• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have no idea, but to be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible for a private school to house a monster, lol. Of course any school can have a psychopath as a student, or an extremely troubled or abused student, or a mentally ill student. I'm just saying that the chances of a school shooter coming out of a private school (and thus shooting up a private school) are much, much smaller for the reasons I mentioned. Far fewer kids slip through the cracks at private schools.
    Fewer may “slip through the cracks”, but I think it’s fair to say that private schools expel most of the kids with any significant behavioural issues. They aren’t required to try to educate these kids, the way that public schools are. I don’t think it’s a fair comparison at all, because there’s a large selection bias. 
    Where are you getting  that info? Public schools expel kids all the time - no school is forced to keep a problem kid at the school. I would guess that most private school kids who are expelled end up at another private school.

Not true.

A kid can be expelled from a school, but it takes a lot of 'incidents' before that occurs.

There's a thing called 'progressive discipline' which allows for a lot of really poor behaviour. And I mean really poor behaviour. Administrators cannot exercise judgement- they've been rendered useless.

With that said, a major episode can expedite the process somewhat... but a 'major episode' is usually something that damages somebody.
    No, it is true, if you read what I actually said. I know about progressive discipline and acknowledge it. My point was that private schools do it too. It's just that their motives for doing it are different.

I would agree more with 30.
    It is so much easier to expel a student at a private school. It is incredibly difficult at a public school today.
    A private school with a high enrollment and wait list can and do expel kids even for grades. My wife went to a private school (she hated it) it was an extremely strict Christian school. They had a demerit system, and at a certain point you got expelled. You got demerits for wearing jeans, she actually knows several people who were expelled their senior year for something that stupid. You got demerits for being tardy to class. She told me one day her friend built up enough small demerits from things like that, and one day showed up in jeans and got expelled.  I think drugs and alcohol was an immediate expulsion. Now kids can deal and do drugs at public school and get a 3-day suspension for it.
    Unfortunately public schools are forced to keep problem kids all the time. It actually is a major problem, how difficult it is to expel a student and how tolerant public schools have become of behavior, even violent behavior. 
    Private schools who struggle for enrollment are probably a lot more tolerant, but there are many that are not.
    Again, do you guys even understand what my initial point was? It doesn't seem like it. You seem to be assuming I'm somehow trying to give credit to private schools or something? I'm not. I actually said I don't think they should even be legal.
    FWIW, I come from a family of public educators/school administrators, so I'm pretty aware of how it works. As for silly private school demerits... what dumb kid would wear jeans to a school where everyone is wearing a uniform? I've known tons of people who went to private school or kids who go now, and that shit just isn't happening, and there are very few expulsions happening at all because the kids are indeed better controlled and behaved because of all the reasons I already said.
    I guess not. I thought your point was public and private schools both have equal difficult (or ease) of expelling kids? I was just saying its much harder for a public school. Basically impossible unless they are a proven threat, and even then it is still questionable. Much harder for public schools. You said "public schools expel kids all the time", and that "no school has to keep a problem kid." Those were the comments I was responding to because that is not even close to the case. Its very difficult for schools to expel kids and they are forced to keep a lot of problem students. Private schools are not held to those same standards.
    Was that not your point?
    Well no, my initial point was actually to discuss why school shootings aren't happening in private schools, lol, and the reasons really had little to nothing to do with expulsions. But anyway, yes, public schools do expel kids all the time,  and no school does have to keep a problem kid (I meant a real problem kid, not a kid who talks too much in class or whatever, but I do know that plenty of kids get expelled for less than violence.... but remember I'm talking about the Canadian school system... that's the one I know... Sorry, I guess that is confusing in the American gun violence thread!). But I didn't mean that there wasn't a process they have to go through to get it done. Of course there is, and I said so. Anything else would be completely unfair to the child. Everyone needs to do everything possible to help kids with problems before tossing them. My next point was that private schools do not go crazy with expulsions at all, as someone kind of suggested, because they also have standards as far as that goes, just not necessarily the same ones as public schools because their motivations are different. Private schools still have problem kids in them FYI. But FWIW, when I initially made my actual point, I said that private schools simply do not generally have students who are that troubled to begin with, for various reasons...... But yeah, sorry, I am speaking from a Canadian perspective; I guess that means I kinda got off-track. I think our education systems are extremely similar.... but I'm thinking maybe the American system is just way farther into crisis than the Canadian one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    For the record, I think the Canadian public system is doing a solid job with what they've been given to do the job with. Of course, it could be better and there is a significant degree of frustration for various aspects of the system (especially here in BC); however, I feel our public system serves its students well. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Out of curiosity, I checked on that. No, Adam Lanza didn't attend private school. He attended public school (including Sandy Hook) for years, and then a public Intermediate school, and then home schooling, which seems to be when he got really weird. Doesn't say much for home schooling! Although in all fairness to his mother, perhaps she chose to home-school him because he was acting all fucked up, and not the other way around.
    (I do admit that I think home schooling is fucking weird unless absolutely necessary)
    Why do you think home schooling is weird? I think a lot of the preconceived stigmas of homeschool kids has come from TV, movies or the families that gain notoriety in the media, which in truth aren't homeschooling, just deviant parents, but claim homeschool so they can prevent their kids from drawing attention to human services.
    Maybe you missed this yesterday, but I see you called it weird again @PJ_Soul.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Apparently the Austin bomber was home schooled, take that info for what it is.
    It means nothing unless there was social emotional abuse or an issue that caused the mother to home school. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Out of curiosity, I checked on that. No, Adam Lanza didn't attend private school. He attended public school (including Sandy Hook) for years, and then a public Intermediate school, and then home schooling, which seems to be when he got really weird. Doesn't say much for home schooling! Although in all fairness to his mother, perhaps she chose to home-school him because he was acting all fucked up, and not the other way around.
    (I do admit that I think home schooling is fucking weird unless absolutely necessary)
    Why do you think home schooling is weird? I think a lot of the preconceived stigmas of homeschool kids has come from TV, movies or the families that gain notoriety in the media, which in truth aren't homeschooling, just deviant parents, but claim homeschool so they can prevent their kids from drawing attention to human services.
    I did miss it, and yes I called it weird again, lol. I think I answered your question in my reply to Dankind. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Home schooled kids are usually weird, don't do it, lol. No matter what you try to do to counteract it, that they are separated that much from their peers and not sharing so many experiences daily with them can't be good for them socially. Not to mention the complete lack of variety in their education that home schooling necessitates. (obviously do what you think is best... I'm just saying that I think home schooling pretty much sucks for the kids generally... However, there some obvious exceptions to every rule).
    Because a child who spends an extended amount of time around kids in a public school aren't weird, deviant and more socially adept? Again, it all comes down to how the parents conduct the homeschool experience. There are numerous activities and groups for homeschool parents. I would argue that they generally have more positive social interactions because they don't have to vie for the attention of their teacher along with 25 other kids and be subjected to the distractions, bullying and influence of the kids who create a difficult learning environment.

Besides families that do it for strictly religious reasons, which I think is limiting the scope of the education, a homeschool child isn't confined to the systematic approach of the public school system. I do agree that private schools are a great option if you can afford it because they usually approach education as it relates to the whole child and incorporate movement into the day beyond just recess.

There are a lot of positive benefits to homeschooling that seem to get overlooked while the stigmas and biases become the standard label for no reason. Unless you have some other research or source that indicates this trend of weird kids being homeschooled it would seem appropriate to stop spreading that inaccurate opinion.

https://www.nheri.org/research-facts-on-homeschooling/

http://www.businessinsider.com/structured-homeschool-canada-2011-9

• Options
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Home schooled kids are usually weird, don't do it, lol. No matter what you try to do to counteract it, that they are separated that much from their peers and not sharing so many experiences daily with them can't be good for them socially. Not to mention the complete lack of variety in their education that home schooling necessitates. (obviously do what you think is best... I'm just saying that I think home schooling pretty much sucks for the kids generally... However, there some obvious exceptions to every rule).
    Because a child who spends an extended amount of time around kids in a public school aren't weird, deviant and more socially adept? Again, it all comes down to how the parents conduct the homeschool experience. There are numerous activities and groups for homeschool parents. I would argue that they generally have more positive social interactions because they don't have to vie for the attention of their teacher along with 25 other kids and be subjected to the distractions, bullying and influence of the kids who create a difficult learning environment.

Besides families that do it for strictly religious reasons, which I think is limiting the scope of the education, a homeschool child isn't confined to the systematic approach of the public school system. I do agree that private schools are a great option if you can afford it because they usually approach education as it relates to the whole child and incorporate movement into the day beyond just recess.

There are a lot of positive benefits to homeschooling that seem to get overlooked while the stigmas and biases become the standard label for no reason. Unless you have some other research or source that indicates this trend of weird kids being homeschooled it would seem appropriate to stop spreading that inaccurate opinion.

Nope, I'm obviously not saying people who aren't home schooled can't be weird, lol. I think you knew that, right?

Just an opinion man. I don't think homeschooling is a good choice for kids for the reasons I already said, and yes, I know how it works. And home schooling for religious reasons is even worse as far as this hard core atheist is concerned, lol. But I'm not stopping parents from doing it anyway, so my opinion is pretty irrelevant. I would think your comment would be reasonable if I had posted some incorrect facts, which I didn't, but I don't think it's reasonable at all for you to suggest I "stop spreading (my) inaccurate opinion." It's my opinion, so it is 100% accurate, and I formed my opinion based on plenty of information and my own observations. There is nothing inaccurate about that. You simply don't agree with me.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    What is the difference between protecting children and "protecting children?" Does the emphasis change?
    There are real solutions, and then there are marches where kids are used as pawns and signs are displayed to have a "safe space".
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have no idea, but to be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible for a private school to house a monster, lol. Of course any school can have a psychopath as a student, or an extremely troubled or abused student, or a mentally ill student. I'm just saying that the chances of a school shooter coming out of a private school (and thus shooting up a private school) are much, much smaller for the reasons I mentioned. Far fewer kids slip through the cracks at private schools.
    Fewer may “slip through the cracks”, but I think it’s fair to say that private schools expel most of the kids with any significant behavioural issues. They aren’t required to try to educate these kids, the way that public schools are. I don’t think it’s a fair comparison at all, because there’s a large selection bias. 
    Where are you getting  that info? Public schools expel kids all the time - no school is forced to keep a problem kid at the school. I would guess that most private school kids who are expelled end up at another private school.

Not true.

A kid can be expelled from a school, but it takes a lot of 'incidents' before that occurs.

There's a thing called 'progressive discipline' which allows for a lot of really poor behaviour. And I mean really poor behaviour. Administrators cannot exercise judgement- they've been rendered useless.

With that said, a major episode can expedite the process somewhat... but a 'major episode' is usually something that damages somebody.
    No, it is true, if you read what I actually said. I know about progressive discipline and acknowledge it. My point was that private schools do it too. It's just that their motives for doing it are different.

I would agree more with 30.
    It is so much easier to expel a student at a private school. It is incredibly difficult at a public school today.
    A private school with a high enrollment and wait list can and do expel kids even for grades. My wife went to a private school (she hated it) it was an extremely strict Christian school. They had a demerit system, and at a certain point you got expelled. You got demerits for wearing jeans, she actually knows several people who were expelled their senior year for something that stupid. You got demerits for being tardy to class. She told me one day her friend built up enough small demerits from things like that, and one day showed up in jeans and got expelled.  I think drugs and alcohol was an immediate expulsion. Now kids can deal and do drugs at public school and get a 3-day suspension for it.
    Unfortunately public schools are forced to keep problem kids all the time. It actually is a major problem, how difficult it is to expel a student and how tolerant public schools have become of behavior, even violent behavior. 
    Private schools who struggle for enrollment are probably a lot more tolerant, but there are many that are not.
    Again, do you guys even understand what my initial point was? It doesn't seem like it. You seem to be assuming I'm somehow trying to give credit to private schools or something? I'm not. I actually said I don't think they should even be legal.
    FWIW, I come from a family of public educators/school administrators, so I'm pretty aware of how it works. As for silly private school demerits... what dumb kid would wear jeans to a school where everyone is wearing a uniform? I've known tons of people who went to private school or kids who go now, and that shit just isn't happening, and there are very few expulsions happening at all because the kids are indeed better controlled and behaved because of all the reasons I already said.
    they were addressing your claim that public schools expel kids all the time and 'no school is forced to keep a problem kid'. yes, they actually are. my oldest daughter has a kid in her class who routinely throws violent fits. even so far as throwing chairs across the fucking room. during olympic week the kids all decorated their home rooms with national flags. she tore a rival room's flag to shreds, and literally nothing was done about it. the kids are taught to go in the hall when this occurs. the kid is still in the class, the teacher is at his wits end, apologizes endlessly for the bullshit he has to keep up with because that means he isn't able to spend as much time with the good kids as he would like to or the kids who are struggling but don't have behaviour issues but he can't because he's constantly putting out fires because they simply are not allowed to effectively deal with the situation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2018
    Hugh...

I can't even begin to detail how common the situation is you have illustrated.

Good kids held hostage by poorly behaving ones. I also wish to add that in many cases... no matter what the schools does for these types of kids... the parents think enough isn't being done.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Hugh...

Good kids held hostage by poorly behaving ones. I also wish to add that in many cases... no matter what the schools does for these types of kids... the parents think enough isn't being done.
    it drives me nuts that it seems as soon as you tag a child with the 'special needs' label, all of a sudden they are allowed to do whatever the fuck they want without repercussion. 

these kids need real assistance, and simply throwing an EA in the class and allowing the kid to act out at the detriment of the rest of the class does zero. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Hugh...

it drives me nuts that it seems as soon as you tag a child with the 'special needs' label, all of a sudden they are allowed to do whatever the fuck they want without repercussion. 

these kids need real assistance, and simply throwing an EA in the class and allowing the kid to act out at the detriment of the rest of the class does zero. 
    Well said Hugh.  Right on!!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nope, I'm obviously not saying people who aren't home schooled can't be weird, lol. I think you knew that, right?

Just an opinion man. I don't think homeschooling is a good choice for kids for the reasons I already said, and yes, I know how it works. And home schooling for religious reasons is even worse as far as this hard core atheist is concerned, lol. But I'm not stopping parents from doing it anyway, so my opinion is pretty irrelevant. I would think your comment would be reasonable if I had posted some incorrect facts, which I didn't, but I don't think it's reasonable at all for you to suggest I "stop spreading (my) inaccurate opinion." It's my opinion, so it is 100% accurate, and I formed my opinion based on plenty of information and my own observations. There is nothing inaccurate about that. You simply don't agree with me.
    I should just let this go, but I can't lol. You're right, I do disagree and maybe it's because I think an opinion should at least somewhat be based on factual evidence to support said opinion.

I just find it ironic that the last few pages of this thread has focused on the unequal playing field kids have based on access to private schooling with better resources for counseling/conflict resolution. While public schools don't have the same options with bullying and how that leads to violent outbursts. Yet you are making a completely biased statement without any factual reason. It's no different than me stating that I think black people are usually gang members or pearl jam fans are usually crazy (maybe some truth there based on what I read on here lol).

I don't expect you to agree with me. I just think making negative overarching generalizations about a certain group of people is something we should all be striving not to do. People get pissed when our racist asshole in chief states it about Mexicans and Muslims based on a small sample of issues so why is your opinion ok in this case?  There are a lot of terrible atrocities in our history that began as mere opinions and were fabricated into something bigger.

Alright, rant over.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    unsung said:
    What is the difference between protecting children and "protecting children?" Does the emphasis change?
    There are real solutions, and then there are marches where kids are used as pawns and signs are displayed to have a "safe space".
    Are you marching this Saturday on behalf of kids that just wanna go to school to learn and not be worried about getting shot down ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Are you marching this Saturday on behalf of kids that just wanna go to school to learn and not be worried about getting shot down ...
    Nope.  I have to go to work.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Nope.  I have to go to work.
    Oh ok I used to work weekends haven’t in the last 20 yrs , I’ll be @Stoneybrook university marching ...
    I respect and would march for your right to own guns but I want the sales of these types of weapons to stop ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Why hasn't anyone been reporting on this?
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/great-mills-high-school-shooting/index.html

I'm sure I know why.  No good buzz words like AR-15 or assault rifle are in this.

It's still gun violence though.  How the 17yo got the gun is a real problem.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,602

I'm sure I know why.  No good buzz words like AR-15 or assault rifle are in this.

Because it doesn’t fit the narrative of “arm the teachers?” It was a highly trained SWAT team member who took out the perp. If the gun belonged to his parents or a friend, they should be charged and do time in jail.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Of course it was reported on. It was also discussed in this thread already, a few pages back, so I guess you don’t “know why”. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Guess when someone intends on doing harm they don't stop and make sure they meet the new age requirements.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I did miss it, and yes I called it weird again, lol. I think I answered your question in my reply to Dankind. :)
    I'd agree with PJ, home-schooled kids are weird. 
    That doesn't mean all are, and every public school kid isn't. But that home-schooled kids are more likely/higher percentage of being weird.
    It is probably a combination of the families that are more likely to home-school (A lot of ultra-conservative Christian homes home school, that's why there are so many religious homeschool programs), combined with the lack of peer interaction.
    I have a lot of nieces and nephews who are home-schooled. My brother home-schools and my wife's brother and sister both do. Some of them have very normal kids and do a great job exposing them to strong academics and other peers, and some of them do not. It is very clear when interacting with them which ones see the same 4 people every day and which ones are exposed to more interaction.
    We used to joke in college and point out who was home-schooled. We were surprisingly accurate because it was pretty easy to determine who was experiencing a school setting like that and interacting with a large group for the first time and who was not.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Hugh...

I've been teaching in the public school system for 17 years...i've seen this so many times.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That doesn't mean all are, and every public school kid isn't. But that home-schooled kids are more likely/higher percentage of being weird.
    It is probably a combination of the families that are more likely to home-school (A lot of ultra-conservative Christian homes home school, that's why there are so many religious homeschool programs), combined with the lack of peer interaction.
    I have a lot of nieces and nephews who are home-schooled. My brother home-schools and my wife's brother and sister both do. Some of them have very normal kids and do a great job exposing them to strong academics and other peers, and some of them do not. It is very clear when interacting with them which ones see the same 4 people every day and which ones are exposed to more interaction.
    We used to joke in college and point out who was home-schooled. We were surprisingly accurate because it was pretty easy to determine who was experiencing a school setting like that and interacting with a large group for the first time and who was not.
    Just read this and thought about the conversation about home schooled kids:

Austin bomber Mark Anthony Conditt was part of Christian survivalist group that discussed 'dangerous' chemicals

The Austin bomber was involved in a teenage Christian “survivalist” group that discussed weapons and dangerous chemicals, according to a childhood friend.

Mark Anthony Conditt reportedly took part in a conservative outdoors club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT), in which home-schooled young people studied the Bible and were taught gun skills.

Police in Texas are hunting for clues about what drove the 23-year-old to embark on a bombing spree which killed two people and terrorised the state capital for weeks.

"He and and his family are as normal as I’ve seen anybody," Jeff Reeb, a neighbour of the Conditt family in Pflugerville for approximately 17 years, told The Independent.

Another neighbour, Lee Roca, said he was shocked when he saw Conditt identified as the bombing suspect on the news. Mr Roca said he recognised Conditt from karaoke nights at a local bar called Red Rooster, and he may well have shaken his hand.

Officers found a 25-minute mobile phone recording that they said amounted to a “confession” after Conditt blew himself up as authorities closed in on him on Wednesday.

• Options

tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I teach 8th grade and for some reason parents who home school their kids think that it is a good idea to enter their kids into the public school system that year so the kids can get ready for high school.  I would say that the majority of kids I have that were home schooled were definitely behind academically and socially.  I wouldn't call them weird but rather sheltered from real life social interactions and the rigors of an academic schedule.  They learn as they go as some of them eventually succeed by the end of 8th grade but I have had many kids try out public school only to fail for various reasons and continue to home school.  

• Options

tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I teach 8th grade and for some reason parents who home school their kids think that it is a good idea to enter their kids into the public school system that year so the kids can get ready for high school.  I would say that the majority of kids I have that were home schooled were definitely behind academically and socially.  I wouldn't call them weird but rather sheltered from real life social interactions and the rigors of an academic schedule.  They learn as they go as some of them eventually succeed by the end of 8th grade but I have had many kids try out public school only to fail for various reasons and continue to home school.  

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Austin bomber Mark Anthony Conditt was part of Christian survivalist group that discussed 'dangerous' chemicals

The Austin bomber was involved in a teenage Christian “survivalist” group that discussed weapons and dangerous chemicals, according to a childhood friend.

Mark Anthony Conditt reportedly took part in a conservative outdoors club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT), in which home-schooled young people studied the Bible and were taught gun skills.

Police in Texas are hunting for clues about what drove the 23-year-old to embark on a bombing spree which killed two people and terrorised the state capital for weeks.

"He and and his family are as normal as I’ve seen anybody," Jeff Reeb, a neighbour of the Conditt family in Pflugerville for approximately 17 years, told The Independent.

Another neighbour, Lee Roca, said he was shocked when he saw Conditt identified as the bombing suspect on the news. Mr Roca said he recognised Conditt from karaoke nights at a local bar called Red Rooster, and he may well have shaken his hand.

Officers found a 25-minute mobile phone recording that they said amounted to a “confession” after Conditt blew himself up as authorities closed in on him on Wednesday.

Wow.

"Mark Anthony Conditt reportedly took part in a conservative outdoors club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT), in which home-schooled young people studied the Bible and were taught gun skills."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2018
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

"Mark Anthony Conditt reportedly took part in a conservative outdoors club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT), in which home-schooled young people studied the Bible and were taught gun skills."

There are varying degrees of religious brainwashing. This is the extreme variety.

It's hard to think for yourself when you've been indoctrinated to think a certain way from a time when your brain was under construction.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

There are varying degrees of religious brainwashing. This is the extreme variety.

It's hard to think for yourself when you've been indoctrinated to think a certain way from a time when your brain was under construction.
    Agreed. What concerns me more is that studying the bible and learning gun skills are things that go together only if you are preparing for a holy war.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow.

Agreed. What concerns me more is that studying the bible and learning gun skills are things that go together only if you are preparing for a holy war.

The tip of the iceberg you say?
This discussion has been closed.