America's Gun Violence

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    CM189191 said:
    Rob Gronkowski should never be allowed to own purchase or handle a gun again
    Why not?
    his house got robbed during the SB and he is missing "possibly some guns". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    CM189191 said:
    Rob Gronkowski should never be allowed to own purchase or handle a gun again
    Why not?
    his house got robbed during the SB and he is missing "possibly some guns". 
    According to local media, they were not his guns. He doesn't own guns. They supposedly belonged to his room mate, who did not have them locked up.

Now, why a guy who earns what he earns has room mates is a head-scratcher for me, but that part isn't reported.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I've heard of millionaire athletes having roommates before, and it was a head scratcher for me too. I think it stems from them always having buddies around in college, and not wanting to be alone even when they can afford it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The 'roommates' are often long time friends who serve as personal assistants to these guys. It's smart: they have someone to pick them up when they have been partying... they have someone to drive them around... they have someone to deal with household stuff... they just make life easier for the athletes.

As well... they serve as companions. It's a symbiotic relationship where the athlete gets the services they need and the friend gets paid and lives 'the good life' for a while. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    The 'roommates' are often long time friends who serve as personal assistants to these guys. It's smart: they have someone to pick them up when they have been partying... they have someone to drive them around... they have someone to deal with household stuff... they just make life easier for the athletes.

As well... they serve as companions. It's a symbiotic relationship where the athlete gets the services they need and the friend gets paid and lives 'the good life' for a while. 
    I've actually read that a lot of pro athletes who are both successful often room together. not just a friend who becomes an assistant. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The 'roommates' are often long time friends who serve as personal assistants to these guys. It's smart: they have someone to pick them up when they have been partying... they have someone to drive them around... they have someone to deal with household stuff... they just make life easier for the athletes.

I've actually read that a lot of pro athletes who are both successful often room together. not just a friend who becomes an assistant. 

Heard.

I just offered one situation that is more common than advertised. When athletes join professional leagues, they are typically very young (19-22). A bunch of cash is dumped on them and sharks begin to circle them- sniffing the wealth.

The athletes that choose to bring an old friend into their life to manage households and be a personal assistant as they get their life organized do so because they trust these people. The friends are young themselves and are usually very eager to serve in such a capacity for a year or two- it's either that or working at some entry level job in their hometown.  
    The 'roommates' are often long time friends who serve as personal assistants to these guys. It's smart: they have someone to pick them up when they have been partying... they have someone to drive them around... they have someone to deal with household stuff... they just make life easier for the athletes.

Heard.

I just offered one situation that is more common than advertised. When athletes join professional leagues, they are typically very young (19-22). A bunch of cash is dumped on them and sharks begin to circle them- sniffing the wealth.

The athletes that choose to bring an old friend into their life to manage households and be a personal assistant as they get their life organized do so because they trust these people. The friends are young themselves and are usually very eager to serve in such a capacity for a year or two- it's either that or working at some entry level job in their hometown.  
    no, I said "read", not heard. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I know, Hugh.

I said 'heard'... as in I have heard what you have said.
    I know, Hugh.

I said 'heard'... as in I have heard what you have said.
    LOL, gotcha. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Two Westerville, OH police officers were shot and killed today. One of the officers was the husband of a friend of mine from high school. They have 3 daughter together. I hate these stories but this one hits way too close to home. One of my best friends is also a Westerville police officer. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • A rodent in Kentucky shot and killed four people (it is speculation that it is his parents and his girlfriend and her mother) in Kentucky.

Fortunately... he then killed himself too (guns can be useful). Four people and one worm dead.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/horrific-murder-spree-leaves-5-dead-in-kentucky-sheriff/ar-BBIYzFJ?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

Price said deputies are continuing to investigate and asked for prayers for the families of the victims. Soo... everybody say some prayers I guess. 
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2018
    KC138045 said:
    Two Westerville, OH police officers were shot and killed today. One of the officers was the husband of a friend of mine from high school. They have 3 daughter together. I hate these stories but this one hits way too close to home. One of my best friends is also a Westerville police officer. 
    I'm sorry about your friend's loss, & the other officer that was shot and killed.
    When I see a Cop, I Thank a Cop.
    Because all to often, they get up to go to work, kiss their wife & kids goodbye never sure if they will come home or not.  All to often they don't make it home.
    First responders, they never know what they are going to run into.
    I posted this story earlier, but thought it was worth posting here again, here is a beautiful 25 year old police officer responding to a domestic violence call, & he gets shot in the face before he even gets out of the squad car by the guy who called 911 in the first place.  It's craziness.
    Wife & young baby at home.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2018/01/28/detroit-police-officer-glenn-doss-dies/1073154001/
    Post edited by RYME on
    Same story, different angle.
    http://wtvr.com/2018/01/29/glenn-doss-obit/
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,790
    Can we please stop putting police up on a pedestal already? 
    1) they knew what they signed up for. Don't want to put your life in the line everyday? Then get another job. 
    2) it's not even top ten most dangerous professions
    3) they're more likely to kill someone else than be killed

I tried to thank an officer for his service, monitoring our neighborhood, parking lot and building. Coming home from work and I'm wearing a suit and tie. He returned the compliment by drawing his weapon because he perceived me as some sort of threat. 

Very few cops are heros. Most I've had the pleasure of knowing, are assholes. Some, I assume are good people. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • CM189191 said:
    1) they knew what they signed up for. Don't want to put your life in the line everyday? Then get another job. 

I tried to thank an officer for his service, monitoring our neighborhood, parking lot and building. Coming home from work and I'm wearing a suit and tie. He returned the compliment by drawing his weapon because he perceived me as some sort of threat. 

Very few cops are heros. Most I've had the pleasure of knowing, are assholes. Some, I assume are good people. 
    Police on a pedestal? Around here?

Get f**king serious. 

Very few cops are murderers too, but that doesn't stop the barrage of comments condemning the entire nation's force the moment some incident occurs.

And... I notice you've never bothered to moderate the boards in those instances (we know your bias).
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    edited February 2018
    CM189191 said:

They knew what the signed up for, so we shouldn’t acknowledge it?
    so veteran’s day should only be for those drafted? Everyone else signed up for it, so why should we thank them for fighting for our freedom, right?

And please help me if I have to listen to one more New Yorker thank another fireman for their service on 9/11, alive or dead. You’re a fireman and you put out a fire, big whoop, get over it. That’s what you signed up for.

and what’s with tipping? You knew you’d have to bring me food and drink when you signed up to be a waiter, why should I pay extra for doing your job? There’s lots of jobs that pay more if the money isn’t enough.

Do I have that about right?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    CM189191 said:

I don't believe for one second that you thanked a police officer.  And then you fabricate that he drew his wepon on you for thanking him for his service, come on man, don't insult us all.
    Mace, I think you said somewhere that your dad is a police officer right?  If so i'd like to thank your dad as well.
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

I don't believe for one second that you thanked a police officer.  And then you fabricate that he drew his wepon on you for thanking him for his service, come on man, don't insult us all.
    you are calling him a liar based on absolutely nothing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Another senseless gun murder.  2 cops that, by all accounts, were some of the really good ones, the ones that give you hope.
    Ohio is reeling from this news.

It's a terrible tragedy and I don't mean any disrespect to the victims' families, but the fawning over police deaths here in America seems to have become a fad/fetish type issue.  No other group gets the attention or the collective gnashing of teeth and wailing.  Firemen, soldiers, children killed by drunk drivers or abuse, children we bomb in other countries...none come close.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited February 2018
    RYME said:
    Mace, I think you said somewhere that your dad is a police officer right?  If so i'd like to thank your dad as well.
    Yes, my dad and brother in LA county. Thank you.
    I don;t think anyone who is a cop in a big city like that can work for more than a few years and not know someone personally or who they've worked with who was killed in the line of duty. My dad who worked for 33 years could probably name easily more than 5 he personally knew without having to think too hard, and probably a lot more from just ones he knows of but didn't know. I'd like to see CM name 5 co-workers who did on the job.
    Usually the only ones you hear about, other than local news, are shot. Shootings make up about 1/3 of cops killed on duty. Accidents, that include cops being rammed by a car are about equal to shootings.
    http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/causes.html?referrer=https://us.search.yahoo.com/

That number doesn't report the number who are permanently disabled either, just killed. Which is probably a lot higher.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:
    RYME said:
    I don;t think anyone who is a cop in a big city like that can work for more than a few years and not know someone personally or who they've worked with who was killed in the line of duty. My dad who worked for 33 years could probably name easily more than 5 he personally knew without having to think too hard, and probably a lot more from just ones he knows of but didn't know. I'd like to see CM name 5 co-workers who did on the job.
    Usually the only ones you hear about, other than local news, are shot. Shootings make up about 1/3 of cops killed on duty. Accidents, that include cops being rammed by a car are about equal to shootings.
    http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/causes.html?referrer=https://us.search.yahoo.com/

That number doesn't report the number who are permanently disabled either, just killed. Which is probably a lot higher.

Depends what line of work CM is in.  CM didn't claim to personally know coworkers that had died, just that police work wasn't in the top ten for fatalities, which indeed it isn't. In the US, it's 14th.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/careers/2018/01/09/workplace-fatalities-25-most-dangerous-jobs-america/1002500001/

Coming from an area with a resource-based economy, I have personally known or known of loggers and fishers who have died. Any logger or fisher could tell you of coworkers they have lost. It's also worth noting that deaths of police officers get a lot of press; much more so that deaths in other fields, so perhaps people underestimate how dangerous other jobs can be. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited February 2018
    mace1229 said:
    RYME said:

Depends what line of work CM is in.  CM didn't claim to personally know coworkers that had died, just that police work wasn't in the top ten for fatalities, which indeed it isn't. In the US, it's 14th.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/careers/2018/01/09/workplace-fatalities-25-most-dangerous-jobs-america/1002500001/

Coming from an area with a resource-based economy, I have personally known or known of loggers and fishers who have died. Any logger or fisher could tell you of coworkers they have lost. It's also worth noting that deaths of police officers get a lot of press; much more so that deaths in other fields, so perhaps people underestimate how dangerous other jobs can be. 
    Absolutely it isn't the most dangerous job But to minimize that risk because "they signed up for it" is just ridiculous, and to say they don;t deserve to be recognized for it is just stupid. It wasn't that I thought cops have the most dangerous job in the world, it was the dismissiveness (is that a word?) of the risk they take every day, even making them out to be the bad guy and even saying if you don't want the risk then don't be a cop and that we shouldn't recognize them for being brave. It was ridiculous. 
    Probably the reason police get more press is because most of the ones you hear about are murdered because of their job, not accidents. I'm sure if some tree hugging cult went out and murdered a bunch of loggers that would make headline news too.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    RYME said:

Absolutely it isn't the most dangerous job But to minimize that risk because "they signed up for it" is just ridiculous, and to say they don;t deserve to be recognized for it is just stupid. It wasn't that I thought cops have the most dangerous job in the world, it was the dismissiveness (is that a word?) of the risk they take every day, even making them out to be the bad guy and even saying if you don't want the risk then don't be a cop and that we shouldn't recognize them for being brave. It was ridiculous. 
    Probably the reason police get more press is because most of the ones you hear about are murdered because of their job, not accidents. I'm sure if some tree hugging cult went out and murdered a bunch of loggers that would make headline news too.
    Mace, I would like to thank your dad again, & your brother.
  • mace1229 said:
    RYME said:

Police getting killed on the job are hardly ever 'accidents' (outside of car crashes or the sort). Police getting killed on the job are murders.

There's a difference between a logger or machinist getting killed on the job as a result of a workplace mishap and an officer getting shot to death by some shitbird.
  • CM's point is exceptionally weak. So is the support for it.
    mace1229 said:
    RYME said:

Police getting killed on the job are hardly ever 'accidents' (outside of car crashes or the sort). Police getting killed on the job are murders.

There's a difference between a logger or machinist getting killed on the job as a result of a workplace mishap and an officer getting shot to death by some shitbird.
    Even many of the car crashes are not "accidents." If it is the result of a high speed chase or other illegal activity the law will still rule that as homicide. One reason why more departments are restricting when to allow a chase. Which means more bad guys know all they have to do is drive fast and they get away now.
    According to CM, Glen Doss Jr, here should have known what he was signing up for when he joined the Detroit Police Department, and Glen Doss Jr, should have expected to get shot in the face when responding to a domestic violence call.  He knew what he signed himself up for right?  No big deal right.  He should've gotten himself a different job if he didn't want to encounter that.

http://wtvr.com/2018/01/29/glenn-doss-obit/
  • Less cops would be shot in the face if there were less guns floating around. It’s why the BOP and other police organizations differ from and oppose the policy advocacy of the NRA.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • RYME said:
    CM189191 said:

you are calling him a liar based on absolutely nothing. 

So people must believe everything that is typed on these threads as the truth- no matter how ridiculous those words sound?

If I'm honest... I don't believe the story either. For one... it's far fetched- very unbelievable. Secondly... CM's posting history on the subject of police and police authority is extreme. He hardly sounds like the type of person to go out of his way to 'thank' an officer for anything.
This discussion has been closed.