Options

Bootcamp for OSX

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited September 2014 in Technical Stuff and Help
I tried running this today on my Mac using a downloaded Windows platform, but now I can't boot my computer. When I turn it on I get a black screen and a message that says 'No bootable device. Insert boot disc and press any key.'

Any ideas on how I can boot up my Mac now?

I was using Bootcamp to partition my Mac so as to be able to play games on the Windows drive. But I don't want my Mac starting up using the Windows operating system. I was hoping it would just sit in the background. Is that something I can do? Or would using Bootcamp mean that my Mac would always start up using Windows? If so then I'd rather just forget the whole thing and set it back to how it was before.
Post edited by Byrnzie on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    Byrnzie - if you hold the Option key when you turn the Mac on, it should present you with any viable startup drives, which you can use your arrow keys and select. What's happening is that it's likely trying to default the startup to the Windows partition, and since it's only a black screen, something must've gone awry during the installation.

As for choosing the default OS - just go to System Preferences once you've booted into Mac mode, and click on Startup Disk. At that point, you can just click the Mac partition and you should be good, and you can always hold Option to go back into your Windows environment once you figure it out.

As far as installing Windows from a downloaded platform, I always found the best way was to install it through Parallels or VMWare Fusion. If you need help with that (on either the... ahem... acquisition of said software) or getting the OS properly installed, let me know.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Cheers, I'll try that.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Seems to be ok now. Thanks dude. You saved me having to head over to the local Chinese electronics mart and try to explain the problem to them.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on