Options

Should I get drunk before my firs PJ gig???????

vicmanvicman Posts: 6
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I ' ve got tickets to see Pj in dublin, leeds & paris .......... so ..........I'm a PJ virgin ... never seeing them live. Please I need some guidance from veteran PJ fans...... Shoul i get drunk before ...Dublin ( my first gig)... leeds or paris......or should I be stone sober to all of them .....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Dublin will be my first PJ gig as well, but as a rule, I never get drunk as a gig.

I usually have to drive home afterwards, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't get drunk. I like being able to experience the music sober and remember everything, and not having to go to the toilet all the time. Drunk people at gigs tend to hassle others, which can piss me off.

But hey, that's just me. If you wanna get drunk, get drunk.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    I would be sober for your first show, drunk for the second and stoned for the third. See which you like best...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    vicman wrote:
    I ' ve got tickets to see Pj in dublin, leeds & paris .......... so ..........I'm a PJ virgin ... never seeing them live. Please I need some guidance from veteran PJ fans...... Shoul i get drunk before ...Dublin ( my first gig)... leeds or paris......or should I be stone sober to all of them .....
    It all depends... is there going to be puking involved?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    vicman wrote:
    No.

You might actually want to remember what you saw/heard/felt/enjoyed....

And not getting drunk dramatically reduces the chances of you wrecking your or someone else's good time.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    Noooooooooooo puking involve.................. I like the .......sober , drunk, stoned ...........idea!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I will hate if I get drunk and spoil somebodys time........... decision taken, no drinks......!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gvn2fly12gvn2fly12 Posts: 787
    Speakers wrote:
    I would be sober for your first show, drunk for the second and stoned for the third. See which you like best...

I agree with this for the most part, I enjoyed a few drinks in Vegas while i was gambling so I say not drunk, just a little buzzed!! NO puking
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i would say no, maybe a couple of drinks but dont get sloshed!! the show will be great as is
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    have a few drinks, but dont get hammered. pace yourself.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    no.

drinking -> peeing.

you don't want to have to leave to piss.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    NO.

remember and fully experience it all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    dont drink for ur first show. :) u can still enjoy pearl jam while u are sober.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    No on the before, except maybe one or two. But drink up afterwards. :) You'll enjoy the show, won't have to pee and will be high on PJ - nothing else is needed. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Yes...you should get so ripped you pass out and your buds can scalp your ticket
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    Paris is my first OVERSEAS show. and I'll buy you a beer if we meet up somewhere. Im hoping there are some English speakers around I can talk to.

Sober it up first...maybe a beer to calm the nerves. You know your limit.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    no u shouldnt just have one beer maybe 2 and thats it.u want to enjoy it and also u dont want to be an asshole and ruin the good time for other people
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    no u shouldnt just have one beer maybe 2 and thats it.u want to enjoy it and also u dont want to be an asshole and ruin the good time for other people

I agree. You still want to be lucid and able to remember the show. I've been to the majority of my 15 shows completely sober and they were unreal. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoyed the shows when I had a beer in hand and was able to toast with Eddie. It's just a different experience when you're drinking.
  • Options
    I don't mind a couple of drinks beforehand but as others said you are really going to want to enjoy the whole experience. Plus, having to go to the bathroom during a show is horrible. Enjoy your shows. It becomes so addictive. :D
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I also enjoyed the shows when I had a beer in hand and was able to toast with Eddie. It's just a different experience when you're drinking.
    haha.my advice to people is just know your limit and u will be fine
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    No - you want to remember what a great time you had, don't you? Rather than wake up in misery from a hangover.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I absolutely agree with the "drinking = Peeing" post. Have fun, hit some pubs early, but be cool within a hour of the show; you would hate to be out emptying your bladder when "Breath" or "Crown or Thorns", any other rarity, or your personal favorite happened to be played.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I say drink as much as possible while still having your sense of hearing, sight, and control.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    no.

drinking -> peeing.

you don't want to have to leave to piss.
    Best post!

Who can argue with this logic???
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    PJ will do more for you then a couple of drinks will.

and this is coming from a guy who drinks at least two six packs while partying.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    perthjamperthjam Posts: 17
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Having a couple beers ain't a bad idea, but I never understood why anyone would ever want to be ripped at a PJ concert.

Be in a frame of mind to remember all the great details of the show,

All PJ songs sound better ripped....
    You can be ripped and remember everything and have a greater appreciation for music.... thats why
    You dont give blood, and take it back again!
  • Options
    If you do drink , dont be fooled into thinking that drinking shorts and mixer instead of pints = less fluid in the bladder. I found out the hard way on the bus to oxegen this year.. oh god .. the relief when i got to the smelly overflowing portaloo was both overwhelming and horrifying at the same time. :D
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    It depends what you mean by 'drunk'. I plan to have a few beers - maybe 5, maybe more. I won't be drunk, but I'll be feeling 'loose' and ready to rock my ass off.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I won't be drinking. I may have one earlier on in the day, but I'm definitely going to be sober for the gig. I don't really see the point in being drunk for concerts.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It depends what you mean by 'drunk'. I plan to have a few beers - maybe 5, maybe more. I won't be drunk, but I'll be feeling 'loose' and ready to rock my ass off.

exactly .. ermm but i wouldnt use the term loose.... :eek: as I am not that kind of laydeeeeeeeee :D
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!