America's Gun Violence

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Holy fucking shit! This is the most fucked up situation ever.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I mean, you can't even make this stuff up. Another great law and a father who thinks giving guns back to his mentally unstable son was a good idea. Negligent at best. The dad should be held responsible.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    tbergs said:
    I mean, you can't even make this stuff up. Another great law and a father who thinks giving guns back to his mentally unstable son was a good idea. Negligent at best. The dad should be held responsible.
    Just another “tragedy.” Thoughts and prayers.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wonder why Trump hasn’t mentioned this yet. Also—we really to arm Waffle House waitresses asap

chinese-happy.jpg

• F**king ridiculous.

The father has blood on his hands. He was negligent and shot be charged.

May he blow his balls off jerking off to his gun magazines.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tbergs said:
    Just another “tragedy.” Thoughts and prayers.

Everything is better now. The victims can feel very relieved- they get some good thoughts and prayers.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    tbergs said:
    Absolutely, the dad should be held responsible. 
    Let's see how the NRA will spin this.
  • The inmates run the asylum.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Git ‘er done.

Gun-toting dad's threatening 'joke' about his daughter's prom date didn't go over well - Mashable https://apple.news/Az05xI2ESS0CcGaeY1Bms6A

I’m more concerned that someone over the age of 22 is actually posting pictures on social media.   
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Git ‘er done.

Gun-toting dad's threatening 'joke' about his daughter's prom date didn't go over well - Mashable https://apple.news/Az05xI2ESS0CcGaeY1Bms6A
    Meh... going too far to be offended here.  In particular the quote about "denying his daughter's  agency", and calling her "property". Fathers aren't going to start trusting high school boys or be happy about dating any time soon.  
    I agree with you, nothing offensive here.  People need to chill. 
    "With the hashtag #BadBoys, Feely is clearly making a reference to a scene in Bad Boys II where the main characters threaten a 15-year-old boy taking one of their daughter's on a date."
    I remember several years ago, a reporter asked Charles Barkley what he thought of boys dating his daughters.  He said, "I figure if I kill one, word will get out".  Everyone thought that was funny.  He didn't kill anyone, and his daughters' didn't have their 'agency' taken, so far as I know.
    So why pose with a gun? Does that make the sentiment somehow tougher? Give dad a bigger dick? Nice prom pic, here’s my dad between my date and I while he overcompensates for his small penis. Come to think of it, without the gun, my date would kick my dad’s ass. Sorry I was born to him.”

He can be an idiot all he wants.  That doesn't offend me.  And it didn't warrant an offended article to be written. 

It's how you lose the middle. 
    I see it as being part of the problem, the glorification of guns. It’s like if you don’t have a gun or interject a gun into the conversation or have one to make a point, you’re either weak or not tough enough. It also reinforces for me that his daughter is a little damsel in distress, incapable of either making a choice about who she dates as someone who will respect her or she’s incapable of protecting her own honor, whether through informed decisions regarding sex or being someone who will honor her father by waiting until marriage. Why not just say,”I took the boy outback and told him he’d be dealing with me and my chainsaw if he hurt my daughter.” Why the gun? I thought “Responsible” gun owners didn’t pose, show or otherwise flash the gun unless they were prepared to use it?
    This isn’t glorification of a gun. It’s just the symbol for protection in this case. This is a very old joke, I am not a gun fan but I thought the picture was funny.  I personally think it should have shown him cleaning his gun. 

The only thing that’s stupid is the need to tweet it. If you do this and share with just family and friends all good. So Twitter is the enemy in this one ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited April 2018
    tbergs said:
    The NRA is so far down the list on this, that they have nothing to fear here. They can easily point the finger back at a parent who was unwilling to deny his son the right to bear arms. The other bigger problem is the law and why the feds give the guns of an over 18 adult to the parent. That's just dumb. How many times do we need to see this story play out where the shooter either stole or got the guns from a parent? Dad should be charged with a felony and be found guilty for every murder committed due to his negligence. Maybe next time try to find other avenues to get your son help. Not provide him with a tool to carry out violence against himself and others. They should have let him eat his own gun years back when he was suicidal instead of morphing in to a homicidal maniac.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    The NRA is so far down the list on this, that they have nothing to fear here. They can easily point the finger back at a parent who was unwilling to deny his son the right to bear arms. The other bigger problem is the law and why the feds give the guns of an over 18 adult to the parent. That's just dumb. How many times do we need to see this story play out where the shooter either stole or got the guns from a parent? Dad should be charged with a felony and be found guilty for every murder committed due to his negligence. Maybe next time try to find other avenues to get your son help. Not provide him with a tool to carry out violence against himself and others. They should have let him eat his own gun years back when he was suicidal instead of morphing in to a homicidal maniac.
    The Breitbart argument on this is that Waffle House is a "gun free" zone.  
  • Did I read that the father never broke the law giving his moronic son guns?

This cannot be true. If so... wow.
    edited April 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    The Breitbart argument on this is that Waffle House is a "gun free" zone.  
    Almost funny if 4 people weren't dead. It's amazing that there are people who believe a significant amount of the population would be armed if not for these darn gun free zone signs. How many conceal carry permit holders actually see that sign, stop, go back and put their gun in the car and then eat or just leave because of the sign? Seems like a lot of conflation to deflect from some real problems that can be addressed.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Wonder why Trump hasn’t mentioned this yet. Also—we really to arm Waffle House waitresses asap

Love that headline. This guy is a hero. When asked why he took the guy on he said "....i wanted to live...."  
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

Love that headline. This guy is a hero. When asked why he took the guy on he said "....i wanted to live...."  
    It is great that he fought to live, but you know, if only he had a gun then this guy would already have been taken care of by a good guy with a gun. For those who can't tell, that's sarcasm.

you know the guys own statement has me thinking... does motivation or action alone determine heroism? Guy is certainly brave but doing it to save your own life is not being a hero. But then again I guess I don’t really care cause the actions saved people so it’s still a heroic action. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited April 2018

you know the guys own statement has me thinking... does motivation or action alone determine heroism? Guy is certainly brave but doing it to save your own life is not being a hero. But then again I guess I don’t really care cause the actions saved people so it’s still a heroic action. 
    He isn't calling himself a hero. Everyone else, including myself are saying hes a hero. Because what he did is heroic. Does it matter if his reasons are selfish ones? He still saved the lives of everyone else in that restaurant. He also said he was thinking about his 4 year old daughter. So his reasons for wanting to stay alive probably go a bit deeper than I suggested. 

Edit: I'm not arguing what you said. I know we are basically saying the same thing. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I don't even know how to start.
    About 25 years ago my wife's family met a young boy name Quentin. He came to the church through a community outreach program, where the church bus picked up kids from the local neighborhoods, mostly targeting the projects and areas with troubled youth. They'd take them to the church building Sunday afternoon and play games and feed them. Many of these kids were clearly abused, kids as young as 7 or 8 would come with cigarette burns and other bruises.
    Quentin had every reason to be mad at the world, but he wasn't. Everyone loved him and looked forward to seeing him again. Within a few years my brother-in-law decided to become his legal guardian because of his homelife. Quentin lived with him and his family for several years. Even put him through college. He has been considered a member of the family ever since. I've only met him a few times, but by all accounts a great guy and one of the nicest you would ever meet. Having only met his birth father a few times, my brother-in-law is the only father figure he had.
    Friday morning he was found shot.

Initial reports was that the girl who shot him claimed he was a stalker and broke into her house. When she "smelled" an intruder, she left to get her gun and returned to find him in the closet and shot him. 

This news report was how the family learned of his death, no one was contacted by the media or police.

She has not been arrested because of the "stand your ground" law in the state, her statements made to police and the fact she has a concealed weapons permit because she works at a club. However, there were no signs of a break in, and according to his family and friends they have been dating. He told his friends he was going over that morning to break up with her and get his stuff. There's a lot I don't know and a lot I don't need to add to this story.  But based on what we do know we are confident he was shot while getting his stuff from the closet. We know cell phone records will disprove her accusations of being stalked.

This has made me realize some of the flaws.
    Even assuming her version is accurate (which it isn't), why does a law allow you to retreat only  to get a gun to shoot an unarmed man?
    Why is there not stricter background checks for a concealed weapon permit? Many of his friends have quoted her as saying she would kill him if he ever broke up. That needs to be easy to report.
    I'm sure as the investigation unfolds there will be more disturbing red flags about why she was allowed to have a gun to begin with. 

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    I don't even know how to start.
    About 25 years ago my wife's family met a young boy name Quentin. He came to the church through a community outreach program, where the church bus picked up kids from the local neighborhoods, mostly targeting the projects and areas with troubled youth. They'd take them to the church building Sunday afternoon and play games and feed them. Many of these kids were clearly abused, kids as young as 7 or 8 would come with cigarette burns and other bruises.
    Quentin had every reason to be mad at the world, but he wasn't. Everyone loved him and looked forward to seeing him again. Within a few years my brother-in-law decided to become his legal guardian because of his homelife. Quentin lived with him and his family for several years. Even put him through college. He has been considered a member of the family ever since. I've only met him a few times, but by all accounts a great guy and one of the nicest you would ever meet. Having only met his birth father a few times, my brother-in-law is the only father figure he had.
    Friday morning he was found shot.

Initial reports was that the girl who shot him claimed he was a stalker and broke into her house. When she "smelled" an intruder, she left to get her gun and returned to find him in the closet and shot him. 

This news report was how the family learned of his death, no one was contacted by the media or police.

She has not been arrested because of the "stand your ground" law in the state, her statements made to police and the fact she has a concealed weapons permit because she works at a club. However, there were no signs of a break in, and according to his family and friends they have been dating. He told his friends he was going over that morning to break up with her and get his stuff. There's a lot I don't know and a lot I don't need to add to this story.  But based on what we do know we are confident he was shot while getting his stuff from the closet. We know cell phone records will disprove her accusations of being stalked.

This has made me realize some of the flaws.
    Even assuming her version is accurate (which it isn't), why does a law allow you to retreat only  to get a gun to shoot an unarmed man?
    Why is there not stricter background checks for a concealed weapon permit? Many of his friends have quoted her as saying she would kill him if he ever broke up. That needs to be easy to report.
    I'm sure as the investigation unfolds there will be more disturbing red flags about why she was allowed to have a gun to begin with. 

Sorry for your loss Mace. Terrible story.
    Just another “responsible” gun owner. Pretty soon we won’t need abortion.

A Woman Accidentally Shot and Killed Her Daughter While Trying to Turn on Her Gun's Safety - TIME https://apple.news/ApsuGbilmSb2teIgr8i441A
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2018
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Excellent post del!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Excellent post del!
    Lol
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Oh, the irony.

The NRA bans guns at their upcoming convention while Mike Pence is in attendance.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/nra-convention-bans-guns-to-protect-mike-pence-parkland-survivors-jaws-drop_us_5ae4f225e4b04aa23f239924

It's almost like they're admitting that, despite a whole convention hall of presumably "good guys with guns", someone might still manage to commit violence. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Oh, the irony.

The NRA bans guns at their upcoming convention while Mike Pence is in attendance.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/nra-convention-bans-guns-to-protect-mike-pence-parkland-survivors-jaws-drop_us_5ae4f225e4b04aa23f239924

It's almost like they're admitting that, despite a whole convention hall of presumably "good guys with guns", someone might still manage to commit violence. 
    I believe they become a gun free zone for their convention and headquarters every year, every day, respectively. Their hypocrisy has been around for quite sometime.

Brilliantati©
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited April 2018
    Oh, the irony.

I believe they become a gun free zone for their convention and headquarters every year, every day, respectively. Their hypocrisy has been around for quite sometime.
    In the article it says the secret service put these restrictions in place. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh, the irony.

Pretty much anywhere the president or VP go is a gun free zone. I don’t know why anyone is surprised an NRA convention with the VP is not an exception to that.
    and as you pointed out, it was the secret service who required this. Although I think it’s a good idea, NRA seems like that had nothing to do with that decision.
  • mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh, the irony.

Pretty much anywhere the president or VP go is a gun free zone. I don’t know why anyone is surprised an NRA convention with the VP is not an exception to that.
    and as you pointed out, it was the secret service who required this. Although I think it’s a good idea, NRA seems like that had nothing to do with that decision.

So no guns around important people? Just regular people? 
This discussion has been closed.