Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:
    And to answer your question, no its not because they can kill. Its just fun. Why aremodel rockets fun? I dont know, they just are. its fun to light a rocket and watch it launch hundreds of feet up. Its fun to shoot clay targets and watch them shatter when you hit them.Most of my guns are .22, essentially the smallest caliber, so it isnt about killing capabilities. 
    Which I guess is why I'm okay with a lot of gun restrictions. I can still target shoot with smaller magazine limits, I can wait 10 days before shooting, I can pass a background check. 
    Ok, of course bows and arrows were created to kill also but I don't think we need fear their use in mass murders.

I still don't understand why it's important for you to shoot with live rounds. Would it be less fun for you to shoot with a paint ball or even some kind of rubber bullet?

I'm genuinely trying to understand this gun culture that is so alien to me
    When discussing mass murder with a leftist it is so hard to take them seriously.
    And this is why discussing guns with right wingers is difficult. Someone’s asking questions out of sincere curiousity and your response is to shut down the discussion, not expand it. 
    I made the assumption that since the antis are always telling me how much training should be needed it was obvious that in order to be trained you'd have to use real ammo.

You can't really train things like marksmanship with paintballs.
    She wasn't talking about training.

Ugh, that ban wasn't very long at all.
    Is that what you want for people that you don't agree with?

Awful boring place to be.
    Nope, just you.

You spend your time in awful boring places? Weird.
    No, I prefer to have discussions from many points of view, not just those that I agree with.  I would also never request that someone be banned either.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    unsung said:
    Narrative: Fuck the NRA, they have blood on their hands.

Reality: Feds blew the background check, shooter stopped by NRA member.

I actually hate that I have to defend the NRA.  I'd never send them a dollar.
    So you think because an NRA member does something helpful we need to suddenly like the NRA?
    Why do you suddenly feel the need to defend the NRA?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    unsung said:
    some people just need to get their daily dose of "I feel superior" instead of contributing to the actual conversation. 
    How about this for contribution. 

Let's go shooting.  We can go to a range and it'll be on my dime.  We can go over all safety aspects and squeeze off a few rounds.
    predictable response. 

and, um, no thanks. I don't want to squeeze anything off with you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:
    And to answer your question, no its not because they can kill. Its just fun. Why aremodel rockets fun? I dont know, they just are. its fun to light a rocket and watch it launch hundreds of feet up. Its fun to shoot clay targets and watch them shatter when you hit them.Most of my guns are .22, essentially the smallest caliber, so it isnt about killing capabilities. 
    Which I guess is why I'm okay with a lot of gun restrictions. I can still target shoot with smaller magazine limits, I can wait 10 days before shooting, I can pass a background check. 
    Ok, of course bows and arrows were created to kill also but I don't think we need fear their use in mass murders.

I still don't understand why it's important for you to shoot with live rounds. Would it be less fun for you to shoot with a paint ball or even some kind of rubber bullet?

When discussing mass murder with a leftist it is so hard to take them seriously.
    And this is why discussing guns with right wingers is difficult. Someone’s asking questions out of sincere curiousity and your response is to shut down the discussion, not expand it. 
    I made the assumption that since the antis are always telling me how much training should be needed it was obvious that in order to be trained you'd have to use real ammo.

Nope, just you.

No, I prefer to have discussions from many points of view, not just those that I agree with.  I would also never request that someone be banned either.  
    But you don't want to have a discussion with someone you deem a 'leftist'. Make up your mind
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Because I don't like the NRA,  but they are not at fault.  The NRA is actually partly responsible for most of the gun control in this country.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    unsung said:

I don't think many people have issues with NRA members.  The NRA members are much more reasonable then the NRA leadership.

Wayne LaPierre should be beaten to death publicly.  He is an absolute piece of shit and I can't imagine that subsequent leaders of the NRA will be as evil as that piece of shit.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2015/mar/18/lena-taylor/most-nra-members-back-background-checks-all-gun-pu/

The majority of NRA members actually hold what you would consider "liberal" views toward gun registration and licensing.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:

Nope, just you.

But you don't want to have a discussion with someone you deem a 'leftist'. Make up your mind
    I'm here aren't I?  Demanding that I go along with a ban is not a discussion.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    RYME said:

RYME said:
    And who was it that stopped the attacker from killing even more people in Texas?
    A law abiding citizen NRA instructor.
    How many of these Mass shooters are NRA members?
    Serious question
    I thought it was because he ran out of ammo, having fired 450 rounds, why else did he stop and come outside, where he was confronted by the guy who shot him? Too bad he couldn’t have carried 1000 rounds, I guess?
    He exchanged fire with the guy who was able to slip a bullet in between the body armor pices the attacker had on.
    He also grabbed the attacker's attention away from shooting more people, because he (the armed citizen) became the immediate threat to him.  That bullet wound that went in between the body Armour layers is what did the attacker in.
    Actually the bullet he put into his own head is what did him in
    Okay the Torso shot would have done him in anyway he just ended it quicker once he knew he was caught and done.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    unsung said:
    Because I don't like the NRA,  but they are not at fault.  The NRA is actually partly responsible for most of the gun control in this country.
    Not at fault for what? This particular fuck up by the Air Force? No, they aren't, and nobody said they were directly responsible for that. You just conjured that tack out of thin air. But that changes absolutely nothing. The NRA are still at fault for the same things they've always been at fault for.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    unsung said:

so you all finally have your "good guy with a gun" and "the laws in place didn't work" scenario to fall back on. Bravo. So let's all stop talking about the problem, because hey, it's obviously not a gun problem, right? No sirree....it's a mental health problem now! As described by the narcissist in chief himself. which is bogus and the studies show it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:

Nope, just you.

I'm here aren't I?  Demanding that I go along with a ban is not a discussion.
    I don't know anything about a ban. I know that you suggested talking to me was pointless because of the political orientation you perceived me to have
  • Options
    unsung said:

I don't think many people have issues with NRA members.  The NRA members are much more reasonable then the NRA leadership.

Wayne LaPierre should be beaten to death publicly.  He is an absolute piece of shit and I can't imagine that subsequent leaders of the NRA will be as evil as that piece of shit.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2015/mar/18/lena-taylor/most-nra-members-back-background-checks-all-gun-pu/

The majority of NRA members actually hold what you would consider "liberal" views toward gun registration and licensing.
    Careful, I got 30 days for speaking ill of someone's impending death, you certainly should not be advocating murder.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone wants their children to live in a place where they can go watch the government beat people to death anyway.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Careful, I got 30 days for speaking ill of someone's impending death, you certainly should not be advocating murder.
    You were celebrating the impending death of a national hero.  I'm talking about an evil piece of shit.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

You were celebrating the impending death of a national hero.  I'm talking about an evil piece of shit.
    We can agree to disagree on that status.  That war monger used those points long ago.
  • Options
    My point is that a guy that was sitting in his living room next door to the church minding his own business without shoes on came out and ended the threat because he was armed and knew what he was doing and took action.
    Back to my other question.  A lot of people want to paint at the NRA as an evil entity. I am an NRA member. How many National Rifle Association members are mass shooters?  Which one of these Mass Shooters is an NRA member? My point is NRA members are not the people you need to worry about. By and large we are law-abiding citizens who mind our own business.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    My point is that a guy that was sitting in his living room next door to the church minding his own business without shoes on came out and ended the threat because he was armed and knew what he was doing and took action.
    Back to my other question.  A lot of people want to paint at the NRA as an evil entity. I am an NRA member. How many National Rifle Association members are mass shooters?  Which one of these Mass Shooters is an NRA member? My point is NRA members are not the people you need to worry about. By and large we are law-abiding citizens who mind our own business.
    How many mass shooters are not gun owners?  

• Options
    edited November 2017
    RYME said:
    How many more people would this attacker have killed if this guy didn't come out from his house and do something about it?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    No automatic alt text available
  • Options
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    How many more people would this attacker have killed if this guy didn't come out from his house and do something about it?
    No idea....maybe none?  Maybe hundreds like tRump said.

My guess is that the police weren't too far away at that point.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:

What the fuck are you talking about?
    It's simple...don't try and have a conversation with a leftist, a commie, a pinko, a red, or a socialist and maybe just maybe President Eisenhower will be successful.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,622
    RYME said:
    The NRA lobbies for less restriction on gun access. We have more mass murders and a higher gun homicide rate in the US because of the proliferation of guns and the ease of purchasing a gun. I think the issue with the NRA is about their legal side, and less with their members, although the members enable the lobbying. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    There is no way of knowing, that is why you cannot have stats on lives saved by gun owners even though they do (most likely) save lives occasionally.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,009
    edited November 2017
    Marksmanship is needed for anyone shooting a gun. If you're a hunter a poor shot will just wound the animal and make it run off to not be found, only to suffer and slowly die. Actually happens a lot even with practice and training, but would be a lot more without it.
    I've never been hunting, but almost everyone I know who has can tell a story about how one got a way. Well, it only got away to go die slowly somewhere else.
    One of the saddest things I saw was a dead deer at the edge of a lake with an arrow in it. Poor thing ran off to get a drink after it was hit and the hunter never found him. I'm not against hunting, but its sad to see a deer go to waste like that.
    So yes, aside from just other safety issues of not practicing how to properly shoot a gun, marksmanship is a good thing.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:

Marksmanship?  

I don't see a need to train gun owners on marksmanship.  That's the military's job
    Exactly
    Not exactly. I personally hope that all gun owners are able to hit what they're aiming at. I don't understand why someone would downplay the need to be proficient with whatever tool you're using.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

• Options
    edited November 2017
    jeffbr said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:

Marksmanship?  

I don't see a need to train gun owners on marksmanship.  That's the military's job
    Exactly
    Not exactly. I personally hope that all gun owners are able to hit what they're aiming at. I don't understand why someone would downplay the need to be proficient with whatever tool you're using.
    The inference was that people should be required to be trained with marksmanship.  Yes, I understand the need/desire for a hunter to want to practice his/her shot.

I was referring to the idea that those in favor of gun control/registration/licensing, etc. would require marksmanship training.  I, for one, don't really care if you are a good shot.  I just believe you should have proper instruction on how to handle and store the weapon before you get a license.  Kind of like how we require people to learn traffic laws before we give them a driver's license.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,009
    That actually made me laugh.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mace1229 said:

Marksmanship?  

Exactly
    The inference was that people should be required to be trained with marksmanship.  Yes, I understand the need/desire for a hunter to want to practice his/her shot.

I was referring to the idea that those in favor of gun control/registration/licensing, etc. would require marksmanship training.  I, for one, don't really care if you are a good shot.  I just believe you should have proper instruction on how to handle and store the weapon before you get a license.  Kind of like how we require people to learn traffic laws before we give them a driver's license.
    I totally agree with your last paragraph, and I would say that a large portion of gun owners do get that kind of education.  You are required to have it to obtain a CCW or even to hunt legally(at least in Texas).  I’m not a paying member of the NRA, but they are probably the most active group in providing the educational trainings.  
  • Options
    Haha, funny!  “But no one is saying that we should ban guns”
This discussion has been closed.