America's Gun Violence

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    You guys are fucking idiots if you think making light of this issue is ok when there are still bodies waiting to be buried.
    It's all a big joke to you, hehe haha hoho, I shoot my bang bang hehe.

Grow up and get a fucking life.
    Positive post right here.  Constructive criticism too, well done.

The man does have a point though.
    no, he doesn't. it ludicrous to compare knives to automatic weapons. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING BANNING HANDGUNS/SINGLE SHOT RIFLES. if you want to compare, that is the only, still semi-illogical, argument that can be made. and no one is suggesting it. 

if there is ever a knife that can kill 58 people and injure 500 more in 10 minutes from 32 floors up and hundreds of meters away in the dark, then you have an argument. 
    So the people suggesting that the US should adopt policies mirroring Australia’s and Europe’s are not suggesting banning handguns and single shot rifles...got it...
    pretty sure those people are only using those examples to highlight that gun control can work. they know that the outright banning of ALL guns is simply not possible in the US. you can't, anyway, without an amendment to the constitution. 
    I agree with you, it’s pointless to suggest banning ALL guns.  That being said, there are plenty around that are drooling over an amendment to the constitution and would throw their vote at anyone pushing a complete ban.  To suggest that “no one wants to ban all guns” is vastly ignoring a significant number of voters that would love that.  Just go to a Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Facebook page and read some of the comments by the gun control lovers.  They are not an anomaly, they are easy to find.
    ok, I shouldn't have said "no one". I should have said "no one who is being realistic". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    You guys are fucking idiots if you think making light of this issue is ok when there are still bodies waiting to be buried.

no, he doesn't. it ludicrous to compare knives to automatic weapons. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING BANNING HANDGUNS/SINGLE SHOT RIFLES. if you want to compare, that is the only, still semi-illogical, argument that can be made. and no one is suggesting it. 

if there is ever a knife that can kill 58 people and injure 500 more in 10 minutes from 32 floors up and hundreds of meters away in the dark, then you have an argument. 
    So the people suggesting that the US should adopt policies mirroring Australia’s and Europe’s are not suggesting banning handguns and single shot rifles...got it...
    pretty sure those people are only using those examples to highlight that gun control can work. they know that the outright banning of ALL guns is simply not possible in the US. you can't, anyway, without an amendment to the constitution. 
    I agree with you, it’s pointless to suggest banning ALL guns.  That being said, there are plenty around that are drooling over an amendment to the constitution and would throw their vote at anyone pushing a complete ban.  To suggest that “no one wants to ban all guns” is vastly ignoring a significant number of voters that would love that.  Just go to a Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Facebook page and read some of the comments by the gun control lovers.  They are not an anomaly, they are easy to find.
    ok, I shouldn't have said "no one". I should have said "no one who is being realistic". 
    I do agree with you there :). Unfortunately, “reality” is a non-issue to a large number of the worlds population these days.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

I agree with you, it’s pointless to suggest banning ALL guns.  That being said, there are plenty around that are drooling over an amendment to the constitution and would throw their vote at anyone pushing a complete ban.  To suggest that “no one wants to ban all guns” is vastly ignoring a significant number of voters that would love that.  Just go to a Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Facebook page and read some of the comments by the gun control lovers.  They are not an anomaly, those quacks are easy to find.  Several here even.
    yes but those people are just as out of touch as the gun advocates and the NRA who think that any legislation is going to lead to all guns being taken away.  most rational people don't believe all guns should be eliminated and that we can achieve more sensible laws. unfortunately the NRA is so powerful that almost any meaningful legislation for any gun control laws is almost impossible to pass at this point. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    An all-gun ban in the U.S.?  I doubt that will happen.   So let's get back to talking about more likely scenarios.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

I agree with you, it’s pointless to suggest banning ALL guns.  That being said, there are plenty around that are drooling over an amendment to the constitution and would throw their vote at anyone pushing a complete ban.  To suggest that “no one wants to ban all guns” is vastly ignoring a significant number of voters that would love that.  Just go to a Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Facebook page and read some of the comments by the gun control lovers.  They are not an anomaly, those quacks are easy to find.  Several here even.
    yes but those people are just as out of touch as the gun advocates and the NRA who think that any legislation is going to lead to all guns being taken away.  most rational people don't believe all guns should be eliminated and that we can achieve more sensible laws. unfortunately the NRA is so powerful that almost any meaningful legislation for any gun control laws is almost impossible to pass at this point. 
    Which is probably why the more logical approach “at this point” would to be focusing on training and education.  It’s idiotic to wait on the political “leaders” to get anything done.  Stop being a sheep and learn a few life saving techniques, situational awareness, firearm training (if you so desire) and most importantly, educate others.  Do not wait on some government program to save your life.  And, before I get bombarded once again, this does not mean you have to stop being a gun control activist, just supplement your activism with some actually real life skills.  Many of them are simple...like knowing where to park at the store...
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

Which is probably why the more logical approach “at this point” would to be focusing on training and education.  It’s idiotic to wait on the political “leaders” to get anything done.  Stop being a sheep and learn a few life saving techniques, situational awareness, firearm training (if you so desire) and most importantly, educate others.  Do not wait on some government program to save your life.  And, before I get bombarded once again, this does not mean you have to stop being a gun control activist, just supplement your activism with some actually real life skills.  Many of them are simple...like knowing where to park at the store...
    well we've reached a new level of idiocy i  see. what should the victims in Vegas  or Pulse Nightclub have done?  yea i guess those victims in Vegas should have kept themselves safe by staying at home...but wait you gun nuts think people are coming into your homes for you and need guns to protect your families (have heard the protect my family argument many times here).  so which is it? if  you are worried you need a gun to protect your home even those victims in vegas wouldn't be safe at home  by gun advocates theories so what should they do?  let's all just bend over and take it hard and deep in the rear from the NRA just because they are so fucking stubborn they won't compromise at all for any meaningful gun legislation. and you wonder why people call gun advocates gun nuts.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    edited October 2017
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

well we've reached a new level of idiocy i  see.  yea i guess those victims in Vegas should have kept themselves safe by staying at home...but wait you gun nuts think people are coming into your homes for you and need guns to protect your families (have heard the protect my family argument many times here).  so which is it? if  you are worried you need a gun to protect your home even those victims in vegas wouldn't be safe at home  by gun advocates theories so what should they do?  let's all just bend over and take it hard and deep in the rear from the NRA just because they are so fucking stubborn they won't compromise at all for any meaningful gun legislation. and you wonder why people call gun advocates gun nuts.
    Wow...to me, “bending over” is not knowing to be aware of exits when you are at a concert, not knowing certain life saving techniques if you were in a situation where someone was bleeding out (maybe even during a car accident).  There were plenty of stories of people using these techniques to save lives during the Vegas shooting, but also plenty of examples of people being ignorant (see the dude standing and flipping the bird to the gunman).  I’m not sure why some of you see learning a bit of personal responsibility as a contradiction to gun control.  I would say that, on top of any gun control, people need to go back to take a little personal responsibility in learning some basic survival techniques.  And you wonder why some gun control pushers are called lazy dumbasses that cannot think for themselves.  Any of the legislation being touted by the most extreme gun control advocates would take YEARS to actually change anything...if it did at all.  Does not hurt to know a few basics about how to survive in the mean time...
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

well we've reached a new level of idiocy i  see.  yea i guess those victims in Vegas should have kept themselves safe by staying at home...but wait you gun nuts think people are coming into your homes for you and need guns to protect your families (have heard the protect my family argument many times here).  so which is it? if  you are worried you need a gun to protect your home even those victims in vegas wouldn't be safe at home  by gun advocates theories so what should they do?  let's all just bend over and take it hard and deep in the rear from the NRA just because they are so fucking stubborn they won't compromise at all for any meaningful gun legislation. and you wonder why people call gun advocates gun nuts.
    Wow...to me, “bending over” is not knowing to be aware of exits when you are at a concert, not knowing certain life saving techniques if you were in a situation where someone was bleeding out (maybe even during a car accident).  There were plenty of stories of people using these techniques to save lives during the Vegas shooting, but also plenty of examples of people being ignorant (see the dude standing and flipping the bird to the gunman).  I’m not sure why some of you see learning a bit of personal responsibility as a contradiction to gun control.  I would say that, on top of any gun control, people need to go back to take a little personal responsibility in learning some basic survival techniques.  And you wonder why some gun control pushers are called lazy dumbasses that cannot think for themselves.  Any of the legislation being touted by the most extreme gun control advocates would take YEARS to actually change anything...if it did at all.  Does not hurt to know a few basics about how to survive in the mean time...
    blaming the victims. what a new low you have achieved here.  bravo.  you must be so proud of yourself.
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

blaming the victims. what a new low you have achieved here.  bravo.  you must be so proud of yourself.
    Blaming the victims???  More like learning from the situation.  Stop trying to twist shit.  I know it’s the only card in some libtard playbooks, but seriously?  Do you not think everyone knowing some basic survival skills is a good thing?  You are basically encouraging ignorance.  
  • But in a sense... demanding people learn 'mass shooting survival tactics' means acceptance.

It's not a suggestion received well when a population is trying to stop the never ending stream of mass murders in the pubic settings by appealing to common sense gun laws.

Don't get me wrong. The idea of preparing yourself for an emergency situation is solid advice- I've been OFA Level II certified 9 or 10 times now. My initial motivation was at the thought of me standing uselessly over someone that needed me. But the context you offer your suggestion is not the greatest when other proactive measures are being promoted (versus reactive).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    he's not blaming the victims. he has stated repeatedly that he is only saying that in addition to gun control legislation, it would be prudent to learn these techniques on how to keep yourself safe in a disaster or keep others safe. he's not saying that anyone in Vegas died because of their own hand. 

no different than learning CPR or how to swim. if someone throws you into a pool, yes it's their fault you drowned, but you also MAY not have drowned had you known how to swim. that's not victim blaming. 

it's called empowering people, not blaming them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Guess I shouldn't have a couple of beers before or at the next PJ show I go to.....just in case someone might shoot up the place. Must always be vigilant and have my guard up.

Preparing for that scenario makes much more sense than passing common sense gun legislation.
    dignin said:
    Guess I shouldn't have a couple of beers before or at the next PJ show I go to.....just in case someone might shoot up the place. Must always be vigilant and have my guard up.

Preparing for that scenario makes much more sense than passing common sense gun legislation.
    good god people. do you read posts? legislation isn't coming anytime soon. you can possibly help yourself in the meantime. THAT IS LITERALLY ALL HE IS SAYING. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    dignin said:

good god people. do you read posts? legislation isn't coming anytime soon. you can possibly help yourself in the meantime. THAT IS LITERALLY ALL HE IS SAYING. 
     his exact quote "take a little personal responsibility in learning some basic survival techniques."   so yea it's up to us not to get shot and killed by a crazed gunman.  
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    But in a sense... demanding people learn 'mass shooting survival tactics' means acceptance.

It's not a suggestion received well when a population is trying to stop the never ending stream of mass murders in the pubic settings by appealing to common sense gun laws.

Don't get me wrong. The idea of preparing yourself for an emergency situation is solid advice- I've been OFA Level II certified 9 or 10 times now. My initial motivation was at the thought of me standing uselessly over someone that needed me. But the context you offer your suggestion is not the greatest when other proactive measures are being promoted (versus reactive).
    It means accepting reality, not acceptance that nothing can change.  The reality is that there is no realistic tenable “fix all” for stopping gun violence or violence in any form.  It has always existed and most likely always will.  But something different has happened.  People have gotten complacent, staring at their phones 95% of the day, completely unaware of the reality that exists in their immediate proximity. Once again, if you truly want to save lives, then learn how too.  Do not stop the good fight, but focus on what you, individually, can be doing to be more aware and prepared for whatever may come your way.  If you see door leading outside wedged open at a movie theater, be aware of it...simple shit like that that could save your own and other’s lives.  If something is out of place, like a backpack at a marathon, notice it!  
    pjhawks said:
    dignin said:

his exact quote "take a little personal responsibility in learning some basic survival techniques."   so yea it's up to us not to get shot and killed by a crazed gunman.  
    Sorry, not at ALL what he means. not sure how many times he or I have to explain that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017

he's not blaming the victims. he has stated repeatedly that he is only saying that in addition to gun control legislation, it would be prudent to learn these techniques on how to keep yourself safe in a disaster or keep others safe. he's not saying that anyone in Vegas died because of their own hand. 

no different than learning CPR or how to swim. if someone throws you into a pool, yes it's their fault you drowned, but you also MAY not have drowned had you known how to swim. that's not victim blaming. 

it's called empowering people, not blaming them. 
    I’m starting to believe that some people are truly against being empowered...they would rather some government babysit them and control every aspect of their being.  Completely out of touch with reality.
    dignin said:

do you think encouraging your daughter to be aware of her surroundings at a house party and maybe taking a self defense class means it's her fault if she gets raped?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:

do you think encouraging your daughter to be aware of her surroundings at a house party and maybe taking a self defense class means it's her fault if she gets raped?
    I shouldn't have to go into how that is not even remotely the same thing.

You should jump on the knives analogy bandwagon with the other gun nutters....it makes more sense. Otherwise stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

dignin said:

Well, maybe you shouldn’t have so many that you are oblivious to your surroundings.  We’ve all seen “that guy” passed out with his pants around his ankle and all of their pockets picked.  Maybe do not be passed out drunk around a bunch of people you do not know.  Darwin would probably have had things to say about “that guy”.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

You should jump on the knives analogy bandwagon with the other gun nutters....it makes more sense. Otherwise stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

holy shit. I'm actually anti-gun. never shot one in my life. never will. guess you just assume that since I don't agree with everything you say I must be a "gun nut". 

not even remotely the same thing. really. and I'm embarrassing myself. ok then. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
    dignin said:

They are both about being responsible and knowing that the world is not always a kind place.  Do you not think that people should learn as much as possible in regards to knowing how to protect themselves and others?  I guess it’s idiotic to be aware of what to know or ask before letting your children stay at a friends house (do they have guns and are they locked up if so)...others might call it being responsible.
  • dignin said:

Dig...

Hugh's already spoken to your assertion, but I feel like I want to chime in as well.

Your last statement is more true than you might think.

Just because something makes less sense doesn't mean it isn't legitimate or valuable. When we went to the Dominican Republic a while back, we were heavily warned to stay within the resort. Obviously, it would be better to fix societal conditions than to manage yourself within them... but even though the advice was contrary to ideal... it was appropriate and perhaps valuable (we'll never know having heeded the advice).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

holy shit. I'm actually anti-gun. never shot one in my life. never will. guess you just assume that since I don't agree with everything you say I must be a "gun nut". 

Are you starting to realize where a portion of my sarcasm comes from when posting around here?  Sorry you got lumped in will all of us “irrational gun nuts”.  Next you are going to be called a “Trump thumper”. 
    I'm in disbelief that something that seems just like basic common sense is being argued against here. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Are you starting to realize where a portion of my sarcasm comes from when posting around here?  Sorry you got lumped in will all of us “irrational gun nuts”.  Next you are going to be called a “Trump thumper”. 
    I am. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    I'm in disbelief that something that seems just like basic common sense is being argued against here. 
    Could be that lack of common sense is the foundation to all of the worlds problems.  Common sense tells me that things will not change overnight and encourages the importance of knowing some basic life preserving and coping skills.  Maybe a little more common sense parenting and teaching children to deal with anger or depression in non violent ways would help a bit in a “culture of violence”?
    I'm just glad i had enough personal responsibility not to get killed on the way into work this morning, or in the office, or at the convenience store i went to for lunch.  i hope i still have enough personal responsibility to make it home tonight.
    pjhawks said:
    I'm just glad i had enough personal responsibility not to get killed on the way into work this morning, or in the office, or at the convenience store i went to for lunch.  i hope i still have enough personal responsibility to make it home tonight.
    hey, lucky you didn't get rammed by some crazed lunatic driver on the way to work. but if one had come your way, maybe good defensive driving skills could have helped. Maybe they couldn't, but since it's not 100%, you're right, I suppose that would be a total waste of time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    pjhawks said:
    Where did you learn to drive and why?  How do you get out of your office if there is a fire?  How did you know which burrito to avoid at the convenience store?  Is all of the above knowledge something that makes you safer and prepared?  Maybe, just maybe, if you did your part and furthered that foundation of knowledge, you might very well be prepared if other situations ever presented themselves.  I sure as hell hope that if I am ever choking in a restaurant, at least one other person has taken a first aid class and knows what to do...Sorry if I believe every responsible person should.
This discussion has been closed.