Options

Fan Club Scalpers

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited June 2014
    DewieCox said:

SS9981 said:

I have to admit that for what GA tickets go for, it's tempting to sell them. Not gonna do it, but it would be pretty sweet to finish paying off my house. A buddy told me there were St Louis GA tix going for almost 8 grand a pop. Glad it only paid $80.

yup. Whats to stop some people from teaming up and signing up wives (and extra email addresses) and shit to gain extra shots at tickets and finance their whole "tour" as well as trading for other GA shows? Im sure this shit is happening. I stumbled on a member's ebay page/"store" and they had sold multiple copies Let it Ride just after they were sold here, 1 per member.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    jamburger said:

How many more albums/tour cycles do you think this band has left in them that would make any of this matter?

The elephant in the room. I do worry they will follow the R.E.M. model. One day we will wake up to a statement out of the blue and they will be gone.

I have friends who laugh at me for going to so many shows. My response is always the same. "They won't be around forever."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649

MayDay10 said:

eddiec said:

PJ_Soul said:

My best friend's brother is a major ticket broker and he has connections with scalpers all over north America in major cities (sorry to say - I don't respect what he does). He told me that scalpers just don't bother with this shit. Hardly ever. Way too much trouble for most scalpers, and they don't like to risk getting called out by the fan clubs or the fans. I trust this guy's knowledge of the industry, since he is a pretty big player within it.

Exactly, this new system has not created a scalper 'heaven' as many on here think. It's basically some random 10clubbers who won GA and are trying to make a proifit. Hardly a scalper epidemic.

exactly
    Except now its much easier to do. This individual knows he/she has the best possible seats and has this sale flaunted out there. Hasn't been shut down or caught, and likely wont. Its only a matter of time before this becomes more wide-spread if the same exact system is in place.

If its all a lottery and GA is handled the same way 1st, 2nd, 9th, and 10th rows were handled, it would be much harder to peddle these things ahead of time, especially for those who get in with high 10c numbers who have maybe a 25% for GA and 75% low level 10c tix and wont know until they pick up their tickets 3PM the day of the show.

no..all members..old or new can go for GA .noone said only new young members can go for GA only...is only luck to win..and all has the same chances..fair for the same money all paying...
    if waz f-5 again things will be the same ..the fact they add GA tic for the american shows has nothing to do with the method they sell tickets..Lottery is the method they sell tickets
    GA Tickets and seniority has nothing to do with lottery..they could just throw the tix from empire state building for fans waiting downstares..would be the same number of tickets..the same number will win..the same numbers will shut out ..all members old or new would have the chance..and seniority will mean the same..better reserved tic after u score tix..
    no matter what u do..more strategy more thinking..the tickets 10c has avaiilable for sale are the same..how many want them are the same..how many will score are the same..how many shut out are the same..only the method change..they do a lottery..they had f-5..the could choose only the old fans..they could choose only new fans..they could choose fans their name srarts from A-M..or what ever
    numbers will not change..100 tickes for 200 people means half will score..half will lose no matter the method
    and this method has one HUGE PLUS
    no fan can do anything to beat the system..no power means fair for all
    You can beat the system. Add you wife, your friends.
    Old system, you would not be be adding new memberships to those around you because they would be, in theory, bad seats. (Again not bad seats but equal to TM). Now, you can add the people around you to the 10c to increase your chances at the best possible seats.

What this does is add more names in the mix which decreases the odds.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

jamburger said:

How many more albums/tour cycles do you think this band has left in them that would make any of this matter?

The elephant in the room. I do worry they will follow the R.E.M. model. One day we will wake up to a statement out of the blue and they will be gone.

I have friends who laugh at me for going to so many shows. My response is always the same. "They won't be around forever."

Yup.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Tours will be less frequent, but I think they're on the Who/Stones career model at this point. I think eventually they'll get back to bigger tours every few years.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    id rather see them quit (the big rock shows) before they turn into the Stones...out of breath, out of time, and just trying too hard...not to say they shouldnt still make music, but you have to adapt your show to what you are capable of pulling off.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    They need to change the format of the lottery. GA and Res being separate options is a ripe loophole for people to take advantage of.

These guy have a SOLID 10 years left IMO, maybe more if they remain in good general fit health.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    Obviously people are buddying up or using a spouse's account for two chances, etc. I don't really have much of a problem with that because one of the great side effects of the new system is that there are always extras available to the shows.

I've never been one to get too worked up over whether I get a ticket to a show on the day of the sale or not. There are always plenty of ways to get in, but now it's super easy to find an extra GA ticket here and there if you are patient.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    I also don't think too many people are going to do much more than sign their spouse up or something for a 10C account. If you have something like 5 accounts and are trying to exploit this system, you have to make the initial investment of the 10C dues on the chance you will get tickets, then manage the ticket buying in such a way that you are able to take the hit if you win all your ticket requests.

You also have to make sure you are using different payment methods for each account, and that the owner of the account will be available to pick up the other tickets that you have won.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like anything beyond having a ticket buddy is a pain in the ass and not likely to be a rampant problem.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I think I would be able to borrow someone's ID for a night. Initial investment of $20 a chance is nothing for the payoff... do you need different payment methods?

Is it possible to sign up with different email addresses? How about physical addresses? I have 3-4 I could use.

its 10c members your talking about. The most desperate and adaptive group in the world we are.

I just dont see the harm in tucking the GA into a lottery inside the lottery. I can only think of positives.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    You can try and sign up your wife, your 12 year old kid, your sister, your brother, and your Mom, but they still have to physically GO TO THE SHOW and pick up tickets if they win. I don't know about you but I can't think of any non PJ fan friends or family that would spend any more then a half hour driving out of their way for a band they don't care about and a concert they won't be going to just so YOU can get extra tickets.

Maybe if you flipped their extra ticket and sold it for more then twice face value so they actually made some money on it but any ethical ticket revoking fearing 10C member wouldn't do that.

What would you say if someone called you up and said "I REALLY want extra Justin Bieber tickets so I can take my kid's friends to the show so can you sign up for his fan club and drive 5.5 hrs to pick them up at will call for me?" "Oh and BTW the show is on Tuesday night."

That sure sounds like something you would want to do right?

I think the REAL abuse of the system is going to be few and far between. Maybe 2 or 3 unscrupulous people discreetly sell an extra GA ticket to scalpers here and there but I don't see this being widespread.

On the other hand if you have a spouse, child, or close friend that always wanted to go see PJ but never bothered to sign up for the fan club because they would have a 500XXX 10C number today then I say good for them. It may be the only way any of us get more then 1 or 2 shows in the future.

I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    jdopj said:

MayDay10 said:

eddiec said:

PJ_Soul said:

My best friend's brother is a major ticket broker and he has connections with scalpers all over north America in major cities (sorry to say - I don't respect what he does). He told me that scalpers just don't bother with this shit. Hardly ever. Way too much trouble for most scalpers, and they don't like to risk getting called out by the fan clubs or the fans. I trust this guy's knowledge of the industry, since he is a pretty big player within it.

Exactly, this new system has not created a scalper 'heaven' as many on here think. It's basically some random 10clubbers who won GA and are trying to make a proifit. Hardly a scalper epidemic.

exactly
    Except now its much easier to do. This individual knows he/she has the best possible seats and has this sale flaunted out there. Hasn't been shut down or caught, and likely wont. Its only a matter of time before this becomes more wide-spread if the same exact system is in place.

If its all a lottery and GA is handled the same way 1st, 2nd, 9th, and 10th rows were handled, it would be much harder to peddle these things ahead of time, especially for those who get in with high 10c numbers who have maybe a 25% for GA and 75% low level 10c tix and wont know until they pick up their tickets 3PM the day of the show.

no..all members..old or new can go for GA .noone said only new young members can go for GA only...is only luck to win..and all has the same chances..fair for the same money all paying...
    if waz f-5 again things will be the same ..the fact they add GA tic for the american shows has nothing to do with the method they sell tickets..Lottery is the method they sell tickets
    GA Tickets and seniority has nothing to do with lottery..they could just throw the tix from empire state building for fans waiting downstares..would be the same number of tickets..the same number will win..the same numbers will shut out ..all members old or new would have the chance..and seniority will mean the same..better reserved tic after u score tix..
    no matter what u do..more strategy more thinking..the tickets 10c has avaiilable for sale are the same..how many want them are the same..how many will score are the same..how many shut out are the same..only the method change..they do a lottery..they had f-5..the could choose only the old fans..they could choose only new fans..they could choose fans their name srarts from A-M..or what ever
    numbers will not change..100 tickes for 200 people means half will score..half will lose no matter the method
    and this method has one HUGE PLUS
    no fan can do anything to beat the system..no power means fair for all
    You can beat the system. Add you wife, your friends.
    Old system, you would not be be adding new memberships to those around you because they would be, in theory, bad seats. (Again not bad seats but equal to TM). Now, you can add the people around you to the 10c to increase your chances at the best possible seats.

What this does is add more names in the mix which decreases the odds.
    yes..same as before lottery..u can add wife and friends before....and in the past when more people was trying the same time trying ti score..more people shut out
    no matter the system..100 tix for 500 members means 400 will shut out....only 100 will score..will never change that
    when have tixkets enough for all..no matter the system all will score
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    no need to mention..with befire system...10 different people was log in in the same acount..and all try to score..the same time..had more chances one of them to add tix in card...so much cheating with f-5..thanks god they change it
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    people arent currently debating lottery vs F5.

its the ability for risk-free dummy 500xxx accounts to go for GA tickets when they should be put in a lottery after the fact.

People werent signing up 500xxx accounts to get extra on f5. There is no advantage in that. As it is now, I can X4 my chances for GA without even getting creative (*disclaimer: but I wont).
  • Options
    But there shouldn't even be a way for one person to have more then one account under their own personal name that they need to pick up tickets with an ID from. Unless 10C is so lax that they don't have a search query to check for previously signed up names and emails. Hell I can't even use the same password more then once on some secure websites. I can't imagine anyone can sign up with the same name 4 times.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

its the ability for risk-free dummy 500xxx accounts to go for GA tickets when they should be put in a lottery after the fact.

People werent signing up 500xxx accounts to get extra on f5. There is no advantage in that. As it is now, I can X4 my chances for GA without even getting creative (*disclaimer: but I wont).

how many ids tou have??how many from your family and friends u will add and lets say boston u live will fly ti chicago for wrigley show??to pick up the tickets??how many shows they play close to your hometown??how often?every year??will u buy membership to all friends and wife without know they will tour for sure this year,?u can only score tix only if was a member before the tour announcement....the scenarios are unreal..when they tour for only 10-15 shows every 2 years at usa..where u can list the ticket as fan club and not get reported thw same day??
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    you dont need to maintain your memberships. Especially now. Just when you know they are about to announce shows.

Say for instance, my buddy and I usually go to a show or 2 together. We would always use my account to get tickets due to my number (309XXX) being better.
    Now, I would put in mine, my wife's, he would put his in, and his GFs. Both spouses/GFs wouldnt mind letting us use their ID for a night and we would just find a nice lady to scoop up our tix for us (if the wives won and not us). This would give me and my friend 4x the chances over someone like me in this last lottery. If we won more than once, we could trade for another GA show, or if we were sleazy, make some bucks (who cares if the wife's account was terminated?)
    There are people engaging in similar activity. No denying that.

I also wonder if I can set up an account at my second house and my dad's house?

If GA is tucked away, none of this bullshit happens.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649

MayDay10 said:

how many ids tou have??how many from your family and friends u will add and lets say boston u live will fly ti chicago for wrigley show??to pick up the tickets??how many shows they play close to your hometown??how often?every year??will u buy membership to all friends and wife without know they will tour for sure this year,?u can only score tix only if was a member before the tour announcement....the scenarios are unreal..when they tour for only 10-15 shows every 2 years at usa..where u can list the ticket as fan club and not get reported thw same day??
    Example: my buddy and I have been in the 10c for awhile. We would take friends, family, and wives under our tickets, because they would be the better seats.

New system: sign up friends, family, wives we would normally take under our tickets in the 10c for increased odds and more opportunities for GA.
    Instead of 2 people going for tix, now it's 4.

Not the same as 100 tix for 500 accounts. Now 100 tix for 750 accounts. Worse odds.

Not sure how you all don't see that this is happening.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    MayDay10 said:

you dont need to maintain your memberships. Especially now. Just when you know they are about to announce shows.

Say for instance, my buddy and I usually go to a show or 2 together. We would always use my account to get tickets due to my number (309XXX) being better.
    Now, I would put in mine, my wife's, he would put his in, and his GFs. Both spouses/GFs wouldnt mind letting us use their ID for a night and we would just find a nice lady to scoop up our tix for us (if the wives won and not us). This would give me and my friend 4x the chances over someone like me in this last lottery. If we won more than once, we could trade for another GA show, or if we were sleazy, make some bucks (who cares if the wife's account was terminated?)
    There are people engaging in similar activity. No denying that.

I also wonder if I can set up an account at my second house and my dad's house?

If GA is tucked away, none of this bullshit happens.

You know, every time I've picked up my 10 Club tickets from the window, handed over my ID, I've had the ticket agent look down at my photo and then look up at me, before handing over my tickets. Is this not happening to you? Why do you think it's not going to be questioned when you don't find the wife's/girlfriend's doppelganger?
  • Options
    I have never had the impression they have looked closely, to be honest.
  • Options
    Well it doesn't take much to see a face matches a photo. They're looking closely enough to get your name to pull your envelope.
  • Options
    BTW - Any other potential sales of GA ticket been noticed yet? Or just this sole Craigslist ad?
  • Options
    I have noticed a number of people with "extra pairs" for whatever reason trading on the forum.

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    good grief....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    edit
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's not like impersonating somebody else for concert tickets is illegal or anything, but you would have to be a really shitty employee to just accept ANY ID matching the ticket holders name and hand over tickets without actually taking a second to look over the person and determine that they at least look similar to the ID! If the ID shows a 40 yr. old 5'2" brunette woman that weights 180 lbs and has a double chin I would think a 30 yr. old 5'8" 125 lb. blonde that looks nothing alike shouldn't just be given those tickets.

Could someone go through great enough lengths to make a "fake ID" like a teenage kid trying to buy cigs or booze? Sure, but isn't that taking it a bit far?

Most modern drivers licenses have thick lamination, holograms, etc. to prevent someone from making a fake easily. It's not like your run of the mill ID 15 or 20 years ago. I'm sure someone in OH has no idea what the hell a CA driver's license looks like but still.

And there's no fucking way I would mail a random stranger from another state my drivers license and not get it back for 2-4 days just so they can go to a damn concert.

Again, it just sounds too complicated to easily cheat the system.
    Post edited by indifferentman on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I have noticed a number of people with "extra pairs" for whatever reason trading on the forum.

Nothing new. Even before the lottery, when the system would be prone to crashing, even I and my show buddy from Pittsburgh would both go after the same show and would occasionally both wind up with a completed transaction before we were able to tell each other. We've done the same with the lottery. Left us with an "extra pair" the couple of times it happened and they've always been kept in the family. Should we have not tried to secure our seats in this manner?
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Wait, who needs to mail drivers licenses to strangers?

I think you guys are making it seem a lot more complicated than it really is.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

It's not like impersonating somebody else for concert tickets is illegal or anything,

I believe it most certainly is.

Using their ID is I mean.

Post edited by jamburger on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jamburger said:

MayDay10 said:

Nothing new. Even before the lottery, when the system would be prone to crashing, even I and my show buddy from Pittsburgh would both go after the same show and would occasionally both wind up with a completed transaction before we were able to tell each other. We've done the same with the lottery. Left us with an "extra pair" the couple of times it happened and they've always been kept in the family. Should we have not tried to secure our seats in this manner?
    Im all for the lottery, no doubt.
    I would think it would be more equitable and fair if GA tickets were treated like the 1, 2, 9, and 10th rows were, and it wouldnt be nearly as easy or appealing to get more ping pong balls in the jar. I cant think of any drawback to that (especially if they did The Boss method).

I would be curious to see the entries into any of the more coveted GA lotteries and how they were distributed fan club number-wise.

I feel this current system skew toward the newer members and those who want extra chances.... while good numbers get hooked up in reserved. Middling numbers like me (300) are really hosed.