Backspacer turns 14 years old

Comments

• SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Was their attempt at a pop album tbh, glad it wasn't a commercial success or they may well have carried on in that vein...

Guilty pleasure album for me.
    Nature drunk and High
  • still IN LOVE with many of the songs. especially the fixer and just breathe and amongst the waves and um and...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-Cx9IX4So
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Am I the only person who cringes completely with the "gems and rhinestones" line in Unthought Known. One of Ed's worst lyric lines.

Probably
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Great record - will always remind me of when I met @mfc2006 & we started writing songs together. Love how PJ records are like their own time capsules.

Anything come out of the "backspacer writing sessions"?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

I've said this before on another thread, but the demo of Speed of Sound is (in my mind) 100 times greater than the full band version. It's so personal. You can hear the longing in his singing and in the message he is putting out there.

Agree. Its amazing and shouldve been on the album.

I think BS as a whole is a Brendan Obrien/Pearl Jam experiment to write a few really accessible tunes and theres never anything wrong with that. It was a welcome surprise to my ears. The Fixer is a great song from Matt. Just Breathe hits me hard. Unthought, Amongst, The End, all great tunes.

I know a lot of people who love Avocado to death and i just cant get into it, even after 10 yrs. Thats why i can understand if someone doesnt like Backspacer. A wide range of LPs to pick from. Give us more!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2016

Am I the only person who cringes completely with the "gems and rhinestones" line in Unthought Known. One of Ed's worst lyric lines.

No you're not the only one. I think that is my least favorite PJ lyric of all time, and the whole song makes me uncomfortable. Every time I hear it I still can't believe that Eddie wrote it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Don't care what anyone says, I fucking love Backspacer!
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Force of Nature is so damn good

Needs more Live Love
    edited September 2016
    That one moment where he goes "makes me ache Makes me shake!" is vintage Eddie. Love that part
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I love me some Backspacer, we'll except for Just Breathe. Could do without that one but other than that some really good tunes on there. A few have become very significant in my life.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    I always find it funny how people hate on Just Breathe because it was a commercial success...its a good song, it got played on contemporary radio..deal with it...ive appreciated this album more and more over the years
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjalive21 said:

I always find it funny how people hate on Just Breathe because it was a commercial success...its a good song, it got played on contemporary radio..deal with it...ive appreciated this album more and more over the years

Every time I hear that song it gets closer and closer to being in my Top 10 PJ tunes.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Don't care what anyone says, I fucking love Backspacer!

word
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    pjalive21 said:

I don't hate on it because it was a commercial success. I just don't like the song. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me and I feel that it's trite. Not saying no one can like just that I don't. Deal with it.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Agreed. I think Just Breathe is simplistic musically, vanilla lyrically and a drag live. I have nothing against it commercially. In fact, if there's a saving grace for it-it's that it was successful on the radio. I'd just prefer if a song were to expose PJ to the masses it would be something like Got Some or Getaway. Not cookie cutter tunes like Just Breathe.
  • there's a ton of beatles song i would say are cookie cutter...but anyways!
    the fact that willie&lukas nailed that video only adds to it's special meaning for me. then hearing ed and willie chat about it. cut it any way you want but willie is a musical hero/treasure. that last verse sung/shared between willie&lukas after the final guitar solo. WOW
    that song in telluride this summer was def one of the most precious PJ moments i will hold close for a long time
    Eddie Vedder "Smokin' a Great Joint Without the Coughin' " // SiriusXM // Willie's Roadhouse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWgSMiisRCM
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    I love this album. I don't get the hate. Listening to Johnny Guitar makes feel like Joe Jackson just dropped a new single. My third favorite album.
  • I've said this before on another thread, but the demo of Speed of Sound is (in my mind) 100 times greater than the full band version. It's so personal. You can hear the longing in his singing and in the message he is putting out there.

I agree. Replace the Bon Jovi version of speed of sound on the album with the demo version (and maybe change some of the cringeworthy lyrics on the fixer and supersonic) and I could see a case for it being their best post-yield album
  • Wma31394 said:

Probably
    In the most sincerest way yes.
    I love that lyric. In fact it gives me chills and I can't wait to hear it when it is blasting in the car.
    His voice is same as in MFS when he does his rant about father being dead and gone.
    He is in a space when he says it.
    With gems and rhinestones is a great lyric and delivered like only EV can.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964

I will used to be like you, until I witnessed this -
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMR5mOELe1s
    that performance made me fall in love with the song too, I think that was the highlight of the show for me.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2016

pjalive21 said:

I don't hate on it because it was a commercial success. I just don't like the song. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me and I feel that it's trite. Not saying no one can like just that I don't. Deal with it.
    Ditto. I would never dislike a PJ song because it's a commercial success. Actually, I'd be really happy if something PJ did became a real commercial success again. If I don't like a song, it's because I don't like the actual song (and in this case, pretty much the entire album). Period.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ehbacon said:

I will used to be like you, until I witnessed this -
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMR5mOELe1s
    that performance made me fall in love with the song too, I think that was the highlight of the show for me.
    Good stuff.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Wma31394 said:

Great record - will always remind me of when I met @mfc2006 & we started writing songs together. Love how PJ records are like their own time capsules.

Around 25 songs that fall and another 40 or more in the years following...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Wma31394 said:

Around 25 songs that fall and another 40 or more in the years following...
    With plenty more to come
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Backspacer..so mediocre. Then LB came along and now its not too bad. :lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Backspacer..so mediocre. Then LB came along and now its not too bad. :lol:

Never understood the hate for BS save 1or2 posters.
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    Backspacer, to me, always felt incomplete as a record as do some of the songs. Unthought and Just Breathe seem like they're cut short or something. I think there are some excellent songs on that record and still listen to it from time to time. I do understand the lack of love for it as it does just feel like they were writing and recording and just - didn't finish. All of that aside, good grief I am aching for some new music. I mean, 4 - looking at potentially 5 - years is plenty. It's not like these guys aren't alive and vibrant for their age.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited September 2017
    Really like this album.  My favorite album post Yield. I come back to these tunes more than any of the 21st century PJ albums.  

I still wish Speed of Sound was the demo version but i only skip 2 songs on the entire album. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on