America's Gun Violence

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    I really don't know why you insist on calling me on items that make sense to even a 3-year old. I guess that is what gets you up in the morning, I'm glad I can help. You've argued with me even on the rare occasions I said you were right, you came back and debated that. It is really amusing.
    It really is my own fault in expecting everyone to participate in a respectful conversation, adult. I know, I should have learn not to expect so much by now, but that is my fault
    I'll try one more time to explain the rationale. 
    I asked for clarification because I wanted to know more about the topic being discused. I actually cared, I didn't want to just insult people, but wanted to engage in a real conversation and learn from it.  I wanted to know if there had been 11 school whootings, why none have been major news.
    After reading that article it is clear why. Most, yes, would be a school shooting under any definition. SHootng out school windows is horrible, I have never said otherwise. But I can see why that did not make national news, so that is why I'm not surprised we have not heard of them. Does not make it okay, does not mean I swept it under the rug.

I'm sorry if you can;t put together the logic to see the flaw in counting a grown man's suicide on a piece of property that is not a school, but since it was a school years ago go ahead and count it as a school shooting anyway. I think the media and anyone else inflating data for their argument does not help. There is plenty of data that is horrific enough about school and gun violence, no need to make up new data. The 7 or 8 that I think everyone would agree with is a school shooting is staggering enough, why the need to count a grown man's suicide on a closed school. It's not a functional school at that point. Are we going to count any person who ever went to school at some point in their life as a student involved shooting too?

I have no issue with that article. There has not been talks on gun control.  I don;t know why you think I would have an issue with it.
    You are asking too much if you expect to carry on a respectable conversation with some of the AMT addicts these days, lol.  A couple (not to mention names) will start responding to and quoting themselves if you wait long enough...It’s kinda pitiful...pathetic even.  Don’t get too frustrated.  I am reminded of the saying “They would argue with a fence post”.  
    As for gun violence, the issue has taken a back seat for me.  Things like the new fentenol/heroin epidemic and gang culture in some of the “shithole” cities like Chicago and Baltimore are of more concern to me these days.

So what are you doing to try to improve those situations?
    What situations are you referring to?

The ones you say are of more concern to you - fentanyl and "gang culture".
    I have counseled numerous kids on how to not get caught up and how to get out of gangs and encourage parents to utilize free after school programs in my city.  There is not a whole lot I can do for Baltimore or Chicago, though, those places are shitholes.  I do not know what can be done there to turn things around.  Gang culture in and of itself can be an addiction and there is a heavy gang culture in those places.  It would take military interventions to clean up some of those cities and I do not support that, so I am a bit at a loss...that’s why I’m concerned.
    As a former, and very proud, former resident of Baltimore City I can tell you unequivocally that you are wrong when it comes to Baltimore. There are many awesome parts of that city with great people. And NO I'm not referring at all to the tourist trap that is the Inner Harbor.
    As for Chicago I have been there multiple times, sometimes I went had nothing to do with PJ, and it too is a city with great neighborhoods and awesome people.
    If given the reason and opportunity I would happily live in either city.
    To each their own I suppose.  If you are complicit with the heroin/gang culture in those cities, then who am I to argue.
    Yes, Chicago is a terrible city.  Please stay away.  You also clearly have no idea what you're talking about. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    I really don't know why you insist on calling me on items that make sense to even a 3-year old. I guess that is what gets you up in the morning, I'm glad I can help. You've argued with me even on the rare occasions I said you were right, you came back and debated that. It is really amusing.
    It really is my own fault in expecting everyone to participate in a respectful conversation, adult. I know, I should have learn not to expect so much by now, but that is my fault
    I asked for clarification because I wanted to know more about the topic being discused. I actually cared, I didn't want to just insult people, but wanted to engage in a real conversation and learn from it.  I wanted to know if there had been 11 school whootings, why none have been major news.
    After reading that article it is clear why. Most, yes, would be a school shooting under any definition. SHootng out school windows is horrible, I have never said otherwise. But I can see why that did not make national news, so that is why I'm not surprised we have not heard of them. Does not make it okay, does not mean I swept it under the rug.

I'm sorry if you can;t put together the logic to see the flaw in counting a grown man's suicide on a piece of property that is not a school, but since it was a school years ago go ahead and count it as a school shooting anyway. I think the media and anyone else inflating data for their argument does not help. There is plenty of data that is horrific enough about school and gun violence, no need to make up new data. The 7 or 8 that I think everyone would agree with is a school shooting is staggering enough, why the need to count a grown man's suicide on a closed school. It's not a functional school at that point. Are we going to count any person who ever went to school at some point in their life as a student involved shooting too?

I have no issue with that article. There has not been talks on gun control.  I don;t know why you think I would have an issue with it.
    You are asking too much if you expect to carry on a respectable conversation with some of the AMT addicts these days, lol.  A couple (not to mention names) will start responding to and quoting themselves if you wait long enough...It’s kinda pitiful...pathetic even.  Don’t get too frustrated.  I am reminded of the saying “They would argue with a fence post”.  
    As for gun violence, the issue has taken a back seat for me.  Things like the new fentenol/heroin epidemic and gang culture in some of the “shithole” cities like Chicago and Baltimore are of more concern to me these days.
    It definitely is easier to face problems with which you aren't complicit! 
    No doubt about that.
    I don’t know if it is complicity or cynicism actually.  I have yet to see anyone here suggest tenable solutions based on research that would reduce gun violence as a whole in the US.  It would take something totally different than the approach other countries have taken, but all I hear is “Australia did it”.  Just a bunch of hot air and steam getting released here these days.  I do not blame people for not wanting to dive into that well.
    You can dream of a gunless utopia all you want, meanwhile the largest firearms show in the country is taking place within walking distance from the worst mass shooting in recent history.  Seems like it would actually be easier to move to Australia than expect elected representatives to actually make meaningful changes.  So yeah, that’s why I stay out of these POINTLESS discussions for the most part these days.   
    The only thing that makes solutions untenable is your insistence in total unfettered access to firearms.
    A complete firearm registry would have a huge impact on the flow of firearms to inner city gangs, that is a tenable solution based on common sense and proven research.
    Shut off the iron pipeline by ending unregistered sales, period.  
    Simple, inarguably effective, and does not infringe on law abiding citizen's right to bear arms.
    Proven research?  That’s all grand until they make the firearm untraceable to the previous “registered” owner.  Ever heard of something called a nail file?  How about a dremmel tool?  Most people I know would report a stolen firearm, but those that make a living running guns to the highest bidder is probably not above scratching off a serial number or two...or swapping out a barrel.  Hey, I’m for it, but even the laziest dropout could make a firearm untracked to the original buyer given the motivation.  Hardly a “solution”...
    Right, because we put a man on the moon and cloned a monkey, but we can't beat a lazy dropout with a nail file.
    :anguished:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2018
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

I have counseled numerous kids on how to not get caught up and how to get out of gangs and encourage parents to utilize free after school programs in my city.  There is not a whole lot I can do for Baltimore or Chicago, though, those places are shitholes.  I do not know what can be done there to turn things around.  Gang culture in and of itself can be an addiction and there is a heavy gang culture in those places.  It would take military interventions to clean up some of those cities and I do not support that, so I am a bit at a loss...that’s why I’m concerned.
    As a former, and very proud, former resident of Baltimore City I can tell you unequivocally that you are wrong when it comes to Baltimore. There are many awesome parts of that city with great people. And NO I'm not referring at all to the tourist trap that is the Inner Harbor.
    As for Chicago I have been there multiple times, sometimes I went had nothing to do with PJ, and it too is a city with great neighborhoods and awesome people.
    To each their own I suppose.  If you are complicit with the heroin/gang culture in those cities, then who am I to argue.
    Yes, Chicago is a terrible city.  Please stay away.  You also clearly have no idea what you're talking about. 
    So Chicago does not have a gang/murder/drug problem?  Probably not in your neighborhood, right?  I’ve visited Chicago and had fun, ate pizza, went to a Cubs game, had my hot dog with way too much shit on it...Don’t think I’ll move there any time soon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago
     The city's overall crime rate, especially the violent crime rate, is substantially higher than the US average. Chicago was responsible for nearly half of 2016's increase in homicides in the US, though national crime rates stayed near historic lows.”

Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

So Chicago does not have a gang/murder/drug problem?  Probably not in your neighborhood, right?  I’ve visited Chicago and had fun, ate pizza, went to a Cubs game, had my hot dog with way too much shit on it...Don’t think I’ll move there any time soon.
    You can put the whole kitchen sink on a hotdog, all sorts of idiotic additions, but God Himself can't save you from the looney tunes goofballs if you put ketchup on it!
    Poppy seeds and tomato?  Check.
    A whole freakin' pickle?  Check.
    A little stripe of ketchup?  Call the food police!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Just to be clear....anyone who lives in Chicago and Baltimore are "complicit with the heroin/gang culture"?

Where do you live? I'm sure there is some level of crime and drug problems. So then you are complicit as well because you live there?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Just to be clear....anyone who lives in Chicago and Baltimore are "complicit with the heroin/gang culture"?

Where do you live? I'm sure there is some level of crime and drug problems. So then you are complicit as well because you live there?
    There’s some confusion as to what “complicit” means, apparently. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Sorry, that was me projecting as par for the norm around here:  If you are not supportive of each and every gun control measure stated here then you are deemed complicit.  I maybe should have stated “comfortable with living in a city with such high gang/drug/murder problems”.
    I would not be comfortable living in a city so far above the national average in these problem areas,but who am I judge if you are...the pizza is great after all.
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

You can put the whole kitchen sink on a hotdog, all sorts of idiotic additions, but God Himself can't save you from the looney tunes goofballs if you put ketchup on it!
    Poppy seeds and tomato?  Check.
    A whole freakin' pickle?  Check.
    A little stripe of ketchup?  Call the food police!
    Lol, I am more of a cabbage/onion/mustard/cheese person :). No fucking ketchup anywhere near my dog!

rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.
    I don’t know if it is complicity or cynicism actually.  I have yet to see anyone here suggest tenable solutions based on research that would reduce gun violence as a whole in the US.  It would take something totally different than the approach other countries have taken, but all I hear is “Australia did it”.  Just a bunch of hot air and steam getting released here these days.  I do not blame people for not wanting to dive into that well.
    You can dream of a gunless utopia all you want, meanwhile the largest firearms show in the country is taking place within walking distance from the worst mass shooting in recent history.  Seems like it would actually be easier to move to Australia than expect elected representatives to actually make meaningful changes.  So yeah, that’s why I stay out of these POINTLESS discussions for the most part these days.   
    The only thing that makes solutions untenable is your insistence in total unfettered access to firearms.
    A complete firearm registry would have a huge impact on the flow of firearms to inner city gangs, that is a tenable solution based on common sense and proven research.
    Simple, inarguably effective, and does not infringe on law abiding citizen's right to bear arms.
    Proven research?  That’s all grand until they make the firearm untraceable to the previous “registered” owner.  Ever heard of something called a nail file?  How about a dremmel tool?  Most people I know would report a stolen firearm, but those that make a living running guns to the highest bidder is probably not above scratching off a serial number or two...or swapping out a barrel.  Hey, I’m for it, but even the laziest dropout could make a firearm untracked to the original buyer given the motivation.  Hardly a “solution”...
    Right, because we put a man on the moon and cloned a monkey, but we can't beat a lazy dropout with a nail file.
    Dude, we can’t even beat kids eating laundry detergent, lol.  We can’t beat the people that sell stuff that eats a person from the inside out.  
    Hillary couldn’t beat Donald effing Trump...that’s the state of the union in this day and age.

• PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.
    Dude, we can’t even beat kids eating laundry detergent, lol.  We can’t beat the people that sell stuff that eats a person from the inside out.  
    Hillary couldn’t beat Donald effing Trump...that’s the state of the union in this day and age.

Without an assist from Russia, Russia, Russia.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

Without an assist from Russia, Russia, Russia.
    So you’ve stated once or twice, lol
  • mace1229 said:

I apologize for my tone of yesterday as I was having a bad day and I took it out on you. I’m sorry. However, this issue, gun violence in America, is a too close to home issue for me, in case you haven’t noticed, hence my reactions to some of the stuff posted. That said, the issue I have with your line of argument is that your first response always seems to be, to me, to minimize the significance of the information presented, stating that you “did some research”, without posting the links to your research and/or resorting to personal experiences or your dad having been a cop to poke holes in the original poster’s or respondent's argument. Rarely do you ever say what you really intend or mean or do your own thorough research prior to posting a response, and back it up with links to reputable information. And even when you do, like when you went back and found more information or when someone else points out that the article defined the parameters of the information, an article a three year old should understand, you try to change the argument by saying something like, “pellet guns are not defined as firearms.” Are pellet guns, guns (you’ll put your eye out, kid)? Maybe they should be called “pellet slingers” or “pellet non-firearm throwers?” Or, “they were suicides.” It’s a disingenuous way of debating and makes me question your sincerity in supporting sensible gun control legislation that you claim to support, not to mention a passive-aggressive way of debating, particularly if you get called out. Another example is how you characterized the problem, that because one school was a former school and closed, that it shouldn’t be counted, thus it was “misleading” and as such, your tone and smugness suggests that all the information in the article shouldn’t be taken seriously or be considered valid. Or that because you hadn’t heard about them, the problem doesn’t exist or, “its news to you.” Do most of us post conspiracy theories? Some do but most don’t. The gun violence in America debate then becomes a debate about “misleading headlines” and only later do you acknowledge that its not entirely “misleading.” I, and other posters, have repeatedly linked sources of facts, indisputable, reliable facts regarding the carnage that seemingly unfettered access to firearms causes and the reasons why and all you seemingly offer, to me at least, is whataboutism. Other pro-gun people on here think that me and other posters want to eliminate guns completely and entirely and live in some gun free utopia despite none of us having ever suggested such a thing. Remember, every gun comes into existence as a legal firearm and every legal purchase is made by a “responsible” gun buyer.

I suggested you’d have an issue with the opinion piece I posted because you typically do, and you attack it with, “I did some research” or “I found some articles.” Again, rarely linking to them or providing more background on where you got your opposing information. Put it out there and let’s have an honest debate.

We have to start somewhere regarding trying to reduce the carnage but maybe you and PJPower are right, nothing can be done.

Again, my apologies for attacking you, I’m sure you’re a great person and we’d laugh and rock out over beers and PJ if we ever met up at a show. I’m also fairly certain that the collective posters of these forums, well, most anyway, could do a much better job of solving a myriad of problems than the current administration. Peace.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229 said:

I apologize for my tone of yesterday as I was having a bad day and I took it out on you. I’m sorry. However, this issue, gun violence in America, is a too close to home issue for me, in case you haven’t noticed, hence my reactions to some of the stuff posted. That said, the issue I have with your line of argument is that your first response always seems to be, to me, to minimize the significance of the information presented, stating that you “did some research”, without posting the links to your research and/or resorting to personal experiences or your dad having been a cop to poke holes in the original poster’s or respondent's argument. Rarely do you ever say what you really intend or mean or do your own thorough research prior to posting a response, and back it up with links to reputable information. And even when you do, like when you went back and found more information or when someone else points out that the article defined the parameters of the information, an article a three year old should understand, you try to change the argument by saying something like, “pellet guns are not defined as firearms.” Are pellet guns, guns (you’ll put your eye out, kid)? Maybe they should be called “pellet slingers” or “pellet non-firearm throwers?” Or, “they were suicides.” It’s a disingenuous way of debating and makes me question your sincerity in supporting sensible gun control legislation that you claim to support, not to mention a passive-aggressive way of debating, particularly if you get called out. Another example is how you characterized the problem, that because one school was a former school and closed, that it shouldn’t be counted, thus it was “misleading” and as such, your tone and smugness suggests that all the information in the article shouldn’t be taken seriously or be considered valid. Or that because you hadn’t heard about them, the problem doesn’t exist or, “its news to you.” Do most of us post conspiracy theories? Some do but most don’t. The gun violence in America debate then becomes a debate about “misleading headlines” and only later do you acknowledge that its not entirely “misleading.” I, and other posters, have repeatedly linked sources of facts, indisputable, reliable facts regarding the carnage that seemingly unfettered access to firearms causes and the reasons why and all you seemingly offer, to me at least, is whataboutism. Other pro-gun people on here think that me and other posters want to eliminate guns completely and entirely and live in some gun free utopia despite none of us having ever suggested such a thing. Remember, every gun comes into existence as a legal firearm and every legal purchase is made by a “responsible” gun buyer.

I suggested you’d have an issue with the opinion piece I posted because you typically do, and you attack it with, “I did some research” or “I found some articles.” Again, rarely linking to them or providing more background on where you got your opposing information. Put it out there and let’s have an honest debate.

We have to start somewhere regarding trying to reduce the carnage but maybe you and PJPower are right, nothing can be done.

Again, my apologies for attacking you, I’m sure you’re a great person and we’d laugh and rock out over beers and PJ if we ever met up at a show. I’m also fairly certain that the collective posters of these forums, well, most anyway, could do a much better job of solving a myriad of problems than the current administration. Peace.

A responsible post. Nice!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2018

..... saying something like, “pellet guns are not defined as firearms.” Are pellet guns, guns (you’ll put your eye out, kid)? Maybe they should be called “pellet slingers” or “pellet non-firearm throwers?” .......

Kind of a tangent, but mildly relevant:

....members of the Gun Trace Task Force kept BB guns in the trunks of their vehicles “in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them.”

That's some crazy shit
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

I'm not an engineer or an expert on firearm production, but I'd bet it wouldn't take a motivated genius in the field more than a week to devise a serial number that can only be accessed by destroying the weapon, or that is printed inside with radioactive type that is detectable but not erasable.
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

I'm not an engineer or an expert on firearm production, but I'd bet it wouldn't take a motivated genius in the field more than a week to devise a serial number that can only be accessed by destroying the weapon, or that is printed inside with radioactive type that is detectable but not erasable.
    So now it has gone from registering a firearm to creating fail-proof technology and requiring it in all current and future firearms...yeah, I’m sure that will get enough bi-partisan support to make it a reality in the near future.  Not to mention the garage mechanics that can make all of the untraceable lower receivers that they desire with a $1000 (or stolen) 3d printer.  
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

Smart guns would solve a lot of these issues.  We have the technology. 

firearm that includes a safety feature or features that allow it to fire only when activated by an authorized user. These safety features can prevent misuse, accidental shootings, gun thefts, and use of the weapon against the owner. Smart guns distinguish between authorized users and unauthorized users in several different ways. Including the use of RFID chips or other proximity tokens, fingerprint recognition, magnetic rings, or mechanical locks.
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

So now it has gone from registering a firearm to creating fail-proof technology and requiring it in all current and future firearms...yeah, I’m sure that will get enough bi-partisan support to make it a reality in the near future.  Not to mention the garage mechanics that can make all of the untraceable lower receivers that they desire with a $1000 (or stolen) 3d printer.  
    Oh, so you aren't interested in solutions at all?
    That's certainly the impression you give.
    You will always find a reason not to even try, and that's why I called you complicit.
    I think if a comprehensive plan was put together with clear evidence it would work, without any infringement on your deadly hobby, and with hope of actually passing, you would oppose it for no other reason than that it came from leftists.  

CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

firearm that includes a safety feature or features that allow it to fire only when activated by an authorized user. These safety features can prevent misuse, accidental shootings, gun thefts, and use of the weapon against the owner. Smart guns distinguish between authorized users and unauthorized users in several different ways. Including the use of RFID chips or other proximity tokens, fingerprint recognition, magnetic rings, or mechanical locks.
    Here is an article that discusses some of the smartgun deficiencies:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephsteinberg/2014/05/04/smartguns/

rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

You will always find a reason not to even try, and that's why I called you complicit.
    I think if a comprehensive plan was put together with clear evidence it would work, without any infringement on your deadly hobby, and with hope of actually passing, you would oppose it for no other reason than that it came from leftists.  

Nope, if that happened, I would totally support it.  It has not yet.
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

Nope, if that happened, I would totally support it.  It has not yet.
    Your posting history disagrees with this.  You don't embrace solutions, you try to poke holes in them, even when the holes you are poking are obviously pinholes.
    Seatbelts aren't a perfect solution to vehicle safety, but that's no reason to oppose them, just like there's no logical reason to oppose a comprehensive registry.
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

No doubt about that.

Here is an article that discusses some of the smartgun deficiencies:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephsteinberg/2014/05/04/smartguns/

Here is a sentence that discusses some of the gun deficiencies:

Guns Are Now The Third-Leading Cause Of Death Among Children
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited January 2018
    I think someone has confused the word "tenable" with "perfect". 

If we can't take perfect actions to correct a problem we shouldn't do anything at all.

Edit: I almost forgot the token THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
    Post edited by dignin on
    edited January 2018
    dignin said:

If we can't take perfect actions to correct a problem we shouldn't do anything at all.

Round and round we go.  Off to the next topic!  Keep trying to pass “feel good laws” and I’m sure eventually something will stick...good luck!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Round and round we go.  Off to the next topic!  
    Given the argument is so blatantly one sided... it's more 'oblong and oblong we go'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Round and round we go.  Off to the next topic!  
    Given the argument is so blatantly one sided... it's more 'oblong and oblong we go'.
    Oh, there’s the cheerleader, I was wondering what happened to you!  Have any solutions today or just trolling?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Round and round we go.  Off to the next topic!  Keep trying to pass “feel good laws” and I’m sure eventually something will stick...good luck!
    run away GIF
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

run away GIF
    That’s a good movie...My thoughts and prayers are with you in hopes that you will someday have something to add to the conversation.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

I appreciate the apology, thank you.
    To respond to a few of your points,

In truth I had a different perception of what a school shooting was 2 days ago.  I think most people probably picture a student (or anyone) with a gun shooting directly at other students with the intention to harm or kill multiple students in a k-12 school when they hear "school shooting." That is what I think of anyway. If someone asked for my definition of a school shooting 2 days ago I would not have included suicides or someone outside the school shooting out a window, or the parking lot of a college. Not that they should not be included, it just hadn't occurred to me to include them. I know those things happen, I just never reflected on it.  So when I heard that data I wasn't trying to minimize the events. When I heard it was the 11th school shooting of 2018 I had 2 thoughts.
      1- Is that number accurate?
      2- If so, why were the other 10 not major news. That would be really disturbing to me
    I wanted clarification on the topic. Since I had almost no information myself, I had no link to post, I was just asking for information to help me understand why 10 other shootings did not make the news. 
    So now it isn't surprising or disturbing to me that a school suicide did not make national headlines. I still think it is misleading to claim 11 school shootings. But it doesn't matter, because the 8 or 9 I do agree on is still a big number and a big problem. Calling it 8 shootings instead of 11 doesn't lessen the problem, I was just calling out the media for being misleading. Maybe you and others think it doesn't matter, and in terms of gun violence you're right it really doesn't. But I was just calling a spade when I saw it, not trying to minimize anything.

I know I have mentioned my dad as a cop in the police abuse thread. I can't remember if I did not not here. But if I did it was probably to explain my roots for gun control, how I was raised to fear and respect guns has had an impact on my views and why I believe people who can't respect guns shouldn't own them.

I have never said there is nothing we can do. I am for changes. I am for registration and magazine limits among other changes. There are things we can do. I don't fear the government taking my guns away, I know there are measures we can take that don't leap that far.

I was surprised at your comment about my anticipated response to your article because how many dozens of links have you posted without a comment from me? I think quite a lot. I only respond if I have a question or an issue or can provide some feedback. Most the the time I have nothing to say because I don't know how to respond to gun tragedies. All of those links you've posted where I remain quite is because I agree those are tragedies but I don't know how to prevent/reduce them other than what has already been suggested 100 times on here. So there isn't a way for me to further that discussion. I really can;t recall attacking articles you've posted, that's why it struck me as odd. Maybe the few I have responded to I had real questions that were taken as attacks. Maybe I just had too many margaritas and don't remember, who knows.
    I don't aim to be passive aggressive on this topic. Maybe sometimes it turns into that I am being defensive, but those aren't my intentions when joining a discussion. Looks like we got somewhere today!
This discussion has been closed.