What are the chances Matt Cameron tours with Soundgarden starting this week?

JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
edited July 2014 in The Porch
PJ's next tour starts in October. Soundgarden starts a tour this week with NiN through August. Soundgarden has been on record as to saying Matt is welcomed back whenever he wants to come back.

So... who thinks Matt has enjoyed his week off and is ready for some Soundgarden shows. Two nights in Red Rocks would be hard to turn down.

Come on Matt, we want to see ya with SG. You can rest in September. :)
92 - Orlando
03 - Tampa
08 - Tampa
12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Maybe for a show or two, but I see Chamberlain playing 99% of the tour
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    Part of me would be really excited (because Soundgarden without Matt is not real Soundgarden), and part of me would be upset because I would have gotten better seats (I have lawn now) if I had known Matt was gonna be there.
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    I'm fairly certain Matt will only play if they announce another Superunknown show. Those have been the only shows he's done since they announced Matt Chamberlain touring with SG.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    If Matt returns to Soundgarden for these upcoming shows (more than just a one-off here and there), I would take that as an indication he was assuming PJ was going to be playing more gigs than they are this year when he announced his hiatus.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I'm still holding out hope. Going to 3 of the first 4 shows. If he doesnt, it's still SG opening for NIN, which is killer, but I think Cameron is irreplaceable for SG's sound.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    edited July 2014
    I think it comes down to how much rest Matt needs/wants. I mean he did sit in on a song in England so he's probably missing his old band and friends.

He had his son with him at the European shows and with PJ's relaxed tour schedule, he might not be burnt out on playing. I'm hoping he takes his son with him on this leg.

At the very least, Red Rocks night 1. :)
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I'm skipping the Soundgarden/NIN tour because, to me, Soundgarden without Matt isn't Soundgarden. He's too vital to their sound...not to mention that I'm a total and shameless Matt Cameron fanboy. ;) And having said that, I'm actually listening to Soundgarden's Chile Lollapalooza show right now and Matt Chamberlain does a serviceable job of replacing him. It's less "Matt Chamberlain sucks," because he doesn't, and more "I don't want to see Soundgarden without Matt Cameron." I need to commit to that decision, too, because I'll be in Vancouver this weekend with Soundgarden and NIN down the road at Pemberton...
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Be a shitty thing to have Chamberlain commit his time just to have Cameron come back because he's bored.
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 202
    JB128716 said:

I think it comes down to how much rest Matt needs/wants. I mean he did sit in on a song in England so he's probably missing his old band and friends.

He had his son with him at the European shows and with PJ's relaxed tour schedule, he might not be burnt out on playing. I'm hoping he takes his son with him on this leg.

At the very least, Red Rocks night 1. :)

Matt didn't just sit in on a song at Hyde Park , he played the entire set, only Mike guested on Superunknown.
    I think Chanberlain is more of a hired gun and if the band pays him to watch and as long as the check clears, I'm sure he'd be fine with it.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    JimmyV said:

If Matt returns to Soundgarden for these upcoming shows (more than just a one-off here and there), I would take that as an indication he was assuming PJ was going to be playing more gigs than they are this year when he announced his hiatus.

Yeah, Me too, exactly this. Which then begs the question Why less touring?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    FrankieG said:

JimmyV said:

Not sure about this. I mean at the time Soundgarden was announcing their summer tour plans in Europe (something Matt could not commit to).

Then SG teams up with NiN and has a tour that just happens to fall within PJ's European and Fall tours. I'm starting to like my odds more and more.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JB128716 said:

FrankieG said:

JimmyV said:

Not sure about this. I mean at the time Soundgarden was announcing their summer tour plans in Europe (something Matt could not commit to).

Then SG teams up with NiN and has a tour that just happens to fall within PJ's European and Fall tours. I'm starting to like my odds more and more.
    Maybe, but he indicated at the time it was due not only to PJ but also family commitments. Wanting to spend more time at home.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope you get to see him. I just think it will be kinda strange if it happens.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    That's why I threw in the comment that his son was at the shows and sometimes on stage for the European shows. Not sure how many kids he has, etc... But maybe his son is getting a kick watching the old man play.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    JimmyV said:

Maybe, but he indicated at the time it was due not only to PJ but also family commitments. Wanting to spend more time at home.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope you get to see him. I just think it will be kinda strange if it happens.

That's how I see it. Just because the tours don't overlap doesn't mean he wants to be away from home for both tours. It would be cool and PJ's touring is pretty light, but I have to think he knew the tours wouldn't always overlap when he announced he was only touring with PJ. Work/Life balance gets a bit harder when you get older.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I think he did the smart thing. Chose PJ over SG in 2014, but left he road open to play with SG in the future (which is handy if Pearl Jam decides to lay off touring for a while). He hedged his bet with that move :)
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    edited July 2014
    Don't get me wrong I love Soundgarden and Chris cornell, but Pearl Jam is much better gig for Matt. I believe the Soundgarden reunion was more about economics over desire to play with one another. Chris' last album was a total flop, and his others didn't do much better (though I really like his first album). From what I read, Ben was pretty much flat broke at the time of the reunion and the guys didn't get along very well. Conversely, Matt has been doing very well with Pearl Jam since the late 90s and they seem to get along very well. Matt probably doesn't want to be on the road for two full tours and his loyalty is with PJ (as it should be). Moreover, SG is on a co-headlining tour (playing first for what that's worth) and PJ is a headliner on its own tour. I doubt he is driven solely by money, but doing the quick PJ tour will pay much better than the lengthy SG/NIN tour. As much as I love SG, I don't see them playing arenas or sheds in 5 years, but PJ will easily be booking arena shows far into the future.
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2014
    His reasoning was also about spending some time with his family, not just Pearl Jam tours. So I doubt it, other than maybe a show here or there. He's probably got family time set while his kids are off for the summer.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Just saw on twitter that he was not at Pemberton tonight. Kind of glad to hear he's resting up for the fall tour!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2