Options

petition to show our support for Pearl Jam never whoring themselves out by playing at Super Bowl

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
the Super Bowl is corporate BS all the halftime acts lip sync and their instruments are not plugged in as mandated by the NFL, remember the RHCP new guitarist and Flea not even plugging in their instruments? Pearl Jam has way more class than to lip sync and have something previously recorded going through the PA, so please stop this nonsense of asking the band to compromise their principles by playing 2 pre-recorded songs, if they play the Super Bowl, unless the NFL changes it's policy, which will never happen, then I will lose massive respect for the band, real bands don't lip sync and pretend to play to something that is pre-recorded

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I think if Pearl Jam were to play the Stupor Bowl I would listen to nothing but blues, jazz, folk and classical music for at least a whole year. But I'm not worried 'cause no way that is going to happen, right? Right??
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I think if Pearl Jam were to play the Stupor Bowl I would listen to nothing but blues, jazz, folk and classical music for at least a whole year. But I'm not worried 'cause no way that is going to happen, right? Right??

yeah Brian I cannot imagine anyway the band would ever lip sync or get up on stage and try to represent that it is live when it isn't, it goes against everything they believe in, which is the jot of playing live together
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    I hope like hell they never do it, but with so many of their influences/peers having done it, I fear it could happen. Hopefully they follow Uncle Neil's lead.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options

I hope like hell they never do it, but with so many of their influences/peers having done it, I fear it could happen. Hopefully they follow Uncle Neil's lead.

+1 when in doubt ask Uncle Neil
  • Options

+1 when in doubt ask Uncle Neil
    That's right! :-bd
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    just was listening to this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i07fRWZrrEY
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    I don't know that Pearl Jam has the "mainstream appeal" to play the super bowl. That being said, if PJ were going to play a super bowl then I would lose no respect for them whatsoever. If they actually play their instruments then that's just a bonus. I'm not saying I would love it if they were to lip sync, but if I really want to see PJ then I'll go see PJ. The halftime show is hardly ever the main attraction of the Super Bowl. For many people it is less important than the game or the commercials.
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • Options

I don't know that Pearl Jam has the "mainstream appeal" to play the super bowl. That being said, if PJ were going to play a super bowl then I would lose no respect for them whatsoever. If they actually play their instruments then that's just a bonus. I'm not saying I would love it if they were to lip sync, but if I really want to see PJ then I'll go see PJ. The halftime show is hardly ever the main attraction of the Super Bowl. For many people it is less important than the game or the commercials.

yeah Eddie's attitude towards lip synching, I cannot seeing it ever happening
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    I wonder if American Bandstand was still around when Pearl Jam started. If they would have been on it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I wonder if American Bandstand was still around when Pearl Jam started. If they would have been on it.

if they didn't have to lip sync, remember on Pearl Jam Twenty when they asked him about making videos and he talked about making Alive and how you can't lip sync a song like that, and all they want to do is play live, there is nothing worse than pretending to play
  • Options

igotid88 said:

if they didn't have to lip sync, remember on Pearl Jam Twenty when they asked him about making videos and he talked about making Alive and how you can't lip sync a song like that, and all they want to do is play live, there is nothing worse than pretending to play
    Yeah, BBH, I can't see PJ lip syncing. Real bands don't lip sync and Pearl Jam is as real as it gets. :-D

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wait...have they been asked to do this, or is this a hypothetical no-whore petition?

As to the Peppers, they've proven themselves time and again more than capable of kicking live ass.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Wait...have they been asked to do this, or is this a hypothetical no-whore petition?

As to the Peppers, they've proven themselves time and again more than capable of kicking live ass.

A note from the band’s bassist, Flea, explained why the group chose to perform at the Super Bowl despite being told by the NFL that they would have to perform along with a backing track. Flea said that the band has only agreed to mime performances a handful of times over their thirty-year career. “We take our music playing seriously, it is a sacred thing for us, and anyone who has ever seen us in concert (like the night before the Super Bowl at the Barclays Center), knows that we play from our heart, we improvise spontaneously, take musical risks, and sweat blood at every show,” he said.

“When we were asked by the NFL and Bruno to play our song ‘Give It Away’ at the Super Bowl, it was made clear to us that the vocals would be live, but the bass, drums, and guitar would be pre-recorded. I understand the NFL’s stance on this, given they only have a few minutes to set up the stage, there a zillion things that could go wrong and ruin the sound for the folks watching in the stadium and the TV viewers. There was not any room for argument on this, the NFL does not want to risk their show being botched by bad sound, period,” Flea said.

that is Flea's side of the story and I did like RHCP with John Fruscante in the band, but not the same without him, and this is a hypothetical petition to support the band who I am sure have been contacted by the NFL to see if they would be interested at some point throughout the years, just to show that we support their decision not pretend to play using prerecorded music

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/red-hot-chili-peppers-fess-up-to-faking-it.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3AuBBpLjK
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    How are you sure? And if they have indeed been contacted and refused, doesn't that eliminate the need for a petition?

I don't mean to nit-pick but given this is a hypothetical...kind of a reach.

And Flea's more than a-OK in my book. Motherfucker plays a badass bass.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hedonist said:

How are you sure? And if they have indeed been contacted and refused, doesn't that eliminate the need for a petition?

I don't mean to nit-pick but given this is a hypothetical...kind of a reach.

And Flea's more than a-OK in my book. Motherfucker plays a badass bass.

well I keep seeing these stupid threads, and yeah I called them stupid, begging Pearl Jam to play the Super Bowl, and I want the guys to know that a lot of us are not cool with the idea of doing it to appease these fans, a lot of whom have not really thought this thing through, I mean you really want Mike McCready pretending to play Alive or Even Flow?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2014
    I doubt we have to petition this. I don't think they'd ever do that either way. Everyone sucks at the superbowl.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    loffy81loffy81 Posts: 153
    edited August 2014

that is Flea's side of the story and I did like RHCP with John Fruscante in the band, but not the same without him, and this is a hypothetical petition to support the band who I am sure have been contacted by the NFL to see if they would be interested at some point throughout the years, just to show that we support their decision not pretend to play using prerecorded music

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/red-hot-chili-peppers-fess-up-to-faking-it.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3AuBBpLjK

RHCP without John Frusciante are just RCP, They're still good ( any band with flea would have to be) but they're just not as hot. Oh yeah and no to the super bowl thing, it just doesn't seem like a Pearl Jam thing to do but if they did I'm sure they would do it properly.
    Post edited by loffy81 on
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    I would have no problem with them playing the Super Bowl, as long as it was on their terms in typical PJ fashion.

I'm sure that is the only way they would ever consider doing it, and that is enough to preclude them from it. I mean - could you see PJ doing a medley??? Hahahaha
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    edited August 2014
    Double post
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options

I would have no problem with them playing the Super Bowl, as long as it was on their terms in typical PJ fashion.

I'm sure that is the only way they would ever consider doing it, and that is enough to preclude them from it. I mean - could you see PJ doing a medley??? Hahahaha

they wouldn't be playing, I mean seriously they would be faking it, it is NFL policy that none of the instruments are turned on only the vocals would be live and Eddie would never do that to his band mates
  • Options
    When the Rolling Stones played Super Bowl XL didn't they play for real? Seems to me they did and they were great. That's the last S.B. half-time I remember enjoying. I don't see why all bands can't all play live.

Moot point however- I just can't imagine Pearl Jam at a football game. Now a quick PJ number during 7th inning stretch in a world series game- THAT would be excellent!

• Options
    brianlux said:

When the Rolling Stones played Super Bowl XL didn't they play for real? Seems to me they did and they were great. That's the last S.B. half-time I remember enjoying. I don't see why all bands can't all play live.

Moot point however- I just can't imagine Pearl Jam at a football game. Now a quick PJ number during 7th inning stretch in a world series game- THAT would be excellent!

yeah they play God Bless America during the 7th Inning stretch of the World Series games, can't really see Eddie singing that, lol
  • Options
    I just read that the NHL now wants to charge bands for the privilege of playing the superbowl, lmao.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I just read that the NHL now wants to charge bands for the privilege of playing the superbowl, lmao.

now if it was the NHL that would be different, lol, jk, yeah NFL is such a money making machine it is crazy, pay to pretend to play. that is awesome
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

now if it was the NHL that would be different, lol, jk, yeah NFL is such a money making machine it is crazy, pay to pretend to play. that is awesome
    There ya go- let's have Pearl Jam do a cover of Jethro Tull's "Skating Away" at half-time on the final game of the Stanley Cup... on ice skates!

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

There ya go- let's have Pearl Jam do a cover of Jethro Tull's "Skating Away" at half-time on the final game of the Stanley Cup... on ice skates!

no Brian, love that song, but no, well maybe if you gave me enough mushrooms, lol
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Lol, dammit. NFL! My Canadian is showing. :P
  • Options
    These late night threads get mighty interesting, LOL!

• Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    edited August 2014
    Not everything was lip synced. U2's performance clearly isn't, Bono sing's Beautiful Day way worse then on the CD track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPLKrktLSM
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Not everything was lip synced. U2's performance clearly isn't, Bono sing's Beautiful Day way worse then on the CD track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPLKrktLSM

no the music is pre-recorded! read the rest of the thread, when I quoted Flea he says the vocals are the only thing that are live
    “When we were asked by the NFL and Bruno to play our song ‘Give It Away’ at the Super Bowl, it was made clear to us that the vocals would be live, but the bass, drums, and guitar would be pre-recorded. I understand the NFL’s stance on this, given they only have a few minutes to set up the stage, there a zillion things that could go wrong and ruin the sound for the folks watching in the stadium and the TV viewers. There was not any room for argument on this, the NFL does not want to risk their show being botched by bad sound, period,” Flea said.