Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    That is so messed up.  I guess we can assume the Somali policeman just panicked and shot her.  That they were still in the car kind of explains why the bodycams weren't on.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    That is so messed up.  I guess we can assume the Somali policeman just panicked and shot her.  That they were still in the car kind of explains why the bodycams weren't on.
    Any particular reason you refer to his nationality? I'm guessing if he were American you wouldn't have referred to him as 'the American policeman'?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Maybe that has something to do with it.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    Maybe that has something to do with it.
    This is a wet dream scenario for you.
  • Options
    A wet dream would have been police not killing citizens, you go ahead and apologize for the cop though.

It isn't far fetched.  Every time a white cop shoots a black kid we hear the cries of racism.

What's to say this pretty blonde, that was in her pajamas, didn't accidentally flash mr. sharia some skin?  Triggered.  No more unrealistic that that racist white cop that permeates the ranks according to the inner city.
  • Options
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    unsung said:
    A wet dream would have been police not killing citizens, you go ahead and apologize for the cop though.

It isn't far fetched.  Every time a white cop shoots a black kid we hear the cries of racism.

What's to say this pretty blonde, that was in her pajamas, didn't accidentally flash mr. sharia some skin?  Triggered.  No more unrealistic that that racist white cop that permeates the ranks according to the inner city.
    I'm confused at what your stance is. You put down cop defenders, but then dismiss the idea of cop racism too.
    I've believed that the racism issue has been blown way out of proportion. However, do beleieve cops make mistakes and accidents happen and there are some bad ones. I also believe for every inciedent that makes headline news, there are hundreds of thousands of police encounters every day that end peacefully, so the whole abuse idea in general is blown out of perspective, and isn't the epidemic the media portrays it to be. That doesn't mean cops shouldn't be held accountable and take steps to improve their training.
    my guess is thisnbeing a white victim there will be non riots and protests over her, and in a week her name will be forgotten.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    this headline is misleading
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    edited July 2017
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    That is some serious Islamophobic racism right there.
    Congrats
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    Congrats
    Impossible.  Islam is not a race.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    Any particular reason you refer to his nationality? I'm guessing if he were American you wouldn't have referred to him as 'the American policeman'?
    One was American and one was Somali.....I referred to the Somali

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    unsung said:

I'm confused at what your stance is. You put down cop defenders, but then dismiss the idea of cop racism too.
    I've believed that the racism issue has been blown way out of proportion. However, do beleieve cops make mistakes and accidents happen and there are some bad ones. I also believe for every inciedent that makes headline news, there are hundreds of thousands of police encounters every day that end peacefully, so the whole abuse idea in general is blown out of perspective, and isn't the epidemic the media portrays it to be. That doesn't mean cops shouldn't be held accountable and take steps to improve their training.
    my guess is thisnbeing a white victim there will be non riots and protests over her, and in a week her name will be forgotten.
    I am sorry that I confused you.

My point being is that people are quick to blame racism as a possibility but some on this thread have claimed religion as an impossibility.

They probably never thought an Army guy would shoot up a military base due to religion either.
  • Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with racism or religion.  I think it relates to an inexperienced officer.  

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I don't think it has anything to do with racism or religion.  I think it relates to an inexperienced officer.  
    Agreed. The problem is that everything gets immediately connected to some sort of specific factor instead of it just being human error. She's white, so it can't be about race, but they can still jump on the "police are murdering people in the streets" bandwagon and then there are those who take the other extreme and make it about him being a Somalian officer who was flashed some skin (disgusting train of thought, really bad). Our city would be total chaos right now if this had been an unarmed black male with no video or audio. The governor would be calling for justice.

As Mace has stated, this really is a no win situation. They're damned if they prosecute and damned if they don't. The singular thinking and portrayal of these incidents by the media (and partially by social media accounts) has created this nonexistent fear and crisis of violent and out of control police. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Agreed. The problem is that everything gets immediately connected to some sort of specific factor instead of it just being human error. She's white, so it can't be about race, but they can still jump on the "police are murdering people in the streets" bandwagon and then there are those who take the other extreme and make it about him being a Somalian officer who was flashed some skin (disgusting train of thought, really bad). Our city would be total chaos right now if this had been an unarmed black male with no video or audio. The governor would be calling for justice.

As Mace has stated, this really is a no win situation. They're damned if they prosecute and damned if they don't. The singular thinking and portrayal of these incidents by the media (and partially by social media accounts) has created this nonexistent fear and crisis of violent and out of control police. 
    Non-existent? Tell that to the families of the victims of police violence. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

Do you fear for your life every time you drive a car?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    Congrats
    You're right. Islam is not a race.
    But we all know that if the officer involved had been a white guy named Patrick O'flannery you would not be calling him "Mr. Jus Canonicum"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited July 2017
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    Congrats
    I think we all understand the difference dude. FWIW, white, black, Asian, etc aren't "races" either. They're ethnicities. The only race is the human race. So since the term "racism" is already completely inaccurate, how about we stop bothering to correct people every they call Islamophobia or xenophobia racism? We all know what the person who said it means I think.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

Do you fear for your life every time you drive a car?
    What does that have to do with my comment?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    Congrats
    I think we all understand the difference dude. FWIW, white, black, Asian, etc aren't "races" either. They're ethnicities. The only race is the human race. So since the term "racism" is already completely inaccurate, how about we stop bothering to correct people every they call Islamophobia or xenophobia racism? We all know what the person who said it means I think.
    Fine.  A goldfish, a largemouth bass, and a Great White are all fish, but I know which I don't want to go swimming with.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited July 2017
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    Congrats
    Fine.  A goldfish, a largemouth bass, and a Great White are all fish, but I know which I don't want to go swimming with.
    Ha, wow.  I know what you meant to convey (and that's bad enough) but the delivery is... I don't even have a word for it.  Shocking, but I'm not shocked. 

You managed to evoke thoughts of "white only" swimming pools, the racist stereotype of the violent brutish person of color, and the racist desire to identify non-white humans as a separate species in a single sentence.
    I don't think you meant to convey any of those things, but perhaps you are spending too much time on white supremacist media sources if this is the language that comes naturally to your tongue.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Because I don't want to associate with a particular group is that not my right?  Or do you disagree with me because I am white, Catholic, and male?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    unsung said:
    Because I don't want to associate with a particular group is that not my right?  Or do you disagree with me because I am white, Catholic, and male?
    It's your "right", but that doesn't mean it's based on anything other than discrimination, hatred and/or fear. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

"Mr. Sharia'?
    Congrats
    :tired_face: 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsung said:
    It's your "right", but that doesn't mean it's based on anything other than discrimination, hatred and/or fear. 
    My great uncle, who escaped a concentration camp and fought the nazis, used to tell me that people discriminating against other people was more often than not based solely on fear, hate, ignorance, and jealousy.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    Maybe try worrying about whether something is right instead of if you have the right, for a change.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I don't want to drag this off topic but...

• Options
  • Options
    unsung said:
    I don't want to drag this off topic but...

I will admit there is some truth to this. I just don't see what it has to do with this thread.
This discussion has been closed.