Options

***The Official Come to Ireland and Scotland in 2015***

mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
No real reason other than I'd love to travel there. They seem underrepresented as of late. I remember taking a train from Edinburgh to Manchester for the 2009 show, and the whole train was seemingly full of Scottish PJ fans.

...Treat it like a Canadian tour, stop off at some smaller towns, say:

Dublin
Cork
Belfast
Galway

Glasgow
Aberdeen
Edinburgh
Dundee

Eddie can get his surf on in Ireland, he can meet up with Glen Hansard on his home turf, and maybe play a three night run atop the Edinburgh castle.

Here's to hoping...
1992-07-21 Vancouver
1993-9-4 Vancouver
1996-9-16 Seattle
1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
2000-11-6 Seattle
2001-10-22 Seattle
2002 -12-09 Seattle
2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2

Comments

• Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    THis is a great idea. Pj would love galway.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Cork is better...
  • Options
    alfordchamp1alfordchamp1 Aberdeen, UK Posts: 17
    Bout time the made their way back to Scotland. Wouldn't be surprised if the next time they were here was to headline T in the Park as a regular tour date hasn't happened since Glasgow in '00.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Fully support this!!! Dublin please but Cork be grand either :D
  • Options
    stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    I'm in for this!
    Fantasy land; Cork, Galway, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff (Wales deserves some P.J. too!) /Fantasy land

And now to put on my Buzz Killington hat;
    Realistically, Dublin's O2 and Belfast's Odyssey Arena are the only 2 ready-made venues on this island that it'd be financially worth PJ doing gigs in. It'd be great to see them do the Marquee in Cork or in a tent elsewhere, but the tour overheads and cost wouldn't allow it. Of course though, there are stadiums around the country where they could play like Springsteen did last summer.

They could totally do an Irish/U.K. arena tour and make it work financially...
    -O2 Dublin x 2 (their last gig there sold out in 5 minutes)
    -Belfast Odyssey Arena
    -Glasgow Hydro
    -Manchester's M.E.N. Arena
    -Leeds First Direct Arena
    -Cardiff Motorpoint Arena
    -O2 London x 2

9 dates, mostly guaranteed sell-outs, I'd be completely happy with that line-up!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    I highly doubt they would ever come to Galway but in keeping with the fantasy it would be cool if they played Pearse Stadium.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Acknowledging it's a complete fantasy...but at the same time, a few of the 2005 Canada shows had similar populations and stadium sizes to Galway. For example, St. John's Newfoundland has a 100,000 pop and Mile One Centre 7,000 capacity / Thunder Bay has 109,000 pop and the Fort Williams Gardens only holds 4,600.

Both Cork and Galway seem to have comparable populations, and football stadiums that could host nearly twice that.

....and yeah, get Wales in on this too!

It seems like when the band really gets behind a destination, they'll make it work financially. If you work in a few larger shows as Stankratz has suggested, Manchester, London, (I hear Liverpool wants a show!) then it could certainly work in theory.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Cork
  • Options
    foursymbolsfoursymbols Dublin Posts: 526
    I fully endorse this thread :-bd
    'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    stankratz said:

I'm in for this!
    Fantasy land; Cork, Galway, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff (Wales deserves some P.J. too!) /Fantasy land

And now to put on my Buzz Killington hat;
    Realistically, Dublin's O2 and Belfast's Odyssey Arena are the only 2 ready-made venues on this island that it'd be financially worth PJ doing gigs in. It'd be great to see them do the Marquee in Cork or in a tent elsewhere, but the tour overheads and cost wouldn't allow it. Of course though, there are stadiums around the country where they could play like Springsteen did last summer.

They could totally do an Irish/U.K. arena tour and make it work financially...
    -O2 Dublin x 2 (their last gig there sold out in 5 minutes)
    -Belfast Odyssey Arena
    -Glasgow Hydro
    -Manchester's M.E.N. Arena
    -Leeds First Direct Arena
    -Cardiff Motorpoint Arena
    -O2 London x 2

9 dates, mostly guaranteed sell-outs, I'd be completely happy with that line-up!

I would each and every one, BUT don't forget they have just been to the Uk, and the world is a big place. The band don't tour as much as they used to, they all have commitments, and their families will come first - they earned that much.

And this tour missed spain, Portugal, France got one festival, there was no love for Denmark, Czech, or Ireland .......before there was a UK tour Im sure a tour would need to focus on the whole of Europe. I hope Im wrong of course, for purely my own reasons - seeing 9 shows in the UK would be stunning....
  • Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    I might go back to Ireland for a few PJ shows. I loved what I saw of their country. Nicest people I have ever met. I loved Galway too. I could see myself living there. I went to the rugby stadium but that's not Pearse Stadium is it? I was thinking there was another one.

I met a guy on a tour in Seattle in December from there as well. Another super nice guy. I can't say enough nice things about the place.

Cork was fun too but not as cool as Galway. I think I had a glass of Jameson, Middleton or a beer in my hand the whole time I was in Cork.
  • Options
    rangers72rangers72 lockerbie.uk Posts: 141
    i would love to see them play Glasgow barrowlands.cant see them doing any more than 4 or 5 uk and Ireland shows.