For those that use earplugs at shows

iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
I've had issues in the past so I want to start wearing at shows, what brands are good nothing too expensive right now and want to keep the sound sounding as good as it can

Comments

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Had a few threads on this. Do a search.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Etymotic Research has a pair on Amazon that are pretty popular and cheap. Around $13. I bought a pair, their small and fit pretty good. Come with a carrying case as well. I'm sure you could spend more, but I think these would do the trick.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited September 2014

I've had issues in the past so I want to start wearing at shows, what brands are good nothing too expensive right now and want to keep the sound sounding as good as it can

I went to a music shop and purchased some really good ones for 15-20 bucks. They may have different kinds. These work well because they mold right into my ear, and don't have to adjust them. They are not the spiral shaped ones (those hurt my ears and are uncomfortable). The sound with these plugs is great. Takes out all the feedback, and I can hear the instruments and vocals clearly. Bought them in 2004, and been wearing them ever since to many shows.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    I've tried a few also. I have to say that I have settled on good old fashioned cotton balls. About one fourth of a ball per ear and it works great!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Little pink ones at Walgreens work well!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 452
    I've used these kind for years. Cheap, work great, and you can adjust them throughout the show.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/flents-quiet!-please---foam-ear-plugs/ID=prod6144831-product
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II
    [80*]
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    yellowwho said:

Etymotic Research has a pair on Amazon that are pretty popular and cheap. Around $13. I bought a pair, their small and fit pretty good. Come with a carrying case as well. I'm sure you could spend more, but I think these would do the trick.

This is what I use. I've been to 200+ shows in my life and never want to experience the ringing I had after seeing Soundgarden in 1996 (my second show, first was PJ at Soldier Field so it wasnt an issue) again. Earplugs actually make the show sound better IMO and you can even understand what is being said between songs while everyone around you is going "what did he say?"

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • I use Etymotic as well. I have slight case of Tinitus in right ear and will not see a show without earplugs. I also agree on the show sounding better...
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

yellowwho said:

This is what I use. I've been to 200+ shows in my life and never want to experience the ringing I had after seeing Soundgarden in 1996 (my second show, first was PJ at Soldier Field so it wasnt an issue) again. Earplugs actually make the show sound better IMO and you can even understand what is being said between songs while everyone around you is going "what did he say?"

Me three. I go to lots of shows (over 50 last year), I don't need to lose my hearing. The show that made me get earplugs: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/05/mike_watt_celeb.html :D

To be specific, I use these. There are different sizes, but these work fabulously for me: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Yep, I use the ETY Plugs, but am about to drop the necessary funds for custom-made musicians plugs (with Etymotic filters). I've had full-out tinnitus since the Pearl Jam MSG shows in 2010 unfortunately. Good you're noticing this now rather than after the fact! I miss silence dearly.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited September 2014
    And if you order from Amazon, don't forget to sign up for Amazon Smile - part of your purchase will go to the Vitalogy Foundation if you pick them as your charity!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

And if you order from Amazon, don't forget to sign up for Amazon Smile - part of your purchase will go to the Vitalogy Foundation if you pick them as your charity!

Wow, I had no idea!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    At my job, they have lots of earplugs for employees to use since a lot of testing makes a lot of noise. I just use those and my ears don't ring after a show, and I do not attend a show without them.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    my ears ring far less when I use them for the openers. I put them in at select times during PJ, and have had a much more pleasurable next day.

Home depot squishy yellows or oranges
  • Do shows sound better with even the cheap cone ones? Never would have thought it would make a show sound better

Do shows sound better with even the cheap cone ones? Never would have thought it would make a show sound better

Yes.

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited October 2014
    I use cheapies and can still hear everything. I remember people calling me a wuss ten years ago and now they're losing their hearing because they wanted to be "hardcore".
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    ;)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited October 2014
    All of you make me feel much better. I was wanting to take earplugs. Didn't know what kind of lashing I would get. Too many concerts in my day have given me a permanent case of Tinnitus. Don't want to make it any worse than it already is.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    deadendp said:

All of you make me feel much better. I was wanting to take earplugs. Didn't know what kind of lashing I would get. Too many concerts in my day have given me a permanent case of Tinitus. Don't want to make it any worse than it already is.

I'm with you Amy...I use earplugs because I have tinnitus in my left ear!!!
    If I had known then...what I know NOW!!!!
    :D
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    This had never occurred to me, but what a good idea. I had a scare with tinnitus but thankfully it went away, except when there is pressure on my right ear. I don't ever want it back, so will give this a try in Milwaukee.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited October 2014
    deadendp said:

All of you make me feel much better. I was wanting to take earplugs. Didn't know what kind of lashing I would get. Too many concerts in my day have given me a permanent case of Tinitus. Don't want to make it any worse than it already is.

1. Fuck anyone who criticizes you for protecting your hearing. Not wearing earplugs is about as cool as smoking.

2. You used "than" correctly, so chances are that YOU'RE smarter THAN 99% of the people out there anyways.

• jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Thanks for posting! Just bought 2 pairs of the ETY ear plugs. Will have to get a cheap pair for Cincy!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• deadendp said:

Protect your senses.
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    Thanks all for the tips, I ordered ety tonight also, glad others are grabbing on to the idea as well from my post
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    My hearing is valuable to me, so if people don't like it that I wear earplugs at shows, screw them since my sense of hearing is priceless. Thank you for reading this, as you were.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave said:

deadendp said:

All of you make me feel much better. I was wanting to take earplugs. Didn't know what kind of lashing I would get. Too many concerts in my day have given me a permanent case of Tinnitus. Don't want to make it any worse than it already is.

I'm with you Amy...I use earplugs because I have tinnitus in my left ear!!!
    If I had known then...what I know NOW!!!!
    :D

deadendp said:

1. Fuck anyone who criticizes you for protecting your hearing. Not wearing earplugs is about as cool as smoking.

2. You used "than" correctly, so chances are that YOU'RE smarter THAN 99% of the people out there anyways.

Thanks, but I didn't double check the spelling of tinnitus. (Since corrected.) Knocks me down a few points. ;)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

Thanks, but I didn't double check the spelling of tinnitus. (Since corrected.) Knocks me down a few points. ;)

Haha, that I can forgive.

• dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,187
    Order placed for Memphis
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    I just bought some real "cheap" ones...they claim to lower sound by about 30 decibels, but ten of them for like $4?? I'll take my chances. With my luck, they'll probably fall out by the third song!
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"