Options

petition to show our support for Pearl Jam never whoring themselves out by playing at Super Bowl

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    TalonTedd said:

I gotta support the spirit of this thread. None of us want to think PJ would "sell out" for a wheel barrel full of cash. That's the kind of Cadillac the NFL can park at their door. but at the same time I would never lose an Iota of respect for PJ if they did play the Super Bowl. Hell, I might actually watch it. I watched last years purely because Seattle was in it. No, if they do it one time I would support that decision because they have earned my respect and admiration on too many levels. But I don't want to see it happen. It would be great however if Eddie did some kind Grammy Redux. He walks out there, climbs the goal post, tells all the fans how meaningless this all really is, then tells Dick Chainey to go fuck himself. What a dream come true that would be!

In joyous part. :-c

I don't think that the performers at the Superbowl get paid anything. On the contrary, I posted earlier that the NFL is now considering charging the performers for the privilege.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    KC138045 said:

i_lov_it said:

Well we don't want them to become anything like Britney Spears lol

Or Janet Jackson. The last thing we need is Boom having a wardrobe malfunction. :))
    Oh, man! :))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    KC138045 said:

i_lov_it said:

Or Janet Jackson. The last thing we need is Boom having a wardrobe malfunction. :))
    Maybe Stone would flash the audience again!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    PJ soul said
    I don't think that the performers at the Superbowl get paid anything. On the contrary, I posted earlier that the NFL is now considering charging the performers for the privilege.

What arrogance, what gall. If that were to ever be proven true, I would never watch another game in its entirety....oh wait I already do that. Well then, I would only watch the half time show, maybe...damn, I also already do that. Drat, I guess I'm done with this thread except to say, Ed, pleeeease do a Grammy redux at the Super Bowl. Its so f!@#ing meaningless.
    :-q
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    KC138045 said:

i_lov_it said:

Haha yeah :))
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    Grammy redux at the Superbowl? I'd be in for that! Actually, I was hoping Weird Al would get the nod this year and then he could do a parity of a bunch of the previous entertainers. I bet he'd do a great impression of Madonna struggling to get up from her knees. X_X
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835

Grammy redux at the Superbowl? I'd be in for that! Actually, I was hoping Weird Al would get the nod this year and then he could do a parity of a bunch of the previous entertainers. I bet he'd do a great impression of Madonna struggling to get up from her knees. X_X

Ah yes....weird Al. Our great Canadian diplomat. And he would totally nail that Madonna struggle. I need to watch like a surgeon....right now!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCYFjcD0LnE
    Redux Redux Redux!

:-bd
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited September 2014
    I want to thank Hank for classifying a good deal of the music from my formative years, and that I still enjoy today, as being performed by "whores".

Stevie Wonder
    Smokey Robinson
    James Brown
    ZZ Top
    Michael Jackson
    Aerosmith
    U2
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Prince
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    The Who
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    and, worst of all, Doug Kershaw.

Trust me, the NFL doesn't give a rats ass about what you think.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    TalonTedd said:

PJ soul said

What arrogance, what gall. If that were to ever be proven true, I would never watch another game in its entirety....oh wait I already do that. Well then, I would only watch the half time show, maybe...damn, I also already do that. Drat, I guess I'm done with this thread except to say, Ed, pleeeease do a Grammy redux at the Super Bowl. Its so f!@#ing meaningless.
    :-q

I think it's as proven as it will get, but sounds legit. The managers of several different major acts said they were approached by the NFL to see if their bands would pay to play the Superbowl. Coldplay was one of them, don't recall who else.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639

I want to thank Hank for classifying a good deal of the music from my formative years, and that I still enjoy today, as being performed by "whores".

Stevie Wonder
    Smokey Robinson
    James Brown
    ZZ Top
    Michael Jackson
    Aerosmith
    U2
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Prince
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    The Who
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    and, worst of all, Doug Kershaw.

Trust me, the NFL doesn't give a rats ass about what you think.

but only the singer is mic'd up so yeah if you are faking it, it becomes acting and not naturally flowing, to me that is trading integrity for fame, that is whore-ish to me
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited September 2014
    As a fan of this band, the fan of the National Football League, and a fan all of those bands that I listed above, I find your argument, (as most of all of your arguments you start and then try to control in here) quite flawed Hank. Your use of the word "whore" in describing very talented recording artists bothers me, much as your use of the word "pussification" when you were talking a while back about the sing-a-long that Betterman is.

You want to start a petition, start one, but don't argue with everyone who comes in here and makes a statement challenging your poor choices in language. If you think the Super Bowl halftime show is an evil corporate thing, don't watch it. Spare us the non existent Pearl Jam connection and all of the self righteousness and attitude.

Whoever is chosen to do the halftime show, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Yeezy, a reunited effing Pink Floyd, or Skrillix or WHOEVER...they're not trading anything for fame...they're already the most famous rock stars in the world. It's about logistics of putting on the worlds most watched bit of television, not integrity.

Please don't call Katy Perry a whore. That just ain't right.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options

As a fan of this band, the fan of the National Football League, and a fan all of those bands that I listed above, I find your argument, (as most of all of your arguments you start and then try to control in here) quite flawed Hank. Your use of the word "whore" in describing very talented recording artists bothers me, much as your use of the word "pussification" when you were talking a while back about the sing-a-long that Betterman is.

You want to start a petition, start one, but don't argue with everyone who comes in here and makes a statement challenging your poor choices in language. If you think the Super Bowl halftime show is an evil corporate thing, don't watch it. Spare us the non existent Pearl Jam connection and all of the self righteousness and attitude.

Whoever is chosen to do the halftime show, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Yeezy, a reunited effing Pink Floyd, or Skrillix or WHOEVER...they're not trading anything for fame...they're already the most famous rock stars in the world. It's about logistics of putting on the worlds most watched bit of television, not integrity.

Katy Perry is a joke so that there tells me all I need to know. It is not an argument it is my evolved opinion and you are trying to turn it into an argument, my opinion is that anyone who pretends to play for fame is whoring themselves, but you are trying to prevent me from having an opinion unless it matches yours, and read back through the responses at least as many people have agreed with me, are you trying go invalidat their opinions to, you are the epitome of a cyber bully. Everyone is entitled to their opinion that includes both of us, so go smoke a bowl and chill out
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Katy Perry is a joke so that there tells me all I need to know. It is not an argument it is my evolved opinion and you are trying to turn it into an argument, my opinion is that anyone who pretends to play for fame is whoring themselves, but you are trying to prevent me from having an opinion unless it matches yours, and read back through the responses at least as many people have agreed with me, are you trying go invalidat their opinions to, you are the epitome of a cyber bully. Everyone is entitled to their opinion that includes both of us, so go smoke a bowl and chill out
    Can't say I am a huge fan of Katy Perry, but damn she churns out #1 hits. I actually think she would be a great superbowl halftime performer. In terms of pop stars I hear her live show is very impressive, as well as Pinks.

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    As far as I'm concerned, the band can do whatever the fuck they please. In fact, I would be stoked if they ever played halftime at the SB. I know for sure that would be one halftime show that would actually be good and I would enjoy.

Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    My top ten bands I would like to see play the Super Bowl half-time even because they would top even Pearl Jam for unlikely-to-do-it as well as really-freaking-weird-to-see-it-happen:

10. Sonic Youth (Reunited)
    9. Mission of Burma
    8. Social Distortion
    7. GBH
    6. The Misfits
    5. Dead Kennedys
    4. Black Flag (current formation + guest singer/former member Henry Rollins)
    3. Bad Brains
    2. Neil Young and Crazy Horse

and my number one most unlikely-to-do-it as well as really-freaking-weird-to-see-it-happen band is...

drum roll...

Paul Shaffer and The CBS Orchestra!!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Cyber bully? Somewhat over the top accusation (unless this term and "whore" are being haphazardly bandied about now!) ... especially in this realm and moreso considering this topic is about something that at this point is hypothetical and not even a glimmer of a glimpse of a possibility.

YLed2, agreed - the fuck as THEY please!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Cyber bully? Somewhat over the top accusation (unless this term and "whore" are being haphazardly bandied about now!) ... especially in this realm and moreso considering this topic is about something that at this point is hypothetical and not even a glimmer of a glimpse of a possibility.

YLed2, agreed - the fuck as THEY please!

I agree as well, Hedonist and YLed2 but if PJ played the Super Bowl and lip synced their performance, oh the howls we would hear on these pages!!!

...but I'm guessing it's a moot point- I don't see it ever happening.

• Options
    Pearl Jam Twenty, Eddie talked about not wanting to lip sync to make a music video, I believe that he would never go up there and make his bandmates pretend to play, I just have to believe they have more integrity than that, and maybe I am a fool for believing that, I hope not
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited September 2014

Pearl Jam Twenty, Eddie talked about not wanting to lip sync to make a music video, I believe that he would never go up there and make his bandmates pretend to play, I just have to believe they have more integrity than that, and maybe I am a fool for believing that, I hope not

Would you really question Pearl Jam's integrity if they played the Super Bowl with just Eddie singing live? What is so horrible about playing to pre-recorded music? Are people going to die or something?

Eddie said a lot of things over the years and has changed his mind. I don't think Bruce, U2 or the Who lack integrity for playing the Super Bowl. I think you need to lighten up and realize the Super Bowl halftime show is not a concert but an event that is supposed to be fun. Don't turn it into something that it isn't. This isn't PJ at Benaroya Hall.
  • Options

I guess I just don't get the point of bringing it up to begin with.

Why not petition (oy, enough with these things already!) for Ed not to twerk against Stone?

Or not to use autotune?

It strikes me as so far-fetched to expend such energy and thought on this. And it's not really your or anyone else's place. They've been pretty much a class act so far; I've no reason to think they'd compromise their music to something they wouldn't be proud of.

(but...have at it :D)
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    edited September 2014
    Face the facts - PJ is a big time band. The SB is a big time event. A LOT of big time bands (bands who PJ admires) have played the SB. This is also a band, with a proven track record, can do whatever they please and do what they want to with the best intentions of not only themselves, but their fan base.

I would thoroughly enjoy it. It would make a great event even greater.

BUT, as many have said, we're talking about a glimmer of a glimpse of a possibility. Bottom line is they can do what they want, and I would fully support them playing the SB. It would make a great day even greater.
    Post edited by YLed2 on
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options

Everyone is entitled to their opinion that includes both of us, so go smoke a bowl and chill out

I think the same advice would apply to someone starting a petition to stop PJ from playing the Super Bowl.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
    BUT isn't the very next scene in the movie,
    AFTER Ed says he wouldn't lip sync for a video,
    The band doing that exact thing for the JEREMY video???
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Why is it not ok for someone to express an opinion around here without others telling them to beat it? Are we all supposed to think exactly alike?

• Options
    Beat It? I ain't singing Michael Jackson, Brian :D

Yup, all for letting loose, mind-wise. All for being open to being called out on that too.

Not that's what I think you meant...just had to throw it out there.

And for such an...odd topic...kinda pleasantly surprised at how these three pages've gone!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Yup, all for letting loose, mind-wise. All for being open to being called out on that too.

And for such an...odd topic...kinda pleasantly surprised at how these three pages've gone!

Are we talking about Hanks thread or that other weird one in AMT?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

=))

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I hope they do play it some day.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Are we talking about Hanks thread or that other weird one in AMT?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

=))
    :D

• Options
    edited September 2014
    hedonist said:

I guess I just don't get the point of bringing it up to begin with.

Why not petition (oy, enough with these things already!) for Ed not to twerk against Stone?

Or not to use autotune?

It strikes me as so far-fetched to expend such energy and thought on this. And it's not really your or anyone else's place. They've been pretty much a class act so far; I've no reason to think they'd compromise their music to something they wouldna't be proud of.

(but...have at it :D)
    for like the 5th time because there were several threads disappointed that Pearl Jam wasn't playing the Super Bowl, so instead of bombing their threads I made my own
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited September 2014
    derbydave said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
    BUT isn't the very next scene in the movie,
    AFTER Ed says he wouldn't lip sync for a video,
    The band doing that exact thing for the JEREMY video???
    That is correct. I love that transition in the movie.

Being that they licenced all their music to MLB last year, I think they'll probably do the Super Bowl at some point, and at this point it will do little if anything to detour how I feel about the band that's had more impact on my life than any other. There was a time I would have cared more, but now, whatever, life's too short.

The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl