Options

How well can you recall your Pearl Jam concert related experiences?

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    JimmyV said:

Drank way too much at the Toronto show in 2009. I remember the awesome opening solo sets well, but the show itself after that is a blur. Listening to the boot there are entire stretches I don't remember at all. Never again.

I've gotten drunk at a few shows, but never to the point where I don't remember the show itself. I have a pretty good internal automatic cut-off switch.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2014
    I see Camden keeps coming up... I recently discussed this with my buddy that the 2006 and 2008 shows were average and pretty lackluster as PJ shows go... 2003 July 4th weekend with RITFW in the first set for the fireworks was fucking awesome though... that's the first and last time you would actually prefer a lawn seat at the urine soaked shit hole called an amphitheater in that bombed out joke of a city

Please don't play there again PJ
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,790
    For my 16 shows I know

- where I sat
    - the setlist in pretty good detail
    - the openers
    - the rarities
    - who I went with
    - if I got any merch
    - what I did beforehand
    - what I did afterwards
    - how I got my tix
    - which songs I heard for the first time that night
    - EV's ramblings
    - special guests
    - opening acts
    - people I met

I guess I'm a little obsessive haha
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    JimmyV said:

Drank way too much at the Toronto show in 2009. I remember the awesome opening solo sets well, but the show itself after that is a blur. Listening to the boot there are entire stretches I don't remember at all. Never again.

Oh yeah, thats a show I remember very clearly.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    After 80 something shows, "THE COLORS BLEND"
    I dont drink but I never saw a show without burning a few down. Even front row center for London, Ont. ;)
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    PJ shows are a strange mixture of remembering every detail super duper clear, and it all being a blur because it's so mind-blowing. Can't really explain it haha
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    DuncsDuncs Posts: 423
    ldent42 said:

yea I've got the memory of a goldfish. The little things I remember have very little to do with the performance.

Ha...me too.

• Options
    Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    After 33 PJ and 10 EV shows.

- where I sat : all
    - most of the setlist : few
    - parts of the setlist : almost all
    - the openers: some
    - the rarities : most
    - who I went with: all
    - if I got any merch : all
    - what I did beforehand : all
    - what I did afterwards : all
    - how I got my tix: all
    - my first time live songs : most
    - EV's ramblings : some
    - special guests : most
    - opening acts : all
    - people I met : all
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• Options
    I will always remember the downpour in Kansas City 2003. We were super close and since in was at an amphitheater, all the water ran toward the stage, putting us in what seemed like two foot of water. So awesome though. Anyone there?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210

For my 16 shows I know

- where I sat
    - the setlist in pretty good detail
    - the openers
    - the rarities
    - who I went with
    - if I got any merch
    - what I did beforehand
    - what I did afterwards
    - how I got my tix
    - which songs I heard for the first time that night
    - EV's ramblings
    - special guests
    - opening acts
    - people I met

I guess I'm a little obsessive haha

Love this list. I'm going back & seeing what I remember about the shows I've been to. B-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    PolicemanPoliceman Posts: 61
    Some shows (18 this tour) I can recall more than others depending on how much I drank but after all these years I can remember my first show. Soldier Field July 11th 1995 It was amazing and the start of a life long habit. That was a day/experience I'll never forget!
    Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    samjam said:

PJ shows are a strange mixture of remembering every detail super duper clear, and it all being a blur because it's so mind-blowing. Can't really explain it haha

A very good explanation.
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    Some shows stay in my mind very well, others not! I can clearly remember the Arras festival in 2012..a horrible downpour..soaking wet, back to the hotel to change clothes, heading to the venue only to experience the next downpour...lol
    I remember florence and the machine started and the clouds dissapeared immediately, it felt like someone up there in the sky enjoyed her voice. Even eddie mentioned how beautiful it was!
    I can hardly remember Berlin 09 though it was a great and intense show. Well, the boots help!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I remember most all the things that happened at the 11 shows I've been to over the last 20 years. Don't remember ever detail, but it helps that I have the bootlegs for all of them.There are a few shows that I know I'll remember most everything about them, like my first show, PJ20 and Wrigley
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    I find it somewhat difficult to differentiate some shows, especially when you see multiple ones in the same tour, and even worse on back-to-back nights at the same venue. Gorge '06 was memorable for many reasons. But it's a lot easier to remember having the posters, bootlegs and pictures readily available.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I cant forget the Gorge shows. That shit was HOTTTTTT!
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    I tend not to drink too much before the shows as I don't want to spend my time in the toilet! I remember the 3 shows are attended well and find the opening song the most emotive, of a girl, long road and go being the openers I've seen. The bootlegs obviously help to recall the gigs and sometimes feels like time travel! Each show is always different and a journey, rearviewmirror always being a highlight for me
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    I've actually found that my emotions during a show can really colour my memories with PJ, and it actually creates altered memories, lol. I haven't drank or gotten high at a PJ show before (not yet), so have pretty clear memories of all the songs and stuff, but I tend to end up with certain impressions that later make less sense than i would have expected once I watch the show on youtube, lol. Or sometimes my memories swap places with one another. Like I remember that an improv moment done where Eddie was sitting down or whatever was actually another song, and the improv moment was half an hour later where Eddie was standing up. Or I get an idea about something Eddie said and then see later that my interpretation pretty much twisted it's message around to mean something that was never really intended. Frankly, this tendency has me a bit concerned about how my brain works. :| It can be fun, but i really don't want to be making up my own realities either, lol! Perhaps it's actually just that I am so lost in the experience that my perceptions are out of wack even though I'm straight and sober. Seems pretty plausible considering going how totally over the moon i feel at a PJ show... and have actually I only experienced this when I'm in the pit; obviously that increased intensity has an impact. Anyway, thank goodness for youtube and people who like to film shows, lol. It's wonderful that I have a way to straighten these things out in my own head! :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    With a couple more tours under my belt and a lack of touring activity I thought this would be a fun thread to revive
  • Options
    And I recently picked up a ticket book :) 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528

A big blur mostly. 

• Options
    All I know is that I continue to perpetuate my memories of seeing Pearl Jam.
    It takes months to absorb what you have just witnessed.
    Fuck I love Pearl Jam.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I have to say I don't have a great autobiographical memory, and that applies to every aspect of my life, not just PJ shows. And it doesn't have anything to do with drinking, either. Listening to the boots definitely helps me. I do have a clear idea of where I sat and what I could see or not see for every show, but without the boots I have little memory of the setlist and special touches.

For those who say that they remember everything, I am curious as to how much that might be affected by listening to the boots. Would the memories really be as crystal clear without that reinforcement?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Presently, I can do really well. I can always say who opened, what song opened, rarities played, other special moments. Now, since I'm staring down some possible onset of dementia, I'm looking for ways to document this for the future when maybe it's not so easy to recall these. 
    Thank god for bootlegs, guys. Those will really help. I've got official or unofficial boots for every single show. I like to think that while my brain may go, moments like these shows and my son might be etched in my heart and not the brain. Maybe I won't remember the moments, but they're a part of me. Cherish yours mi amigos here. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    I've  been to way too many shows over the last 25, almost 26, years to remember all the minutia. I can easily remember  the first couple and the most recent few. But in between has become mostly a blur. And this has nothing to do with alcohol or drugs as I always attend PJ shows sober.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    edited June 2017
    I will always remember my first show. New Orleans, when the Ramones opened. When PJ came out to Animal, that was the most chaotic place I can ever remember being.

+1

but the shows from 2000-2004 are a little blurry due to the copious amounts of alcohol consumed during the tailgating.

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2017
    Havent been to a "proper" PJ show since 2003.  Festivals since then tho

i remember....
    -all seat locations
    -every opening song
    -and then just a random memory or two of each show (weather/the drive/Ed comment/etc)

bootlegs help alot

• Options
    1st show was Camden, NJ '98.
    aside from opening with Release, I remember during Alive, there was a kid on the side of the stage in a wheelchair with his dad next to him. Eddie is singing, and starts waving to the kid. The kid doesn't notice him (he's looking at the crowd), but Eddie keeps singing and waving until the kid's dad nudges him. The kid looks over, smiles, and waves back. Eddie was also sick that night--it made it that much more surreal. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    ^^^i was at that show. Didnt pick up on that. That's cool

Release was basically played in the dark.  Thats my main Camden98 memory.  Thought it was a nice way to play it
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    I pretty much remember every detail, since I never drink or get high at PJ shows, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata