Options

Good Cop Thread

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Good stuff Last12
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-departments-good-cops-buffalo-officer-fired-stopping-brutality/

While killer cops get sent on paid vacations, it’s hard to imagine what one has to do to actually be fired. It turns out, the answer is be a good cop.

Former Buffalo Police Officer, Cariol Horne is fighting for her pension since she was fired after 19 years on the force, over an incident in 2006 when she stopped a fellow officer from choking a handcuffed suspect.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    JC29856 wrote: »
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-departments-good-cops-buffalo-officer-fired-stopping-brutality/

While killer cops get sent on paid vacations, it’s hard to imagine what one has to do to actually be fired. It turns out, the answer is be a good cop.

Former Buffalo Police Officer, Cariol Horne is fighting for her pension since she was fired after 19 years on the force, over an incident in 2006 when she stopped a fellow officer from choking a handcuffed suspect.

That is completely unbelievable! Everybody should read that one....it just goes to show at what lengths are other officers are willing to let police violence against handcuffed subjects to go before doing something or even speaking up about an incident. Unreal, I hope officer Horne gets her pension she deserves it.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    Awesome find!!!! Way to tarnish an otherwise positive thread!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I'm impressed with this site you frequent, JC!

The MT has nothing on the meaningful dialogue on display there. For example, look at this commentary right after the story:

Top Commenter: She was right and the others were wrong. No grey area here, it's all crystal clear. Cops are a uncivil, animalistic, and barbaric brotherhood.

Next Response: Not only that most of those cops on badges are not even human, they are foul evil spirits aka demonic force's.

Next Response: Hey! I'm in league with demonic forces, and I take offense to that! Don't compare fine, upstanding demons to the incredible assholes that are American police officers.

Just pure, well formulated, rational and heightened thought.

Now I know why you have such an extreme level of concern though! You think cops are demons. Just relax... they're actually not.

A few musings:

1. The 'puncher' is indeed an asshole.
    2. At a very minimum, the woman seems to have a legal case. If there is any substance to this story at all... I'm sure she'll succeed in the courts.
    3. The 'puncher' has been indicted for civil rights violations.
    4. I wonder what the 'puncher' came across at the scene of the domestic violence? I know I'd have a hell of a time refraining from smacking some goof who may have just beaten the shit out of his wife with his fists and an electrical cord.
    5. That's an awful picture of Kevin Costner (I think that's Costner) and his sweetheart!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

The MT has nothing on the meaningful dialogue on display there. For example, look at this commentary right after the story:

Top Commenter: She was right and the others were wrong. No grey area here, it's all crystal clear. Cops are a uncivil, animalistic, and barbaric brotherhood.

Next Response: Not only that most of those cops on badges are not even human, they are foul evil spirits aka demonic force's.

Next Response: Hey! I'm in league with demonic forces, and I take offense to that! Don't compare fine, upstanding demons to the incredible assholes that are American police officers.

Now I know why you have such an extreme level of concern though! You think cops are demons. Just relax... they're actually not.

A few musings:

2. At a very minimum, the woman seems to have a legal case. If there is any substance to this story at all... I'm sure she'll succeed in the courts.
    4. I wonder what the 'puncher' came across at the scene of the domestic violence? I know I'd have a hell of a time refraining from smacking some goof who may have just beaten the shit out of his wife with his fists and an electrical cord.
    5. That's an awful picture of Kevin Costner (I think that's Costner) and his sweetheart!

Interesting you would say that you would have a hard time refraining yourself even if the alleged culprit is handcuffed. However then again it would be rather easy to smack him around once in those said handcuffs.

I know police work is very tough, in fact ANY job one has to work where you could be killed at any moment for no reason at all is a difficult job indeed. However, I don't think it's appropriate or legal for an officer to take out his emotions, actions on an arrestee once he's subdued and handcuffed.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote: »

A few musings:

Interesting you would say that you would have a hard time refraining yourself even if the alleged culprit is handcuffed. However then again it would be rather easy to smack him around once in those said handcuffs.

I know police work is very tough, in fact ANY job one has to work where you could be killed at any moment for no reason at all is a difficult job indeed. However, I don't think it's appropriate or legal for an officer to take out his emotions, actions on an arrestee once he's subdued and handcuffed.

Peace

I agree with you.

I was only making the point that I'm not too sympathetic with men who beat their wives and children. If this cop came to the scene and saw something horrific and he responded emotionally the way he did... I don't feel badly for the asshole who beat his wife.

And yes, I get it. The cop should be held accountable for his unprofessional behaviour if the story is as we read it. As tempting as it might be for a cop to beat the piss out of someone who needs the piss beaten out of them, they simply cannot do it despite the fact that they'd ultimately be doing somebody a favour.
  • Options
    g under p wrote: »

A few musings:

Peace

I agree with you.

I was only making the point that I'm not too sympathetic with men who beat their wives and children. If this cop came to the scene and saw something horrific and he responded emotionally the way he did... I don't feel badly for the asshole who beat his wife.

And yes, I get it. The cop should be held accountable for his unprofessional behaviour if the story is as we read it. As tempting as it might be for a cop to beat the piss out of someone who needs the piss beaten out of them, they simply cannot do it despite the fact that they'd ultimately be doing somebody a favour.

That's why we in America have a system to try their guilt or innocence, convict then sentence those who have committed a crime such as beating a wife or husband. They may get their punishment in prison with a bunk mate like Bubba or Bertha making them feel the pain they inflicted on one they onced loved.

Peace

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    here is a great story. Police chief who plays Santa each year learned signed language to speak to a death girl who had to use an interpreter last year. how awesome is this?

http://www.cambio.com/2014/12/23/thoughtful-santa-learned-sign-language-to-speak-to-a-young-deaf-girl/
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    Just preforming their respective duties but I want to commend two groups today.

The detectives and officers involved in searching for and finding a 14 month old baby who was killed by his mother or mothers boyfriend and thrown , wrapped up in a bag in or near a creek I grew up around. Working in 20 degree and less weather. Mother in jail 150K bond. Unnamed man with her held on other open warrants.
    http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/12/30/columbus-creek-missing-boy-search-rec-center.html

the Chillicothe Police and Ross County Sherrifs searching for a missing pregnant 20 yr old and my county's Dive team from Franklin County is a part of this effort too. again in low air temps and certainly low water temps.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/12/30/chillicothe-ohio-family-of-missing-pregnant-woman-not-losing-hope-as-authorities-continue-their-search.html
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    mickeyrat wrote: »
    Just preforming their respective duties but I want to commend two groups today.

The detectives and officers involved in searching for and finding a 14 month old baby who was killed by his mother or mothers boyfriend and thrown , wrapped up in a bag in or near a creek I grew up around. Working in 20 degree and less weather. Mother in jail 150K bond. Unnamed man with her held on other open warrants.
    http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/12/30/columbus-creek-missing-boy-search-rec-center.html

the Chillicothe Police and Ross County Sherrifs searching for a missing pregnant 20 yr old and my county's Dive team from Franklin County is a part of this effort too. again in low air temps and certainly low water temps.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/12/30/chillicothe-ohio-family-of-missing-pregnant-woman-not-losing-hope-as-authorities-continue-their-search.html

Great stories, Mickey, and this is exactly what we need- cops doing a great job such that others doing the service of police work aspire to that higher standard. Weed out the bums, thugs and racists and acknowledge and praise the work of good men and women.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2015
    Couple cops shot in Alberta doing routine police work- one not expected to make it. Cop that died was supposedly very well liked, respected and noted as a pillar of his community doing much work in the school system.

The guy who shot them is a career criminal and was found dead: A massive manhunt tracked Rehn to an unoccupied home, where police said it appeared he forced his way in.

Police they surrounded the home tried to establish communication. When that failed, they entered the home and found the man dead.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, a police watchdog, said it will investigate the death. It said in a news release that since the body was found while the home being contained by police, it is considered to be a death in police custody

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/wounded-alberta-rcmp-officer-remains-not-expected-to-survive-police/ar-AA8klDu
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited January 2015
    Shout out to the Palm Beach Gardens cop who pulled me over yesterday doing 20 mph over limit but didn't ticket me because "I was a nice guy and I wasn't being an asshole"who also made him laugh.So thanks dude!Much appreciated.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    ^^^^^. That's great RR. Sure they get so much negativity and welcome someone positive and respectful. Have had great experiences with officers as well. Had a cop thank me for my part in making him feel safe during stop, pull way off freeway to safe spot and both hands visible with wallet in one of them. Ha. Still got citation though.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote: »
    ^^^^^. That's great RR. Sure they get so much negativity and welcome someone positive and respectful. Have had great experiences with officers as well. Had a cop thank me for my part in making him feel safe during stop, pull way off freeway to safe spot and both hands visible with wallet in one of them. Ha. Still got citation though.

Try showing a little man cleavage.The female officers will always melt with that one.lol
  • Options
    I do the same .always pull way off,dome light on windows down,hands on wheel.No reason to make their job harder or unsafe.Even though you got a ticket,it still usually helps.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Terrible day in Philly over the past 18 hours or so. Very sad stuff.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150307_Ramsey__Brothers_charged_in_officer_s_killing.html
  • Options

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150307_Ramsey__Brothers_charged_in_officer_s_killing.html

Career criminals being criminals and killing cops while being criminals. Poor poor guys. It's obviously not their faults they are scumbags.

Lock them up and throw away the keys. Seriously.

* Hipps is the first person I have ever seen with a legitimate third eye in the middle of his forehead.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

SAD SAD, indeed.
    waste of sperm and egg.
    hopefully one day this country will wake up and ban handguns.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    rr165892 said:

Shout out to the Palm Beach Gardens cop who pulled me over yesterday doing 20 mph over limit but didn't ticket me because "I was a nice guy and I wasn't being an asshole"who also made him laugh.So thanks dude!Much appreciated.

Some poor (actually very rich) Finnish guy got a $60,000 speeding ticket for going 14 miles over the limit because they base the fine on your income.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

rr165892 said:

Some poor (actually very rich) Finnish guy got a $60,000 speeding ticket for going 14 miles over the limit because they base the fine on your income.
    If he's that rich then he will have a great legal team.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rr165892 said:

My close buddy chris told me he knows in the first 35-45 seconds if you're getting a ticket or not. Sounds like you know the routine. Lights on, hands 10-2 on steering wheel. Very impressed RR. Hahaha
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717

badbrains wrote: »

My close buddy chris told me he knows in the first 35-45 seconds if you're getting a ticket or not. Sounds like you know the routine. Lights on, hands 10-2 on steering wheel. Very impressed RR. Hahaha

Man! You guys have it dialed in, haha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited June 2015
    A Colorado policeman, responding to a car accident, takes a 2 year old girl from a paramedic and distracts her from the overturned vehicle by singing twinkle twinkle little star. The little girl, who was soaked in gasoline, lost her father in the crash. Her mother and brother were airlifted to the hospital and are both in critical condition.

There is a picture of the officer holding the girl, but I didn't have time to take the picture off of the tv. I will look for a link on CNN.com and post it here if I find it.

Found it quickly on Google. He is pointing to the emergency vehicle lights to distract her as well. Well done sir.

Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Heartbreakingly sweet.

Glad to see worthwhile and decent acts being posted here.
  • Options
    There really is way more good out here then bad.It just dosent lead the news.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rr165892 said:

There really is way more good out here then bad.It just dosent lead the news.

Yup