Sleeping by Myself (L/B version)

I know the lyrics are sad and hopeless, but the tempo on this version is so upbeat and........well, hopeful.
And the vocal harmony is wonderful. I sometimes pop in this song on my way to work in the morning and it just makes me feel good!
I have to admit, when I saw that this song was going to be on the new record, I was worried. But now I just love it.

Comments

• I'm with you, one of the unexpected high points of the record.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,927
    Theia said:

I know the lyrics are sad and hopeless, but the tempo on this version is so upbeat and........well, hopeful.

This is my biggest problem with the song. The band version distracts from the meaning of the lyrics and the song has ended up a real mess.

Ukulele Songs version is far, far superior IMO.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    edited October 2014
    No way! The original pre-Uke Songs version is far superior imo. The LB one is so awesome too. I love the vocals on a line "I could never go with someone else..." It makes me well up. I love a juxtaposition of the hopeful/sad elements together, its like your trying to move on from something heart breaking in the spirit of courage but theres a memory of pain.
    Post edited by Mad Mohab on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Mad Mohab said:

I love a juxtaposition of the hopeful/sad elements together, its like your trying to move on from something heart breaking in the spirit of courage but theres a memory of pain.

Hit the nail on the head!
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    How BOB insisted this was a "Pearl Jam song" when he heard from Ukulele blows my mind. I love the song and don't mind it on LB, but the original is way better.
  • karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited November 2014
    I like it live and don't mind the upbeat feel t give and the lyrics that don't match it. It reminds me of Help from the Beatles, but I still think it would have been great as a Christmas single, but it has no place on Lightning bolt. And yes the uke version is better, but this version is fun.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn