Options

Mike McCready to perform with the Seattle Symphony Jan 30th '15

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,841
edited January 2023 in The Porch
http://www.guerrillacandy.com/2014/08/06/mike-mccready-to-perform-with-the-seattle-symphony/

By Travis Hay

Mike McCready‘s guitar sounds will be getting symphonic next year when he joins the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya Hall on Jan. 3o.

McCready will be a special guest for the Sonic Evolution series. The series, curated by the symphony’s music director Ludovic “Ludo” Morlot, are semi-regular concerts that celebrate Seattle’s musical legacy by pairing the symphony with notable local pop, hip-hop and rock musicians. Ludo’s most recent Sonic Evolution concert received national attention by bringing the symphony together with Sir Mix A Lot for an orchestral performance of “Baby Got Back.”

According to promotional materials for the next edition of Sonic Evolution, the evening will feature “brand-new symphonic compositions inspired by musical icons Pearl Jam, Nirvana and more.” (Personally, I really hope the “and more” involves Mark Arm joining Mike and the symphony onstage for a classy rendition of “Touch Me I’m Sick.”) Ticket prices for the Jan. 30 performance range between $20 and $50 and can be purchased here.

Of course this won’t be the first time McCready has joined Ludo onstage. In 2012 he performed with the maestro at the Chihuly Boathouse as part of a fundraiser for the Seattle Symphony. And McCready isn’t a stranger to the stage at Benaroya Hall either. That same year he joined Bradi Carlile onstage during her performance with the symphony and way back in 2003 Pearl Jam played a special acoustic concert at the venue to raise funds for Youth Cares.
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    Awesome!

Mike is quite an upgrade over Sir Mix A Lot. Even if baby got back. :-)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    damn, I wish I lived closer

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    JimmyV said:

Awesome!

Mike is quite an upgrade over Sir Mix A Lot. Even if baby got back. :-)

Hell yes he is!
    I watched that Baby Got Back performance on You Tube about 5 times and laughed at the crowd participation portion.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    This sounds awesome, do they usually release a cd or anything of these performances?
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I hope it's music Mr McCready has written. That would be better than if he played someone else's arrangement of other people's music.

:)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    OMG this has always been something I wished for...hopefully a recording is made somehow. I know this is not a Metallica page here but one of my favorites is that double cd with a symphony
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I Love the Metallica DVD have watched it many times. The sir mix a lot one was on you tube in clips (never searched for the whole thing) would believe sir mike will be visible on the web too.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,470

OMG this has always been something I wished for...hopefully a recording is made somehow. I know this is not a Metallica page here but one of my favorites is that double cd with a symphony

I have that cd...I always liked it, haven't heard it in awhile might have to give it a listen sometime in the near future
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    jlbuschjlbusch Posts: 54
    Thanks for posting...Got Tix!
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

This sounds awesome, do they usually release a cd or anything of these performances?

I'm not sure but I'm hope so. A blu-ray release would be sweet! O:-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    http://www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony/buy/single/selectseat.aspx?id=15711&src=t

Join the Seattle Symphony for a one-of-a-kind concert that celebrates Seattle’s musical legacy of innovation with brand-new symphonic compositions inspired by musical icons Pearl Jam, Nirvana and others. PLUS! Mike McCready from Pearl Jam performs with the Symphony - don't miss it. Jan. 30, 2015 8:00 PM
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    Photo from Ethan O.

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up - just got tix!
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,833
    yeah mike rip it bro.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    this is great. good on mike.
    symphonies are struggling a bit these days and this is another great way to introduce a lot of people who normally wouldn't go to that kind of music. i can say this...the jerry one, with warren was nothing short of being completely mind blowing
  • Options
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-to-join-pearl-jam-guitarist-mike-mccready-for-performance-with-seattle-symphony/

DUFF MCKAGAN To Join PEARL JAM Guitarist MIKE MCCREADY For Performance With SEATTLE SYMPHONY

Duff McKagan (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER) has revealed to VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner that he will join Mike McCready for the PEARL JAM guitarist's performance with the Seattle Symphony in January at Seattle's Benaroya Hall.

McCready will be taking part in a series called "Sonic Evolution", which is being curated by the orchestra's music director Ludovic Morlot. The series brings musicians from local pop, rock and hip-hop acts together with the symphony to collaborate and create different perspectives on the music itself.

The January 30 performance starring McCready and the Seattle Symphony will feature orchestral versions of songs from acts like PEARL JAM, NIRVANA and other Seattle bands that defined the "grunge" era of the early '90s.

McKagan told VH1 Radio Network: "You know, I think I'm doing that gig with him. I didn't even know that was announced yet. He had brought something up about it a couple months ago and I'm pretty tight with Mike, we've been good buddies since we were about 16 or so. So it might be him and I and Barrett Martin of SCREAMING TREES, MAD SEASON and WALKING PAPERS."

The most recent concert in the series found the symphony playing an orchestral rendition of "Baby Got Back" with rapper Sir Mix-A-Lot.

PEARL JAM will hit the road this fall for a 12-city tour that will include the band's appearance at the Austin City Limits festival in Texas. The trek kicks off on October 1 in Cincinnati, wrapping up on October 22 in Denver.

The band is still promoting its 10th studio album, "Lightning Bolt", which came out last year.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-to-join-pearl-jam-guitarist-mike-mccready-for-performance-with-seattle-symphony/#sysOru1ZFYHwoVRp.99
  • Options
    Bump!! :) From 10club's latest newsletter ..

Sonic Evolution with Mike McCready and Special Guests

On January 30th, Mike will perform with the Seattle Symphony as part of their Sonic Evolution series. Symphony Conductor Ludovic Morlot enlisted Mike to write a unique piece of work that is being arranged by Scott Teske for symphonic performance.

http://www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony/buy/single/production.aspx?id=15710&src=t

http://ludovicmorlot.com/

In addition to the original piece, Mike will also perform some songs from his past with some very special guests. Stay tuned for an official announcement on December 15th!
  • Options
    Tickets bought!
  • Options
    TFT Pearl Jam @twofeetthick20m
    Mad Season (@MikeMcCreadyPJ & Barrett Martin w/ @chriscornell, @DuffMcKagan) to perform w/ @seattlesymphony on 1/30: seattlesymphony.org/symphony/buy/s…
  • Options
    http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/22559/mike_mccready_and_barrett_martin_resurrect_mad_season_and_perform_live_with_chris_cornell_duff_mckagan_&_the_seattle_symphony_mccready_also_performs_original_symphonic_work

Mike McCready and Barrett Martin Resurrect Mad Season and perform live with Chris Cornell, Duff McKagan & the Seattle Symphony; McCready also performs original symphonic work.
    December 15 2014

On Friday, January 30th, 2015 at 8pm, Mike McCready will join Ludovic Morlot and the Seattle Symphony for a special Cross-genre concert presentation “Sonic Evolution”.

The concert features the world premiere and Seattle Symphony commission of Waking the Horizon, a symphonic work by Mike McCready (arranged by Scott Teske).

Joining Ludovic Morlot, the Symphony, and members of Vocalpoint! Seattle on stage, McCready will perform during the piece. Ludovic commented during a recent score reading with McCready: “With this collaboration we are both coming out of our normal comfort zones. This is an incredible opportunity to learn from one another and give ourselves a chance to grow as artists.”

Mike McCready will also perform with supergroup Mad Season, including original drummer Barrett Martin. The star studded line up will also include iconic Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell and Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan. Ludovic Morlot will lead guest musicians and the Seattle Symphony in a debut performance of orchestral and solo arrangements of original Mad Season works.

Tickets
    Concert tickets start at $50 and may be purchased at www.seattlesymphony.org, by calling the Seattle Symphony Ticket Office at (206) 215-4747, or by visiting the Ticket Office in Benaroya Hall. Ten Club will not be selling tickets to this event.

Full program notes, audio samples, artist biographies and additional information can be found by visiting www.seattlesymphony.org.
  • Options
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornell-duff-mckagan-mad-season-reunion-20141215

Chris Cornell, Duff McKagan to Join Reunited Mad Season
    The grunge supergroup, which also features Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees members, will perform next month with Seattle Symphony

By Kory Grow | December 15, 2014

The grunge supergroup Mad Season, which put out their sole album Above in 1995, will reunite next year for a performance with the Seattle Symphony. Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell will fill in for the group's singer – Alice in Chains frontman Layne Staley, who died in 2002 following battles with addiction – while former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan will sit in for the band's bassist – Walkabouts member John Baker Saunders, who died of a heroin overdose in 1999. The rest of the original lineup – Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready and Screaming Trees drummer Barrett Martin – is confirmed to play the event.

The performance is part of the Seattle Symphony's "Sonic Evolution" series, which pays tribute to the city's musical past. The first half of the program will feature French composer Yann Robin's Nirvana-inspired "Ashes," Angelique Poteat's Pearl Jam–inspired "Beyond Much Difference" and McCready's own "Walking the Horizon," which was arranged by Scott Teske. The guitarist will perform with the symphony during the latter piece.

Mad Season will then perform after an intermission. The Symphony's conductor, Ludovic Morlot, will lead the band, the symphony and members of Seattle's Vocalpoint! ensemble in special arrangements of the Mad Season songs "River of Deceit," "I Don't Know Anything" and "Long Gone Day."

The "Sonic Evolution" Program will take place on January 30th. Tickets are available on the symphony's website.

Last year, Mad Season reissued Above as a deluxe reissue with DVD concert film, unreleased tracks and the band's unfinished second LP. Among those songs was the previously unreleased song "Locomotive."

McCready previously made an appearance on the 2012 self-titled debut of Walking Papers, a group that features both McKagan and Martin.

In March 2013, McCready told Billboard that he'd formed an unnamed, new group with McKagan and Martin and that the trio wrote music together while finishing up demos for Mad Season's unfinished sophomore release. "We are trying to find something to do with those," the guitarist said at the time. "We're talking to Jaz [Coleman] from Killing Joke and I've been trying to find some singers to work on some of that stuff."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornell-duff-mckagan-mad-season-reunion-20141215#ixzz3M0nHjjEi

• Options
    Mike McCready ‏@MikeMcCreadyPJ

Excited to announce that Matt Cameron will join me on "Waking the Horizon" the original piece I wrote for @seattlesymphony Jan 30th event.
  • Options
    This sure is gonna be something very VERY big!!! ;)

10414441_10153030302377485_2951181476091818856_n.jpg?oh=c2448c8c093ee66fbd7070a4704ff770&oe=5521338A

• Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I take it as a very good omen that EV was on the sidelines of the Seahawks game last week. Telling that he's back in Seattle, and not in Hawaii. 3 slots...so Stone, Jeff, Eddie....mix in a Temple encore?!!!!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    I'm going hungry...

Scored a ticket this morning, should be a fun show.
  • Options
    So... is the thread where we beg for tickets? :)
    I need one. Willing to pay above face value...
    I also have some posters and vinyl for possible trades?
    150xxx 36 shows 7 Bridge Schools 3 Eddies
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    strange that 4 additional special guests were announced here: http://www.alternativenation.net/mad-season-rehearse-pearl-jam-headquarters/
    "Mad Season is pleased to announce that Jeff Angell from Walking Papers, singer Kim Virant, guitarist Tim DiJulio, and saxophonist Skerik will also be joining us on stage as they add their own unique contributions to the Mad Season songs."
    All other hints point to Ed/Jeff/Stone -- is it possible they aren't playing?
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    With all due respect to those 4, I am highly doubtful they warrant consideration as special guests on that poster. Given that they went to the trouble to re-print that poster with the blank slots, I would tend to think the surprise guests will carry more weight.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    ^^ (stupid null) I agree. They definitely have my eyes an ears open. This could end up being one hell of a show!