Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

lolobugg said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

You guys realize that the ONLY reason this DoJ report came out was because it was determined by EVERYBODY that Wilson was 100% justified in shooting Brown? That they had to go through that department with a fine tooth comb and note EVERYTHING that could be considered racist. Somebody had to "pay" for what happened to Brown even though what happened was 100% HIS FAULT.

If you dug through every organization in the country the way the feds dug into the FPD, my money would be on finding a couple racist people. Somebody had to take the fall.

This is highly sspeculative, and very dismissive of the issues they uncovered...regardless of why they went digging.
    They didn't just find "a couple racist people" they found a system-wide problem. Some people wonder why Brown didn't respect authority in Wilson, other people wonder how he could be expected to with such a racist system in place.
    So now you are blaming the police and civil society for Little Mikes actions? You hear that?? That's a fart in your general direction. Come on man!!!!
    I think more correctly he is blaming "cops" like you for creating an environment where young people are profiled and don't trust their "civil servants" to treat them like a human being.
    If he didn't trust them... then he should have been more careful with them.

This isn't a case of trust as much as it was a case of disregard.
    A good distinction, but arising from the same cause.

To be clear, MB ultimately owns his actions on that, but to act like there were no contributing factors isn't fair at all. Cops get to be fearful and trigger happy because of violence toward cops, but citizens can't be disrespectful and disregarding because of mistreatment by cops? Obvious double standard.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    rgambs said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

You guys realize that the ONLY reason this DoJ report came out was because it was determined by EVERYBODY that Wilson was 100% justified in shooting Brown? That they had to go through that department with a fine tooth comb and note EVERYTHING that could be considered racist. Somebody had to "pay" for what happened to Brown even though what happened was 100% HIS FAULT.

If you dug through every organization in the country the way the feds dug into the FPD, my money would be on finding a couple racist people. Somebody had to take the fall.

This is highly sspeculative, and very dismissive of the issues they uncovered...regardless of why they went digging.
    They didn't just find "a couple racist people" they found a system-wide problem. Some people wonder why Brown didn't respect authority in Wilson, other people wonder how he could be expected to with such a racist system in place.
    So now you are blaming the police and civil society for Little Mikes actions? You hear that?? That's a fart in your general direction. Come on man!!!!
    To a very small extent, yes. Very small.
    When you make your racist comments about the people who live in the ghetto, you get to blame your experiences there for your attitudes. When Brown shows a lack of respect for authority he doesn't get to blame his experiences in Ferguson for his attitudes?
    Explain please.
    I agree with you to a very small extent, like very very small. See, can can agree on some things rgambs...
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    JimmyV said:

dignin said:

And the more times I hear some here use the word "thug" the more I believe that they are using it contextually in a racist way.

The behavior exhibited in that convenience store is without doubt thug-like behavior. The color of Brown's skin is irrelevant to me. The racism charge is just flat wrong.

This,this ,this
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

JimmyV said:

fife said:

JimmyV said:

Michael Brown committed a crime minutes before his fatal meeting with the police officer. Arguing he was not a thug or that he had no criminal record seems to ignore that point. There are deep and legitimate problems with the police force in Ferguson, but from get-go Brown was a poor test case to rally around.

oh fuck, I am a thug too then as I once stole a bag of chips when i was younger. lets hope the next person who gets shot 6 times has done nothing wrong.

quick question, now that I am a thug am I also a no good oxygen thief too?
    If your behavior when you stole that bag of chips in any way resembled Michael Brown's on that convenience store video then you just might be a thug. I'm betting, however, that it didn't at all resemble that.

Exactly. I totally get the contempt the people of Ferguson have for their justice system. I'm glad the feds are there cleaning it up. It is clearly way past due. People certainly have valid grievances. They should protest, and they should talk about those things that need to be fixed. But they need to get off of the Michael Brown thing. It completely sabotages their position, and makes many of us unwilling to join their voices. Brown was a criminal. Brown was a punk. Brown wasn't an example of Ferguson PD gone wrong. Brown was an example of how to turn a routine stop into a deadly shooting by being an asshole. I'm glad Ferguson is going to see some changes. I wish Brown hadn't been their poster child.
    Another quality response Jeff.
  • Options
    Did everyone forget the young Mr.Brown tried to take an officers weapon? Can we please move on.If he wasn't a thug ,he was a stupid punk.Has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with attitude and actions.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

I think more correctly he is blaming "cops" like you for creating an environment where young people are profiled and don't trust their "civil servants" to treat them like a human being.

To be clear, MB ultimately owns his actions on that, but to act like there were no contributing factors isn't fair at all. Cops get to be fearful and trigger happy because of violence toward cops, but citizens can't be disrespectful and disregarding because of mistreatment by cops? Obvious double standard.
    Well sure... except for the fact that this particular citizen was disrespectful and disregarding after robbing a convenience store and essentially telling everybody to go stuff it up their ass when he ambled down the middle of the street ignoring a modest police request in the process (say nothing of the fight he provoked).

Why poke the bear thinking it will be patient with you poking it? As multiple people have said: when a cop demands my attention... they get it. What possible good can come from defying a police officer? What type of idiot thinks they can do as they wish ignoring a cop and the cop will simply go away? Is there an effective law force in the world that backs off enforcing the law when they encounter belligerence? Further, what type of idiot thinks getting into a fist fight with a cop and trying to grab their gun is a good plan?

The anti-establishment types would gain a lot of ground rallying around Tamir Rice or another case. Hanging their hats on this one- which really isn't one- makes them look ignorant to reality.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    JimmyV said:

Michael Brown committed a crime minutes before his fatal meeting with the police officer. Arguing he was not a thug or that he had no criminal record seems to ignore that point. There are deep and legitimate problems with the police force in Ferguson, but from get-go Brown was a poor test case to rally around.

while that may be true, and the video is very damning on that note, he was never charged, much less convicted. HE was never even accused . The cop had no knowledge that this was the guy in the store.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Well sure... except for the fact that this particular citizen was disrespectful and disregarding after robbing a convenience store and essentially telling everybody to go stuff it up their ass when he ambled down the middle of the street ignoring a modest police request in the process (say nothing of the fight he provoked).

Why poke the bear thinking it will be patient with you poking it? As multiple people have said: when a cop demands my attention... they get it. What possible good can come from defying a police officer? What type of idiot thinks they can do as they wish ignoring a cop and the cop will simply go away? Is there an effective law force in the world that backs off enforcing the law when they encounter belligerence? Further, what type of idiot thinks getting into a fist fight with a cop and trying to grab their gun is a good plan?

The anti-establishment types would gain a lot of ground rallying around Tamir Rice or another case. Hanging their hats on this one- which really isn't one- makes them look ignorant to reality.
    Yeah it was pretty fuckin stupid and it didn't end well for him...or anyone else for that matter.

Ditto on the Tamir Rice... Why Michael Brown? I guess the time and place were right for unrest. It makes sense to me that Ferguson is where it started, it doesn't make sense that it is where it continues.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

muskydan said:

rgambs said:

Yeah it was pretty fuckin stupid and it didn't end well for him...or anyone else for that matter.

Ditto on the Tamir Rice... Why Michael Brown? I guess the time and place were right for unrest. It makes sense to me that Ferguson is where it started, it doesn't make sense that it is where it continues.
    Like that last bit Gambs.
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I am glad the man was caught and I am very happy that it was locals who helped the cops find him. shows some class would you not say
  • Options
    fife said:

I am glad the man was caught and I am very happy that it was locals who helped the cops find him. shows some class would you not say

Absolutely. Shows some folks want to move forward with change. heres to hoping they themselves stay out of harms way from this snitches get snitches bs.

• Options

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mickeyrat said:
    If he wants any chance to live a normal life, he's going to have to change his name and move somewhere else.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    he can take mcculloch with him
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ..........o.k I 'll say it "SO WHAT !!!!!" if Michael Brown was a "young white male" we wouldn't be having this topic to drag a police officer thru the mud.

Godfather.
  • Options

..........o.k I 'll say it "SO WHAT !!!!!" if Michael Brown was a "young white male" we wouldn't be having this topic to drag a police officer thru the mud.

Godfather.

Exactly, because he would still be alive!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Godfather.

I think any skin color that- fresh off a store heist and middle of the street cool swagger- defies simple commands, assaults a cop, and tries to grab the cop's weapon might find themselves dead as well.

Show me a white guy in the same situation and I'll show you a dead white guy barring exceptional tolerance on the part of the cop.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

I think any skin color that- fresh off a store heist and middle of the street cool swagger- defies simple commands, assaults a cop, and tries to grab the cop's weapon might find themselves dead as well.

Show me a white guy in the same situation and I'll show you a dead white guy barring exceptional tolerance on the part of the cop.
    It was half in jest, but I think it's been proven on these boards that there are plenty of examples of young white men who have transgressed police just as badly and survived, finding examples of young black men who have transgressed to this level and survived would be pretty difficult.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    dig a little deeper, it's 8 out of 10 times that it's the black deaths from cops that get the media attention and they always say " a white police officer shot and killed a black person" or "a black person died while being detained by police"...it's just another sales pitch for the media, who's going to change the channel to see a white cop who killed a white man ? it just don't sell headlines
    bottom line a stupid kid who got into more than his share of truble fucked up and paid the ultimate price and as sad as it is that's what happened.

Godfather.
    Post edited by Godfather. on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    JC29856 said:

Musky (file this under cool story bro)
    A guy I know was messing with this cops girl. Cop put some program on her phone that recorded the texts. Word was it was graphic and obvious things were going down. Cop seemed like cool guy too, he supported the girl and her kid. Anyway, the "boys" were relentless on the guy to the point where he took up a complaint with the state police. Never heard the end result but the lesson was don't mess with a cops girl, don't mess with anyone's girl.

rr165892 said:

Did everyone forget the young Mr.Brown tried to take an officers weapon? Can we please move on..

Allegedly.

And think we don't just move on. Sweep it under the rug. Know it's convenient but oh well. Blacks get raw deal and yeah this guy was a dick. But doesn't keep this from being a problem.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

dig a little deeper, it's 8 out of 10 times that it's the black deaths from cops that get the media attention and they always say " a white police officer shot and killed a black person" or "a black person died while being detained by police"...it's just another sales pitch for the media, who's going to change the channel to see a white cop who killed a white man ? it just don't sell headlines
    bottom line a stupid kid who got into more than his share of truble fucked up and paid the ultimate price and as sad as it is that's what happened.

Godfather.

So the way I think of it is if you substituted black perp with white perp would outcome the same?

I think not.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,913
    It is a problem, and there are people who are being treated unfairly by police in this country. But we harm the chances of those people being taken seriously when we trump up an incident where a guy robs a convenience store and goes after a cop's gun. Michael Brown was and is a poor example of the problem.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Doubt it.
  • Options
    callen said:

Godfather.

So the way I think of it is if you substituted black perp with white perp would outcome the same?

I think not.
    you think ? there is no way if you crunch ALL the numbers you can really prove that, you guy's call me a FOX ...what ever, but listen to you..the same kind of media following as anyone else it's just a different network.

Godfather.

• Options
    callen said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Doubt it.
    I know you are but what am I.

Or...

Nah nah nah boo boo

Is this the argument you're looking for?

• Options
    JimmyV said:

It is a problem, and there are people who are being treated unfairly by police in this country. But we harm the chances of those people being taken seriously when we trump up an incident where a guy robs a convenience store and goes after a cop's gun. Michael Brown was and is a poor example of the problem.

Yes.

If this case is the one used to illustrate racial bias within police forces... then the case isn't very strong.
  • Options

callen said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Doubt it.

Or...

Nah nah nah boo boo

You gave your opinion and I countered with mine. Simple really.
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Doubt it.

Or...

Nah nah nah boo boo

You gave your opinion and I countered with mine. Simple really.
    Correct. Very simple.