Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    PJPOWER said:
    It's sad the the United States hasn't moved past the wild west.
    That’s what I was thinking as I was riding my horse to work today and passed several street duals and public hangings.  
    Ok...,I’m totally on board for regulations on guns....

but i I found this to be pretty hilarious. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJPOWER said:
    That’s what I was thinking as I was riding my horse to work today and passed several street duals and public hangings.  
    I'm glad you find this country's unhealthy obsession with guns amusing.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJPOWER said:
    Exhibit A - most of the shootings that occur could be considered modern versions of duels; unfortunately, with more accurate weapons. 

Exhibit B - your country still has public executions. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    PJPOWER said:
    Exhibit A - most of the shootings that occur could be considered modern versions of duels; unfortunately, with more accurate weapons. 

A: how do? Wild West duels were actually pretty rare even back in the Wild West days, more of a Hollywood thing. I have never heard of a modern shooting where 2 people duel it out.

B: No we don’t.
    https://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/apr/010430.execution.html
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:

Our country still has public executions?  Do they sell tickets on ticketmaster or stubhub?
    And remember, it is not the wild west unless there is spaghetti western music playing while tumble weeds are blowing down the dirt road Main Street ;)
    Anyways, just clowning around a bit, have a great day :)
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

A: how do? Wild West duels were actually pretty rare even back in the Wild West days, more of a Hollywood thing. I have never heard of a modern shooting where 2 people duel it out.

A.  A duel is nothing more than settling an argument with weapons. Pretty standard these days. 

B. Public in the sense that a fairly large number of people not related to the mechanics of the execution are allowed to attend. Timothy McVeigh’s execution had 300 people in attendance. They include relatives, the victim’s family, reporters, and others. 

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

A.  A duel is nothing more than settling an argument with weapons. Pretty standard these days. 

B. Public in the sense that a fairly large number of people not related to the mechanics of the execution are allowed to attend. Timothy McVeigh’s execution had 300 people in attendance. They include relatives, the victim’s family, reporters, and others. 

The over 200 witnesses to the execution of Timothy McVeigh were mostly survivors and victims' relatives of the Oklahoma City bombing.

The last public execution in the U.S. was that of Rainey Bethea in Owensboro, Kentucky, on August 14, 1936.

It was the last execution in the nation at which the general public was permitted to attend without any legally imposed restrictions. "Public execution" is a legal phrase, defined by the laws of various states, and carried out pursuant to a court order. Similar to "public record" or "public meeting", it means that anyone who wants to attend the execution may do so.

Around 1890, a political movement developed in the United States to mandate private executions. Several states enacted laws which required executions to be conducted within a "wall" or "enclosure", or to "exclude public view". Most states laws currently use such explicit wording to prohibit public executions, while others do so only implicitly by enumerating the only authorized witnesses.[139]

All states allow news reporters to be execution witnesses for information of the general public, except Wyoming which allow only witnesses authorized by the condemned.[140][141][142] Several states also allow victims' families and relatives selected by the prisoner to watch executions. An hour or two before the execution, the condemned is offered religious services and to choose his last meal (except in Texas which abolished it in 2011).

The execution of Timothy McVeigh on June 11, 2001, was witnessed by over 200 people, most by closed-circuit television.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Jason P said:
    73 shot. 11 dead. Police have no leads.  

You do not need untracable weapons when no one wants to cooperate with the cops who they somehow deem a greater menace. 
    $20 says you wouldn't cooperate either if you lived in that community because you would know your head would get blown off or your house burned down... fear, intimidation, and retribution is a very real thing 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited August 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

What you described is exactly what a public execution is not. Only those involved, victims or their families were allowed to attend. That’s not public at all.

I could t find any data on the shootings in a short search, but I would surprised if most shootings were settling an argument in the sense that a dual did. I would agree that most murders the victim knows the attacker, and is likely the result of a disagreement. But usually only one party thinks to solve it with a gun, so not what I would consider a “duel” in any sense. Definitely not common, and certainly not most, shootings happen when both parties shoot each each other until one dies. And that’s what I think of when you relate it to a “wild west duel.”
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Had a gang presentation from my local city police task force that deals with such things.... very knowledge folks....

A Cabelas opened in our area about 2 years ago... it is commonly referred to as "The Candy Store" by these folks because a large amount of guns being used in our local gun violence are being bought right at Cabelas... guys as young as 14 are shopping on their phones on the Cabelas website, pick a gun they want, and get a drug addict or someone else without a record willing to make quick cash to go make the straw purchase... they are taking orders on what they want and filling them.... next thing you know, it's used to murder a 17 year old 

Beautiful country we've got.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

What you described is exactly what a public execution is not. Only those involved, victims or their families were allowed to attend. That’s not public at all.

I could t find any data on the shootings in a short search, but I would surprised if most shootings were settling an argument in the sense that a dual did. I would agree that most murders the victim knows the attacker, and is likely the result of a disagreement. But usually only one party thinks to solve it with a gun, so not what I would consider a “duel” in any sense. Definitely not common, and certainly not most, shootings happen when both parties shoot each each other until one dies. And that’s what I think of when you relate it to a “wild west duel.”

Members of the public, i.e. not just those involved with the administration of the act, are permitted to attend. That means that people are there to observe who aren't directly involved in the legal process. The fact that it isn't open to everyone is irrelevant. However, this is a pretty small point to focus on - the fact that the US has state-administered executions at all is the atrocity.

And a lot of gang violence is essentially modern-day dueling, settling scores. 

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Members of the public, i.e. not just those involved with the administration of the act, are permitted to attend. That means that people are there to observe who aren't directly involved in the legal process. The fact that it isn't open to everyone is irrelevant. However, this is a pretty small point to focus on - the fact that the US has state-administered executions at all is the atrocity.

And a lot of gang violence is essentially modern-day dueling, settling scores. 

Now that you're backing down... atrocity according to who?

Some people view state administered executions as a very appropriate form of justice. What else should you do with someone who rapes and murders an infant... or kills multiple people in serial fashion?

The atrocities are actually the laughable sentences some people get for the most obscene offences one might imagine. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Did you know Christopher Lee attended the last public execution in France?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    Had a gang presentation from my local city police task force that deals with such things.... very knowledge folks....

A Cabelas opened in our area about 2 years ago... it is commonly referred to as "The Candy Store" by these folks because a large amount of guns being used in our local gun violence are being bought right at Cabelas... guys as young as 14 are shopping on their phones on the Cabelas website, pick a gun they want, and get a drug addict or someone else without a record willing to make quick cash to go make the straw purchase... they are taking orders on what they want and filling them.... next thing you know, it's used to murder a 17 year old 

Ban phones!  Ban the internets!  Ban 14 year olds!  Ban people from being drug addicts....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Isn’t that just a step above a normal weekend for Chiraq?

No, it's actually not, and believe it or not, shootings there have been down. I would be interested to see a statistical breakdown of these shootings based on area. I would estimate that these shootings occur in the same areas over and over again. Chicago is a massive city and this is only representing the shit. 
    Oh, okay, haven’t compared too much, but every Monday I see an article about Chicago’s weekend’s violence.  Figured it was just a regular ol’ gangsta goodtime, lol
    60 shot in the last four days, good ol gun control.
    Nope, good ‘ol gun sales to straw purchasers going to that Shangra la of indianer.

more fake news
  • Options
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Ban phones!  Ban the internets!  Ban 14 year olds!  Ban people from being drug addicts....
    Why are European countries having less problems with guns than the US, while still not banning owning a gun?

Stop being stupid.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Isn’t that just a step above a normal weekend for Chiraq?

No, it's actually not, and believe it or not, shootings there have been down. I would be interested to see a statistical breakdown of these shootings based on area. I would estimate that these shootings occur in the same areas over and over again. Chicago is a massive city and this is only representing the shit. 
    Oh, okay, haven’t compared too much, but every Monday I see an article about Chicago’s weekend’s violence.  Figured it was just a regular ol’ gangsta goodtime, lol
    60 shot in the last four days, good ol gun control.
    Nope, good ‘ol gun sales to straw purchasers going to that Shangra la of indianer.

more fake news
    Some balls.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/07/where-the-guns-used-in-chicago-actually-came-from/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Why are European countries having less problems with guns than the US, while still not banning owning a gun?

Stop being stupid.
    Are you that dense?
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited August 2018
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:

Stop being stupid.
    Are you that dense?
    Yes.

but shouldn't you parrot "Are you such a "low IQ individual"?
  • Options
    I guess the obvious is no longer important.
  • Options
    As a said fake news.

Chicago doesn't have any gun stores so of course any that are purchased legally come from outside the city.

I guess this really just shows the failure of gun laws.  Straw purchases are illegal.
  • Options
    Chicago's problem has NOTHING to do with gun laws.  Nothing.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    But everything to do with guns and their availability.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    By violating an existing law.  Why doesn’t your law work?

Maybe it is the evil person, no?  Are people ever to blame?  Maybe just if they were trumper voters, right?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    Good guy with gun stops bad guy:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/06/florida-armed-bystander-stops-gunman-at-crowded-back-to-school-event-at-park-police-say.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+foxnews/national+(Internal+-+US+Latest+-+Text)

An armed bystander shot a man who opened fire at a Florida park filled with over 100 people -- including children -- for a Saturday back-to-school cookout, officials said.

The Titusville Police Department said in a news release the man was involved in a fistfight with another person at the Issac Campbell Park and left around 5:20 p.m. -- only to return with a gun minutes later and start shooting.

A bystander, who was lawfully licensed to carry a firearm, then shot the gunman.

“We are extremely grateful that nobody else was injured in this incident,” Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson said in a statement. “This suspect opened fire at a crowded public park. This could have been so much worse.”

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    unsung said:
    By violating an existing law.  Why doesn’t your law work?

Maybe it is the evil person, no?  Are people ever to blame?  Maybe just if they were trumper voters, right?
    Two retail outlets should lose their license to sell firearms. Because Chicago’s murder rate would be exactly the same or higher if folks had to use knives, bats, rocks, rope or their bare hands? Guns and their easy availability don’t factor into the equation in the slightest? To quote yourself, “are you that.........”

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:
    My gawd it's so painfully obvious.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsung said:
    My gawd it's so painfully obvious.
    Not to some. It’s all evil doers.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.