Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961

The looting and rioting is nothing more than a bunch of thugs and criminals seizing a window of opportunity and be lawless under the guise of 'protesting'.

If I was a cop trying to deal with this guy... who by all accounts is massive and strong... and after already being defiant with me he makes a move towards me while we are in close proximity... I would hope I would have the courage to defend myself and not be overtaken only to have the gun stuffed up my ass with the 'gentle giant' pulling the trigger till it went click click.

From what I can tell by what I read... there definitely is an element of 'overkill' here that needs to be probed; however, it's fair to say the victim wasn't exactly coming back from the library after a night of studying.

What also needs to be said is the fact that although the cop may not have known Brown had just committed a felony, Brown knew he had... meaning: Brown had a much more intense mentality than the cop initially had in this situation- likely thinking he was being detained and about to be arrested. When people commit crimes and are in the last moments of their freedom... sometimes they resist and sometimes they resist with deadly force.

I don't disagree with any of that but the cop still murdered the kid...he was several feet away from the cop, on the ground, hands in the air, and at least six more shots were fired into his body.

Police are ALLOWED TO SHOOT PEOPLE. If one shot is justified, it doesn't matter how many more were fired. IF the officer felt his life or someone else's life was threatened, the number of shots it takes to take control of the situation isn't relevant. That said, it is wise to wait until the facts are released. To say he murdered the guy without the facts is a pretty bold presumption. IF it is found that the cop didn't need to discharge his weapon at all, then charges should be filed.
    Yes I realize that they are allowed to shoot people and I also realize that a shot or two may have been justified. More than one witness said that Brown was on the ground surrendering when 6 more shots were fired. Those weren't justified...that's murder

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    They are justified IF that's what it took to take control of the situation. Until the facts are released, you can't assume murder.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
    certainly a story thats needs reported on. However , the "news" needs to better report the facts and keep assumption and conjecture out of it.

I hope for the families sake, and honest and fair investigation is done and justice served. Whatever "big mike" may or may not have done, they still lost a son.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    What if it was ruled a justified shooting.The community will not allow that.So Isnt there pressure to prosecute truth be damned? These folks want blood
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

What if it was ruled a justified shooting.The community will not allow that.So Isnt there pressure to prosecute truth be damned? These folks want blood

community at large is really a seperate issue. This isnt bigger than justice(whatever that may be in the end) for the family. This DOES speak to problems that need addressed for sure ,
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916

JimmyV said:

W.M.A. on the St Louis set list October 3rd.

Yup. And then what song do they play for the asshole looters?
    Not For You?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    nice touch JimmyV

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rr165892 said:

Fortunately, idiot mobs that look for reasons to loot and burn their own town don't get to press charges.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

W.M.A. on the St Louis set list October 3rd.

Yup. And then what song do they play for the asshole looters?
    Not For You?

That's perfect.Niceee
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Only thing I'll add is that I wouldnt want either person living in my neighborhood. One is a thug who holds up convenience stores and the other seems to be a jumpy cop who probably emptied his gun while pissing his pants.

What a combo.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat said:

certainly a story thats needs reported on. However , the "news" needs to better report the facts and keep assumption and conjecture out of it.

I hope for the families sake, and honest and fair investigation is done and justice served. Whatever "big mike" may or may not have done, they still lost a son.

very true,well said Micky

Godfather.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    holy crap, the curfew seems to be working.

either that or the thunderstorm, but at any rate, it looks like we might have a little peace around here tonight.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    well that didn't last long. my facebook feed just blew up saying the cops are going to clear the streets of ferguson right now... turn on the local news and the cops are putting on gasmasks....

facepalm...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,714

well that didn't last long. my facebook feed just blew up saying the cops are going to clear the streets of ferguson right now... turn on the local news and the cops are putting on gasmasks....

facepalm...

Holy crap, man! Be safe out there. Keep us posted!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    thanks man. i am safe. sounds like there was a shooting at the protest last night and the guy could die from it. they said the tear gas was to clear the crowd so that responders could get to the victim.

i have spent a lot of time thinking about this.

the family and the protesters and the local news have framed this kid as an angel and a gentle giant. the police released a video of the kid strongarm robbing a gas station 11 minutes before he was shot. that is not something an angel does. that is something that a thug does. know what he stole? a box of cigarillos. what is he going to do with those besides roll blunts? all i am saying is this is a media battle more than anything else. yeah the kid roughed up a store owner. this is not a capital offense, and it did not warrant him being shot, but the kid was not an angel and he should have been arrested for his crime. also, the kid had an attitude problem. who walks down the middle of the street in traffic in broad daylight? an asshole does. who mouths off back to a cop when a cop asks them, or tells them, to get off the street and onto the sidewalk? an asshole does.

did the cop overreact? from what i have seen, yes.
    should the cop be arrested and charged pending the investigation? yes.
    should the protesters stop looting and fucking up their own community? yes.

everyone just needs to chill out until more info is released. it doesn't help when people from as far away as texas are traveling here to participate in mayhem.

i am all for justice, but at this point i am more for peace.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

everyone just needs to chill out until more info is released. it doesn't help when people from as far away as texas are traveling here to participate in mayhem.

I'm for both, if there is a way.

To your first point, absolutely.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hey gimmietruth,

if i am correct the zoo is in north st. louis. where is ferguson (ferguson is north?) from the zoo?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    i was just thinking yesterday that folks from around the country will be traveling to st. louis for their chance at participating in this chaos.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

hey gimmietruth,

if i am correct the zoo is in north st. louis. where is ferguson (ferguson is north?) from the zoo?

highway 64/40 runs right through the middle of the city. it separates north city from south city. the zoo is in forest park, and the zoo is located at the corner of hwy 64/40 and hampton. it is right on the highway. so technically it is in "north city". but it is in a good part of north city. the northern border of forest park is forest park parkway, and that is still a really nice area. the eastern border for forest park is barnes-jewish and children's hospitals, where i work.

the areas right around the zoo are really nice. the further north you go, like taking highway 70, which runs north of the city, is where you start getting into really bad parts. south city is a nice old area. all of the cool stuff that happens usually happens right downtown near the arch and busch stadium and in south city. south city has a lot of the old historic neighborhoods and restaurants and local neighborhood bars. if i were to live downtown i would live in south city. but come mardi gras season south city is pretty crazy for a couple of weeks. there is much more and much more severe crime in north city, but you just have to kind of know where to avoid.

ferguson is northwest of the zoo. it is about 10 miles caddicorner to the zoo. maybe less. i will look for a map and see if i can find something to give you a better visual.

• Options

ok, the zoo is located pretty much just under the L where it says st louis. pretty much between that period and the L.

anything north of hwy 70 but just south of 270 is a pretty sketchy area.

for anyone interested, the concert venue is pretty much directly under the S in Louis, just off of highway 64.

• Options
    thank you, sir. very nice

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,714
    hedonist said:

I'm for both, if there is a way.

To your first point, absolutely.

Same feelings here.

Too much reacting, not enough fact finding/keeping a level head. I hope things settle down in your town, gimme.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I'm tired of hearing about these dumb-ass's, maybe they should teach their children better and less crap like this would happen.

Godfather.
  • Options

I'm tired of hearing about these dumb-ass's, maybe they should teach their children better and less crap like this would happen.

Godfather.

In a lot of cases, people are quick to point the finger, but not so eager to look in the mirror.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Not sure if this is from the DOJ's autopsy (guess they didn't have much confidence in the initial one?), but it appears the six shots weren't fired into his back.

Wondering how this will turn the tide if at all.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Saturday Morning thought: live by the sword...die by the sword.....at the end of the day who is right ? was this shooting justified ? or was this cop at a breaking point brought upon him by the actions of his victim ?...arn't you glad it was not you who pulled the trigger..... or caught the bullit, maybe it would be best if we did not put ourselfs in a position to be one or the other.

Godfather.

Always liked that saying and it seems to fit in this case.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited August 2014

These people are morons

Who's these people? If blacks they feel desperate and unrepresented.

Think many here have no clue how it must feel to be in a car with few of your black buddies pulled over by a single white cop. They are not treated as you and or I would.

Rightly or wrongly I should add.

Always thought as young lad racism would be better by now but humans like to remain in their herds. Sad.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    hedonist said:

Not sure if this is from the DOJ's autopsy (guess they didn't have much confidence in the initial one?), but it appears the six shots weren't fired into his back.

I've never heard that he was shot while running away. The witnesses said he turned toward the officer with his hands up and was shot several times.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

hedonist said:

I've never heard that he was shot while running away. The witnesses said he turned toward the officer with his hands up and was shot several times.

Thought I'd initially heard he'd been shot in the back, though I haven't been following this all that closely.