Iraq

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
i am surprised nobody has posted anything about this. the country is in serious trouble right now. so many of the cities that the "coalition" fought so hard to secure have been taken back by extremist groups and militants.

i thought for sure people would be on here bashing obama about it, but i am really surprised nobody here is saying anything about it.

we said it back in 2003. invading is a terrible idea. and as soon as we leave, everything those brave men and women fought so hard for will be lost.

so yeah, we really screwed the pooch on this one. thank you neocons and all of your amazing wisdom. history will judge you even more harshly than i do.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Saddam wasn't so bad after all.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    unsung said:

exactly.

tikrit, his hometown, fell a few days ago.

at least with saddam, sometimes you are better off with the devil that you know versus the devil that you don't.

i just hope we learn a lesson from this, but knowing our government, we won't.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    What do you see happening with all this, gimme, anybody? Will we try to be the heroes that save the day? Will we bomb someone... and if so who? Will there be civil war? How does oil tie in? Another very complex situation. What next?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711

unsung said:

exactly.

tikrit, his hometown, fell a few days ago.

at least with saddam, sometimes you are better off with the devil that you know versus the devil that you don't.

i just hope we learn a lesson from this, but knowing our government, we won't.
    I think that is such a backseat driver looking in the rear view mirror mentality. You are okay with a dictator that carried out multiple mass murders, but it's okay because we can deal with him as opposed to dealing with what might happen? The facts are we (United States) removed him of power. We left two years ago. We've allowed this to happen. The easy thing is let's look in hindsight and blame The previous administration. Hindsight is always 20/20, the question now is will we just sit back and let Iraq fall into whatever disparity it may, or are we going to do something about it? This is now on the current administrations hands. Let's get past the blame game and start dealing with what's going on. I am also curious Gimme, do you support taking no action, or do you support taking action?
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

everything those brave men and women fought so hard for will be lost.

Can you remind me what is was they fought for?

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    as horrible as this may sound........yes we tried to fix it last time and when we did we (the U.S) was and still is hated by the general populis over there,they burn our flags and terrorist still hide there for a safe haven, and obama's list of screw up's just keeps growing (I didn't vote for him) and I think the U.S people are so tired of having to read ,hear and see the acts of terrorism commited by people from the middle east that they really just don't care,this kind of thing has been going on for thousands of years with no end in sight and no matter how many times our military goes in to help one side or the other we always end up being the bad guy so mabe this is the preverbial "fuck it who cares let em kill each other"
    I realize some or many of the people over there don't war's and death on their streets but they seem to be o.k with bashing the U.S in the name of islam or burning our flag and defending the terrorist that attack people and places of countries other than their own..... please forgive me and my rant for the morning :D

Godfather.
    edited June 2014

You are okay with a dictator that carried out multiple mass murders

The U.S government has a long history of being perfectly o.k with supporting dictators that carried out mass murders, such as Suharto, Pinochet http://www.workers.org/articles/2013/09/09/pinochet-suharto-u-s-supported-dictators-killed-people/ the Guatemalan dictator Efraín Ríos Montt http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/05/19/what-guilt-does-the-us-bear-in-guatemala/guatemalan-slaughter-was-part-of-reagans-hard-line who was responsible for genocide, and Sadaam Hussein during his worst crimes http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1223-11.htm to name but a few.

The U.S supported Sadaam when he was busy murdering Iranians and Kurds, and sold him the chemical weapons that he allegedly used upon civilians. And the U.S government continued supporting him up until 1991.

So why did you single out Sadaam? Because your government and media told you to?
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
    this is an e-mail I happened to get this morning, when the shit hits the fan they want the help of the American people to help no matter what faith they are.

Godfather.

My Son Shahram Ahmadi has been sentenced to death. His case will be reviewed by the Supreme Court in the upcoming weeks. He is 26 years old and has spent the last 6 years of his life in prison. I couldn’t stop the execution of his younger brother Bahram and had a heart attack when I heard the news. The Iranian government refuses to hand over Bahram’s body. Now I need your help to stop Shahram’s execution.
    Bahram, on the right in the picture above, has been executed and Shahram, on the left, can be saved.
    We are Sunni and Kurd. My son Shahram like many other Sunni youths has been critical of how badly the Iranian government treats the Sunni minority. Security police arrested him in April 2009 on his way home from mosque in our town, Sanandaj. They shot, beat, and kicked my son in the face, breaking his nose and head. They took him to the Intelligence Bureau of Sanandaj and subjected him to severe torture including electric shocks and forced him to falsely confess to armed resistance. It took the authorities 10 months before they allowed us to see him.
    My son's trial was unfair. The authorities kept him in detention for 4 years before charging him. The first time they allowed him to talk to his attorney was on the day of his trial. His trial lasted less than 10 minutes. Judge Mohammad Moghiseh used his coerced confession, the only evidence against him, to declare him a mohareb (enemy of God). I have no doubt that my son would have been found innocent if he had received a fair trial.
    Your support could save my son. In the past international pressure has been instrumental in protecting individuals who had been unfairly prosecuted in Iran. A recent example is Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani who in 2006 was sentenced to stoning. Due to international pressure her sentence was later reduced to 10 years in prison and in March of this year, the Iranian judiciary announced that she has been released.
    Shahram is not the only one at risk. Dozens of other Kurds have been unfairly sentenced to death. Most of their cases are waiting review by the Supreme Court. We do not have much time. Please help me save my son and the other Kurds' lives by asking Iranian officials to halt their executions and grant them fair trials.
    btw the e-mail was sent by "change.org" guess who that is......

Godfather.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mattsl1983
    you ask many snarky questions on this board and i am seeing that you avoid answering the snarky questions that are asked of you so why dont you tell us, without hindsight or blaming EITHER administration what solution you would offer? How many lives is it worth to you to be the Middle East Police...if its just a humanitarian urge, without media/political influence, dont you think we could save more lives for less money if we went to the Sudan with our aid?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

this is an e-mail I happened to get this morning, when the shit hits the fan they want the help of the American people to help no matter what faith they are.

Yeah, what a fucking cheek these people have!

By the way, they're not asking for help solely from the American people. This website has an international base:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change.org
    Change.org is a website operated by Change.org, Inc., an American certified B Corporation[1] incorporated in Delaware that provides a free petition tool for 65 million users[2] and hosts sponsored campaigns for organizations.

Nonprofits and political campaigns, including Amnesty International and the Humane Society, pay the site to host their petitions.[3] Change.org's stated mission is to "empower people everywhere to create the change they want to see."[4] Popular topics of Change.org petitions are economic and criminal justice, human rights, education, the environment, animals, health, and sustainable food.

what is the connection to iraq? I must be missing something
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762

i am surprised nobody has posted anything about this. the country is in serious trouble right now. so many of the cities that the "coalition" fought so hard to secure have been taken back by extremist groups and militants.

i thought for sure people would be on here bashing obama about it, but i am really surprised nobody here is saying anything about it.

we said it back in 2003. invading is a terrible idea. and as soon as we leave, everything those brave men and women fought so hard for will be lost.

so yeah, we really screwed the pooch on this one. thank you neocons and all of your amazing wisdom. history will judge you even more harshly than i do.

We only bash Republican Presidents on issues of the military.

The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    edited June 2014
    rgambs said:

what is the connection to iraq? I must be missing something

They have the same coloured skin.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    carlins ghost for president, 2016!!
    rgambs said:

mattsl1983
    you ask many snarky questions on this board and i am seeing that you avoid answering the snarky questions that are asked of you so why dont you tell us, without hindsight or blaming EITHER administration what solution you would offer? How many lives is it worth to you to be the Middle East Police...if its just a humanitarian urge, without media/political influence, dont you think we could save more lives for less money if we went to the Sudan with our aid?

I wish we were not involved at all, one life is too many, we should not act until acted upon. no aid to any middle eastern country.

Godfather.

rgambs said:

mattsl1983

I wish we were not involved at all, one life is too many, we should not act until acted upon. no aid to any middle eastern country.

Godfather.

i would say the same with military aid but humanitarian aid is different
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

mattsl1983

Godfather.

I would like to end both, if humanitarian aid equates to dollers it always ends up being used aginst us in the form of weapons or terrorism so it all goes back to military eventually.

Godfather.

if humanitarian aid equates to dollers it always ends up being used aginst us in the form of weapons or terrorism

No it doesn't.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2014
    When the resources we want (mostly oil in this case) are gone, we (the U.S.) will largely end our involvement with these people.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited June 2014
    Let's not pretend we didn't see this coming. It was widely known well before the shock and awe began, that invading Iraq would destabilize the entire Middle East (and North Africa along with it), resulting in sectarian violence not seen since the early 80's, and likely the fragmentation of countries along those lines.

THAT is what the US military was fighting for, wittingly or not...divide and conquer....or 'Balkanization'

Iraq is now a staging ground, likely for both sides, in Syria. The violence in Syria is related to the violence in Libya and Ukraine as well. Viewed from a geopolitical standpoint, these are all chess moves in Zbigs 'New Great Game'....nothing to do with freeing peoples oppressed by a dictator. Nothing to do with Dems or the GOP. Everything to do with maintaining the western power structures. It's part and parcel of a foreign policy supported by governing parties for nearly 200 years.
    rgambs said:

I would tend to agree, however it would depend where the aid was coming from, where it went, and who administered it. Too often humanitarian aid comes in the form of economic aid, tied to west-benefiting alliances and neoliberal principles of debt and austerity....which is usually the end goal of any military conflict we get involved in.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,479
    Obama ran on ending the war in Iraq, a war he never supported. He kept this promise and the fault now lies with Bush for going in there in the first place and the Maliki government for not including the Sunni minority. The Iraqi army was never a nationalist army and of course they turned tail and ran when confronted. It is not now Obama's mess to clean up. Let Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait deal with it as its in their back yard.

To quote our former Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, "democracy is messy." The Iraqi people are the only ones who can determine whether they want to live under ISIS or some other form of government. Those who cannot remember the past, the chickenhawks in the Bush administration, I turn my lonely eyes to you, are condemned to repeat it.

And Mr. Lux, you are correct, if there wasn't any oil in Iraq, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Peace.

PS: I mean no disrespect toward the members of the armed forces who served and to their families who lost loved ones. They will always have my gratitude.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited June 2014

I think that is such a backseat driver looking in the rear view mirror mentality. You are okay with a dictator that carried out multiple mass murders, but it's okay because we can deal with him as opposed to dealing with what might happen? The facts are we (United States) removed him of power. We left two years ago. We've allowed this to happen. The easy thing is let's look in hindsight and blame The previous administration. Hindsight is always 20/20, the question now is will we just sit back and let Iraq fall into whatever disparity it may, or are we going to do something about it? This is now on the current administrations hands. Let's get past the blame game and start dealing with what's going on. I am also curious Gimme, do you support taking no action, or do you support taking action?

I don't think it is all the 20/20 hindsight. Many people foresaw this coming... way back in 2003 when we decided to switch our military focus away from Afghanistan, over to Iraq because the Administration had a hard-on for Hussein. I know, I saw it coming. Many of us understood the reason why there were no Arab Nations in our war coalition was because the Sunni majority in the region knew that Hussein was keeping the Iraqi Shi'ite majority in check. Primarily, keeping the Iranian Shi'ites in check and preventing them from coming into Iraq and creating an overwhelming majority. Arab leaders feared a stronger Iran/Iraq Shi'ite bloc would emerge as emmigration across the once closed Iraqi/Iranian border was opened up. Many people knew that Hussein was sitting on a powder keg with a lit fuse... we took him out so now, we had to sit on it. This current violence was going to happen, no matter if we left in 2005, 2012, 2020 or 2099. As soon as the Iron Fist is clamped down on the situation was eased off, there would be open warfare in the streets. We took over the Iron Fist from Hussein and now that is it in the hands of a weak al-Maliki leadership... the whole fucking thing blows up. We knew that going in... we knew this was a bad idea.
    Now... you want to focus on today... okay. What do you want us to do?
    Remember, we are sided with the group in Syria... that is taking up the insurgency in Iraq. Do we fight with them in Syria and against them in Iraq? If so, how do we do that and is it a good idea in the first place? Also, the Shi'ite run Iraqi government will probably get aid from Iran. If we help Iraq, we will be allied with Iran!!!
    Secondly... how much taxpayer money have we poured into Iraqi Security Forces? What did we get?
    Answer: A shitload of cash, that's how much we spent. And what we got was the SAME people who dropped their weapons and waved the white flag to U.S. troops in 2003 in minute the first shot was fired are the ones fleeing aganst insurgents.
    Why did we think... anything would be different?
    Finally... you asked Gimme, "Do you support taking no action, or do you support taking action?". I won't answer for Gimme, but here is my answer....
    We've helped Iraq already. I believe it is about time they decided what to do in and with their country. Sending military hardware to the al-Maliki government may possibly make it's way into the hands of Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) insurgents. My opinion is.. that is not good.
    So, really... looking over all of the scenarios prior to our invasion/occupation/regime change in 2003... one of the better solutions may have been to leave Saddam Hussein in power under the containment program set into place by the 1991 Gulf War and let the powder keg eventually blow up in his face, not ours.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!

Godfather.

My Son Shahram Ahmadi has been sentenced to death. His case will be reviewed by the Supreme Court in the upcoming weeks. He is 26 years old and has spent the last 6 years of his life in prison. I couldn’t stop the execution of his younger brother Bahram and had a heart attack when I heard the news. The Iranian government refuses to hand over Bahram’s body. Now I need your help to stop Shahram’s execution.
    Bahram, on the right in the picture above, has been executed and Shahram, on the left, can be saved.
    We are Sunni and Kurd. My son Shahram like many other Sunni youths has been critical of how badly the Iranian government treats the Sunni minority. Security police arrested him in April 2009 on his way home from mosque in our town, Sanandaj. They shot, beat, and kicked my son in the face, breaking his nose and head. They took him to the Intelligence Bureau of Sanandaj and subjected him to severe torture including electric shocks and forced him to falsely confess to armed resistance. It took the authorities 10 months before they allowed us to see him.
    My son's trial was unfair. The authorities kept him in detention for 4 years before charging him. The first time they allowed him to talk to his attorney was on the day of his trial. His trial lasted less than 10 minutes. Judge Mohammad Moghiseh used his coerced confession, the only evidence against him, to declare him a mohareb (enemy of God). I have no doubt that my son would have been found innocent if he had received a fair trial.
    Your support could save my son. In the past international pressure has been instrumental in protecting individuals who had been unfairly prosecuted in Iran. A recent example is Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani who in 2006 was sentenced to stoning. Due to international pressure her sentence was later reduced to 10 years in prison and in March of this year, the Iranian judiciary announced that she has been released.
    Shahram is not the only one at risk. Dozens of other Kurds have been unfairly sentenced to death. Most of their cases are waiting review by the Supreme Court. We do not have much time. Please help me save my son and the other Kurds' lives by asking Iranian officials to halt their executions and grant them fair trials.

Sir... do you want to help the Sunnis in Iran?
    Before you answer... I hope you understand that the insurgents fighting in Iraq are Sunni minorities, too.
    Now... what to you propose we do about this situation in Iran?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    rgambs said:

mattsl1983

Dear, Sudan
    You have OIL?!?!?!
    Oh... you don't?
    Oh, well... then, fuck you.

Sincerely,
    America
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo said:

Godfather.

Before you answer... I hope you understand that the insurgents fighting in Iraq are Sunni minorities, too.

no and stay out of iran (or anywhere in the middle east), like I said earlier, no aid at all and not to act unless acted upon.

Godfather.

Cosmo said:

Godfather.

no and stay out of iran (or anywhere in the middle east), like I said earlier, no aid at all and not to act unless acted upon.

Godfather.
    That's kind of what I figured... because of your past stated hatred of Muslims.
    I just thought is was odd that you had poseted a letter about injustices to Sunnis in Iran.. in a discussion of Iraq. I actually sounded like you were concerned about this father's son.
    That was why I asked...
    That's all.
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Sir... I need to ask...
    what is funny about that?
    I mean, what is so funny about telling Iraq that they need to quit dropping their weapons and waiving the white flag as soon as someone points a gun at them?
    How much money did we spent trainning thier forces? How many Servicemen and women lost thie lives or have been serverly injured in standing them up to fight for themselves?
    Please, tell me why shouldn't they use the weapons and trainning we gave them... to stand up and fight for themselves?
    I am seriously looking forward to see how you answer this.
    Hail, Hail!!!