Is It Unhealthy?

joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
I was just wondering if i was alone in being the only person on earth who listens to strictly only Pearl Jam music? They have everything i like in music. If i want solitude and peace its Lowlight. For anger Blood. Love,Just Breathe. Funk,Rats. Rap,Dirty Frank. It just goes on and on. I think this might be a healthy problem,lol.

Comments

• Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    I'm about 90-95% Pearl Jam. Not much else does it for me in the same way PJ does...
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Listen to what you want. I listen to a lot of PJ, but Fugazi, Pixies, Misfits, The Cramps, Talking Heads, Poster Children, the Seattle list . . . I listen to a lot of the bands that influenced the bands that I listen to and some just because I like them. Just enjoy what you listen to. That's what is most important. :D
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Unhealthy, nope (guess health is relative) - though me, I really need all genres, all bands, all composers, the music that's part of me - which goes way, way beyond PJ.

Still, last two sentences of the person up there? There you go.
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited August 2014
    help me.
    I have been chained and locked into my f*cking straight jacket or to this straight jacket
    drooling out of my face
    in five seconds
    I am considering
    I am strongly considering using this brick wall
    I am going to run my face down the entire length of it
    it's that course brick
    mm hmm
    im just going to run the entire length of it down the entire length of my face
    when I get to down at the corner
    that sharp edge where one direction meets the other
    I'm gonna be a bloody mess
    I'm getting five ladders and gluing them together like a dr suess book
    hammer them together and rub somebody's pointed crack up and down against the edge of this wall
    then for somebody's next act or mine
    I'm going to brush my teeth with the bricks
    I am going to pick my nose with a brick
    then it's time for another one
    every pearl jam poster on my walls or brick walls
    every scratched skipped crackling vinyl pile
    ready
    every scratched up CD
    PJ CD
    will be ground down in a blender
    poured into a cement mixer
    mortar added
    building my next f*king wall
    and somebody's pointed ass will be wiped all over it like the other one
    Somebody's ass, teeth, face will be brushed on it
    for fun I'm gonna bounce my head off of it
    for kicks the tree next to it
    I'm gonna put a bungee cord up on the top of it and swing head first into this wall
    I'm gonna climb to the top of this wall with my six or seventeen ladders dr. suess nailed together and I'm going to dive face-first into a boiling cup of coffee
    or a boiling cup of ground glass
    would you like a cup?

Post edited by rollings on
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    Not unhealthy, but there's so much other good music out there you're missing out on.
    When I was a kid first discovering PJ, 92/93, they were the only thing I cared about, let alone listened to.
    These days though I listen to lots of stuff. PJ's great, but diversity is the spice of life.
    Of course, to each their own.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Rollings is on a roll image

I do not think it is unhealthy. I had a phase like that too. But it has changed. I love all kinds of music, and there is tons of amazing stuff out there. Diversity is the spice of life - well said.
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I'd say its been the one constant in my life.
    Nature drunk and High
  • PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    I try to listen to other bands every once in a while, but I always go back to PJ.
    I listen to PJ all day every day. I can never get enough.

Have a huge collection of music and love so many other bands too, but none of them can do the same to me as PJ. It's more than just music. It's a spiritual thing.

Everybody thinks I'm mad, but I don't care.
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Not unhealthy, but there's so much other good music out there you're missing out on.
    When I was a kid first discovering PJ, 92/93, they were the only thing I cared about, let alone listened to.
    These days though I listen to lots of stuff. PJ's great, but diversity is the spice of life.
    Of course, to each their own.

Couldn't have said it better

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I am actually trying to make my way through the book "1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die"
    I'm actually finding lots of good music, I had never had a chance to listen too.

and fyi - Ten is on the list.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    it doesnt matter..its your choice
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    FOR GOD SAKES no :D
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,691
    For me in the last year its been about 90% PJ with the other 10% Leonard Cohen.
    Kearnsy
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Listen to what you want. I would say though that you are missing out on other great music. Hopefully you still get out to see other bands live.
  • narnianarnia Posts: 635
    I thought that was normal LOL! I listen to PJ on my iPod going to and from work, I listen to XM PJ Radio in my car, and 10C PJ Radio on my computer when I'm home - if I'm not watching a PJ video!
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Not unhealthy at all ! I think there are so many people who listen to PJ all day long and i am one of them ! As Pernille said : "It's more than just music. It's a spiritual thing." She's so right !! it's a state of mind, of mood...even a way of life ! I think PJ, totally get in this PJ thing...infected !!! ;-)...
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    When I discovered PJ, they were all I ever listened to. I branched back out and haven't actually listened to them in a while. (Ok...maybe Wembley 2000 a few days ago) I just fear that one day I may grow tired of them so i try to keep it fresh.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    I listen to a lot of PJ. other stuff too but a LOT of PJ
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    I can't comment on whether its healthy or not, but I go through periods of obsessive PJ listening, but mostly listen to something different every day. Been that way for a very long time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,846
    I used to listen to them a lot more then than now. It kind of goes in waves for me, a few months with very little, then a week or so of nothing but them.

But nothing but them ever? There's too many other good artist's out there, though PJ is #1 of course.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    tcadd94 said:

When I discovered PJ, they were all I ever listened to. I branched back out and haven't actually listened to them in a while. (Ok...maybe Wembley 2000 a few days ago) I just fear that one day I may grow tired of them so i try to keep it fresh.

It has probably been about 8 years since I listened to Pearl Jam consistently. I love the live shows, but I think I burned myself out after listening to them so much for the first 8 years.
  • Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    MedozK said:

I am actually trying to make my way through the book "1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die"
    I'm actually finding lots of good music, I had never had a chance to listen too.

and fyi - Ten is on the list.

I found that book at Goodwill for $1 a while back. I am doing the same exercise. I have heard a surprising number of them already but definitely have many to go. Good luck on your journey.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Listen to some Soundgarden
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited August 2014
    it's kinda like eating the same thing everyday...
    if you are into that, then go for it, but
    you are missing out on A LOT of great music
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133

Listen to some Soundgarden

www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    I wouldn't say it's unhealthy. Whatever makes you happy.... But wow, there is so much great music out there besides PJ that I also feel like anyone who sticks to only one band is really missing out on a lot of awesomeness.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,139
    I agree with the rest. No big deal at all if that's how you roll, but you're denying yourself the growth that occurs when you expand and try new things.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Is PJ all you see live, too? Because if so, you're missing out on a lot of great experiences. I have PJ on Sirius in my car all the time and listen to a lot of PJ while just noodling around at home, but in the past few months I've seen a bunch of live shows ranging from Bryan Ferry to California Guitar Trio. Try expanding a little - I bet you'll like it, and if not, PJ is there to go back to.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    rollings said:

help me.
    I have been chained and locked into my f*cking straight jacket or to this straight jacket
    drooling out of my face
    in five seconds
    I am considering
    I am strongly considering using this brick wall
    I am going to run my face down the entire length of it
    it's that course brick
    mm hmm
    im just going to run the entire length of it down the entire length of my face
    when I get to down at the corner
    that sharp edge where one direction meets the other
    I'm gonna be a bloody mess
    I'm getting five ladders and gluing them together like a dr suess book
    hammer them together and rub somebody's pointed crack up and down against the edge of this wall
    then for somebody's next act or mine
    I'm going to brush my teeth with the bricks
    I am going to pick my nose with a brick
    then it's time for another one
    every pearl jam poster on my walls or brick walls
    every scratched skipped crackling vinyl pile
    ready
    every scratched up CD
    PJ CD
    will be ground down in a blender
    poured into a cement mixer
    mortar added
    building my next f*king wall
    and somebody's pointed ass will be wiped all over it like the other one
    Somebody's ass, teeth, face will be brushed on it
    for fun I'm gonna bounce my head off of it
    for kicks the tree next to it
    I'm gonna put a bungee cord up on the top of it and swing head first into this wall
    I'm gonna climb to the top of this wall with my six or seventeen ladders dr. suess nailed together and I'm going to dive face-first into a boiling cup of coffee
    or a boiling cup of ground glass
    would you like a cup?

Yes sir.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    Very, very unhealthy.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com