Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options

hahahaha

Response? I think I know: "The gun neeeeds to be in your hand. A lot of good the gun is in its holster."

The inmates are running the asylum.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

hahahaha

Response? I think I know: "The gun neeeeds to be in your hand. A lot of good the gun is in its holster."

More like “the strawmen are running the asylum”, lol
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961

hahahaha

That has been my argument....if you work the GOP theory forward (more guns = safety) then we all just walk around with guns drawn and pointed at whomever is your closest target.  Wild Wild West style.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    The people who want more security in schools as well as train and arm teachers and school staff are the same people who want to reduce government spending and believe that teachers are overpaid.

:dizzy:
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    There was armed security at the Florida school.
  • Options
    The people who want more security in schools as well as train and arm teachers and school staff are the same people who want to reduce government spending and believe that teachers are overpaid.

yep...fucking insane.  We might as well just fire all the teachers and replace them with troops

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

hahahaha

That has been my argument....if you work the GOP theory forward (more guns = safety) then we all just walk around with guns drawn and pointed at whomever is your closest target.  Wild Wild West style.
    Every new born should be issued a gun at birth.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    riotgrl said:
    riley540 said:
    There isn’t any affective solution I have heard yet. I personally don’t have a good idea to end school shootings, but I haven’t heard any ideas that would actually change anything 
    Really?  I've seen both long term and short term solutions mentioned by numerous people here that don't include complete bans.  Just to clarify, in the short term, background checks, required safety courses, required courses on storing guns are things that won't work?  And in the long term, stocking our schools full of people that can help identify, intervene, and help those with anger issues so they don't execute kids while they are at school, won't work?  I guess my questions is, why won't those things work, in your opinion? 
    We have background checks in place.  Most of the mass shootings the shooters passed and cleared a background check.  We can’t look into the future and say so and so is going to snap in a year.  Safety courses and required courses would be easy for anyone to take and pass.  The main issue is now it’s the individual’s responsibility to follow the laws and what they learned through their mandatory courses. Sure it could possibly help, but I really don’t see that as a viable solution.  The truth is we can’t control what someone is going to do one day to the next.  I really don’t have a solution, it’s a very complicated issue.  Something needs to be done, but it needs to be something effective.  Not a knee jerk reaction so a couple of people in congress can high five themselves and then use it as a platform for being re-elected.  

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited February 2018

Mostly, but I find myself on that side of the argument now.
    ImI just fed up and sick of it.
    I like Thirty's idea.
    Active Duty troops deployed domestically to protect schools.  
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Working the GOP more gun theory further forward....at some point the police will not be able to determine who is good and who is bad.

This is a slippery slope.  

We will move forward with more school shootings, etc.  At some point though there will be a "good guy" that gets killed either by another "good guy" or police.  I'm sure it's happened already but the GOP drones need real life examples before they even begin to understand a problem.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2018
    I love how the right wing puppets and their supporters are all in lockstep that this is a school security issue 

Fucking morons 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Plenty of schools in TX are taking this approach without any incident.  They are not “government” mandates, but local district decisions.  They require the teachers that VOLUNTEER to practice proficiency once a month and attend law enforcement sponsored trainings.  They do not seem to have a lack of volunteers...and they probably aren’t being payed any extra.  They are just willing to be better equipped to protect themselves and their students.  They also put up a big fucking sign in the front of the school to let people know that random people are armed and will shoot your ass if you try to do something like the dumb shit in Florida. I think the sign itself is probably the main deterrent.
     None of these schools have been shot up that I am aware of.  
    Now...continue with the straw man fallacies... 
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    riotgrl said:
    riley540 said:
    There isn’t any affective solution I have heard yet. I personally don’t have a good idea to end school shootings, but I haven’t heard any ideas that would actually change anything 
    Really?  I've seen both long term and short term solutions mentioned by numerous people here that don't include complete bans.  Just to clarify, in the short term, background checks, required safety courses, required courses on storing guns are things that won't work?  And in the long term, stocking our schools full of people that can help identify, intervene, and help those with anger issues so they don't execute kids while they are at school, won't work?  I guess my questions is, why won't those things work, in your opinion? 
    We have background checks in place.  Most of the mass shootings the shooters passed and cleared a background check.  We can’t look into the future and say so and so is going to snap in a year.  Safety courses and required courses would be easy for anyone to take and pass.  The main issue is now it’s the individual’s responsibility to follow the laws and what they learned through their mandatory courses. Sure it could possibly help, but I really don’t see that as a viable solution.  The truth is we can’t control what someone is going to do one day to the next.  I really don’t have a solution, it’s a very complicated issue.  Something needs to be done, but it needs to be something effective.  Not a knee jerk reaction so a couple of people in congress can high five themselves and then use it as a platform for being re-elected.  

The thing missing from this is the justification for people needing firearms with such high capacity for casualties and the justification for not allowing background checks to include actionable, pertinent medical information.
    Nobody needs a rifle that fires 130 rounds per minute, and nobody with so many mental health issues should have access to said rifles.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713

I read somewhere (was it gimme who said this?) that Republicans are against government spending except when they're not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsung said:
    Overmedication of psychiatric drugs?
    So have you changed your position? 
    Do you now support restrictions on firearm ownership without due process? 
    If you think psychiatric drugs are the problem, you would surely think people on those (obviously necessary in many cases) drugs should be restricted, right?
    Doubt it.

You are only trying to point the blame anywhere you can, and that's today's alt-right distraction.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Working the GOP more gun theory further forward....at some point the police will not be able to determine who is good and who is bad.

We will move forward with more school shootings, etc.  At some point though there will be a "good guy" that gets killed either by another "good guy" or police.  I'm sure it's happened already but the GOP drones need real life examples before they even begin to understand a problem.

That’s why the schools that have implemented this work closely with law enforcement.  
    You know, I could come up with plenty of anecdotal scenarios where this would work to meet all of yours that you keep throwing out arguing why it wouldn’t...
    Hell, putting a sign up saying all teachers are armed and not actually having anyone armed would be better than nothing.  In my opinion, these people need deterrents.  There are plenty of deterrents that do not require politically unrealistic changed laws.  They would probably require a lot less funds than legislation as well...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

That’s why the schools that have implemented this work closely with law enforcement.  
    You know, I could come up with plenty of anecdotal scenarios where this would work to meet all of yours that you keep throwing out arguing why it wouldn’t...
    Hell, putting a sign up saying all teachers are armed and not actually having anyone armed would be better than nothing.  In my opinion, these people need deterrents.  There are plenty of deterrents that do not require politically unrealistic changed laws.  They would probably require a lot less funds than legislation as well...
    No you can't....because the scenarios I laid out are going to happen.

It's as simple as looking at why the USA has these problems and no other country does.  You can argue your way out of that.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    personally I think you have to be a complete idiot to think the solution to mass shootings is more guns.  it really is an absurd premise.  
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:

It's as simple as looking at why the USA has these problems and no other country does.  You can argue your way out of that.
    I can, easily. Here’s one:
    Someone armed to the teeth goes up to a school, walks in and starts shooting.  Teacher pops out the door and shoots back...The shooter then either offs themseves or takes rounds and is immobilized.
    or
    Someone goes looking for a soft target and sees a sign saying that the school is armed...changes their mind.
    or
    Armed VOLUNTEERS at the school meet once a month with local law enforcement to go through exercises and work together on solutions together.  A situation starts to unfold and the teachers follow protocol and training do not start shooting at each other...
    See, anyone can come up with anecdotes...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Someone armed to the teeth goes up to a school, walks in and starts shooting.  Teacher pops out the door and shoots back...The shooter then either offs themseves or takes rounds and is immobilized.
    or
    Someone goes looking for a soft target and sees a sign saying that the school is armed...changes their mind.
    or
    Armed VOLUNTEERS at the school meet once a month with local law enforcement to go through exercises and work together on solutions together.  A situation starts to unfold and the teachers follow protocol and and training do not start shooting at each other...
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teacher-left-gun-in-bathroom-elementary-kids-found-it/

Hey great idea PJPOWER!!!

• Options
    Got any others?

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    personally I think you have to be a complete idiot to think the solution to mass shootings is more guns.  it really is an absurd premise.  
    Do you feel the same way about armed security at sporting events and concerts?  Do you feel safer or less safe at a concert knowing there is armed security?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Do you feel the same way about armed security at sporting events and concerts?  Do you feel safer or less safe at a concert knowing there is armed security?

Why do you think mass shootings only happen with this kind of frequency in the United States?

Please be very specific in your response.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    I wanted to see how easily I could walk into a local gun show and purchase a AR15 in PA. $8 door fee and within a half hour, I had a AR15, 2 clips and 500 rounds of ammo for less than $600! I opted for a very low budget version instead of the more expensive more reputable models. There were six at the show from $429 to more than $1400.
    I filled out two separate forms and provided my ID, handed over the cash and walked out a Glorified G
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

or
    or
    Armed VOLUNTEERS at the school meet once a month with local law enforcement to go through exercises and work together on solutions together.  A situation starts to unfold and the teachers follow protocol and and training do not start shooting at each other...
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-teacher-left-gun-in-bathroom-elementary-kids-found-it/

Did anyone get shot?  I feel that the odds of a random occurrence like this happening are outweighed by the deterrent factor to someone coming in and shooting up those students.  Sounds like the teacher got dealt with accordingly...
  • Options
    Got any others?
    Plenty, but I choose to argue this topic in ways other than throwing out anecdotal “what ifs” and straw man arguments.  
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

or
    or

Did anyone get shot?  I feel that the odds of a random occurrence like this happening are outweighed by the deterrent factor of someone coming in and shooting up those students.  Sounds like the teacher got dealt with accordingly...
    LOL....unreal

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Most sporting events and arenas now have metal detectors and you get wanded going in.  You can never be 100% safe but I don't think you need 1000s of armed guards at sporting events and concerts.  and to be honest i've never gone into a game or concert and said to myself 'wow i'ms sure glad there are guards here, now i feel safe'. not once.   What's next guard towers on the top of schools?  on every block in every city?  get weapons made for war out the hands of citizens. it's really not complicated.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

or
    or

Did anyone get shot?  I feel that the odds of a random occurrence like this happening are outweighed by the deterrent factor of someone coming in and shooting up those students.  Sounds like the teacher got dealt with accordingly...
    LOL....unreal
    As are your anecdotal “what ifs”.  
    Here’s one, what if that teacher that shielded the students had been concealed carrying?  Would that have increased or decreased the odds of protecting his students?

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Most sporting events and arenas now have metal detectors and you get wanded going in.  You can never be 100% safe but I don't think you need 1000s of armed guards at sporting events and concerts.  and to be honest i've never gone into a game or concert and said to myself 'wow i'ms sure glad there are guards here, now i feel safe'. not once.   What's next guard towers on the top of schools?  on every block in every city?  get weapons made for war out the hands of citizens. it's really not complicated.
    That slippery slope argument isn't any better than the pro-gun ones regarding gun confiscations.

This discussion has been closed.