seeing them the night after. Oh well. There's always Summerfest next month...
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~
    http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho002.jpg

Mark (edwho) and Ken Pre-Party Chicago 1 Guest Photographer

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho003.jpg

Pre-Party Chicago I Guest Photographer

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho006.jpg

Ed Chicago I Picture by Clint

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho001.jpg

Jeff & Stone Chicago I Picture by Clint

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho009.jpg

Mike Chicago I Picture by Clint

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho008.jpg

Jeff Chicago I Picture by Clint

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho010.jpg

Ed & Matt Chicago I Picture by Clint

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bmosier/edwho015.jpg

Mike Chicago I Picture by Clint

Just in case you weren’t aware: after you open the links (picture) move the curser to the lower right corner of the picture and a ‘Button’ to enlarge the photo will appear. Use this if you’d like to see a larger image, click again to go back.

A special Thank You to “mozman88” for hosting.
    ~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    drollydrolly Posts: 41
    Solid show, but really weird for me. Didn't get 10c tix (which I've posted about before) and through an even longer story were up in the 300 level. VERY different being way up there as opposed to being surrounded by 10c members, just seem kinda detached from everything. My finacee commented that this was the first show she's been to with me where she couldn't tell what the group was wearing.

Anyway, nice to hear Low Light. Liked Come Back, one of my favorites off the new album. LOVED Blood, first time I've heard it live and was cool because I've been listening to that song nonstop from the PSU boot. Also was cool to hear I Got Shit live for the first time, one of my favs. I love Present Tense (awesome opener for the Thunder Bay show), but I HATE the sing along for it, especially when Ed lets the crowd completely take over. Just doesn't fit that song at all for me.

I hate to say it, but Even Flow and Alive, and to a lesser extent, Jeremy, are really getting old for me. Maybe because it just seems like they've all been played at every show I've been to over the years and on the majority of the boots that I listen to regularly, I don't know.
    I always finish what I sta
  • Options
    Royals55Royals55 Posts: 38
    Edwho always have the best pics thanks
    2005 Thunder Bay,Toronto
    2006 Toronto X 2
    2006 Cleveland, Cincinnati
    2006 Arnhem, Barcelona
    2007 The Vic,Lolla, Chicago
    2008 Bonnaroo,MSG1,MSG2 ,Hartford, Mansfield1
    EV Vancouverx2
  • Options
    AmentsArmyAmentsArmy Posts: 78
    I was stoked to finally get to see PJ for the first time since East Troy in 2003, but the visions of Mike refusing to leave the stage before playing one last track (Yellow Ledbetter of course) was still fresh in my mind. Got to the United Center, was able to get a poster (beat the Ebay crew, just barely), take it to the car, and get back inside in time to catch MMJ. I dug their set, but I prefer their acoustic 5-track CD- check it out, it's wonderfully mellow music. Anyway, PJ finally arrived to the stage, and my quest to lose my voice began. Release was a great opener, especially for Eddie's hometown. I've always liked that song as an opener, and it's always followed up with a set of high-octane songs. Hence, came Worldwide Suicide. This song is great live, and the band appeared to be pretty intense. Then Life Wasted, which is the song I've been waking up to for the past couple of weeks. They ripped through this one, not letting up one bit from WWS. Next was Severed Hand, my favorite track from the new album. This song rocks!!!!!!!!! To me it incorporates all of Pearl Jam's strongest qualities into one track: Matt's crescendo drumming, Mike's unparalled lead guitar, Stone's raging rhythm guitar, Jeff's flawless base alternations, and Eddie's howlingly emotional vocals. I hadn't yet had time to catch my breath by the time they ripped out Comatose! For me this song is the new Blood, and the place shook. Given to Fly followed, and this has always been a great fan song, seeing the masses of fans raising their arms in unison to the song, bouncing along to each beat, just awesome. Then Lowlight, one of my closet favorites, sounded great, and gave me a chance to chill for a bit. I figured another slow tract was to follow, but then came my favorite PJ song- Corduroy! I fucking love this song, it can pick me up every time I hear it, regardless of the circumstance. In my opinion, it's one of the best rock tunes of all time. I'm Open was a welcomed suprise, it took me back to the first time I heard No Code. A local radio station was playing it start to finish, and I was laying on the hood of my Plymouth Horizon on some dirt road in the middle of the country side, smoking a cigarette under the stars. Good track; would've loved to hear the spoken lyrics, too. I've Got ID brought the place back into a frenzy- any Merkinball is always appreciated. Another unquestionable rocker, and another one of my favorites. Next it was time for Mike to rip the strings off his guitar on Even Flow. I've heard this song countless times, but Mike's solo seemed unique that night, like a special take on his usual shredding riffs. Unemployable was a welcome tune, reminds me of REM and I dig Eddie's vocal effects on this one. Daughter was great per usual, and my first experience with the WMA tag. I was hoping for It's O.K., but WMA was great (last time I heard it with Ben Harper My Own Two Hands tag in Council Bluffs). Next was Present Tense, my favorite track off No Code. I was so jazzed to see they were bringing this song back into heavy rotation- Jeff's baseline on that track and Eddie's baritone musings just pierce your soul. Do the Evolution knocked things back into high gear, loved seeing Stone shred on this one, fucking brilliant. Jeremy got the masses jumping up and down, then Save You blew the doors off the place. Mike looked like he was having a rock seizure at the beginning of this song; I swear it looks like he's trying to kill his guitar every time they play this song- once again, it fucking rocked. Needing another breather, I was unprepared for the passionate anthem we know as Porch. Awesomely intense, great solos, kick ass way to close out the first set. Eddie came out for the first encore and blessed us with a little Beatles ditty, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. I think the crowd really loves singing along to this tune. Betterman followed with the sound of the crowd almost drowning out the band; always a great song for the fans to interact with the band. Then Come Back! Fuck yeah! This is a great tune; such a sad song, but giving off a serene air of hope. So glad they decided to give us this one live. They blistered through State of Love and Trust like it was on fire, and it was a beautiful frenzy. Black took me back to the first time I saw PJ live; I broke down onto my knees in the middle of the mosh pit and paid the price, but it was a powerfully emotional experience all the same. They closed out the first encore with Alive; Mike once again perfectly busting through one of the most recognizable riffs of all time. I thought we'd be in for a little softer fair for the start of the second encore, but I was sorrily mistaken. Go sliced through the air like a knife, then...My blooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck yeah, it was as intense as if the show had just started. Then my virgin live experience with Indifference, a song very close to my heart, quite the emotional four minutes. By the time Baba came, I was exhausted. Yellow Ledbetter closed things down in ceremonial fashion, and sadly the show was over. Like each of my previous PJ experiences, it was 3+ hours of everything being right with the world. Each show it's as if I'm still in my room, screaming my lungs out on each verse of every song, and not caring what's going on around me. This band means so much to me-I can't describe how wonderful I feel when I'm at a PJ show, but each new experience never fails to disappoint. The band sounded young, intense, furious, just fucking amazing. Thank you Pearl Jam, your music has changed my life, and each concert I attend helps me find my way back to being truly happy...
    Rapid City - June 23rd, 1998

"I will hold the candle, till it burns up my arm..."
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I am going to try to post a link to my hubby's photos from Chicago I. He got some great photos. I hope this works

http://www1.snapfish.com/shareethumbnai ... =SALB/t_=0[url][/url]
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Johnny WongJohnny Wong Wauwatosa, WI Posts: 193
    Here are my Brother-In-Law's Lomos from that night, Check these out. This is some Russian camera that he loves... (requires no flash)

go to:

http://www.lomography.com/homesDeLuxe/

Search by name: dogfaceboy

Then go to Public Albums.... There are two PJ albums one color, one B&W.

Enjoy!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • Options
    emignacioemignacio Posts: 12
    hi all ~

I just wanted to share some pictures of this absolutely wonderful show with you...Some of 'em are tres blurry; sorry! It's the best I could do with my little point and shoot

Ten Club and Pearl Jam ~ thank you very much for generously allowing us to bring our cameras...I'm a bit trigger happy, but I'll try to be less so in the future....I promise I'll *try*!

Everyone ~ the link and password are below:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/emignacio/Pearl%20Jam%20-%20Chitown%20May%202006/

The read only password to view this album is: release

They're under "Pearl Jam - Chitown May 2006"

(the rest of the pics are of my friends :o) )

take good care,
    Em
    make yourself a pact, not to shut doors on the past
    just for today,... I am free

I will not lose my faith
    It's an inside job today