Options

Listened to Yield for the first time in 15 years!!!

So, I finally stopped traveling for a living. Finally unpacked some things. Finally got a decent entry level sound system.

Popped in Yield on CD and BOOM!!!!

I had been listening to all the boots all these years and forgot how GREAT this album sounds.

Some real treats were No Way, Push Me Pull Me and All those Yesterdays.

The sounds that came out of the speakers was just beautiful.

I highly recommend a listen on a good sound system!!!

Comments

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i can't even imagine how good yield would be after this long! like new! i can't go more than a year without going through at least a few days of obsession with my all time favorite album... enjoy!!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    It is always good to come home :)

Glad you enjoyed it so much, it's a great album!
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    Wow! That's a stretch. Though admittedly I went a good five years without listening to Ten. Completely changed the experience when I came back to it. But 15, wow!
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,008
    Gmoney said:

i can't even imagine how good yield would be after this long! like new! i can't go more than a year without going through at least a few days of obsession with my all time favorite album... enjoy!!

Am enjoying it everyday. It was like I stepped into a time machine! I wonder what the average "new" PJ listener would think about this album? It's completely different from their last few albums.
    Now I think I need to go find "Bugs" and listen to Vitalogy!

It is always good to come home :)

Glad you enjoyed it so much, it's a great album!

Thank you, glad to be home. Can't wait until my Vinyl set up is done too!

Wow! That's a stretch. Though admittedly I went a good five years without listening to Ten. Completely changed the experience when I came back to it. But 15, wow!

I know, long time. I've been listening to all live boots though and you forget or at least I did, about the studios.

Thanks everyone. It's nice to be home...

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I was just listening to Yield a week or two ago. Had it in the car and just let it roll for about 5 days. And I finally got a copy on vinyl and gave it a few spins.
    I have to go back to this album (it is my all-time fave from PJ) once every few months or I get withdrawal.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited July 2014
    A word of caution on headphone volume level on the Sometimes to Hail Hail transition...it's gotten me more times than I can count.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I have the same 6 discs in my car stereo as the day I bought it in late 2009...and they are the only 6 discs that will ever go in:
    Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Backspacer

If I am not rocking PJR or listening to MLB on XM Radio then I listen to my iPod and the retarded number of PJ Boots. However, the iPod goes into the house, by the pool, etc....and this means that many times I dont have it in my car. Forces me to crank up the discs in the changer and give a listen to the actual albums rather than everything on boot. I enjoy it -- and No Code / Yield are my two favorites to listen to out of that group even though they are not by #1 and #2 album overall.
    I rarely listen to any of the other albums except LB any more, but these 6 get listened to a lot just because they went into my changer and I said I would not take them out until the car was done.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,468

A word of caution on headphone volume level on the Sometimes to Hail Hail transition...it's gotten me more times than I can count.

haha, this.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618

I have the same 6 discs in my car stereo as the day I bought it in late 2009...and they are the only 6 discs that will ever go in:
    Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Backspacer

If I am not rocking PJR or listening to MLB on XM Radio then I listen to my iPod and the retarded number of PJ Boots. However, the iPod goes into the house, by the pool, etc....and this means that many times I dont have it in my car. Forces me to crank up the discs in the changer and give a listen to the actual albums rather than everything on boot. I enjoy it -- and No Code / Yield are my two favorites to listen to out of that group even though they are not by #1 and #2 album overall.
    I rarely listen to any of the other albums except LB any more, but these 6 get listened to a lot just because they went into my changer and I said I would not take them out until the car was done.

OH MAN- Binaural is the all time best "driving" pj album!! give that a shot in the rotation! get backspacer out of there! ;-)
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Wow! that's a long time ! i couldn't wait for so long...Yield is so beautiful : one of their Pearl Gem...
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    edited July 2014
    Gmoney said:

Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Backspacer

OH MAN- Binaural is the all time best "driving" pj album!! give that a shot in the rotation! get backspacer out of there! ;-)
    I will play it through my iPod and see but I cannot hit eject on any of those 6 discs as I said when they went in that they would not come out until the car was dead/sold. I am a stubborn ass about stuff like that -- my wife was livid with me one trip we took where she wanted to listen to a book on tape (CD actually) that she had and I refused to put them in. lol. Next time she brought the book loaded to her iPod and we listened then....I also think this may be one of the reasons why I like B/S more than most fans here. I enjoy the album and while it certainly doesn't crack the top 6 or 7 it is not last, imho.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,459

Gmoney said:

Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Backspacer

I will play it through my iPod and see but I cannot hit eject on any of those 6 discs as I said when they went in that they would not come out until the car was dead/sold. I am a stubborn ass about stuff like that -- my wife was livid with me one trip we took where she wanted to listen to a book on tape (CD actually) that she had and I refused to put them in. lol. Next time she brought the book loaded to her iPod and we listened then....I also think this may be one of the reasons why I like B/S more than most fans here. I enjoy the album and while it certainly doesn't crack the top 6 or 7 it is not last, imho.
    I like this guy!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I have bootlegs on heavy rotation. An occasional studio take on Sirius/XM, but it's usually not until tour time that I listen to the albums start to finish. Every time I'm blown away and tell myself I need to listen to these more often. Of course, if there was a vinyl reissue for some of these they would certainly get more attention from me. ;)
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    my favourite awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,845

I probably missed an earlier comment, but this is No Code. And yes, that transition can be brutal for the ear drums. Off He Goes into Habit has a similar feel to it.

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited July 2014
    It sure is No Code isn't it...1234. 1234.
    I blame the CD format for confusing me. I probably should be sent complimentary vinyl copies of those 3 records (No Code, Binaural, and Yield) that I confuse the songs off of all the time immediately by the 10 club.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Yeah, it really is a superb album. I can't imagine how it sounded after THAT long. I listen to a ton of boots, and it's always very nice to go back and listen to the albums. Gives a true and complete appreciation for every song after listening to them live time fter time.

Just curious - if it's been that long since you listened to Yield, how long has it been since you gave No Code a spin?
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Yield hands down is a masterpiece! Every song on there is my favorite.
  • Options
    YLed2 said:

Yeah, it really is a superb album. I can't imagine how it sounded after THAT long. I listen to a ton of boots, and it's always very nice to go back and listen to the albums. Gives a true and complete appreciation for every song after listening to them live time fter time.

Just curious - if it's been that long since you listened to Yield, how long has it been since you gave No Code a spin?

About the same amount of time… I was thinking about popping that in and going for a ride soon with No Code. I'm going to hold out a bit longer though.

There are lots of things I have access to now that I'm not traveling all over the place.

I was listening to VS a few years ago and re-introduced it to my sister and her husband and they haven't listened to that in a long time and they both commented "man, I forgot how good this album was".

I'll post about No Code soon too, right now it's all about Yield.

Some other highlights:
    The end of Brain Of J, that guitar explosion sound, yeah I love that.
    Faithful, during the guitar solo you very subtly hear Vedder do a "whoo" and another "aighii". Stuff like that is just killer.
    The string plucking of Given to fly in the beginning.
    I swear I hear horns in All those Yesterdays and the harmonies are killer!
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    Given To Fly is my favourite PJ song I reckon.

Was the music for the first dance at my wedding.
  • Options
    weebleweeble Bristol, England Posts: 133
    edited July 2014
    ^ agreed. I reckon of all the tracks, on all the albums, Given To Fly ticks all the boxes . Live too.

Olivavu... What a freaking great track to choose for a first dance!!?! Pat on the back sir. My wife would never have let me go for anything like it!! :)
    This might pass, this might last, this may grow
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

YLed2 said:

Yeah, it really is a superb album. I can't imagine how it sounded after THAT long. I listen to a ton of boots, and it's always nice to go back and listen to the albums. Gives a true and complete appreciation for every song after listening to them live time fter time.

About the same amount of time… I was thinking about popping that in and going for a ride soon with No Code. I'm going to hold out a bit longer though.

There are lots of things I have access to now that I'm not traveling all over the place.

I was listening to VS a few years ago and re-introduced it to my sister and her husband and they haven't listened to that in a long time and they both commented "man, I forgot how good this album was".

Some other highlights:
    Faithful, during the guitar solo you very subtly hear Vedder do a "whoo" and another "aighii". Stuff like that is just killer.
    Still my favorite work they have done. The layers in some of the songs that I've only ever picked up using headphones are incredible to me. Like Ed speaking some of the lyrics during the last verse on faithfull. It is so subtle.
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    weeble said:

^ agreed. I reckon of all the tracks, on all the albums, Given To Fly ticks all the boxes . Live too.

Olivavu... What a freaking great track to choose for a first dance!!?! Pat on the back sir. My wife would never have let me go for anything like it!! :)

She loves PJ too! She's been to 12 shows :)
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Well, it IS the band's best album...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    It's been longer than that for me ....I can't even listen to any PJ these days i really can't ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I drive around all day for work and I just listened to Yield 3 times in one day and all I can say is Wow! What an ass kicker. I'm even starting to like Pilate which I previously thought was the only blemish on the record but now I may be rethinking things?
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

I drive around all day for work and I just listened to Yield 3 times in one day and all I can say is Wow! What an ass kicker. I'm even starting to like Pilate which I previously thought was the only blemish on the record but now I may be rethinking things?

15 years ago I thought the same thing. I see more to the song now. Back then it was not the way I liked PJ. Now, well? I have a WHOLE new understanding!

YLed2 said:

Yeah, it really is a superb album. I can't imagine how it sounded after THAT long. I listen to a ton of boots, and it's always nice to go back and listen to the albums. Gives a true and complete appreciation for every song after listening to them live time fter time.

Some other highlights:
    Still my favorite work they have done. The layers in some of the songs that I've only ever picked up using headphones are incredible to me. Like Ed speaking some of the lyrics during the last verse on faithfull. It is so subtle.
    ^This!!!
  • Options
    Yes I see more to Pilate now as well. I always thought that it would make more sense on No Code, a song similar in vibe to Who You Are? But I am starting to see where it can fit in on Yield.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I remember being iffy about Pilate back in the day. Now I think it's one of Jeff's masterpieces.