Police abuse

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

The Student President Of Georgia Tech's Pride Alliance Was Shot And Killed By A Campus Police Officer

No commentary, but yet you post this in the police abuse thread? Do you have an opinion? I don't see abuse here. It seems clear this is a suicide by cop. Nice hot topic headline though. That will get the clicks for buzzfeed.

With that said, I am wondering what type of equipment those officers carry and if they have tasers. In situations like this, it's not uncommon to have a secondary officer with taser and the main contact with gun drawn. All of us could play what if here I guess. Maybe the officer could have done some more talking to try and dissuade the behavior.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    tbergs said:

The Student President Of Georgia Tech's Pride Alliance Was Shot And Killed By A Campus Police Officer

No commentary, but yet you post this in the police abuse thread? Do you have an opinion? I don't see abuse here. It seems clear this is a suicide by cop. Nice hot topic headline though. That will get the clicks for buzzfeed.

With that said, I am wondering what type of equipment those officers carry and if they have tasers. In situations like this, it's not uncommon to have a secondary officer with taser and the main contact with gun drawn. All of us could play what if here I guess. Maybe the officer could have done some more talking to try and dissuade the behavior.
    It shouldn't need to be said again, but I guess it does. There are significantly more effective ways for the police to deal with situations like this that don't end in death. They require better training and a totally different mindset, and its negligence that they aren't being employed. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    tbergs said:

It shouldn't need to be said again, but I guess it does. There are significantly more effective ways for the police to deal with situations like this that don't end in death. They require better training and a totally different mindset, and its negligence that they aren't being employed. 
    My commentary is similar to the above poster. It's a shame that this person had to die. Where were the tasers? Where was common sense? Was this police officer seriously afraid of this particular person wielding a pocket knife? If so than maybe being a police officer isn't the right vocation for him.
    There has to be a way to change the situation to avoid the "suicide by cop".
    Better and different training could help along with a different mindset.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_591c9070e4b03b485cae1129/amp

Although @Thirty Bills Unpaid scoffs at this idea with great contempt, had this campus officer been trained in SLC, this kid would be alive, getting counseling.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    tbergs said:

My commentary is similar to the above poster. It's a shame that this person had to die. Where were the tasers? Where was common sense? Was this police officer seriously afraid of this particular person wielding a pocket knife? If so than maybe being a police officer isn't the right vocation for him.
    Agreed. We can all look at this and analyze the many different ways this could have and should have ended. As it stands, is this police abuse or police who are inefficiently trained to handle a dynamic situation? I personally can think of several ways I would have attempted to handle that situation better before ever needing to shoot, but that's my opinion and maybe it would or wouldn't have worked. None of us can predict the potential behavior of an unstable person who has a knife. Being the student president of the pride alliance has no significance in the matter. It's like the media is trying to paint this as a bias shooting based on sexual orientation. Quit peddling bullshit and stick to the story. They couldn't use race so this was the next best attention grabber.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    tbergs said:

but the original report said the person had a knife and a gun. they refused to drop the knife. do you want to let someone reportedly who has a gun to continue to come at you?  can you make that distinction when your in the line of fire?  
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed. We can all look at this and analyze the many different ways this could have and should have ended. As it stands, is this police abuse or police who are inefficiently trained to handle a dynamic situation? I personally can think of several ways I would have attempted to handle that situation better before ever needing to shoot, but that's my opinion and maybe it would or wouldn't have worked. None of us can predict the potential behavior of an unstable person who has a knife. Being the student president of the pride alliance has no significance in the matter. It's like the media is trying to paint this as a bias shooting based on sexual orientation. Quit peddling bullshit and stick to the story. They couldn't use race so this was the next best attention grabber.
    I didn't get the impression they media was trying to paint this as an attack in sexual orientation, but rather to show that this was an engaged, involved, and humanitarian-oriented university student, rather than a "criminal". 

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

but the original report said the person had a knife and a gun. they refused to drop the knife. do you want to let someone reportedly who has a gun to continue to come at you?  can you make that distinction when your in the line of fire?  
    My guess is that the officer could clearly see that this person did not have a gun. Reported or not. If he could not see this then maybe he needs to have his eyes examined.
    If the kid did indeed have a gun in his hand and was threatening people then I don't blame the office for the outcome.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

"...the student, allegedly carrying a knife, "would not comply with the officers’ commands."

"Schultz continued to advance on the officers with the knife," the statement read. An officer then fired, according to the statement."

I see nothing wrong with that story, at least to the point where it belongs in the police abuse thread.

The video shows them asking him to drop the knife for over a minute. Shows him approaching one officer and a female voiced yelled out one last time "drop it." I cant tell from the video, but it sounded like the cop being approached was a female cop, and you expect her to wrestle a guy to the ground with a knife?

Even if it was a make cop I wouldn't expect that.

It is a sad story, and sad it ended this way and sad he didn't get help before this incident. But I place zero blame on the cops.

pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

My guess is that the officer could clearly see that this person did not have a gun. Reported or not. If he could not see this then maybe he needs to have his eyes examined.
    If the kid did indeed have a gun in his hand and was threatening people then I don't blame the office for the outcome.
    This was not some 12-year-old "kid" with a toy gun.
    A 4th year student, so that makes him probably 22. When is he not a "kid" anymore? Many rookie cops are that age too, or younger.
    Not that 22 makes a big difference, but thats just an example the picture the media and others are trying to paint on a story like this to make the cops out to be bad. 
    Knives can kill just like a gun. He approaching after over a minute of asking to put down the knife, the cops have a right to protect themselves.
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

what with x-ray vision? how could they tell, after it was reported the person had a gun, that the gun wasn't concealed on the victim?   if someone told you someone had a gun that wasn't out in the open would you really trust that said person didn't have one?  come on your stretching it if you say yes
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

what with x-ray vision? how could they tell, after it was reported the person had a gun, that the gun wasn't concealed on the victim?   if someone told you someone had a gun that wasn't out in the open would you really trust that said person didn't have one?  come on your stretching it if you say yes
    What I thought too. Especially if they were reported to have a knife and a gun, and they are clearly wielding a knife, I wouldn't assume they isn't a gun just because I can't see it.
    But its all a mute point anyway. He had a knife. Knives are deadly.
    He was asked for over a minute on video to drop said knife (and who knows for how long before the video started).
    He approached the officers with the knife in his hand.

And yet, the media titles are still going to spread this like a homophobic hate murder.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    moot
    sorry, pet peeve
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

What I thought too. Especially if they were reported to have a knife and a gun, and they are clearly wielding a knife, I wouldn't assume they isn't a gun just because I can't see it.
    He was asked for over a minute on video to drop said knife (and who knows for how long before the video started).

And yet, the media titles are still going to spread this like a homophobic hate murder.
    I'll just come back to my point - properly trained police officers know how to deal with the situation, and it isn't just repeatedly commanding "drop the knife", and then shooting the guy. You think Canadian cops don't face individuals with knives or other potential weapons fairly frequently? They do; they just typically respond differently, and shoot fewer people. 
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

I didn't get the impression they media was trying to paint this as an attack in sexual orientation, but rather to show that this was an engaged, involved, and humanitarian-oriented university student, rather than a "criminal". 

When it comes to shootings involving the police, the media either ignores it, reports it as is (local interest only) or takes advantage of some non-related factor to the shooting for national attention and sensationalism. If they were so set on making sure people knew about the deceased then they could have added "Suicidal Student President Of Georgia Tech's Pride Alliance Displaying a Knife Was Shot And Killed By A Campus Police Officer. That would truly put the situation in to perspective for anyone just perusing headlines. You don't need to defend the media here. They are purposely jading the view before anyone even reads the story. If you want to go that route then they should provide a brief bio about the officer as well so people know her societal impact outside of wearing a uniform.
  • It's one thing to get shot at a road side stop when you've done nothing other than pull over as requested... it's another to get shot as you act like a lunatic.

Here's the pragmatic item to the situation that nobody has stated succinctly yet: if you don't want to get shot... don't arm yourself with a knife, threaten people with it, ignore the police when they tell you to drop it, and advance on armed officers with their guns drawn.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited September 2017
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

I'll just come back to my point - properly trained police officers know how to deal with the situation, and it isn't just repeatedly commanding "drop the knife", and then shooting the guy. You think Canadian cops don't face individuals with knives or other potential weapons fairly frequently? They do; they just typically respond differently, and shoot fewer people. 
    According to WaPo there were 111 shootings by police of people armed with knives in 2016. The Guardian says the number is 159. A pretty big difference, but at least we have an idea of the statistics. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere in any data that indicates how many encounters police have with people wielding knives, which would at least provide some perspective to how frequently it ends in a fatal shooting. 

Now for Canada, I found it virtually impossible to figure out what the numbers even are just for shootings in general. I'm sure it is lower because of the obvious fact of the general population difference, 320+ million in the US compared to 36+ million in Canada.

https://news.vice.com/article/its-impossible-to-find-out-exactly-how-many-people-are-shot-by-cops-in-canada

I do continue to agree with you on the training aspect because law enforcement definitely needs training, training and more training, but let's be a little less quick to call it abuse just because a cop shot somebody.
    It's one thing to get shot at a road side stop when you've done nothing other than pull over as requested... it's another to get shot as you act like a lunatic.

Here's the pragmatic item to the situation that nobody has stated succinctly yet: if you don't want to get shot... don't arm yourself with a knife, threaten people with it, ignore the police when they tell you to drop it, and advance on armed officers with their guns drawn.
    To add to that, people are arguing on behalf of someone who was trying to be killed and decided arming themselves and advancing on police was how they were going to handle it. I think it's kind of fucked up we spend so much time worrying about someone who was trying to be killed and has most likely emotionally damaged the officers who had to deal with the situation, the officer who fired the fatal shot, anyone who witnessed it and those who knew anyone involved. Sorry, if you don't want to live anymore, kill yourself and spare everyone else from going through the fucking circus show. Call me cold, but you won't get my sympathy. 
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

According to WaPo there were 111 shootings by police of people armed with knives in 2016. The Guardian says the number is 159. A pretty big difference, but at least we have an idea of the statistics. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere in any data that indicates how many encounters police have with people wielding knives, which would at least provide some perspective to how frequently it ends in a fatal shooting. 

Now for Canada, I found it virtually impossible to figure out what the numbers even are just for shootings in general. I'm sure it is lower because of the obvious fact of the general population difference, 320+ million in the US compared to 36+ million in Canada.

https://news.vice.com/article/its-impossible-to-find-out-exactly-how-many-people-are-shot-by-cops-in-canada

I do continue to agree with you on the training aspect because law enforcement definitely needs training, training and more training, but let's be a little less quick to call it abuse just because a cop shot somebody.
    I didn't call it abuse. I said that if the officers are not being trained appropriately in methods to deal with these situations then the departments are negligent, because there's no way to argue that there aren't well recognized methods out there to handle these situations, which are not particularly rare. 

And for those who say "just don't do it and you won't be shot" - that's so totally ridiculous as to not even justify a response, but for the sake of it, most people who engage in these behaviours ("suicide by cop") are pretty desperate, aren't thinking particularly clearly, and may indeed have their own death as a goal. That doesn't mean that the police should be willing participants in that. Emergency services intervene in suicide attempts many times a day; this is just one form of that. 

• tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

I didn't call it abuse. I said that if the officers are not being trained appropriately in methods to deal with these situations then the departments are negligent, because there's no way to argue that there aren't well recognized methods out there to handle these situations, which are not particularly rare. 

And for those who say "just don't do it and you won't be shot" - that's so totally ridiculous as to not even justify a response, but for the sake of it, most people who engage in these behaviours ("suicide by cop") are pretty desperate, aren't thinking particularly clearly, and may indeed have their own death as a goal. That doesn't mean that the police should be willing participants in that. Emergency services intervene in suicide attempts many times a day; this is just one form of that. 

Lol

Mmm Hmm. There you have it. The poor and desperate person crosses path with eager cop ready to accommodate.

Read tberg's post. He's been a moderate on this topic for as long as I can recall. You're so busy crucifying the cop and their 'poor' tactics... you haven't even stopped to think for a second how traumatic that incident might have been for them and how they might be dealing with that right now and in the future.

It is too bad that someone would get to that point in their life where they do something like this... but the result is hardly the fault of the officer placed in that situation.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Lol

Mmm Hmm. There you have it. The poor and desperate person crosses path with eager cop ready to accommodate.

Read tberg's post. He's been a moderate on this topic for as long as I can recall. You're so busy crucifying the cop and their 'poor' tactics... you haven't even stopped to think for a second how traumatic that incident might have been for them and how they might be dealing with that right now and in the future.

It is too bad that someone would get to that point in their life where they do something like this... but the result is hardly the fault of the officer placed in that situation.
    I think you need to read often's post again.
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Lol

And you're too busy excusing every police action to stop and think for a second that if the officer had better training and tools, they wouldn't be having to deal with the trauma of shooting a young man to death.
    Nobody is crucifying this cop, enough with the hysterics.

This isn't abuse, it's systemic failure.
    Failure to properly train and equip officers for de-escalation tactics is more of an effect, not cause.
    The cause of these failures is a police culture which doesn't value de-escalation, a culture with an "us against them" attitude to the core.  Perhaps you remember Muskydan's ridiculous "us against them" rhetoric?
    It's also caused by a failure of our society, by harbouring a "with them or against them" attitude that allows for so little analysis and critique of police behaviour as to essentially give them absolute impunity. 
    Yes, we are Monday morning quarterbacking, that's what rational beings in a civilized society do.
    They analyze important events after the fact and they make determinations as to which judgements made in the moment were correct and effective, and which ones were wrong and ineffective or destructive, that way they can make improvements to systems and methods to get better results.
    I don't know what you do, but can you imagine how quickly your "industry" would fall apart if your judgement (and all your associates') was suddenly beyond reproach?? 
    Your attempts to stifle that rational discourse are not helping anyone.  They aren't helping police and they aren't helping police victims, they just aren't helping society at all.  
    Until we admit that we CAN do better, we have no chance of making steps forward. 

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    old news but relevant:

Cop fired for not shooting armed suicidal suspect
    "Such restraint should be praised not penalized. To tell a police officer -- when in doubt -- either shoot to kill or get fired, is a choice that no police officer should ever have to make and is a message that is wrong and should never be sent," said his attorney, Timothy O'Brien.

Cops are no longer trained to protect and serve.  They are trained to view everything as a threat to be neutralized.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Lol

I think you need to read often's post again.
    Done.

This line: most people who engage in these behaviours ("suicide by cop") are pretty desperate, aren't thinking particularly clearly, and may indeed have their own death as a goal. That doesn't mean that the police should be willing participants in that... was the one that irked me a bit.

'Willing participants'? Really? From my way of thinking they could just as easy be 'reluctant participants', but it's never framed that way from the hyper critics (or noted for that matter).
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

except most suicide attempts have little to no inherent danger to the emergency services personnel. this case did. the person had a knife and reportedly a gun and was approaching officers even after being warned several times to stop.  in this particular case what exactly do you think the police should have done?  nothing? retreat? buy the person a cup of coffee? 
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

except most suicide attempts have little to no inherent danger to the emergency services personnel. this case did. the person had a knife and reportedly a gun and was approaching officers even after being warned several times to stop.  in this particular case what exactly do you think the police should have done?  nothing? retreat? buy the person a cup of coffee? 
    They did what they were trained to do.
    Shoot to kill.
    What they could have done is a different story.
    I've posted it several times (much to Thirty's chagrin I'm sure), but nobody has been interested.
    The Salt Lake City implemented a training program that runs through levels of force and de-escalation tactics.
    In this case, if talking to the citizen was not proving effective, they likely would have given ground and attempted to subdue with taser before resorting to firing a service pistol.
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Shoot to kill.
    I've posted it several times (much to Thirty's chagrin I'm sure), but nobody has been interested.
    The Salt Lake City implemented a training program that runs through levels of force and de-escalation tactics.
    In this case, if talking to the citizen was not proving effective, they likely would have given ground and attempted to subdue with taser before resorting to firing a service pistol.
    were they equipped with tasers? if so i agree that would have been a better option. given ground i'm not sure was much of an option. it looked like a tight area.
    pjhawks said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Shoot to kill.
    were they equipped with tasers? if so i agree that would have been a better option. given ground i'm not sure was much of an option. it looked like a tight area.
    Why wouldn't they be equipped with tasers?
    What kind of smart policy and training would exclude the most effective non-lethal tool for controlling a threatening citizen??

edited September 2017
    CM189191 said:
    old news but relevant:

Cop fired for not shooting armed suicidal suspect
    "Such restraint should be praised not penalized. To tell a police officer -- when in doubt -- either shoot to kill or get fired, is a choice that no police officer should ever have to make and is a message that is wrong and should never be sent," said his attorney, Timothy O'Brien.

Cops are no longer trained to protect and serve.  They are trained to view everything as a threat to be neutralized.  
    So you really want cops firing their weapon when they don't intend to kill? That seems like a whole new level of a can of worms to me.
    The whole point of shoot to kill (and yes, some will argue its shoot center mass, but thats basically the same thing) is two very simple reasons.
    1- Never fire your weapon unless you intend to kill someone
    2- Dont intend to kill someone unless you fear for your or someone else's safety

And I guess you could add a third of
    3-if you are truly afraid for your life, I wouldnt want anything less than lethal force. Police have a right to protect themselves just like everyone else. Tasers dont always stop a guy with a knife. Especially someone on drugs, and they dont know the situation. 

That's it. You bring in shoot to injure in the picture, then the next conversation is going to be "well I was aiming for his leg as he ran away, but missed and nailed him in the back. Sorry you're paralyzed for life now."
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Shoot to kill.
    Why wouldn't they be equipped with tasers?
    What kind of smart policy and training would exclude the most effective non-lethal tool for controlling a threatening citizen??

lack of funding maybe?  sure as hell not every cop carries a taser as far as i know.