Help framing a poster

willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
Hey all

I really want to frame my Norway 2014 Viking poster 12x36

My problem is all the frames I'm finding are 11 3/4 x 36. I purchased one in hopes that it would work but had to return the frame. Too small.

Anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a true 12x36

Thanks

Comments

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    The odd size posters usually call for a custom frame or even cutting a small matte to get it up to one of the standard frame sizes!!
    The best advice I can give you is to take your poster to a local frame shop, I avoid the big box retail stores like Michael's & Hobby Lobby because their prices are way too high!!
    Tell them what your budget is for the frame job & they should be able to help you get the most for your money!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Hello,
    I ran into a similar problem with the 2009 Toronto print - 14.5 x 24 - I ordered a frame and double matting from AmericanFrame.com . I had it shipped to a legit storage facility in downtown Buffalo. I'll make a trip down there every three - four months; order the frame a few weeks before I plan to make the trip. I'm west of Toronto, so the drive is about an hour for me; if you're in Ottawa this may not be a practical option for you. I've never had AmericanFrame.com ship anything across the border because the import/duty fees are ridiculous - I got burned 15 years ago by an unrelated purchase - never again :) I'd rather make the drive. It's very rare that the border patrollers make me pay when crossing back into Canada - I'm honest with them - as I've been out of the country for under a half-an-hour. I've been buying 18x24 frames from Deserres.ca as they have a 'discontinued' sale on the their wood gallery frames. These frames are nothing special, but at the moment they're more practical for me than dropping $200 or more on a custom framing job. Good luck with your search.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Ya, ask the Hoff to frame it for you. Where the fuck u at chris??? Been a long time since you've posted man!
  • binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    I had the same problems with mine ones. So I went to a carpenter in my town. And he did it for me. Just try this!
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Make sure the print does not touch the glass.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    DavidD said:

Did you have an issue in the past?

Thanks all for the advice.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

DavidD said:

Did you have an issue in the past?

Thanks all for the advice.
    It's just a general rule when framing your posters & prints to leave a little space
    between the glass & the print.
    Leaving this space will keep the artwork from sticking to the glass & damaging the print.
    This can be caused by changes in temperature & humidity in the room.
    A simple matte will do the job or you can find "spacers" at your framing shop.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Awesome thanks!!!

I found this frame ...

I think it will look killer with this print ...
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I haven't framed a poster, but have used American Frame and thought they were beyond good. Very reasonable priced compared to a shop. I was impressed with how well the packed the frame and glass for shipping. I've seen turntables that were shipped and not packed that well.