Options

Wrigley...one year later

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015

Rain

I got rained on at Alpine
    I got rained on at Wrigley
    I got rained on at the last Bridge shows I was at....

I CANT WAIT FOR MOLINE AND MILWAUKEE!!!!!!!!

:)>-

Remind me not to go to the show that you attend...

:D
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    It was seriously the hottest day I have ever experienced. We skipped the merch line because of the heat, but ended up at a great preparty with lots of awesome friends. The night before at the Slugger's was fantastic too. We stepped outside for a quick smoke and suddenly heard Off He Goes from the soundcheck, it was so cool.
    We spent the delay next to the trash compactor, which was a good spot, not too crowded and with a breeze coming in. In could have lived without the walk through a transvestite bar quarter in the middle of the night and these overcrowded trains afterwards, but I am still happy we went and had a blast :D
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited July 2014
    I actually didn't mind the rain delay at all. For me it was part of the magic. And then that post storm sky in the middle.of the night with PJ at Wrigley... Amazing!!!! For me the crazy storm and delay and the show in the dead of night made the show MORE special.... The ONLY thing that kept this show from being the best it could be were the fucking wimpy whiners who are apparently grown ups who can't stay up past midnight without turning into babies. I couldn't believe how little stamina and patience people had. If it hadn't been for their whiny bitch asses it would have been a perfect show, rain delay, train ride at 3:30am, and all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJ_Soul said:

I actually didn't mind the rain delay at all. For me it was part of the magic. And then that post storm sky in the middle.of the night with PJ at Wrigley... Amazing!!!! For me the crazy storm and delay and the show in the dead of night made the show MORE special.... The ONLY thing that kept this show from being the best it could be were the fucking wimpy whiners who are apparently grown ups who can't stay up past midnight without turning into babies. I couldn't believe how little stamina and patience people had. If it hadn't been for their whiny bitch asses it would have been a perfect show, rain delay, train ride at 3:30am, and all.

Proud of my old man. His first PJ show and we never left our seats, not even during the rain delay. Didn't even call or text to let my mom know he was gonna be late coming home.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    PJ_Soul said:

Exactly. I think the show night was the earliest I went to bed the whole trip. I was thinking The Who at Woodstock or Isle of Wight the closer it was getting to 2:00 am. I loved it.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    This thread is awesome. More pics please! :-bd
  • Options

This thread is awesome. More pics please! :-bd

Ok...

Getting close to show time image

getting close to show time (part II - after delay)

and another empty GA that is soon to be filled again
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Release Me

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    edited July 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

I was still good at 2:00am. I would have been perfectly fine at 3:00am if they played the 8 songs they crossed out too! ;)
    Post edited by jason_94 on
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    edited July 2014
    jason_94 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I was still good at 2:00am. I would have been perfectly fine at 3:00am if they played the 8 songs they crosses out too! ;)
    Agreed. It had become such a marathon by 2am. I was good for another few miles. I do clearly remember being disappointed when Eddie said they only had five more minutes. We could've kept going.

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    more pics!
    For us that were not there.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited July 2014
    I didnt mind at all the rain..the delay....i was lucky enough to have a ride at 3am back to my hotel..
    the nightmare would be if they cancel it..it would be sad to do such long trip from Greece and cancel the show ...the rest didnt matter..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    The heat, the merchandise line, the massive crowd, the rain/lightning, the venue, setlist, etc. all made for a "once in a lifetime" experience. I wouldn't even complain about the 13 hour standby delay at O'Hare after the concert. Each made for a crucial piece of the puzzle that was a unique show. I flew back to Chicago a week after the show and I remember thinking how empty Wrigley seemed as I looked down at the venue on approach.

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    The delay became part of the experience and we will tell stories about this night for the rest of our lives.

If I could change one thing (other than the cab situation) it would be to swap out Mother and RITFW in favor of Man of the Hour and Yellow Ledbetter. More Pearl Jam, less covers.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    It may have not been the best setlist, best performance, best poster, best hot dog, etc....

But for me, it was the best concert experience. Truly life changing.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    JB128716 said:

It may have not been the best setlist, best performance, best poster, best hot dog, etc....

Couldn't be said better
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,435
    edited July 2014

JB128716 said:

Couldn't be said better
    I actually thought Wrigley did have the best poster of all the shows in the past year.

1. Wrigley Field Cracker Jack poster
    2. Pittsburgh 2013 poster
    3. Portland 2013 poster

Just my opinion but the Cracker Jack poster is only going to go up in value and will be harder and harder to come by. Amazing poster that captured the day perfect!

Post edited by coco butter on
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    Its pretty damned cool how a concert can be a "life changing event" for some people. It truly is. Be it meeting your future husband or wife at a show, or making friends for life.

But Wrigley was not one of those days for me.
    I got real hot.
    I got rained on for a couple hours.
    Then I got real tired towards the end.

:)

But I did go get some real good Chinese food with my bride in the middle of the day. So that was a bonus!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    I still can not beleive they got all those people off the floor.....
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options

I hear ya.
    It was quite the view looking at that empty field, as the rain was falling.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    What a weekend. Met some awesome people in the airport...hotel....Wrigleyville...met a few board friends...by the time Release cranked up I was overwhelmed. That exit scene on the train back downtown with people trying to push their way on when there was no more room.... >:P could have done w/o that.
    Definitely one for the memory bank and was so glad we went.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Does anybody have a good clear shot of the scoreboard? I really wanted a pic of that but my seats were on the opposite side.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

True...funny was ..i met some really cool people while they doing it...took me.more rhan 1 hour to get out of field
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I woke up early that morning, and headed to Wrigley, probably around 9am or so. I wanted to get to Wrigley early, get a cup of coffee, and just check out the madness. I was able to park my car maybe 2 blocks away, I picked up my coffee, and I walked down Clark St. I have to tell you I truly laughed my ass off when I saw THOUSANDS of people standing in lines for posters. And its nothing against those people getting the posters, I get it, but good lord! It was 9am and that line was already a half mile long. Any way, as I made my way down the street to the front of the line I ran in to JTH and his wife Erin. Those 2 were basically doing the same thing as me, just checking out the sites. After talking to them I ran into Wolfbear and her husband. Always good to see those 2. Great people. After chatting with them for 5 minutes, I asked them where I need to go to pick up 10club tickets. They let me know that I was basically standing EXACTLY where I needed to be. BONUS! And I mean I was EXACTLY where I needed to be. The windows were handing out the tickets, as you all know, in alphabetical order. So I was EXACTLY in front of my little window that I needed to be at. WINNER WINNER!! 1st in line for tickets. Well I was 1st in line for the tickets, until the usual PEARL JAM fan club lunatics showed up. But I wasn't in the mood for a fight. I let 5 or 6 knuckle heads cut in front of me. So instead of getting my tickets at 10am I got my tickets at 10:15. Headed to the little Pre-Party down the street that Mamasan23 organized, and had a blast. Even if I was drinking O'douls (The Horror)!

9am
    Thousands of people in line to get a poster.
    Interesting
  • Options

Does anybody have a good clear shot of the scoreboard? I really wanted a pic of that but my seats were on the opposite side.

Here's the pics I took during my pre-show tour of the stadium....

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    JimmyV said:

jason_94 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I was still good at 2:00am. I would have been perfectly fine at 3:00am if they played the 8 songs they crosses out too! ;)
    Agreed. It had become such a marathon by 2am. I was good for another few miles. I do clearly remember being disappointed when Eddie said they only had five more minutes. We could've kept going.

JimmyV said:

jason_94 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think all the 10C folks were A-okay. A lot of the more casual fans turned into really cranky pumpkins at midnight, lol. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJSwaePJSwae Posts: 54
    Wrigley was a unique experience for me, that's for sure.

I drove over from Pittsburgh with plans to attend the show with a friend of mine who lives in the Chicago area. I was about an hour out from Chicago when he called to cancel on me. I was pretty bummed at the idea of attending ANOTHER PJ show alone (I road-tripped to MIA the year before solo). The day of, someone posted on the fb group that their friend had flown in from out west with no ticket and they were desperate. I ended up selling them my ticket at face and hung out with them pre-show and during. I was pretty stoked to have folks to talk to during that massive rain delay.

So, hey to the guys from Ohio and your friend from out west! :)
    1995 - NOLA
    1998 - Knoxville
    2000, 2003 - NOLA
    2012 - Philadelphia
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - TBD!
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    I was secretly hoping Ed would show up with a ukelele two days later at the Rock 'n' Roll half marathon as one of the "local musical acts" along the course, but alas...
  • Options
    He was at the Phish concert the next night. I saw him looking down at the crowd from on top of the scaffolding at the side of the stage, and looked to be enjoying the view. :)