Options

Thank you PJ fans for understanding about major depression.

13»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Thank you, norm, for reminding us that we have a thread here to talk about depression rather than on the R.I.P. Chris thread.  I talked a little about depression on a Cornell thread on another forum and was told to "f off" and "get the f off here" for doing so.  He was probably right- my talking about depression would have been better kept on a depression thread- but man, that harsh admonishment did not exactly improve my mood today. He could have just put it matter of fact without the attack.   I'm glad most people here are far more tactful and compassionate.  This place is the best.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    brianlux said:
    Thank you, norm, for reminding us that we have a thread here to talk about depression rather than on the R.I.P. Chris thread.  I talked a little about depression on a Cornell thread on another forum and was told to "f off" and "get the f off here" for doing so.  He was probably right- my talking about depression would have been better kept on a depression thread- but man, that harsh admonishment did not exactly improve my mood today. He could have just put it matter of fact without the attack.   I'm glad most people here are far more tactful and compassionate.  This place is the best.

vent when and where needed!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    The stigma regarding talking about depression needs to be broken. Depression is horribly crippling and devastating. 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    brianlux said:
    F off!

Sorry, had to. :tongue:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    F off!

Sorry, had to. :tongue:
    Aww shucks...

.. but made me laugh Hobbes! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Hobbes!!! Always good for a laugh. :hug:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    The stigma regarding talking about depression needs to be broken. Depression is horribly crippling and devastating. 
    I couldn't agree more!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Love the Tiger.

(he's GRRReat!)

If I've posted this before, fuck it and sorry.

I went through some medically-induced deep and dark depression years ago, and still hit those lows on occasion for various reasons, though nowhere near the level many others here and all over have experienced.

Not sure if those closest to me at the time got it - got me - but I am thankful I was able to get through it.

My heart breaks for those who couldn't climb that goddamn huge fucking mountain, for whatever reason - for their own reasons - and hurting.

Some burdens can be so draining, and while I can't see myself going there, I can understand wanting to be done with pain, no matter the kind of pain.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    PJSiren said:
    Mental illness is no joke at all. I was diagnose with bipolar in 2012. Treated for depression prior to that. I live with a demon every day...I am medicated so I do alright most of the time...but there are times when I struggle. I've told people I'm bipolar and proud and some have told me that's not something to be proud of...but what they don't understand is that I'm not proud of the disease/demons, I'm proud that I have fought those demons for 34 years and am still here.

This is definitely an important thread to keep bumping!
    Right on. I'm diagnosed bipolar II for seven years. When I'm down, it's scary. But on days like this, I can look back and think, "I don't know how but I'm still around"
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    brianlux said:
    You're very welcome.  :)

I don't venture into general population here much but I especially don't at times like these. I'm assuming the porch is just a bad hockey fight.  :s

And I have no words for people telling you to fuck off.  :frowning:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    mfc2006 said:
    I couldn't agree more!
    Absolutely. 
  • Options
    Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    There is something to be said about psychiatric medications, including those for Parkinson's Disease and such, which affect our neurotransmitters.  They can alter our thoughts in ways not intended by the meds, especially in those with mental health difficulties - I believe they can truly lead some individuals to perform actions they would normally not engage in under different circumstances.   I was prescribed a prescription for Neurontin to help reduce anxiety and help sleep.   It was a low dose and I took one pill.  The first time I took it I had crazy thoughts and fortunately still had the sense to call my husband who talked me down.   Doctors have no clue how each individual will react to medications.  For the most part, most individuals don't have a problem.  But those with hypersensitive systems can be taken for a ride.  So much of it includes our genetics, that modern medicine is just learning about.   I don't bring this up as an excuse, but to hope that others realize there are so many factors involved when an individual takes their own life - I don't feel it is fair to comment that someone was selfish in their thoughts or had a choice without knowing all of their history and genetics.   I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with difficult thoughts on a daily basis and trying to find the right help to manage them -  I believe hormones play a big role.  There is not a simple solution to mental health issues - otherwise there would be fewer suicides, fewer homicides and less terrorism.  If a person was able to be rational during times of mental anguish, they would likely call someone for help - the fact that they don't or are unable to supports the fact that the individual is not capable of making rational decisions at that time.    I comment on this post today, because the passing of Chris Cornell brought back thoughts of Robin Williams.   I believe in both cases that incredibly talented individuals reacted unusually to medications that can have devastating consequences.   Sadly, we lost them both to efforts which were trying to help them stabilize their minds - the same minds that gave us such incredible entertainment and joy.   RIP.
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • Options
    Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Angelbear said:
    There is something to be said about psychiatric medications, including those for Parkinson's Disease and such, which affect our neurotransmitters.  They can alter our thoughts in ways not intended by the meds, especially in those with mental health difficulties - I believe they can truly lead some individuals to perform actions they would normally not engage in under different circumstances.   I was prescribed a prescription for Neurontin to help reduce anxiety and help sleep.   It was a low dose and I took one pill.  The first time I took it I had crazy thoughts and fortunately still had the sense to call my husband who talked me down.   Doctors have no clue how each individual will react to medications.  For the most part, most individuals don't have a problem.  But those with hypersensitive systems can be taken for a ride.  So much of it includes our genetics, that modern medicine is just learning about.   I don't bring this up as an excuse, but to hope that others realize there are so many factors involved when an individual takes their own life - I don't feel it is fair to comment that someone was selfish in their thoughts or had a choice without knowing all of their history and genetics.   I can only imagine how exhausting it must be to deal with difficult thoughts on a daily basis and trying to find the right help to manage them -  I believe hormones play a big role.  There is not a simple solution to mental health issues - otherwise there would be fewer suicides, fewer homicides and less terrorism.  If a person was able to be rational during times of mental anguish, they would likely call someone for help - the fact that they don't or are unable to supports the fact that the individual is not capable of making rational decisions at that time.    I comment on this post today, because the passing of Chris Cornell brought back thoughts of Robin Williams.   I believe in both cases that incredibly talented individuals reacted unusually to medications that can have devastating consequences.   Sadly, we lost them both to efforts which were trying to help them stabilize their minds - the same minds that gave us such incredible entertainment and joy.   RIP.
    Fantastic post. That was brilliant. And you're right on the money.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16